Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

No it hasnt. Magic Johnson, Larry Bird, Michael Jordan, Isiah thomas, Hakeem Olajuwon, these guys were all drafted by a team and they built those teams into champions, they didn't take the path of least resistance by creating a superteam.

In the past teams were built, you never saw big time superstars forming all star teams through free agency.

What Durant did was just lame.

It's always been dominated by a handful of strong teams is what I meant. And why is free agency looked at as any different than the draft? They are both tools that a team can use to get better. One is not more honorable than the next.

Lakers signed Kareem as a free agent didn't they? Then drafted Magic, won a title and followed that up by also having the #1 overall pick in James Worthy the next year.

The Bulls drafted Jordan and Pippen but signed a lot of their team as well like Rodman.

The Rockets drafted Hakeem then later traded for Kenny smith and the season after that Clyde Drexler

It feels like people just hate on players leaving as free agents because it takes the power away from the team. It's just too much anarchy that players can sign wherever they want

Because it's cowardly as tons of people have said. One game away from the finals and now he's joining the team he couldn't beat.

Or he's going to what he believes is a better situation for him and his personal life as well.

Nobody on here would be upset if he went to the Wizards but going to a good team is a problem lol

• Like 1

Bird and Magic got drafted to the two best organizations in basketball. Isiah Thomas had several hall of famers around him. Jordan's team won 50 games WITHOUT him, and my man Hakeem was a beast, but he didn't win two titles until Clyde got there.

The Warriors built a team and won a championship. They just lost, Durant just lost, so we're going to punish them for not wanting to lose and joining forces? Get outta here man.

This too! If KD went back to OKC and Westrbook dipped in 2017, how dumb would KD look? He'll be just another Melo honestly.

He was up 3-1 on GS and then he leaves to go there to play?  That's weak, to me it says he doesn't believe in himself.

Its a different mentality these days with the younger crowd.

I can't believe people are defending these type of moves? And if he wants rings he should've played better when his team was up 3-1 on these same GS Warriors.

Call it getting older and more mello about things, but I really care less who a player signs with, for how much money, in any sport anymore.  I'm defending it because it's his decision to make.  Not mine, yours or anyone else's to make.  And it doesn't impact me in any way shape or form.

Edited by Dont Taze Me Bro

It's always been dominated by a handful of strong teams is what I meant. And why is free agency looked at as any different than the draft? They are both tools that a team can use to get better. One is not more honorable than the next.

Lakers signed Kareem as a free agent didn't they? Then drafted Magic, won a title and followed that up by also having the #1 overall pick in James Worthy the next year.

The Bulls drafted Jordan and Pippen but signed a lot of their team as well like Rodman.

The Rockets drafted Hakeem then later traded for Kenny smith and the season after that Clyde Drexler

It feels like people just hate on players leaving as free agents because it takes the power away from the team. It's just too much anarchy that players can sign wherever they want

Or he's going to what he believes is a better situation for him and his personal life as well.

Nobody on here would be upset if he went to the Wizards but going to a good team is a problem lol

Yep, better situation for sure. Gets to coast to an NBA finals. Can't argue that. Real impressive, that Durant

KD was never going to take a long term deal if he went back to OKC for this reason. This isn't part of the argument.

It is part of the discussion because he said he wanted to make a long term decision this summer and not have to do this again in 1-2 years.

So he took what he felt was the most solid long term option. He knows that GS core is locked up. The Thunder and not nearly the same sure thing

• Like 1

Y'all keep on talking about the 3-1 lead on the Warriors... The Warriors were obliviously off their game the entire playoffs and then Curry got injured. Yet OKC still blew a 3-1, they don't have Ibaka anymore, and who's to say that the Warriors weren't going to improve?

It is part of the discussion because he said he wanted to make a long term decision this summer and not have to do this again in 1-2 years.

So he took what he felt was the most solid long term option. He knows that GS core is locked up. The Thunder and not nearly the same sure thing

He took a two year deal though?

Again, you don't care that he left, just that he went to a good team?

Do you hold yourself to this same standard in life? lol

You never do anything that makes your life easier or makes you happier huh? Ok

No, why would I care that he left? Yes, I care that he's taking the easy way out.

He was up 3-1 on GS and then he leaves to go there to play?  That's weak, to me it says he doesn't believe in himself.

Its a different mentality these days with the younger crowd.

Well, look how it turned out for Stockton and Malone........after 18 years.  Maybe he doesn't want his legacy to end up like theirs.  

Let's not pretend like Barkley didn't want the trade to the rockets to happen.  He was chasing a ring/title. 

Durant had every right to make this decision.  I don't put any blame on him, a guy like Lebron, or Horford for going elsewhere. 

He's going to have more pressure on him to win the title this season than any other player in the league.

The hot takes and salty-retired vet opinions are going to be out of control. 

The difference is, Barkley was aging at that point. Past your prime sure, ring chase all you want. But its sad when someone in their prime does it.

Can y'all stop defending this beta male behavior? LOL 

This isn't like your job. This is a game and he's supposed to be a competitor. Talking about his livelihood and quality of life like he isn't already a multi-millionaire, and poised to make many more millions no matter what decision he made is pointless. 

• Like 1

No it hasnt. Magic Johnson, Larry Bird, Michael Jordan, Isiah thomas, Hakeem Olajuwon, these guys were all drafted by a team and they built those teams into champions, they didn't take the path of least resistance by creating a superteam.

In the past teams were built, you never saw big time superstars forming all star teams through free agency.

What Durant did was just lame.

How a superteam is created is irrelevant. Either you're on one or you aren't. You dont get credit for the work of the GM.

• Like 1

At the end of the day, who really cares?

Sports are supposed to be all about competition and me personally I want to see the best go up against the best. Seeing a star player join an already elite team to get an easier road to a title is just lame and defeats the point.

Whatever, at least I won't have to bother watching NBA until the Finals next year.

And how is this easier? Back to a previous point of mine... If the Warriors lose this season, KD will get annihilated. Y'all acting like the Warriors are seriously going to coast to a title. It's not going to go down like that. He's going to have to earn it.

Well, he theoretically eliminated one of his big threats in OKC. That inherently makes it easier. It's basically now the Clippers, who are all talk, no substance, or the Spurs.

Edited by justice98

And we won't go through the same rigmarole again in two years because why?

Because he has said that he doesn't want to do the free agency hoopla again.  Yes, technically he will be a free agent after next year when he opts out.  But opting out allows him to make more money long term with the Warriors.  

It's basically a one year deal, knowing that GS will resign him to a max contract after next season.  Just gets him more money than signing a straight 4 year deal with them now.  

Or the Wizards...

Oh boy :P

Y'all keep on talking about the 3-1 lead on the Warriors... The Warriors were obliviously off their game the entire playoffs and then Curry got injured. Yet OKC still blew a 3-1, they don't have Ibaka anymore, and who's to say that the Warriors weren't going to improve?

They dont have Ibaka, but they gained Olidpo and Ilyasova, which is a net positive. Especially since Ibaka decided he wanted to be a guard and shoot long jumpers.

Edited by justice98
  • Like 1

Yeah, Miami being the first "super team" is overblown. Boston got KG and Allen to join Pierce. And the other examples people have listed of teams using more than just drafting, to get big talents...

Up 3-1 losers, unite! Hahaha, will be interesting to see if there are enough jumpers to go around now...

They dont have Ibaka, but yhry gained Olidpo and Ilyasova, which is a net positive. Especially since Ibaka decided he wanted to be a guard and shoot long jumpers.

I'll admit that I did not remember that Ilyasova was part of the trade. I will agree that Olidipo plus Ilyasova is > than Ibaka in hindsight. Especially for that team.

Edited by MLSKINS