Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

It is. LeBron was the alpha dog on those Miami teams. Durant just agreed to become Steph Curry's sidekick. At best, his legacy is now as Scottie Pippen. At worst, Mark Aquirre or Adrian Dantley. He gave up his chance at being in Bird or LeBron's class for good.

I'm disappointed he proved out to be such a ****. I thought he wasn't but he is.

Steve, you really think staying in OKC would have put Durant on that level. I love Durant man, but he was going to have to win a handful a titles to reach that level and he just wasn't going to do that in OKC.

When Lebron left people were saying it was Wades team and he went to be Wades Robin. See how this plays out.

The Skip Bayless's of the world were saying that. It was obviously wrong. LeBron didn't immediately come in and lord over everyone that first season, but that team was his. He was a significantly better player than Wade, and Wade knew it and stepped aside from him to lead them.

I don't recall this at all. Was my memory wiped?

That is exactly what happened (at first).

That then led to confusion at times between all three on the court in various situations, eventually ending with them coalescing and letting Lebron take the reins.

That is initially how I felt, as I wanted it to be a Wade led campaign, and honestly was weary of Lebron in the beginning, but the best thing for the team was for him to be the lead dog.

• Like 1

Well, look how it turned out for Stockton and Malone........after 18 years.  Maybe he doesn't want his legacy to end up like theirs.  

Good point, they really didn't have that 3 headed monster which most champions have, seems like the same issue OKC had, just a player short.

• Like 1

Since his injuries last season, then the drug suspension, I pretty much thought he was out the door anyhow. He said he wanted to stay in Charlotte and even come off the bench, so it looks like it was Charlotte that let him walk.

Franchise tag or not, we would still have to be under the cap and our problem this year was we brought in a bunch of players on 1-2 year deals (with opt out year 2) and had expiring contracts of the core team at the same time. They spent the money on Kemba, Batum, Williams.

I was hoping when MJ bought the team, just his stardom would attract better free agents, all-star caliber to CLT. It hasn't and it's disappointing.

I feel your pain, bro. I remember when MJ showed up in DC and I remember when he left.

I better understand the specifics of your situation with you breaking it down like that, though I still want an NBA franchise tag to help buy small market and "up and coming" teams time to keep their core from getting blown up before they can get it right. Right now, its too easy for the rug to get ripped out from under them.

• Like 1

Cavs were the 1 seed and got knocked out by the celtics who eventually lost in game 7 in the finals. The previous three years, they got knocked out in ECF, lost to eventual champs Boston, and lost in Finals to Spurs. To say that Cavs had no shot at the title, especially considering aging Boston is a bit much.

GSW undoubtedly presents a better situation than Miami, but Miami was odds on favorite going into the season too (and came damn close to winning it).

This year OKC had GSW on the ropes, but we could all see Curry wasn't himself post injury in the playoffs. LeBron and KD both left their teams in search of a better chance at a championship despite already being on contenders. Admittedly, KD found a better situation, but the core of what they did is the same.

The Lebron v1 Cavs were the classic regular season tubby classroom bullies that ran into the troubled kid with alcoholic parents every time it was down to them and the other top Eastern Conference team. They were led by a bunch of scrubs and spot up shooters that could not create their own shots. And usually they got handled by the end. That was their ceiling.

They were never going to get any better than that, because no matter how hhrd he tried, Lebron could never get anyone of repute to join him there, because Cleveland...

I may actually be being kind to them. Do you remember those lineups? Old ass Zylgauskas, Eric Snow, Daniel Gibson, Larry Hughes, Wally, etc? Thats like the ultimate 5th seed. Im surprised they won as much as they did.

And yes, Miami was the odds on favorite to win the title(s), before anyone k ew what they would look like, and how they would run their offense, and before they realized just how complete and utter monkey crap our bench was that first year. And before they realized that they could beat the living hell out of our PG's.

We were great, but flawed. Everyone has already seen the greatness and weakness of Gs. Their flaw was they lacked a good iso player that could get his own shot. They now have one of the greatest to ever play the game.

It's just not an apt comparison.

We are all dead

Edited by Mr. Sinister

I feel your pain, bro. I remember when MJ showed up in DC and I remember when he left.

I better understand the specifics of your situation with you breaking it down like that, though I still want an NBA franchise tag to help buy small market and "up and coming" teams time to keep their core from getting blown up before they can get it right. Right now, its too easy for the rug to get ripped out from under them.

A franchise tag would be nice, even at just one year.  But I doubt that will ever happen.  No way the players union will go for that in their CBA.  

Come on GB don't be like that. This is exactly like our jobs it's just that the scale of money is different. A regular person taking $5-8k less a year for a better company, situation, city or overall happiness, is the equivalent of him doing the same just in terms of millions.

He's still a competitor and that's why he wants to win. This might be a Game to us but to them it's their job where they have to put forth effort 365 days a year just like the rest of us.

Would any of us take a job that pays about the same, in a better city, with better coworkers, better management, where I can achieve my goals more easily and I don't have to do as much work? Um yes I would

My point is if this move or offseason made he Wiz into some juggernaut, I doubt you'd be complaining

Just like if Snyder has bought us a few Super Bowls with all the free agency stuff of the early 2000s. I'm sure we would all be so upset at the somehow dishonorable approach we took to those titles haha

You keep referring to overall happiness, better company, etc. How was Durant not happy? How is GS a better company? OKC had upgraded their team with the Ibaka trade and they were one game from the finals. You seem to be trying to add more justification to his decision than is actually there or warranted.

You keep referring to overall happiness, better company, etc. How was Durant not happy? How is GS a better company? OKC had upgraded their team with the Ibaka trade and they were one game from the finals. You seem to be trying to add more justification to his decision than is actually there or warranted.

Golden State is a better run team than OKC. They have a better coaching staff and front office. They are located in a better city. They have their core locked up for a good bit. There is no chance Curry leaves and I'm sure Durant was given that assurance as well.

Thunder may have improved but that remains to be seen on the court and besides that, Westbrook, Adams and Olivadipo are all coming up. There is uncertainty there.

I don't know about his happiness, I'm sure he was happy in OKC but obviously he would be more so somewhere else, hence leaving. Not to mention the things he actually did say, like getting out of his comfort zone, further pushing himself and growing as a person and player which he didn't feel he could do in OKC any longer.

Is there really any point in watching the NBA season next year? There are now only two contenders, maybe three and no one realistically has a chance to beat GS until maybe the finals.

I don't think the hate thrown Durant's way is about him leaving, it's about where he went and how the entertainment value of the league just dropped. There were so few good series last season but everyone still could look forward to that GS/OKC rematch. Could this be the year Durant and Westbrook get over the hump? Now that drama is gone. It's been reduced to does someone on GS get hurt in order for another team to have a chance to beat them.

I also don't think there is really another equivalent to this move at least not in the last 30 years. Miami wasn't a good team before those guys got together. The Bulls had just gotten MJ back and were not in the finals before getting Rodman. Plus, KD is joining a team that already has a 3 headed monster.

Personally, I think it's a gutless move that KD did. He had a great team in OKC and, while he may win titles, his legacy will be tarnished.

• Like 1

This thing with players forming super teams thru free agency is just the evolution of said free agency. The nba fa evolution is faster as less movement is required.

Everybody hates free agency and super teams until it's their team.

Let Wall recruit Blake and Boogie to DC and they start stringing off finals appearances and everybody will suddenly be ok with it or have a reason why it's justified and different

• Like 4

Personally, I think it's a gutless move that KD did. He had a great team in OKC and, while he may win titles, his legacy will be tarnished.

What would his legacy be with 0 titles?

Let Wall recruit Blake and Boogie to DC and they start stringing off finals appearances and everybody will suddenly be ok with it or have a reason why it's justified and different

Agreed 100%.

• Like 1

Is there really any point in watching the NBA season next year? There are now only two contenders, maybe three and no one realistically has a chance to beat GS until maybe the finals.

I don't think the hate thrown Durant's way is about him leaving, it's about where he went and how the entertainment value of the league just dropped. There were so few good series last season but everyone still could look forward to that GS/OKC rematch. Could this be the year Durant and Westbrook get over the hump? Now that drama is gone. It's been reduced to does someone on GS get hurt in order for another team to have a chance to beat them.

I also don't think there is really another equivalent to this move at least not in the last 30 years. Miami wasn't a good team before those guys got together. The Bulls had just gotten MJ back and were not in the finals before getting Rodman. Plus, KD is joining a team that already has a 3 headed monster.

It's only unprecedented because the cap has never bounced like this where a team as good as GS could afford a max top 5 player as well.

It would have happened before now and I know a lot of other superstars would love to be in KDs shoes and be able to join GS regardless of if they admit that or not

Legacy tarnished?  First ballot HOFer if he retires today.  He wants a ring and there is no such thing as an * when winning a title. 

Just like Lebron in Miami, no one will have more pressure on them to do so.  This is a crazy move for Durant and he better hope it works out. 

Not much more needs to be said. 

• Like 2

History won't care that he did this if they win 2-3 titles. Context is removed from history in most cases like this.

As it should be honestly

His legacy will be fine when he's dropping 30+ in the postseason and hoisting trophies.

We said the same after Lebron left and while the situations were vastly different the point is that the narrative has changed for only a handful of years later and Durant can change his too

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man
  • Like 1

I wouldn't call it gutless. I'd call it interesting at the most. I mostly hate this for basketball purposes. There is zero reason to watch next year if you have no personal stake.

• Like 1

History won't care that he did this if they win 2-3 titles. Context is removed from history in most cases like this.

As it should be honestly

His legacy will be fine when he's dropping 30+ in the postseason and hoisting trophies.

We said the same after Lebron left and while the situations were vastly different the point is that the narrative has changed for only a handful of years later and Durant can change his too

Exactly.

But Death to Golden State anyway... :mellow:

The Lebron v1 Cavs were the classic regular season tubby classroom bullies that ran into the troubled kid with alcoholic parents every time it was down to them and the other top Eastern Conference team. They were led by a bunch of scrubs and spot up shooters that could not create their own shots. And usually they got handled by the end. That was their ceiling.

They were never going to get any better than that, because no matter how hhrd he tried, Lebron could never get anyone of repute to join him there, because Cleveland...

I may actually be being kind to them. Do you remember those lineups? Old ass Zylgauskas, Eric Snow, Daniel Gibson, Larry Hughes, Wally, etc? Thats like the ultimate 5th seed. Im surprised they won as much as they did.

And yes, Miami was the odds on favorite to win the title(s), before anyone k ew what they would look like, and how they would run their offense, and before they realized just how complete and utter monkey crap our bench was that first year. And before they realized that they could beat the living hell out of our PG's.

We were great, but flawed. Everyone has already seen the greatness and weakness of Gs. Their flaw was they lacked a good iso player that could get his own shot. They now have one of the greatest to ever play the game.

It's just not an apt comparison.

We are all dead

Cavs won 66 and 61 games in the last 2 pre-miami years. If you are good enough to be the top seed in the regular season with the best player in basketball, you are good enough to win a championship.

As for the idea that no one wanted join Cleveland during LeBron's heyday, that's simply not true. We let Antawn Jamison go to Cleveland because that's where he wanted to go. Larry Hughes chose Cavs over Wizards when he was a hot free agent.

If rest of Cleveland roster was so bad but LeBron carried them to 2 straight 60+ win seasons, what was he supposed to do with 2 superstars in tow in Miami? The notion that LeBron couldn't compete for a Championship in Cleveland is simply false. Both LeBron and KD were on contenders before they left. They both left for much easier paths to Championship elsewhere. That GSW is now better than Miami during LeBron years doesn't change those facts.

Golden State is a better run team than OKC. They have a better coaching staff and front office. They are located in a better city. They have their core locked up for a good bit. There is no chance Curry leaves and I'm sure Durant was given that assurance as well.

Thunder may have improved but that remains to be seen on the court and besides that, Westbrook, Adams and Olivadipo are all coming up. There is uncertainty there.

I don't know about his happiness, I'm sure he was happy in OKC but obviously he would be more so somewhere else, hence leaving. Not to mention the things he actually did say, like getting out of his comfort zone, further pushing himself and growing as a person and player which he didn't feel he could do in OKC any longer.

That's pretty subjective. No one thought GS was a better situation before they won a Championship and no one thinks a player is leaving until they leave. I don't know about either city living wise but I guess you've lived in both so we can go with what you said. I don't know about having a better coach. Kerr didn't really seem to be missed when he wasn't there. GS does get the edge in the front office for sure but it isn't by a huge margin.  

It's fine if Durant wanted to get out of his comfort zone though I'm not sure how going to a loaded team helps a player of his caliber grow.

I don't hold it against Durant for leaving, it's who he left for is what sucks to me. Sports are less entertaining when one team or one person so thoroughly dominates.