Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

Golden State started strong, made more threes, didn't get killed on the glass, and didn't turn it over a bunch. Not really sure what to say they need to work on for next game except don't settle for so many lousy early clock jumpers, work the ball inside, and get to the FT line more. But shooting (and making) tons of lousy pacey jumpers is their game.

This Thunder team is dangerous.

Durant played 46 minutes? Woah. OKC should look in to getting another small forward.

dammit I fell asleep during that run in the 2nd quarter when the warriors got up by 10-12 points, and then last thing I remembered was the thunder being down 40-46 or something like that.  

The thunder really do seem to be playing inspired basketball, and it's being done because you can tell KD is on a mission, he just seems like he has asserted himself to an even greater level in these playoffs.  I'm not saying they win this series necessarily, but wow, just from the visual perspective it's weird how these warriors with such a small lineup even with bar none versatility can compete with young decently athletic bigs to go along with WB and KD. 

I like how, whether it's just because it's the playoffs so headlines are more noticeable or not, but it really seems like KD has grabbed the reins of the team instead of playing the de-facto leader based on absurd talent but WB on the court dictating the team in stretches in the past.  KD, while still keeping WB just as equal as a leader as he always has, still has become more vocal in the right ways and I think it's helping, among other things, the inspiration within the team.  "He's an idiot" was a perfect galvanizing force for the team.

There's something that never feels quite right when the "actual" best player is playing second fiddle through on court impact or image etc, to someone else, for whatever reason and in whatever way.  Sort of like Butler when Rose is still on the team, or Lebron the first year in miami, or whatever.   So, things just feel "better" for OKC when Durant is performing on and off the court like how he is now.  And of course, I'm not Mark Cuban, WB is clearly a superstar, so this is a more minute difference, but when the 2nd/3rd best player in the world (gasp even 1st when he's playing like he is right now yikes) is having less of an impact on the whole to probably the solid 4th best player in the world, there's still the overall element of underachievement clouding the team because it feels like KD isn't doing "enough."

So, damn, my rooting structure for these playoffs has been upended if the Thunder get this series to 2-1 in their favor.  I root for greatness and legacy so there are 3 tantalizing teams to root for in this final 4, so I am rooting for Lebron getting his 3rd in his hanging by a thread battle for GOAT, splitting hairs over repeat and Curry ascension to permanent legend getting a title.  Curry winning over lebron is fine because Curry's season was easily the most impressive thing I've ever seen on an NBA court since I didn't watch Jordan in the 90s due to age and being terrible at basketball when I was young (lol).  But if KD and WB get a title this year, there is literally no reason for them not to do what GS is on their mission to do themselves as a young and potentially long windowed team at the highest level.

So dang, everything I thought I knew in life is changing before my eyes (potentially) 

----------------

as an encore - after posting this I wanted to see KD's age (27) - but in the news section of the search I saw this from about 20 hours ago so yea KD is awesome

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/kevin-durant-ambulance-oklahoma-city_us_5739c7e6e4b077d4d6f378f7

Edited by Taco Bell

I go back to the look on Westbrook and Durant's faces after their workmanlike takedown of San Antonio--they barely even looked happy. These guys are locked in and they are expecting to win these games. They're not some young arrogant upstart that is happy to be there. They do look like they're on a mission.

It's hard for me to get on Steph for his shot selection considering all the crazy shots we've seen him make this year, but there was one shot at the end with about 30 seconds left that was really terrible. It was one of those leaning, off balance, one footed, flick of the wrist deals. He coulda tried a little harder to put up a better shot. You're almost surprised when it doesnt go in, but not that time.

If GSW simply made their free throws, they probably win. The difference in any close game can usually be explained at the line.

Edited by justice98

OKC shot just as poorly from the FT line. The problem was GS didn't get to the line enough. They were doing a lot of settling.

But they had 10 more points than GSW off of made free throws. That's significant. GSW shot better from 2 and 3, OKC made up the difference at the line. But yeah, I agree, GSW didnt get to the line enough.

GSW was down 1 with 2 minutes left. OKC had made 17 free throws at that point to GSWs 11. If GSW just shoots their average for the season, they're up a couple instead of down 1, putting OKC in chase mode rather than themselves. They still might've lost, but the dynamic of the last couple minutes changes.

Edited by justice98

I thought everyone already knew it was Mason. 

Hmm...

Maybe I should watch the clip. 

I think just you, Fat Joe, and Biggie knew the truth, apparently...LOL

In my circle of friends it was always assumed it was John Starks, possibly Hubert Davis. 

• Like 1

I've got two takes for you all:

1 - Russell Westbrook is the Oscar Robertson of this age.

2 - If the Thunder take down a 67 win Spurs team, a 73 win Warriors team, and the LeBron/Love/Irving Cavs, it will be the greatest championship run since the merger.

I'll give you 2. Hard to top that

Lebron and the Cavs, as far as the comp in the east, are a joke.

GS really wasnt much better, going up against a clown show in Houston and a Portland team that had no business getting out if the 1st rd.

Really not getti g the East bashing that people are doing. The West had the worst total playoff bracket in years, outside of 2-3 teams.

Edited by Mr. Sinister
  • Like 1

I'll give you 2. Hard to top that

GS really wasnt much better, going up against a clown show in Houston and a Portland team that had no business getting out if the 1st rd.

Really not getti g the East bashing that people are doing. The West had the worst total playoff bracket in years, outside of 2-3 teams.

Amen.

The East had more Top 10 teams (RPI wise) than the West this year.