Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

I saw that Steph shot when it happened. He was fouled and it should've been a four point play. However, the refs were so surprised by the shot attempt that they didn't even think to call the foul. Once the shot went in, they probably really was like eff it.

Is anyone on here still gonna tell me that the 76ers are moving in the right direction?

I can say if it's right or wrong because I don't know if they're going in any direction at all.

Is anyone on here still gonna tell me that the 76ers are moving in the right direction?

I will. They found a future star. That's the hardest part. Now they need to fire the GM and surround him with some vets before the start of next season. Plus they still have one good pick left to make.

If you meant they they will win games this season, well no. They're awful.

• Like 1

He thought he was fouled so he threw it up.

He was fouled, pretty blatantly too.

The refs were awful in that game.  For half the game it seemed like they were favoring Memphis but by the end they were just blowing calls in every direction.  Ignoring blatant grabs and shoves, but calling weird touch fouls 10 seconds later.   It made the game almost unwatchable.  Almost a Houston Rockets-level of unwatchable. 

I will. They found a future star. That's the hardest part. Now they need to fire the GM and surround him with some vets before the start of next season. Plus they still have one good pick left to make.

They need to fire the GM asap. He has basically lucked into some of these picks and they still suck. It's not dissimilar from the Wiz in that the GM has lucked into a potential star but that doesn't warrant him getting anymore time. I think they have lost 18 in a row now dating back to last season.

T-Wolves vs. Warriors at 8

looking forward to watching the Wolves live for the first time this year. Their team intrigues me, and KAT has been pretty good out of the gates.

so many rookies from that class showing signs of the potential that got most of them drafted

Edited by StillUnknown

He was fouled, pretty blatantly too.

The refs were awful in that game.  For half the game it seemed like they were favoring Memphis but by the end they were just blowing calls in every direction.  Ignoring blatant grabs and shoves, but calling weird touch fouls 10 seconds later.   It made the game almost unwatchable.  Almost a Houston Rockets-level of unwatchable.

ESPN cut a pretty awesome slow motion video of it: http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:14114214

At that speed you can see he was fouled, but it came on the floor before the act of shooting. It would have been worse if they'd called it right: 2 points if Golden State was in the bonus, inbounds from the sideline if not.

so many rookies from that class showing signs of the potential that got most of them drafted

Yeah this is a really impressive rookie class. But what's scary for me as a Wizards fan is this was a really good big man class. Five years from now, I'm not sure guards and small forwards are still going to rule the league.

When do I start freaking out if I'm a Lakers fan? It's super early, but Okafor and Porzingis look way better than Russell and bigs are supposed to have the tougher adjustment.

If you're a Laker fan you just keep repeating "come on, everyone is dying to have a chance to play for the Lakers!  We'll sign another three or four superstars soon enough."  It's easy not to worry when you believe that a media market, and not an extremely capable front office, is why the Lakers won all those rings with Phil Jackson. 

I still can't believe they passed on Okafor.  He could end up averaging 20ppg as a rookie.  Haven't seen a center do that in a long time.  I read that he really wanted to play in LA too.  He looked shocked when he ended up going to the 76ers.

They need to fire the GM asap. He has basically lucked into some of these picks and they still suck. It's not dissimilar from the Wiz in that the GM has lucked into a potential star but that doesn't warrant him getting anymore time. I think they have lost 18 in a row now dating back to last season.

After seeing them live Monday, I'll say they have two studs in the front court. But somehow the rest of the roster is even worse than the last few years.

They are still years away

Look at Minnesota. At least they went and signed actual NBA players to supplement their gems

Yeah this is a really impressive rookie class. But what's scary for me as a Wizards fan is this was a really good big man class. Five years from now, I'm not sure guards and small forwards are still going to rule the league.

When do I start freaking out if I'm a Lakers fan? It's super early, but Okafor and Porzingis look way better than Russell and bigs are supposed to have the tougher adjustment.

Russell might be in the worst situation of any rookie. Stuck in Kobe's farewell tour might be bad by itself, but Byron Scott is not doing him any favors.

I still think he'll be a good one, but he has to get away from Scott.

After seeing them live Monday, I'll say they have two studs in the front court. But somehow the rest of the roster is even worse than the last few years.

They are still years away

Look at Minnesota. At least they went and signed actual NBA players to supplement their gems

Okafor is a stud and Noel is a Joakim Noah "heart of your team" kind of glue man.

They suck now, but it's for pretty clear reasons: their guards suck, they are too young to know how to defend, and they can't shoot.

They can get good by turning the page in their rebuild and acquiring specific types of players that they should be able to get their hands on--vet 3 and D shooters and a competent vet PG plus a quality back up C that can play defense.

They just need to commit to Okafor and Noel and decide their tanking days are over.

They just need to commit to Okafor and Noel and decide their tanking days are over.

That has to be the plan. If they have decided that Okafor and Noel are it, they have to start getting vets who know how to play to surround them. They don't need All-Stars. I'm not sure they even need average players. They just need, for lack of a better word, "men." I mean - this is nuts - but Mario Chalmers could have helped them.

i said it in the beginning of the season, the return of the big men is coming.  

This small ball era is the result of a total lack of big men and the rise of so many 40 percent three point shooters. The way to kill that style of play has always been a dominant, two-way 7-footer. I mean, Roy Freaking Hibbert nearly single-handedly derailed the Heatles and he's not very good at walking sometimes.

There does seem to be some good big men on the horizon. And one dude can change an entire conference because everyone has to react to him.

• Like 1

That has to be the plan. If they have decided that Okafor and Noel are it, they have to start getting vets who know how to play to surround them. They don't need All-Stars. I'm not sure they even need average players. They just need, for lack of a better word, "men." I mean - this is nuts - but Mario Chalmers could have helped them.

I think they are playing this right. They have Okafor and Noel. Saric comes next year. Oh, and they have 4 1st rounders. Put that with embiid and that 8 players. Now you go out and get vets to finish off the roster and you are in good shape.

That has to be the plan. If they have decided that Okafor and Noel are it, they have to start getting vets who know how to play to surround them. They don't need All-Stars. I'm not sure they even need average players. They just need, for lack of a better word, "men." I mean - this is nuts - but Mario Chalmers could have helped them.

Yeah he could have helped them. Jose Calderon could be fantastic for them. Marco Belinelli too. Zaza Pachulia and Luis Scola too. I guess my conclusion is they need to find some old canny Euros.

They likely have more than one good pick left too.

They have a Lakers #1 pick (only top 3 protected this year and next year and than not protected at all the year after that).  That alone could turn into a good pick.

The Heat pick (top 10 protected this year) and the Thunder pick (lottery protected this year).  I guess those aren't necessarily good picks.

But the big thing is these picks are actually part of a trade with the Kings that give them right to swap picks with the Kings.  They can take the Heat/Thunder pick, and then assuming the Kings draft in the top 10 year this year, swap that pick with the Kings.

(Anybody else get the feeling the Thunder are meant to be one of those teams that could be great, but can't just put it all together.  That in 10 years, people will back and think about a team with a young (healthy) Westbrook, Durrant, and Harden and talk about what could have been if things would have worked out right/they would have had a little bit of luck.)

And the right to swap isn't just for this year, but potentially for next year too, and then they get a 1st round pick from the Kings (most likely) in 2018 or 2019 (top 10 protected in 18 and not at all in 19).

http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/future_drafts/detailed

It isn't hard to imagine the Sixers might make 3 top 6 picks in 2017:

Their pick.

The Lakers pick (which requires that the Lakers don't pick in the top 3).

And the Kings pick (which requires that the Kings don't draft out of the top 10 this year, and the Heat or Thunder pick comes to them this year).

Edited by PeterMP

I think they are playing this right. They have Okafor and Noel. Saric comes next year. Oh, and they have 4 1st rounders. Put that with embiid and that 8 players. Now you go out and get vets to finish off the roster and you are in good shape.

The problem I have is that the NBA is not the University of Kentucky. You can't have 9 20 or 21 year olds getting better at the same time. There is not enough practice time and there are far far far too many opportunities for the young guys to get into bad habits on the road.

I'm pretty convinced that no NBA team can develop more than three players at a time - and that's pushing it. What OKC did with Durant, Westbrook, Harden, and Ibaka is largely unprecedented - and probably has more to do with those four guys than the team itself.

Most teams who go this route end up being the post MJ Bulls - loaded with young talent that never does anything for that franchise.

• Like 1

how in the **** does the greatest shooter of all times get that much space? HOW?

Ask any Clippers fans - its all those moving screens the Warriors never get called for.   :)

real answer - Zach Levine doesn't know how to fight through screens.   When he gets walled off he just stands there waiting to see what will happen next. 

Edited by Predicto

(Anybody else get the feeling the Thunder are meant to be one of those teams that could be great, but can't just put it all together.  That in 10 years, people will back and think about a team with a young (healthy) Westbrook, Durrant, and Harden and talk about what could have been if things would have worked out right/they would have had a little bit of luck.)

Like the early to mid 90's Hornets and Magic? I can see comparisons to the Shaq/Penny Orlando situation.

Durant is an All Time Great player like Shaq and Westbrook is currently one of the five best players in the league like Penny was in 1995. If the Thunder lose Durant in FA like the Magic lost Shaq, it would blow them up.

But if they keep Durant and Westbrook, I think they'll still win a title. I could see them winning one this year.