Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

29 and 27. I wonder how many centers have gone their entire careers never having a night that productive.

Drummond has produced three 20/20 games in six tries this season. That's incredible.

Even more amazing, Portland shot 53%, Detroit 49%. Wasn't like he was collecting spare rebs on a cold shooting night.

Their system is getting the most out of what he can do.  Playing without another big, he is able to vacuum up all the boards.  He should lead the league in rebounding.  And he also has a clear lane to catch the ball around the basket and score.

Game altering size.  Still no skills yet though.  It's not his role, but I'm not sure he could do any facilitation or shot creation if asked.  I'm not sure he'll make a field goal beyond 8 feet from the rim all season.  And he needs to vary his finishes, he gets his shot blocked a surprising amount for a player his size simply from being too predictable.

Right now he's playing like a middle class man's Orlando Dwight Howard.  Getting SVG as his coach was a major turning point in his development.

System can only do so much and most of the league is going small, so centers everywhere are often the lone big man. The nba hasn't seen three 20/20 games in six tries since the 70s when Kareem and Wilt did it, and Drummond came close to adding a 4th. His skills being limited just make the numbers that much more impressive.

In the draft people noted that he could outrun the guards on his UConn team. He's a superior athlete and now that he's being freed up to use that athleticism we're seeing just how good an athlete he really is. He won't keep up this pace, but he's letting the league know he's now a force to be dealt with. Those numbers will absolutely impact a game.

Yeah he's probably the best rebounder in the NBA now.  Him or Gobert.  But 6 games is an arbitrary cutoff.  That's like us getting more excited than we should about the fact Beal averaged 25 in his first five games because the only other guys who've done it are LeBron and Kobe and such.  Change it to 24 or 4 games and you might end up with a much less impressive sounding cherry picked sample.

Just watched Drummond against the Dubs.  He's very, very good and he's going to get better, but he is not the next coming of Wilt Chamberlain.  He has a nice little jump hook from close in, but that's his entire offense.   He gets a lot of boards in part because he is a great rebounder, but also in part because of the system he is in.   Much of the time, no one else on the Pistons is anywhere close to the basket and no one else hits the boards.  If anyone on Detroit is going to get a rebound, it is going to be him.   And at least last night, a lot of the time, he set up for rebounding as his first priority rather than protecting the rim.  He doesn't seem to close out on shooters, perhaps because it would take him away from the boards.  

I'm no expert but that's the way it looked to me.

The Dubs take a different approach.  The Warriors' big men contest every interior shot, even if it takes them out of rebounding position, and then they worry more about blocking out after the shot than about grabbing the board.  Bogut, Green and Ezili don't care who gets the rebound, which is why Curry gets 5 and a half rebounds per game, and Klay gets 4 and a half, and Barnes and Igoudala get 5 each.   

• Like 1

Just watched Drummond against the Dubs.  He's very, very good and he's going to get better, but he is not the next coming of Wilt Chamberlain.

I was thinking more like the next Dwight Howard. But to get on Dwight's level, he needs to become a DPOY caliber player.

If/when that happens, Detroit will start winning 50 games a year and become a true threat.

I was thinking more like the next Dwight Howard. But to get on Dwight's level, he needs to become a DPOY caliber player.

If/when that happens, Detroit will start winning 50 games a year and become a true threat.

Detroit has a nice core with Drummund, Jackson, and Johnson. 

Also...

The Memphis Grizzlies have acquired Miami Heat guard Mario Chalmers and forward James Ennis in a trade, league sources told Yahoo Sports. The Grizzlies will send guard Beno Udrih, forward Jarnell Stokes and a second-round pick to the Heat, league sources said

Link

Can't help but to think that whatever happened with Gerald Green was the last straw for dude. 

He's definitely not close to the defender that Howard is (or Howard used to be, anyway).   To get to that level, he's going to have to sell out on defense a lot more and let someone else on the Pistons worry about the rebounds.   His offensive rebounding will remain elite, but his defensive rebounding totals will drop a lot - and he will be a lot more valuable.

Link

Can't help but to think that whatever happened with Gerald Green was the last straw for dude. 

Good move for the Grizz, but too late I suspect.   Their window is closing fast.   They have needed shooters for the past 5 years.  

He's about the same age that Dwight was when he made the leap to being the best defensive player in the game. The season is still young, let's see if Drummond makes it too.

Although even if it happened, I'm not sure that would make him as good as Dwight was at that age. Dwight's never had much in the way of skills, but he was still a better scorer than Drummond is. I remember him dropping 40 on the Hawks in a playoff game.

Ugh, feels weird defending Dwight. Drummond is so much more likable than him.