Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

I hope the Warriors and Curry put a beat down on everybody they play this year. That team got no respect for being a great team last year and I bet that can't wait to play a fully healthy Cavs team this year.

Edited by DM72
  • Like 4

Curry is tearing the NBA a new asshole. He's on a mission. I've run out of sports cliches to describe his dominance.

To routinely pull stuff like that off in an NBA game, against a quality NBA team... The Warriors are doing some next level execution. That team has the most unbelievable chemistry I think I've ever seen.

• Like 2

As someone who saw Curry take Davidson to the tourney and do damage. Remember it's Davidson.

It's not that shocking. Folks talked about his handles, his strength, etc. Dude was always the most aggressive and competitive player on the court.

Considering the community guy that he is on top of it. Good for him.

I think he must be averaging 35/7 or more per game in this early season.

He might be going for back to back.

https://vine.co/v/e3EMhWpODwg

I imagine this how people felt watching Pistol Pete back in the day, only to the 50th power

By Odin's Beard... I personally dont like Golden State, but that team just just about as unbeatable as a team can look. Worse yet, Rivers gave them enough shade to last an entire season. I wont buy a ticket to watch Washington get beat down by them again this year. Last years game hurt enough as it did.

Edited by Skin'emAlive

Ok I looked it up and, as far as I can tell, that would be the second best two year run in NBA history. 134 wins, two titles. Jordan's Bulls in 95-97 won 141 and two titles, which is unbelievable. The greatest and possibly second greatest season in league history, delivered back to back season by the same team.

The next best two year run after Golden State's hypothetical run would actually be the 96-97 and 97-98 Bulls, which won 131 games and two titles.

Interesting oddity:

The '70-'71 Bucks with Kareem, Oscar, and Bobby Dandridge won 66 games and the title. This was the second greatest single season in NBA history to that point, after the '66-'67 Philly team with Wilt, Hal Greer, Billy Cunningham, and Chet Walker. That team won 68 and the title. But of course, the very next year, the Lakers came along and set the 69 win record that stood until Jordan's Bulls broke it in '95-'96. That Lakers team beat this Bucks team in the WCF. They had Wilt, Gail Goodrich, Jim McMillan, and Jerry West. Can you imagine how incredible that series must have been?

But to add to the oddity, the Celtics came along and won 68 the next season, tied for second best record in NBA history at that point, but they lost to the eventual champion Knicks in the ECF.

I wonder if we're ever going to see that again? Three different teams winning 66+ games back to back to back. That strikes me as a bigger improbability than seeing the Warriors win 67+ again.

Here's an interesting hypothetical that I wish someone else would look up the facts for:

If the Warriors do MATCH their win total from last year and win another title, does that equal the second best two year run in NBA history after Jordan's '95 to '97 Bulls teams?

Thats tough. The SuperSonics were a hell of a team. The Cavs were running on fumes and Samurai honor by the end of last year. But the West playiffs is a war of attrition

I say if they can beat a healthy Cavs team and can get 65+ wins again, then they belong side by side with the Bulls, but I dunno anout eclipsing them

Actually I'm dumb. The 66+ wins by three different teams in back to back to back seasons happened against from 2006 to 2009 when the Mavs, Celtics, and Cavs did it. I guess the reason I forgot about it was because those Mavs and Cavs teams were far from the quality of the All Time Great teams that won in the early 70's.

One thing that stands out about looking at all of the teams that won 66+ games,

1.) Only three didn't win the championship: that '72-'73 Boston team that lost to a truly great Knicks team in the ECF. No shame in that. The '08-'09 LeBron Cavs that lost in the ECF to the Dwight Howard Magic, a series they had no business losing. And finally, the '06-'07 Mavs team that won 67 games and choked in the first round to the 8th seeded Warriors. That is easily one of the worst choke jobs in NBA history. I'm glad Dirk got a ring in 2011 so that postseason doesn't define his career.

2.) All of the teams except for the '06-'07 Mavs and '08-'09 Cavs were led by multiple HoFers. And the only ones that didn't have at least two first or second team All NBA players that season were the:

- '85-'86 Celtics

- '06-'07 Mavs

- '14-'15 Warriors (Klay Thompson was third team, which didn't exist before the '88-'89 season).

- '07-'08 Celtics (Pierce was third team)

- '08-'09 Cavs

- '12-'13 Heat (Wade was third team)

Of that group, the Cavs and Mavs were the only true one star teams, although Klay Thompson still remains a little bit of a sketchy case for second star. Both of those Celtics teams and that Miami team had at least three future HoFers on them. All were led by the best player in the league that year.

But this begs an interesting question, is Curry a future HoFer like Dirk and LeBron obviously were when they led their teams to 66+? When you look at the context of all of the teams that achieved that mark, I think you have to assume that Curry is HoF bound. They're already a pretty big outlier by not having multiple HoFers, but if they had none, that would make the '14-'15 Warriors one of the biggest outliers in NBA history.

Thats tough. The SuperSonics were a hell of a team. The Cavs were running on fumes and Samurai honor by the end of last year. But the West playiffs is a war of attrition

I say if they can beat a healthy Cavs team and can get 65+ wins again, then they belong side by side with the Bulls, but I dunno anout eclipsing them

I would be shocked if any team ever wins 141 regular season games and two championships in two seasons again. That team would have to have a player as good as Michael Jordan was to do it IMO. Hell, I'd be pretty surprised if any team even wins 70 again, much less average that over two years.

As an aside, looking at all of this has killed the argument for decreasing the number of regular season games in my mind. The NBA season has always been a marathon/war of attrition. And the players didn't used to have comfortable accommodations for travel and state of the art sports medicine and strength and conditioning and nutrition programs. If Wilt and Russell and Kareem and Oscar and West and Baylor and Bird and Magic and Jordan all had to slog through 82 game seasons, then everyone else should have to in order to deserve any sort of comparison to them.

I should have set the cut off at 65+ wins in retrospect. All of the teams that won 65 were All Time great teams. But a couple of the 64 win teams weren't super impressive, and by 63, you get actually get a lot of meh teams by historical standards.

Wilt, Kareem, Jordan, Pippen, and LeBron are the only HoF players in league history that played for at least two 65+ game winners. Wilt was a sidekick on the '71-'72 Lakers, so was Kareem on the '86-'87 Lakers, and Pippen was a career sidekick. Jerry West was the leader of that Lakers team and Gail Goodrich was actually their leading scorer by a tenth of a point. So really it's just Jordan and LeBron as the only two players who've ever led teams to 66+ wins twice. Jordan doing it on the same team, LeBron doing it on completely different teams. Pretty amazing achievement for them. If Curry does it, he'll join them.

I just can't see that happening though. I can't accept that he's on their level yet.

I also think it's amazing that the Kareem/Magic Lakers won 62, 62, 65, and 62 in four straight years. Three titles in that span. That is the greatest four year run in league history.

Edited by stevemcqueen1
  • Like 1

ummm the Warriors are beating the Grizz by 40pts in the 3rd quarter

its hella early but is 72 in danger?

No.  The NBA is so much stronger top to bottom than it was in the 90s when the Bulls dominated, and the Western Conference is stronger still.   Losing only 10 games would be ridiculous.  They have to play the Spurs 4 times and OKC 4 times and the Clippers 4 times and the Rockets 4 times and so on.   Even with no injuries that would be basically impossible.  And the chance that they will be as injury free as last year is very low.   

The Dubs easily could be better overall than they were last year and still win only 60 games.  

https://vine.co/v/e3EMhWpODwg

I imagine this how people felt watching Pistol Pete back in the day, only to the 50th power

Except Pistol Pete shot 44%, turned the ball over a ton and was a terrible defender.  

• Like 1