Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

Yeah, I enjoyed Doc Rivers's butthurt attempt to throw shade on the Warriors's championship in that Zach Lowe article. Acting like the Warriors lucked out by getting to play the team that beat his team. And if you're griping about being unlucky to draw the Spurs in the first round, then there is a solution. Go out and win 67 games and get the one seed.

I can't believe people still don't understand how good the Warriors were. Presumably smart basketball people like Doc Rivers and Charles Barkley. By any and every metric of real team achievement they were far and away the best team in the league last year, and one of the most dominant teams in league history.

• Like 1

Cleveland somehow can afford another max deal? Wtf

You can sign your own people and go over the cap. The problem is the luxury tax penalties. And that they won't be able to have much flexibility if people get hurt or need back injections or whatnot.

As one of my favorite RealGM posters once said, "Players really should wait until they're rookie coaches to become GMs."

The NBA is absurd. An NFL player would be killed with fire by management long before he could come close to wielding the kind of power that LeBron does.

Their tax bill is going to be heinous. Next year too, even with the cap jump because I think they're going to be paying repeater tax. Adding MLE sized deals that far over the tax would cost them tens of millions of dollars in that case. The '13-'14 Nets set the tax record at around 90 million and that franchise was basically being run as a Ponzi scheme with the mirage of Russian oil billions propping up their horrific expenditures in order to bilk Brooklyn out of 1.6 billion in public funding for a new arena and surrounding development. How are we supposed to believe Cleveland is going to have the revenue to pay 180-200 million dollars in payroll costs for the next couple of years?

• Like 2

They are screwed by allowing Lebron to play GM with no credentials, and I'm loving it.

I wouldn't say they're screwed, because they are going to be good. They should be one of the top three contenders for at least this year and next. The LeBron/Love/Irving foundation of star players is as good as anyone has. But I agree that their long term outlook is somewhat questionable. Shelling out soooooo much to their role players feels really stupid. It started with that terrible Varejao contract--you know they gave it to him to please LeBron.

And I think there is a real chance that LeBron will continue to sign one year deals for a while. He has totally compromised the management of that franchise. And you are right about that being a bad situation for them to be in.

They're going to have to make tough choices next summer too. Mozgov and Dellevadova are expirings.

I have to believe Dan Gilbert is thinking "who gives a **** if I run 80 or 90 million dollar deficits each season? If things go bad I can cash out for at least a billion."

Oh boy...

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/13944043/amerileague-founder-tells-operations-manager-persona-fake-lines

OTL: AmeriLeague founder tells employee he's actually someone else

The founder of the fledgling pro basketball league AmeriLeague, identified publicly for months as "Cerruti Brown," told the league's operations manager Wednesday night that the persona is fictitious and he actually is a former basketball standout who has numerous criminal convictions for fraud, Outside the Lines has learned.

Are we actually concerned for the pocket book of Dan Gilbert? He bought the team for $375 million. It's now worth over a billion according to Forbes and that's almost certainly a low ball estimate.

The team's hare of tv money is set to increase by 180 percent in one year.

And - also - the league owners are already getting ready to hose the players again in 2017 by planning a lockout. My guess is Gilbert knows that the CBA is going to dramatically change in 2017 and he's not really concerned about long-term tax ramifications - particularly if he can win a title in the meantime.

It's pretty simple really. Lebron should be making around $80 million a year. He can't. So the money he should be earning is being distributed to his guys.

I think Lebron should have been coach of the year last year to be honest.

No one else is as interested in this AmeriLeague story as I am? A smooth-talking con man named Cerruti that was a former McDonalds All American founds a rival league to the NBA? I want to know how a guy using a fake name, with tons of convictions for theft and fraud got as far as he did with this thing. Presumably his league did actually have investors. I want to know who they were and how much they just lost. I need a 30 for 30 on this.

Also how ridiculous is Royce White's career at this point? A less classy poster than I might make a joke about the irony of a player whose NBA career ended because he's deathly afraid of flying getting conned into signing with a fly by night league.

Being deep into the tax is pressure. Getting paid like an allstar is pressure. Getting locked into a roster is pressure because you've got 4 big contracts is pressure because either these guys win, or Lebron tries his hand as a GM somewhere else. He left the Cavs the first time because they got themselves into a bad contract position with a team that couldn't win.

Also, who knows what will happen when Paul and Lebron cause a lockout by demanding that they be allowed to make more money at the expense of everyone else, including most players.