Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

Forgive me for the All-Star game oversight.

Seriously, some of you dudes treat him like your son. I'm going to cheering for the the Wizards to win 37 games by the time October rolls around. I already want Charlotte to go 20-62.

Thompson is a good defender at SG. And I want Harden as my sixth-man in this type of tournament. No international team has anything remotely like him coming off the bench. His defense is less an issue with second units.

I also just really really like Lillard. I like more than Irving, and I can't decide if I like Irving more than Wall.

The easiest thing to do may be just leave Rose at home.

McQueen actually made me think of something interesting. Is Boogie Cousins more or less likely to cause an international incident if Wall is around? Cousins has to play so the answer to this question may be your answer on Wall.

Edited by Lombardi's_kid_brother

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2014/07/28/usa-camp-day-1-notes/?ls=iref:nbahpt13a

• We only saw Curry playing the two, alongside either Irving or Wall. But afterward, he said he doesn’t see himself strictly as a two with this team. “I play both,” he said. “I’m obviously better equipped [than the others] to play the two, but I can push in transition and initiate the offense if I need to. I got to be able to do both and guard both positions as well.”

It’s weird to imagine Cousins representing the U.S. in a hostile, international environment, but seeing him in this environment, you can see how he could make an impact.

He’s a beast, and there aren’t many players in the world that can match up with him, especially if he just plays off others as a roll man and finisher in the paint.

Defensively, with FIBA rules, Cousins can hang close to the basket and defend the rim. In the few minutes we saw him on Monday, he blocked or altered at least three shots.

Still, there will remain a fear that Cousins will lose his cool with international officiating or decide, in a big moment, to dribble the ball up the floor himself. If he wants to make the team, he has to prove that he can stay disciplined in more ways than one.

Forgive me for the All-Star game oversight.

Seriously, some of you dudes treat him like your son.

Kind of like how certain people treat this thread.  If it isn't going where they want, they criticize it and tell it where it should go. B)

Edited by Sticksboi05

I'd take Curry, Lillard, and Wall. Shooters and a pace pushing lightning bolt off the bench. I'd start Curry because he's the hardest for any team to guard with just on defender and his shooting is the best of all available.

I don't trust Rose and Irving doesn't give me anything Lillard and Curry don't already do better. I don't think Wall is ideal, I include him because he's a great change of pace option and he's the least likely to fall in love with his own scoring and stop passing the ball.

Hypothetical: Derrick Rose comes back for Team USA this summer and looks good. Looks like a hyper athlete again, starts, and performs really really well as USA cruises to the Naismith Trophy.

What does this do to Chicago's ceiling this season? What does it do for a potential Kevin Love trade? Does it make Chiacgo more or less eager to make a deal for Love?

If you're Kevin Love, would you rather play in Cleveland? Or would you rather play with a good Derrick Rose in Chicago?

Hypothetical: Derrick Rose comes back for Team USA this summer and looks good. Looks like a hyper athlete again, starts, and performs really really well as USA cruises to the Naismith Trophy.

What does this do to Chicago's ceiling this season? What does it do for a potential Kevin Love trade? Does it make Chiacgo more or less eager to make a deal for Love?

If you're Kevin Love, would you rather play in Cleveland? Or would you rather play with a good Derrick Rose in Chicago?

Cleveland. It isn't close lol

Check around the Internets, seems a clear majority already thinks Rose won't miss a beat and Chicago is the favorite to be the top seed in the East. I personally don't get it. But then we have Gilbert to look back on and know better than most.

Pretty sure 90% of those ppl aren't Bulls fans. Most Bulls fans are pessimistic and depressed and all think it would take a nigh miracle to get a ring this season.

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nba/story/_/id/11282855/jim-boeheim-calls-derrick-rose-chicago-bulls-most-impressive-player

They're saying Rose has been the best player at the camp the past two days. Coach K pointed out that he was a fiend on defense.

Rose is a lock to make the team and start IMO. They'll want a guard who can defend to start because they'll want to full court press a lot.

Heard this said the other day 

"Indy exposed Wall during their series"  

The gist was that Wall playing at speed 4 and 5 out of 5 is lights out.  Wall playing at speeds 1,2,3 of 5 is below average.

Thoughts? (I don't follow the Wiz enough to know if this is true or not)

And while he didn't DOMINATE games or have great scoring match ups, there were times in almost every Indiana game where I just remember going "Dude is a playmaker and star, he ORCHESTRATES this team". I kept hearing people talk about how he needed to score more or he was having off nights, but when I was watching all through the playoffs I came away very impressed by his impact on the game despite perhaps not really scoring.

Starting five of Rose, Harden, George, Durant, and Davis is essentially set. Steph Curry is your sixth man, he can sub in for Harden or Rose or push Harden to SF and sub out George. Gives you reliability where each of Harden, Rose, and George might be shaky in any given game.

I'd pick these guys for the final six spots:

Wall

Beal

Thompson

Lillard

Cousins

Faried/Drummond

Wall gives me insurance in case Rose is shaky and he's got the ability to anchor a second line that might have Beal and Cousins on it. I'm getting more than the some of my parts if I've got all three of them together. Ditto with Curry and Thompson. Thompson and Beal are also my back up threes when I need to rest Durant or George. George is going to need rest too, he's going to be our stopper.

Cousins is obviously our back up C and a key guy in case we play Spain.

And then Drummond and Faried comes down to who does a better job handling the FIBA rules. No goal tends and a wide lane plus no defensive three seconds. If we play zone ourselves, that favors Drummond since you could park him in the lane. But more likely we're going to go man with a full court press. And offensively, Faried has much more range and I like him running the floor with Wall. Either way, the guy will probably be my 12th man and a match up play.

During group play, I'd go a near 50-50 in the minute split too. Five games in five days I believe.

Edited by stevemcqueen1

http://www.si.com/nba/2014/08/01/nba-nbpa-age-eligibility

The NBA and NBPA are considering raising the age limit for players to 21, but allowing high school players to be drafted straight out of high school. They would then be in the D-League until their eligible to join the league. 

I mentioned something similar to this in a post a month ago, and I think what they're proposing is a step in the right direction. I don't think there needs to be an age limit at all though. Just allow players to be drafted straight out of high school, they go into the D-League, and they can be called up their teams when they've proven their ready. A player like Lebron and Garnett wouldn't need to wait to be ready. 

I think they should also develop a system more akin to MLB's farm system. Where each team has their own D-League team to manage, and this could also help develop a more competitive D-League. Imagine older vets who aren't capable of playing in the NBA anymore, being able to continue their careers a little longer in the D-League? They could help mentor the young players and possibly ease them into retirement a little better than the abrupt end to their careers so many have. 

I think they should also develop a system more akin to MLB's farm system. Where each team has their own D-League team to manage, and this could also help develop a more competitive D-League. Imagine older vets who aren't capable of playing in the NBA anymore, being able to continue their careers a little longer in the D-League? They could help mentor the young players and possibly ease them into retirement a little better than the abrupt end to their careers so many have. 

That makes sense except. . . why would you pay for something that you are already getting for free?

The other problem is I doubt that they expand to the DLeague to the point that every team has its own club. For one, who wants a D-League that big? For another...why does any team want to responsible for developing that many players?

If I'm a GM, the most players I want to develop in the D League at any time is 3.

The D-League is essentially a place for really minor role players to either audition for overseas teams or to show off individual skills. I have never seen any report that suggests that any kind of player development actually happens there.

If I were an NBA team, I would probably use it more as a conditioning tool for players coming back from injuries rather than a true developmental league.

That makes sense except. . . why would you pay for something that you are already getting for free?

The other problem is I doubt that they expand to the DLeague to the point that every team has its own club. For one, who wants a D-League that big? For another...why does any team want to responsible for developing that many players?

If I'm a GM, the most players I want to develop in the D League at any time is 3.

If all they cared about was getting talent for free, then what is the big deal about age limits? Because the drafted players aren't living up to expectations. They need to, and seems like they are finally coming around to this, temper their expectations because the development of even the best talent can't happen quickly. And furthermore, the college game doesn't develop their players to play pro ball, they just run what will help them win right now. Jay Williams recently spoke on his college career, and he said he wasted his last year staying in college because he didn't learn anything he didn't already know how to do. A player who dominates in college isn't going to get better dominating weak competition, he'll need to consistently play against stronger competition in order to be better. Basically if you want quality you're going to have to invest in it. 

What's wrong with having a D-League with 30 teams? MLB seems to make it work, why not the NBA? 

And on developing your own players, it gives you more value in trades, and as far as the non-big market teams, it levels the playing field a little to allow them to be more competitive. Right now, the only shot Milwaukee or Minnesota has at winning a NBA championship is if they tank a season and a once-in-a-lifetime prospect is available, and even in that case they may be the worst team in the league and still not get the top pick to draft this player. The NBA has the worst parity among all the major sports leagues. Allowing a team to develop their own developmental team allows them to develop their drafted players, give more time to raw talent, and potentially have a team with great chemistry and talent that isn't cap strapped. Drafting players and putting them in your own D-League team also frees up cap room, as you don't have to pay them a NBA salary until you call them up. Those reasons are essentially will small market MLB teams can compete with the likes of the Yankees and Red Sox, who can outbid anybody, and win championships. 

The D-League is essentially a place for really minor role players to either audition for overseas teams or to show off individual skills. I have never seen any report that suggests that any kind of player development actually happens there.

If I were an NBA team, I would probably use it more as a conditioning tool for players coming back from injuries rather than a true developmental league.

This is true, but what I'm suggesting is revamping the D-League into something better, not as it's currently utilized. 

If all they cared about was getting talent for free, then what is the big deal about age limits? Because the drafted players aren't living up to expectations. They need to, and seems like they are finally coming around to this, temper their expectations because the development of even the best talent can't happen quickly. And furthermore, the college game doesn't develop their players to play pro ball, they just run what will help them win right now. Jay Williams recently spoke on his college career, and he said he wasted his last year staying in college because he didn't learn anything he didn't already know how to do. A player who dominates in college isn't going to get better dominating weak competition, he'll need to consistently play against stronger competition in order to be better. Basically if you want quality you're going to have to invest in it. 

There's a number of reasons why the NBA wants age limits. One....it doesn't trust itself to evaluate high school players. It barely trusts itself to evaluate college players. I think the teams want more film and information before they draft anyone. And players can develop in college - physically if nothing else. The Players Association likes age limits too, because they actually help the older players (who make more money) stay in the league.

What's wrong with having a D-League with 30 teams? MLB seems to make it work, why not the NBA? 

Minor League baseball only exists because baseball is a million years old and that system grew organically. No one would create that system today.

The real key to Minor League baseball is that the teams are (largely) independently owned and profiftable on their own. The Nationals do not own their Triple A club.

And on developing your own players, it gives you more value in trades, and as far as the non-big market teams, it levels the playing field a little to allow them to be more competitive. Right now, the only shot Milwaukee or Minnesota has at winning a NBA championship is if they tank a season and a once-in-a-lifetime prospect is available, and even in that case they may be the worst team in the league and still not get the top pick to draft this player. The NBA has the worst parity among all the major sports leagues. Allowing a team to develop their own developmental team allows them to develop their drafted players, give more time to raw talent, and potentially have a team with great chemistry and talent that isn't cap strapped. Drafting players and putting them in your own D-League team also frees up cap room, as you don't have to pay them a NBA salary until you call them up. Those reasons are essentially will small market MLB teams can compete with the likes of the Yankees and Red Sox, who can outbid anybody, and win championships. 

I keep seeing this complaint about the NBA and I don't know what to tell you. It's a 5-man sport and everybody plays both offense and defense. I don't care if you develop 15 Bradley Beals in the D-League. Lebron's team is still going to be better until he gets old.

By the way....I miss the CBA. The CBA actually did what everyone seems to want the D-League to do.

Edited by Lombardi's_kid_brother

I like the idea of kids drafted out of HS going to the D-League. I also like the idea of a 21 year old limit. But if you're going to use the d-league for players straight out of high school, you could essentially keep the same format for college kids but make them stay d-league until they're 21.

There's a number of reasons why the NBA wants age limits. One....it doesn't trust itself to evaluate high school players. It barely trusts itself to evaluate college players. I think the teams want more film and information before they draft anyone. And players can develop in college - physically if nothing else. The Players Association likes age limits too, because they actually help the older players (who make more money) stay in the league.

Developing physically in college just isn't enough. Players need to learn the skills to be a productive NBA player, not a productive NCAA player. Granted, the NCAA coaches have no obligation to help the NBA, and neither should the NBA feel obligated by not developing and paying the talent pool if the NCAA isn't going to. The older players can stay in league longer than they are right now when players from this year's draft aren't taking their roster spot to just sit on the end of the bench and not learn anything. Could Kwame Brown had benefited from being on a developmental team while an actual better player filled his roster spot?  

Minor League baseball only exists because baseball is a million years old and that system grew organically. No one would create that system today.

The real key to Minor League baseball is that the teams are (largely) independently owned and profiftable on their own. The Nationals do not own their Triple A club.

Plenty of MLB teams have benefited from the system they have today. To say no one would want it developed today is more your subjective opinion than fact. If what you're saying today was true, MLB teams wouldn't be using the minor league teams so often. Teams trading prospects and not allowing their young talent to be overwhelmed right after their drafted proves that. Also, whether they own those teams are not isn't important. They can call up or send down a player at will, it doesn't matter. 

I keep seeing this complaint about the NBA and I don't know what to tell you. It's a 5-man sport and everybody plays both offense and defense. I don't care if you develop 15 Bradley Beals in the D-League. Lebron's team is still going to be better until he gets old.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this part. If this were true, we would've never seen the Pistons defeat the Lakers to win a title. With a roster full of role players and the Lakers starting Kobe, Shaq, Malone and Payton. 

Edited by Gamebreaker