Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

I like the idea of kids drafted out of HS going to the D-League. I also like the idea of a 21 year old limit. But if you're going to use the d-league for players straight out of high school, you could essentially keep the same format for college kids but make them stay d-league until they're 21.

But why would these kids go to college then? If they know they can just go straight to the D-League, at least they can get paid while they are playing.

• Like 1

It still seems nuts to me that if Lebron came out today, his choices are go play in the D League for three years or pretend to go to college for three years.

That's what I meant by not having an age limit, but still allow HS players to be drafted and be placed in the D-League. Under those parameters, a NBA team can call up a Lebron at any time. 

That's what I meant by not having an age limit, but still allow HS players to be drafted and be placed in the D-League. Under those parameters, a NBA team can call up a Lebron at any time. 

Why go through the charade?

The Wizards don't have a D-League team. So, they draft John Wall and send him to....Cleveland's team to be developed?

Or they support a totally unnecessary 12 player farm team for the sole purpose of "developing" John Wall for a month until they call him up to the big team. How does he get paid? Like a D-leaguer or like John Wall - #1/#1?

And here is a question that NO ONE is asking: is any of this necessary? The NBA has never been healthier. It has never had more good players. It has never had more good young players (even with a disastrously terrible 2013 draft).

Why are we talking about artifically setting up a 30-team minor league? To protect teams from Hasheem Thabeet?

I honestly don't understand what the point of any of this is - other than some belief that young players need to be put in their place (unless they are really really good). Or that the NBA wants its rookies to be "more marketable."

Obviously, there is a huge benefit for the NCAA here. College basketball really sucks at the moment because all these teams cycle through players every six months or so. It would be great for college hoops if Kyrie Irving had just completed his senior season. We could be talking about Anthony Davis and Michael Kidd Gilchrist's senior year right now, and wondering if Kentucky was the best defensive team ever.

Here's my thoughts on that: The NCAA can go to hell. Anything that benefits the NCAA, I am against.

Edited by Lombardi's_kid_brother

That's silly. The thinking is, Indy exposed Wall: have the best defense in the league?

Wall was worn down in the Indy series. That's the biggest reason he played poorly. It wasn't any special trick Indy pulled off in defending him.

The lack of players that can dribble and pass, as well as the wizards poor offense, was exposed by Indy. All they had to do was make it hard for Wall to run plays and the offense collapses.

Nene was also unbelievably bad in that series. Even his free throw percentage. Simply awful.

The lack of players that can dribble and pass, as well as the wizards poor offense, was exposed by Indy. All they had to do was make it hard for Wall to run plays and the offense collapses.

Nene was also unbelievably bad in that series. Even his free throw percentage. Simply awful.

I think that Bulls series really took a lot out of the tank. It was deceptive for a five game series. They're bruisers that wear you down. Plus with the Wizards, you're talking about a team that hadn't played meaningful games in January in five years. Much less May. The lack of experience, if with nothing more than just handling the grind of the postseason, was a palpable factor in that series. Indy didn't get worn out and we did. Experience-wise, we were at the point where Indy was two or three seasons ago. That gap caught up with us against them.

That's also the reason I think Cleveland is being overrated right now. Even if they get Love, Varejao is the only guy on that team aside from LeBron whose tasted the postseason before. The wheels are going to come off for them in the playoffs next year, just like they did for us. I could be wrong, but I don't think either Kyrie or Love has even played a full season before.

As for the time between highschool and pros, the league may want to improve the product and have less guys entering the league that need a lot of development. NCAA does a horrible job of developing players for the nba. Guys that can't shoot simply attack the rim comfortable in the knowledge that they can spend their first two-three years in the nba learning to shoot. That's not good for the nba. Plus 18-19 year olds are often too weak and spend time getting pushed around.

The nba needs a league where every coach understand that his job is to turn his players into pros. Not find an offense he can win with that hides every players faults, but actually try to make them into better players with well rounded skills.

• Like 1

As for the time between highschool and pros, the league may want to improve the product and have less guys entering the league that need a lot of development. NCAA does a horrible job of developing players for the nba.

Is this true? Or is it simply a fact that it's tough to develop anyone when you only coach them for six months.

Also....is there any evidence that players need dramatic improvements?

That's what I want to know. What on the court issue is driving this? What needs improved in the NBA?

- Last year was the third best year ever for 3 point shooting percentage - excluding the years when the line was moved closer.

- Overall field goal percentage is on a three- year upswing. Last year was the fourth best year for FG percentage since 1996. This is depsite the fact that the number of three point attempts are through the roof (21.5 per game. The most by a wide margin and 12 more per game than 1994).

- Points per game are at a 20 year high.

- Defenses are clearly better and more sophisticated than ever. Where players in the 80s "more skilled?" Or was it just easy to look super skilled when you could put on a dribbling exhibition with no one guarding you?

Yes, there are complaints. But I don't care how many developmental leagues you create, the disapperance of the mid-range game is not coming back until you make rule changes.

So, I want to return to that question of: would you rather trade Kyrie or Wiggins for Love?

At first I was thinking definitely Wiggins. But the more I think about both, the more I think the better play is to trade Kyrie instead.

I don't totally trust Wiggins, which is why I've been for trading him. I think getting Kevin Love for him could be selling as high as possible.

But if I'm wrong, Wiggins might end up being the better player than Kyrie outright. And the more I read about Kyrie, the more I wonder if he can thrive as an offensive player playing off the ball. He's not a great passer. He's not a catch and shoot player. And he can't play defense for ****. So if he's not playing pure point with the ball in his hands at the start of plays, what's he giving you?

He's going to have to learn to play off the ball and catch and shoot to play with LeBron.

If Kyrie is not a great fit with LeBron, then the Cavs majorly limit their ceiling by keeping him over Wiggins IMO. Kyrie is bought and paid for with a max deal now. The whole point of him being a max player is as an elite scorer that creates his own looks off the bounce. He's not giving you passing and he's a big negative on defense. But if you push him off the ball and the off ball game is sketchy / a work in progress, that's a problem. LeBron would be better off playing with a PG that is an off ball shooter or one that can actually play defense or pass.

And also, Kyrie gets hurt. He hasn't played a full season in college or the NBA. He's missed an average of 16 games a season his first three years and has topped out at only 2,496 minutes in a season.

So my question is, how valuable is Kyrie's off the dribble scoring ability really going to be for the Cavs? Especially if they get Love. LeBron creates. Love can create. Waiters can create. Isn't that enough creativity for the playoffs?

You do need a PG, which argues for Irving. And Andrew Wiggins is a natural SF. Similar to Paul George. LeBron/Love is your forward tandem. Love can not be playing C if Cleveland's defense is going to have any kind of credibility. So that means Wiggins would have to be able to play SG and he would have to be able to lock down opposing 2s to justify his value IMO. But if he can, Wiggins, LeBron, Love as the 2, 3, and 4 with a Jose Calderon or something is arguably better than Irving, Waiters, LeBron, Love.

The Cavs won't consider the move, they're married to Irving. And Minny probably prefers Wiggins because they're apparently married to Rubio. But I wonder if it wouldn't make a lot more sense for Cleveland to build a package around Kyrie + picks & pieces for Love + Rubio? Cleveland would be getting far more than one to one value for Kyrie and they'd get another starting PG, and Rubio is the best defensive PG in the game and he's a brilliant passer. Then if you determine Wiggins isn't a fit at SG, deal him for a 2 or a 5 down the road.

BTW, shame on LaMarcus Aldridge and Kevin Love for pussing out of Team USA this summer. If Griffin really is hurt, he gets a pass. But I also doubt that he couldn't have played if he wanted to.

The fact that the (arguably) four best power forwards in the best basketball league in the world are all relatively young Americans and only one of them bothered to play for Team USA is a disgrace.

Aldridge probably won't even try to play in 2016. But I hope they tell Kevin Love to **** off if he wants to play in the Olympics.

So, I want to return to that question of: would you rather trade Kyrie or Wiggins for Love?

I've said from the start, I'd trade Kyrie before Wiggins.

I think Wiggins is very likely to be a much better fit with Lebron than Kyrie.

I also think I can get another guard that has a little bit of handle and can shoot really well and so play off the ball better with Lebron, then I can find a premier perimeter/transition defensive player, which I think Wiggins can become pretty quickly.

We need to be taking Faried.

We need to be taking Cousins too.

That was a bad foul on Steph Curry early by Klay Thompson. But he's killed it ever since.

Also, Rose looks like an absolute JET.

Paul George has also been the least impressive player on the floor so far. Yeesh. Him as a lock to start doesn't feel right. I'm not sure we're not better off starting Curry and Harden as the wings, or having Durant play SF, Davis PF, and Cousins start at C.

It'd be stupid if we take Korver over Thompson.

Andre Drummond, damn. No goal tends in FIBA. Drummond could kill it.

Wall looking uncomfortable with this group right now. Korver, Plumlee, and Hayward all look like crap. Not looking like a white guy is going to make this team...

DeRozan is looking good.

Bad first shift for Wall. He's going to lose his spot to Kyrie if he doesn't play better.

Curry and Rose have been the two most impressive guards so far, by a good margin.

Durant was fouled on that dunk by Davis.

Davis has been outplayed by Faried, Drummond, and Cousins so far. I think we really need to consider bringing all four players.

My impressions of each guy from the first half:

- Rose - looks good, lock to start

- Durant - what you'd expect on offense + been good on the glass and defending in the paint

- Cousins - our best big man so far, but a couple of bad post up attempts

- Drummond - beast on the glass, intimidates with his size, but RAW offensively.

- Davis - not playing well. foul machine, uncomfortable and out of sync on offense

- George - also not playing well. Totally invisible except a couple very awkward looking offensive possessions.

- Irving - been solid. a nice drive, but mostly just been staying out of the way.

- Curry - looks fantastic. On both ends of the court. One of the best performers so far.

- Thompson - also looks great. Showing some offensive creativity and been a bit of a ball hawk on defense.

- DeRozan - looks very comfortable, creating for himself, making plays on defense. Looks like he belongs on the team.

- Harden - playing his game for sure, come close on a couple of steals.

- Faried - our second best big by a solid margin. This guy makes things happen and slides into the lineups seamlessly without taking anything off the table. We need to take this guy. He and Cousins are our best guys on the glass.

- Millsap - done his thing and made some plays but hasn't really stood out. Faried is pulling away from him.

- Korver - been ugly for the most part, but he's being forced to do waaaay too much. Wall needs to step up and take control of that line and not park himself in the corner.

- Plumlee - happy to be there really. Drummond ate him alive for a couple put backs and he's struggling to run PnR with Wall. He doesn't belong on the floor with these other guys.

- Hayward - settled down after an awful start and scored some baskets by creating on perimeter drives, but it really hurts him that he's not a good shooter. And it's hurt that blue second line, which is clearly out manned by the white second line.

- Parsons - almost totally invisible

- Lillard - looks fantastic. Outplaying Wall. And playing good defense too, especially on PnRs. Right now he's your third PG behind Rose and Curry.

- Wall - playing awful. Out of rhythm and committing bad turnovers. Can't get the PnRs going. Alternating between trying to do too much and being too passive, camping out in the corner and letting the likes of Plumlee and Korver try and create.

- Beal - scoring and defending well. Avoiding mistakes. One of the better performers of the White second team.

Anyone know what ball they are using? I've never had one of those in my hands before and I've played with official NCAA and NBA basketballs. (NCAA ball is better IMO). I think I'd like to get one of those just to see what it's like.

Edited by Destino

Paul George just broke his leg. Clear as day. Chasing down the ball carrier as he went for a layup. PGs foot landed right at the base of the pad where the basket comes up from the rim. The rest of his body went towards the baseline seats, but his foot got caught on that pad.  Saw it snap inwards back towards the court.

Edited by STBonecrusher21