Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

37 minutes ago, CRobi21 said:

Especially when the players half ass it and don't take it seriously...

By shooting threes left handed? That was awful. 

Every women in DC had Tatum’s coat years ago. I remember thinking what the hell is that pattern. (Houndstooth)

Future, Kai Cenat and Chick-Fil-A: How Wizards rookie Bilal Coulibaly is adjusting to the NBA

Wembanyama

There are plenty of stats to show how unprecedented Wembanyama's rookie season is, but perhaps most remarkable is his 32% usage rate, the highest on record for a qualifying rookie since player turnovers were first tracked in 1977-78, according to Stathead.com. Wemby has surpassed Luka Doncic's 30.5% as another veteran of professional basketball in Europe, with Michael Jordan in fifth at 30%. We've seen MVP Joel Embiid (36%!) carry an even heavier load in a shortened season, but Wembanyama is doing so night in and night out, a process that should accelerate his development as it did for Doncic -- an All-NBA first-team pick in his second season.

Okay the LED court is cool in theory and looks neat but in reality, it's awful and just not practical.  It looked like it was blinding everyone last night during all the competitions.  They need to one and done the idea.

Speaking of last nights competitions, the skills contest and the dunk contest were complete jokes.  I don't know how they can make dunks better and do things that we haven't seen yet, but what they did last night was just bad.  Almost everyone dunk was jumping over someone else who gave the ball to them, and then we had Jaylen Brown cover his face AFTER he did that.  Like WTF was that lol?  I loved how Kenny said that he sneezed as he was landing that had me rolling lol.

The 3pt contest was fun as usual but the green blow on everyone took it down a notch to me.  It just bothered me and I'm sure if had an effect on the players even if in the slightest.

I've always liked the All Star weekend but the dunk contest just is lame with no star power and then a g-league white boy coming into it.  Like dudes not even in the NBA and he's in the NBA dunk contest.  It's just dumb.  And the way it was judged yesterday was just bad the last dunk was no where close to a 50 point dunk it was basically a repeat of one he did prior.

It would be more fun if they just scrapped the skills contest, had more people in the 3pt contest and made it more rounds, then had at least 8 people in the dunk contest.  They also shouldn't let them get more than 1 attempt, and they can be judged on their 1 attempt if it's missed.  When they make their dunk on the 2nd attempt it doesn't have the same impact as it would if they made it on the first one, because you know what is coming.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/39556264/nba-again-left-seeking-solutions-another-uncompetitive-all-star-game

After months of stressing the importance of having a more competitive product on the court for this weekend's All-Star Game, NBA commissioner Adam Silver doubled down on that front Saturday night, declaring, "I think we're going to see a good game" in the NBA's annual midseason showcase at Gainbridge Fieldhouse on Sunday.

But after the 73rd All-Star Game looked exactly like last year's lackluster performance in Salt Lake City -- with the Eastern Conference setting the all-time scoring record by becoming the first team to surpass 200 points in what was eventually a 211-186 victory over the Western Conference -- Silver's annoyance at what took place was clearly on display.

"And to the Eastern Conference All-Stars, you scored the most points," Silver said flatly. "Well ... congratulations."

• Haha 1

@purbeastis right.  I keep tuning into the dunk contest out of habit and thinking/hoping that someone will do something we haven't seen before.  IIRC, the year Vince Carter won, there seemed to be the same malaise.  I don't know how accurate my memory is but I seem to remember thinking that the dunk contest was old, stale and everything had been done.  Then Vince Carter came in and took it to a whole new level.  But that was over 20 years ago, now it's just guys pulling really tall former players out of the crowd and leaping over them.  I don't want to say that everything has already been done, but it's looking that way.  The highlights from the dunk contest were boring as ****.

I fell asleep after the 3 point contest and the Steph/Sabrina thing...actually, the Steph/Sabrina thing was the highlight of the weekend for me, I wasn't expecting that. 

I dunno how Silver thinks he can make guys want to play defense in an all-star game but good luck trying.  Half those guys would rather not be there, all of them want to avoid injury.

Edited by Spaceman Spiff

1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

@purbeastis right.  I keep tuning into the dunk contest out of habit and thinking/hoping that someone will do something we haven't seen before.  IIRC, the year Vince Carter won, there seemed to be the same malaise.  I don't know how accurate my memory is but I seem to remember thinking that the dunk contest was old, stale and everything had been done.  Then Vince Carter came in and took it to a whole new level.  But that was over 20 years ago, now it's just guys pulling really tall former players out of the crowd and leaping over them.  I don't want to say that everything has already been done, but it's looking that way.  The highlights from the dunk contest were boring as ****.

I fell asleep after the 3 point contest and the Steph/Sabrina thing...actually, the Steph/Sabrina thing was the highlight of the weekend for me, I wasn't expecting that. 

I dunno how Silver thinks he can make guys want to play defense in an all-star game but good luck trying.  Half those guys would rather not be there, all of them want to avoid injury.

The dunk contest is wack.  It used to mean something when the best players competed in the contest and we saw never before seen dunks, like Jordan in 87-88, Vince Carter in 2000 and even Aaron Gordon in 2016.  The league is different now, in that 3-Pt shooting is more prevalent and respected in today’s game than dunking is.  I think they should either move the dunk contest to the first event on Saturday night, or they should scrap it all together.  They should just do the dunk contest first, then the skills challenge, and then the 3-Pt shooting contest last.

If you noticed, there were WAY more stars competing in the 3-Pt shooting contest, than the dunk contest.  It’s been the case now for several years.  It just highlights that stars care WAY more about shooting than they do dunking.

Edited by samy316
  • Thumb down 1

3 minutes ago, samy316 said:

The dunk contest is wack.  It used to mean something when the best players competed in the contest and we saw never before seen dunks, like Jordan in 87-88, Vince Carter in 2000 and even Aaron Gordon in 2016.  The league is different now, in that 3-Pt shooting is more prevalent and respected in today’s game than dunking is.  I think they should either move the dunk contest to the first event on Saturday night, or they should scrap it all together.  They should just do the dunk contest first, then the skills challenge, and then the 3-Pt shooting contest last.

If you noticed, there were WAY more stars competing in the 3-Pt shooting contest, than the dunk contest.  It’s been the case now for several years.  It just highlights that stars care WAY more about shooting than they do dunking.

I don't really need to see stars competing in the dunk contest in order to care about it.  It'd be cool of they did, but seeing someone like Ja Morant jumping over someone he pulled out of the crowd isn't going to make me change my mind, I don't think.  It's still the same thing.  Like, Harold Miner is still memorable if you're of a certain age.

I'd just like to see something that I haven't seen before...but I think after 40-ish years of dunk contests most everything has been done.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I'd just like to see something that I haven't seen before...but I think after 40-ish years of dunk contests most everything has been done.

And this is why it should just be appreciated for what it is.

I'm still waiting for someone to kiss the backboard. Like full on put on lipstick in front of the crowd and dunk while kissing the backboard. Probably not humanly possible yet. 

But it's funny if you go back and see most dunks that won 20 and 30 years ago. Average dunkers could probably do those now. Also though Mac's first dunk was something we hadn't seen. 

MLB all star >>>> any other league all star festivities. Maybe NBA needs to put home court advantage on the line (hope not).

Edited by The Evil Genius