Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

10 minutes ago, PeterMP said:

But it is likely that Giannis had input in the coaching hire for the same reason he probably had a say in firing Griffin.

Story is they partly ended up with Griffin because Giannis didn't want Nurse.

https://marcstein.substack.com/p/inside-the-bucks-sudden-dismissal

And yes, that's what happen last year and that happens.  But Giannis got hurt and missed some games.  And despite that happening some times, every contenders objective at the start of the season is win their conference, get the #1 seed, and go into the playoffs healthy.  Yes, the #1 seed sometimes gets bounced early.  But that's still what teams want to do.

My original comment was this seemed dysfunctional, not necessarily who's fault it is.

On one hand I get your point that Giannis had a huge part on getting that coach here in the first place...clearly too much influence on the matter and it failed miserably.

On other hand, now the Bucks front office has gone from jus being dumb to being desperate and dumb.  Totally buying the word in the street they were winning uphill via their talent, Giannis basically went off in the Finals the year they won it.

This at minimum has to be frustrating for him, why else would the front office go out of their way to give him a level of influence on a decision making process no player should have (and results like this are a reason why)?

2 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I think that's taking it a bit too far.

Playing with fire then.

8 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

My original comment was this seemed dysfunctional, not necessarily who's fault it is.

On one hand I get your point that Giannis had a huge part on getting that coach here in the first place...clearly too much influence on the matter and it failed miserably.

On other hand, now the Bucks front office has gone from jus being dumb to being desperate and dumb.  Totally buying the word in the street they were winning uphill via their talent, Giannis basically went off in the Finals the year they won it.

This at minimum has to be frustrating for him, why else would the front office go out of their way to give him a level of influence on a decision making process no player should have (and results like this are a reason why)?

Playing with fire then.

You guys need to wonder if Giannis is that stupid to want a rookie coach.  

Bud was a good coach for them.  A little distracted last year, IIRC his brother died or something right around the playoffs time.  But the team played better under Bud than they did under Griffin and Jason Kidd.  

If we're going to call them dumb, they were dumb for firing Bud.

5 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

You guys need to wonder if Giannis is that stupid to want a rookie coach.  

Bud was a good coach for them.  A little distracted last year, IIRC his brother died or something right around the playoffs time.  But the team played better under Bud than they did under Griffin and Jason Kidd.  

If we're going to call them dumb, they were dumb for firing Bud.

I'm still struggling to process how many Coach of the Year winners I've seen fired the last couple years...Raptors alone have done it twice now.

People do silly **** sometimes when they have limited patience and high expectations.  It's typically a bad combination.

Edited by Renegade7

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

Realistically in today's NBA, many star players have a say in coaching.  It isn't uncommon.  Any time you have a super star, you can pretty much guarantee in today's NBA they've at least signed off on any coaching change.  It is just the nature of the league.

And you do that so you don't lose the super star as you suggested would happen with Milwaukee.  I'd tend to agree with you that they'd be at risk of losing Giannis except for there is every indication that he's had a say in these changes.  And that at least minimizes the chances of him leaving.

Do doubt Giannis is frustrated, but I doubt he's going to leave over his frustration because he's probably had a say in all of the decisions.

Also, it is to say they shouldn't hire a rookie coach, but there aren't a lot of top veteran coaches out there to hire, especially if Giannis nixed Nurse.  If they decided Bud wasn't the answer, then there isn't anybody obvious with experience that is good to bring in.  You get into the likes of Doc who has some pretty big warts.

Edited by PeterMP

11 minutes ago, Destino said:

Booker had 62 tonight in a losing effort against the Pacers.

what the heck is happening in the NBA? 

70 is the new 40. Scoring inflation and inflated efficiency due to increased possessions (jacking up shots, rules against defense) within 48 minutes. It's crazy that 60 or 70+ points in a game means nothing now.

2 hours ago, Metalhead said:

70 is the new 40. Scoring inflation and inflated efficiency due to increased possessions (jacking up shots, rules against defense) within 48 minutes. It's crazy that 60 or 70+ points in a game means nothing now.

To you maybe...

17 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

To you maybe...

Elgin Baylor did it once in 1960.  Then Wilt did it multiple times between 1961, 1962, and 1963.

No one did it again until 1978 - David Thompson.  Then another gap until 1994 - David Robinson and another gap until Kobe Bryant's 81 - 2006.  Then we had Devin Booker in 2017 (Jeez, I did not realize he's been in the league that long).  Donovan Mitchell and Damien Lilliard in 2023 and Joel Embiid and Luka Doncic -- 4 of them within the past 13 months. 

To compare it to baseball, this is about like a 4 HR game in baseball.  I think there were "more than typical" 4 HR games in the 2002 to 2003 timeframe... but it doesn't make it a less impressive feat.  

• Thumb up 1

5 hours ago, Destino said:

Booker had 62 tonight in a losing effort against the Pacers.

what the heck is happening in the NBA? 

Probably a lack of transition defense, more and more games look like the all-star game. Rules are protecting the scorers, while the defenders have to adapt and therefore are limited if they want to avoid fouls. We've also got an extremely talented generation of players including "the alien" from San Antonio.

It's an era of plenty, show me some defense.

Will there ever be a point when fans will get bored ?

See the thunderous Victor's block on Simons 💥💣, and Thybulle missing the ball an making a block shot on Victor's head :)

Edited by FrFan

There are stories on youtube about Kobe from other players that make me appreciate him more everyday...word is he'd have a coach go up and down the court before games bouncing the ball to find dead spots so Kobe could memorize and force the player he was defending into them for an advantage.

Doncic would have thrived in any era because the way he scores. The way he plays shouldn’t be possible and yet he does it every night. There isn’t a man alive that would have believed that style of ball would work in the NBA at a near MVP level. 

That’s the thing that makes the nba fun though. You get to watch people do seemingly impossible things. Things they should be able to do. And now we have a giant with arms that look CGI when he fully extends them, dribbling through traffic. Amazing.

• Like 1

Embidd weak for not playing today. 

Luka is one of my favorite players to watch because he is so crafty. I wish he would be better off ball tho and less whiney

If you watched Luka’s game, he could have tried to go for 80 but he didn’t force anything down the stretch. 

• Like 1