Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

8 hours ago, PeterMP said:

It is not just money though.  It is reasonableness in terms of competitiveness longer term.

They might be able to afford them, but does giving some of these guys big time 4 year contracts?

I kept saying it, GS has made clear they will spend whatever they need to in order to win championships, they don't f'n care.  Boogie is an example of what I see them doing, willing to convince an all-star to come in in hopes of replacing another one that might be getting too old or they know is going to leave.  This could easily turn into a self-feeding cyclone if their isn't a hard cap put in place.

As for KD coming to the Wizards, I don't see it without somehow getting Otto off our cap, he's maxing max, that needs to some how be given to Durant, we're paying luxury tax, too.  KD can do what he wants now.  If LeBron can make it through another go round with Gilbert, I'm sure KD is capable of tolerating Ernie.  We need to play better, he wants to win, he won't come here if we suck, I'm convinced of that.  We didn't make the playoffs his last year in OKC.

Trae Young is going to have a horrible NBA career. You heard it here first. Honestly I thought that before the draft I just didn't say anything. He's a weakling who can't shoot consistently in the NBA cuz he can't create his own shot. He's nothing. Watch.

Loved what I saw from Duncan Robinson and Jones, who was trying to kill people out there.

Bagley also looked like ass, though I guess it's to be expected, but, he had a popsicle stick on the score total, and got ate up by Jones.

Edited by Mr. Sinister

1 hour ago, abdcskins said:

Trae Young is going to have a horrible NBA career. You heard it here first. 

Been hearing it since last winter honestly. We'll see. But he takes stupid shots, from what I was of him at OU and now in Summer League. Steph Curry is what he is because he has the range of the Hubble telescope. This dude don't have that range. And yeah, his lack of size and athleticism along with that will be a major hinderance. I certainly don't see franchise player. If he's gonna make it he's gonna have to go in the shop and work on his craft because nothing really jumps out at me.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

I kept saying it, GS has made clear they will spend whatever they need to in order to win championships, they don't f'n care.  Boogie is an example of what I see them doing, willing to convince an all-star to come in in hopes of replacing another one that might be getting too old or they know is going to leave.  This could easily turn into a self-feeding cyclone if their isn't a hard cap put in place.

There are still rules in place determining what they can and can't do which is why they couldn't afford Lebron. They can't just sign anyone they want because there isn't a hard cap. 

Now, maybe the can convince future stars to take less money like Cousins did. That's not really the same thing though or a dependable long term strategy for them. 

8 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

As for KD coming to the Wizards, I don't see it without somehow getting Otto off our cap, he's maxing max, that needs to some how be given to Durant, we're paying luxury tax, too.  KD can do what he wants now.  If LeBron can make it through another go round with Gilbert, I'm sure KD is capable of tolerating Ernie.  We need to play better, he wants to win, he won't come here if we suck, I'm convinced of that.  We didn't make the playoffs his last year in OKC.

They are limited on how much they can spend.  The NBA essentially has a hard cap when you hit the apron.

They can't pay Boogie more than $7 million a year next year (they can only give him a 120% of what he's making this year).  If Boogie is healthy, plays at a high level, and isn't a pain, he's going to be worth much more than $7 million a year.  If stars our willing to come play at huge discounts, there is nothing you can do.

Until then, Boogie is a one off sort of situation where nobody wanted to give a guy that has a history of being a bit of a problem and probably weighs 300 pounds a big contract coming off an achilles injury and so he decided to take a one year prove it contract with a very good team.

KD is never coming to DC.  It is clear, he doesn't have the same mind set as Lebron.  Maybe having those years early in his career when he was in Cleveland and got to know the fans made the difference, but Lebron has an attachment to Cleveland that KD just doesn't have to DC.  At this point in time, KD is a west coast guy, and I don't think he'd ever come back east, especially in a situation where he'd be expected to lead a team.  Maybe towards the end of his career when he's along for the ride.

31 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

There are still rules in place determining what they can and can't do which is why they couldn't afford Lebron. They can't just sign anyone they want because there isn't a hard cap. 

Now, maybe the can convince future stars to take less money like Cousins did. That's not really the same thing though or a dependable long term strategy for them. 

And it isn't like they even convinced Cousins to take less money.  Based on all reports, there wasn't a clearly better contract out there for Cousins.  Reports are Cousins called them.

Nobody wanted to put big multi-year money into Cousins, but nobody also wanted to pay much for a one year rental that might only play  for 1/2 the year.

Edited by PeterMP
  • Like 1

If Kd likes cupcake rides to finals...i can envision him coming east now that Lebron is out. He would pretty much elevate any decently talented team to a one seed. If he went to Celtics, easy ride to finals. Here, pretty easy ride to finals, bucks - sem easy ride and him and greek freak would be absurdly disgusting to watch together. 

13 minutes ago, 757SeanTaylor21 said:

If Kd likes cupcake rides to finals...i can envision him coming east now that Lebron is out. He would pretty much elevate any decently talented team to a one seed. If he went to Celtics, easy ride to finals. Here, pretty easy ride to finals, bucks - sem easy ride and him and greek freak would be absurdly disgusting to watch together. 

It is more than that.  The West Coast is different.  By all accounts, he enjoyed his time in Seattle and that's part of the reason why he signed with GS.  A guy that likes the west coast environment, life style, and culture enough that he's willing to give up millions of dollars is not going to go play in Milwaukee or Boston unless he doesn't have any other really good choices.

Maybe at the end of his career if he wants to still be in a position where he wants to compete for a championship and there are no teams on the west coast that are really competing that have a spot for him, he'd go do something like that.  But that's the only way.

If the NBA needs to do anything, they need to allow teams to put public bids on in free agents.  If the player turns down the contract to take one for less money, some percentage of the difference in the contract goes against the teams cap.    So if somebody else is willing to pay KD $10 million more than GS, then GS can sign him for that $10 million less value, but they get something like another $5 million counted against their cap.

(Now, you'd have to do something else so that players keep getting whatever share of the money and no player is being paid that $5 million so you'd have to distribute that money over all of the teams cap.  Every team would get a small boost in their cap equivalent to the $5 million spread over all of them.)

The net effect is you will diminish the value of players giving teams discounts.

With respect to the Cousins situation, it doesn't actually seem like it would have made much of a difference because it doesn't seem like anybody wanted to give Cousins much of a contract.

19 minutes ago, bearrock said:

Did he go for the weather?

He went for the city, to play for a coach that actually knows what he is doing, to play with his friends, his business opportunities and to play in a system that can maximize his talents without asking him to take turns playing iso ball with ****face Russ. He signed an extension in OKC and had already taken that team to the Finals. He wasn't afraid of "the hard way" or the "man's way" 

Love how you guys hate him but if he signed with the Wizards that would be the manly thing to do and would be perfectly acceptable as would any other super team forming in DC

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man

23 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

He went for the city, to play for a coach that actually knows what he is doing, to play with his friends, his business opportunities and to play in a system that can maximize his talents without asking him to take turns playing iso ball with ****face Russ. He signed an extension in OKC and had already taken that team to the Finals. He wasn't afraid of "the hard way" or the "man's way" 

Love how you guys hate him but if he signed with the Wizards that would be the manly thing to do and would be perfectly acceptable as would any other super team forming in DC

I don't hate him at all.  It was probably the smartest thing to do and having some criticism as getting championship in a superteam likely outweighs finishing your career without one.  Also, I don't know that GSW necessarily wins both of the last 2 without KD.  But I don't have to gaslight why he went to GSW.

KD went to the best team to offer him a contract. Its not his fault its possible in the NBA for the best team to pick up the best free agent. 

If 1996 = 2016 then Shaq signs with the Chicago Bulls. 

When talking about why KD went to the Warriors, lets not forget that Green texted him after losing to the Cavs essentially saying, we need you to come here (so we can be sure to beat the Cavs).

There can't be any question that winning championships wasn't part of why he made the jump to GS was (ease of) winning championships.

15 minutes ago, Mooka said:

KD went to the best team to offer him a contract. Its not his fault its possible in the NBA for the best team to pick up the best free agent. 

If 1996 = 2016 then Shaq signs with the Chicago Bulls. 

2016 was an odd year because of the way the cap went up.  It is also helped that Curry was playing on a way below market value contract because he signed a (cheap) extension the year before his rookie contract expired because of fears over his ankles.

Edited by PeterMP

48 minutes ago, bearrock said:

I don't hate him at all.  It was probably the smartest thing to do and having some criticism as getting championship in a superteam likely outweighs finishing your career without one.  Also, I don't know that GSW necessarily wins both of the last 2 without KD.  But I don't have to gaslight why he went to GSW.

I should have said hate on him not necessarily hate him. Sure he went also for the opportunity to win a ring with a great team. But he had a great team in OKC as well. One FA signing could have easily put them over the top on Golden State who they had down 3-1 already. Trust in the front office is another reason he left. He just saw OKC give away James Harden while GS was trying to lock down their core guys long-term.

I just don't think that he went because he's soft, weak or wanted a cupcake ride to the finals which was the post I quoted. 

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man
  • Like 1