Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

14 minutes ago, Kosher Ham said:

Any point guard should be able to be around eighty percent. Especially a max player. 

Last year was an aberration (hopefully).

The last 5 years or so he's pretty much been an 80 percent free throw shooter.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

1 minute ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

I'm not sure why that's the hill Kosh wants to die on but apparently PG FT% is that important to him. 

I think it's more damning against the player that the team played better without him than what his FT% is but oh well. 

Except they didn't play better without John Wall.

I mean they initially played better without a hobbled John Wall but they came crashing back to earth towards the end of the season.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

I mean they initially played better without a hobbled John Wall but they came crashing back to earth towards the end of the season.

They got a lift in the doldrums of the season from a fresh and hungry Satoransky, who turns out is a pretty good young player.  But you're right, they came crashing back down once teams adjusted to our inability to create offense off the dribble.  They figured out they could trap Beal on the wins whenever he got the ball into his hand and completely bog the offense down.

Our offense was clearly worse without John.  Him coming back breathed life back into us because everyone started getting easy shots again.  Where I'd say we actually did get a little better after John went out was on defense.  Satoransky plays noticeably harder on D.  Defense was really the key to that nice run we went on midseason.  John needs to do a better job on that end of the court.  He's certainly capable of doing so.

• Like 2

The Lakers may actually be doing a fairly smart thing in keeping their powder dry. Every team wants to build their roster in July. And then in December, Dwight Howard puts a whoopie cushion in John Wall's locker one too many times and suddenly an all-star PG is available for a song. Someone ALWAYS becomes available. And no one is going to turn down a trade to the Lakers and Lebron.

Lebron's contract announced to the league that he's in LA for the duration of his career.

I mean, Klay Thompson is a SoCal guy and probably isn't going to get a max deal with the Warriors next year. Move a few hours south and play where his dad played.

Wouldn't the Warriors be able to offer Klay the most of any teams (Bird rights and all)? Plus I don't see Klay chasing the $s like Draymond will in 2 years.

Edit...I'd put KDs odds of leaving GS next year a lot higher than Klay's. Him to the Lakers makes a lot more sense too.

Edited by The Evil Genius

I don't see Klay leaving the Warriors either.  He loves it there.

I could see Draymond leaving.  I think he's going to age harder and faster than the others, and I think he's going to want to cash in before he hits his cliff because he knows its coming soon.

He's going to be tough to replace.  There just aren't many good power forwards capable of playing the new style of basketball.  There is no one else in the league that's like him.  Maybe Jordan Bell can be something new and different for them.  But most likely the Warriors are going to have to evolve once they lose Draymond.  He and KD being so strong and interchangeable on defense at the 4 and 5 is what lets them put the juggernaut offensive lineup on the floor for most of the game and still play top ten defense.

9 hours ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

The reverse is true. The east is weak, look at your playoff teams, Bucks,Wiz, Raptors, and Miami, 76ers, and Pacers.  

The Wizard were an 8th seed and had 3 less wins than the non playoffs Nuggets. 

That's the point. How many more wins do you think the Lakers would get if they played in the Southeast Division?

Look, the Warriors owners are not the richest people on the planet. At some point, the idea of a $300 million payroll is going to be too much to handle

I don't know if the choice will be entirely Klay's. Are they going to sign a 30 year old guard to massive long-term contract when he's arguably their 4th most important piece?

I think the ultimate end game for the Warriors is Steph+Durant and a rotating cast of characters.

And, I don't care how happy a player is, when you are in your thirties and already have 4 rings, a team friendly deal means that you could be leaving $50 million or so on the table with no chance to ever get that money back.

It's also not like Lebron is in Milwaukee. Finishing out your career with Lebron in a Lakers' uniform is going to be attractive option to anyone.

I'm just saying, there are going to be options.

Also, there is always a chance that New Orleans starts 10-20, and Davis demands a trade. NBA stars always choose their landing spot. From Wilt to Kareem to Barkley to Shaq to Lebron. There's a long history of this happening, and it works out an incredible amount of the time.

That's basically Magic's pitch. Here are the guys who came to the Lakers to win a title, and here are the titles they won.

2 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I don't see Klay leaving the Warriors either.  He loves it there.

I could see Draymond leaving.  I think he's going to age harder and faster than the others, and I think he's going to want to cash in before he hits his cliff because he knows its coming soon.

He's going to be tough to replace.  There just aren't many good power forwards capable of playing the new style of basketball.  There is no one else in the league that's like him.  Maybe Jordan Bell can be something new and different for them.  But most likely the Warriors are going to have to evolve once they lose Draymond.  He and KD being so strong and interchangeable on defense at the 4 and 5 is what lets them put the juggernaut offensive lineup on the floor for most of the game and still play top ten defense.

Assuming he's actually cleared to play, Cousins should go a long long way in giving Draymond relief. He's a legit 5 who can space the floor. I mean, he lineup of death at that point would be Steph-Klay-Durant-Draymond-Cousins. Draymond would suddenly be the 3 instead of the 5.

I still think Draymond is going to age in dog years, because of what they've asked him to do. But he has a very good chance of looking younger and fresher next year, which will absolutely fool one of the dumber teams (Brooklyn) into maxing him out.

I do think that once one Jenga piece is removed, they'll need to evaluate that entire roster. Things looked a little shaky with Iggy last year.

The fact remains that any team in history would be a title favorite with Durant-Curry and a dozen scrubs. Eventually, they are going to be a more conventional team. Next year is probably the final time they'll look and play like we're used to seeing.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Look, the Warriors owners are not the richest people on the planet. At some point, the idea of a $300 million payroll is going to be too much to handle

Their ownership group is smart venture capitalists.  I suspect the team is a cash cow for them.  I can't remember where I read it and so I can't remember what the number was, but I read that they made an incredible amount of money off their playoff run.  Enough to cover their payroll for the year.  At this point, it feels like Golden State's success is self-perpetuating and that they're not bound by the spending limits of other teams because being able to make a ton of money each season is a safe bet.

I was curious as to how the Nuggets and Thunder could afford to spend so much money on their rosters this season, and I found out that each NBA team has access to 200 million dollars of in house financing from the NBA.  That can pay for a lot of payroll and tax if things go poorly and you get bounced from the playoffs early.  So teams have a lot of freedom to take risks.

I also suspect that the Warriors players are making a ton of supplemental income from all of that silicon valley money out there.

I think that the Warriors are going to be able to make the financial side work to keep the Beatles together if they want to.  I think age and exhaustion are going to be what finally does them in, rather than money.  Iggy does not have much longer and he's a critical piece.  Draymond will be the next to decline, and he's even more critical.  And then I actually don't think Curry will play at an MVP level for as long as some of his other peers.  It wouldn't surprise me if he's only got two or three more All-NBA caliber seasons in him.  There is a BIG difference between Durant + MVP caliber Curry vs Durant + fringe All Star caliber Curry in the same way that there was a big difference between LeBron + Wade in 2011 vs LeBron + Wade in 2013.

16 minutes ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

I see KD leaving next year. Would lol if he went back home. 

I don't see KD leaving. I think he and Steph are there for the duration

Unless he has some weird fantasy of pulling a Lebron and going back to OKC for "unfinished business." This new generation is savvy like that in an astonishing way. They don't want to leave anyone dissatisfied.

Except Carmelo.

Carmelo just keeps getting paid.