Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Aaron Hernandez questioned, home searched in possible homicide probe

Son of Gadsden

One reported detail bothers me because it seems really implausible: neighbors heard gunshots at 3am but didn't report them to police. What's really weird about this is that the neighborhood where it happened is kind of "snooty" and I doubt anyone would take hearing gunshots at 3am on a Monday in stride. What gives?

One reported detail bothers me because it seems really implausible: neighbors heard gunshots at 3am but didn't report them to police. What's really weird about this is that the neighborhood where it happened is kind of "snooty" and I doubt anyone would take hearing gunshots at 3am on a Monday in stride. What gives?

I would guess they didn't report because they didn't know for sure if that's what it was.  More than likely, they were asleep and woke up to noise but it didn't continue so they either didn't think anything of it or thought maybe they just heard things?

My guess would be they didn't realize what they heard was gun shots until they found out about Hernandez.

WEEI radio just reported that the arrest warrant is waiting for a judge's signature, and also that when Hernandez went to Foxboro yesterday he was intending to work out, but the team asked him to leave.

Guess the team isn't standing behind their man, eh?  I'm sure we'll start hearing stories over the next several weeks about how much of a trouble maker he was, that the Pats never liked him, that they weren't interested in having him back regardless of the recent events, and that they all knew something like this would happen (assuming of course that it did happen).

If charged, what can the Pats do if he wants to play? Pay him not to? Simply cut him? Can the league suspend him for something he hasn't been proven guilty of? Especially when the league has done nothing about the Browns owner.

If charged, what can the Pats do if he wants to play? Pay him not to? Simply cut him? Can the league suspend him for something he hasn't been proven guilty of? Especially when the league has done nothing about the Browns owner.

It'll be interesting to see if he does end up not being able to play if any cap relief is granted to the Pats. He just signed a pretty big deal.

I don't see a scenario where any cap relief is given to the Pats. 

Agreed. And if they do, well, let's just say I see it getting pretty ugly with opposing team owners & fans.

Saw this on a Patsie's website:

"This being the NFL, the salary cap implications are where things get muddled.  When a player is suspended–either by the team or by the NFL–their base salary is off the books and does not count against the salary cap. This is because they are not an “active” player per the NFL. However, the rest of their money does continue to count against the cap. This other money includes the prorated portions of the signing bonuses, workout bonuses, roster bonuses, etc. Hernandez’s base salary in 2013 is $1. 323 million.  Factoring his prorated signing bonus from his contract extension signed in August 2012, his cap number this season is just north of $4 million. Basically, the base salaries were kept intact on his rookie deal that ran through 2013 and they team tacked on a 5 year extension with a $12.5 million signing bonus and $16.4 million guaranteed."

http://musketfire.com/2013/06/21/aaron-hernandez-future-salary-cap/

Most likely, if Hernandez is charged with murder, the Pats will just tell him to stay away and deal with the court case. He'll still count against their cap, but I don't think they have any real options. He'll be too much of a distraction.

I don't think there is any sort of reserved list they can put him on, and I don't think they can suspend him without just cause (innocent until proven guilty).

If Hernandez is charged, the Pats are really stuck here. Unless they just let him play until his trial starts.

Which seems unlikely.

Most likely, if Hernandez is charged with murder, the Pats will just tell him to stay away and deal with the court case. He'll still count against their cap, but I don't think they have any real options. He'll be too much of a distraction.

I don't think there is any sort of reserved list they can put him on, and I don't think they can suspend him without just cause (innocent until proven guilty).

If Hernandez is charged, the Pats are really stuck here. Unless they just let him play until his trial starts.

Which seems unlikely.

I would be shocked if the Patsies let him play or even be near the team if he's charged with obstruction & murder. The lawsuit in Florida should be enough to have Commissioner Gordon suspend him for the first 4 games. He's done that in the past (i.e., Rapelesberger) even without any legal conviction. But this is the Patsies. A team that got to keep a cheater as their head coach. But I digress.

To your point, I don't think there will be enough "just cause" to have the team suspend him. Which means they would have to keep him on their active roster or cut him. From the article I posted earlier, I think the Patsies face a $12.5 cap hit from the bonus money they owe him.

I kind of agree with you.  But, when I was young my cousin and I were playing in the front yard at 9 p.m.  We heard a gunshot as did other members of my family, but no one called the police.  My dad's best friend lived two doors down and committed suicide.  Nobody found out until a couple of hours later when his wife came home. 

Man, the Pats went from having one of the best TE corps in the league to... this.

Remember when one of our TEs got into a nightclub altercation with some ho a few years back and the whole silly thing ended up in a civil court proceeding?  Good times, man.  Good times.

We did not get relief when Sean Taylor was murdered

I don't think the Pats should get any relief. Will just be interesting to see what happens, after all the Pats are the Pats and the NFL loves them.
I'm sure they will though. There will be some unprecedented new rule that takes him off the books or when Griffin trots out for training camp they will charge the skins with violating the spirit of knee injuries and give the pats more space. This is Robert Kraft we are talking about here whom a few months ago said Goodell was the best commish of all time or something along those lines.

We did not get relief when Sean Taylor was murdered

I don't think the Pats should get any relief. Will just be interesting to see what happens, after all the Pats are the Pats and the NFL loves them.
I'm sure they will though. There will be some unprecedented new rule that takes him off the books or when Griffin trots out for training camp they will charge the skins with violating the spirit of knee injuries and give the pats more space. This is Robert Kraft we are talking about here whom a few months ago said Goodell was the best commish of all time or something along those lines.

Of course he loves Goodell. His team was found guilty of cheating, the league destroyed the evidence and handed out not salary cap penalties, but regular fines to the second wealthiest franchise in the NFL thanks to those 3 championships they cheated to win.

It'll be interesting to see if he does end up not being able to play if any cap relief is granted to the Pats. He just signed a pretty big deal.

Pats took a chance with Hernandez even though they know Hernandez had charater and association concern coming out of college and now it appears to have blown up on their face so noway Pats should get cap relief.

At worst they have him on obstruction and destroying evidence. If they can still pin the murder on him, that just compounds the issue.

Not many innocent people go to the lengths he did to destroy evidence - not very subtle.

He could be entirely innocent of murder and still have reasons to not want police to get their hands on his home security system and phone.  I agree that he certainly doesn't appear to be "innocent" but he could be guilty of an entirely different crimes.  If his home security system has video it could have shown the police all sorts of illegal activity taking place.  Same goes for a phone.  They are absolutely going to get him for something though based on the reports I've read and Goodell doesn't really care to wait for charges, let alone guilty verdicts, before handing out suspensions.  

Most likely, if Hernandez is charged with murder, the Pats will just tell him to stay away and deal with the court case. He'll still count against their cap, but I don't think they have any real options. He'll be too much of a distraction.

If Hernandez is charged, the Pats are really stuck here. Unless they just let him play until his trial starts.

Which seems unlikely.

I would be shocked if the Patsies let him play or even be near the team if he's charged with obstruction & murder. The lawsuit in Florida should be enough to have Commissioner Gordon suspend him for the first 4 games. He's done that in the past (i.e., Rapelesberger) even without any legal conviction. But this is the Patsies. A team that got to keep a cheater as their head coach. But I digress.

To your point, I don't think there will be enough "just cause" to have the team suspend him. Which means they would have to keep him on their active roster or cut him. From the article I posted earlier, I think the Patsies face a $12.5 cap hit from the bonus money they owe him.

Why wait for Commissioner Gordon to suspend him? Call in The Batman now to handle this. :)

Archived