Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Aaron Hernandez questioned, home searched in possible homicide probe

Son of Gadsden

Dan Weitzel wrote a spot-on column about Hernandez and the verdict:

FALL RIVER, Mass. – Lesa Strachan stands a little over 5-feet tall, wears her hair short and works as an area operations manager here in the small towns of southeastern Massachusetts. She is everyone. She is no one.

She is not, for sure, rich or famous or celebrated, like Aaron Hernandez, the NFL star turned murder defendant who was standing across a Bristol County courtroom from her Wednesday morning.

Lesa Strachan was the forewoman in Hernandez's murder case, personally selected by the judge because her intelligence and seriousness and leadership were easy to identify. As part of her job, Strachan had to rise up, look at Hernandez and read the verdict. She had to do something for perhaps the first time ever.

She had to hold Aaron Hernandez accountable for his actions.

"Guilty of murder in the first degree," Strachan said to the court.

Moments later, Hernandez was forced by a court officer to sit down, no longer afforded the right to stand like the presumed innocent. He was just another convict now, just another prisoner, just another punk … life without parole at age 25.

Lesa Strachan, slight of stature, dropped Aaron Hernandez like no linebacker ever could, called his bluff like no one else ever apparently would. She ended his pretend gangster life of guns and tattoos and pseudo-toughness and shipped him off to prison, shipped him off to Walpole, just around the corner from Gillette Stadium where they once cheered his name and handed him $40 million contracts.

. . .

He never had to be responsible for anything. He treated half his family like dirt, his friends like employees and his fiancée like a doormat.

One of the narratives of Hernandez that proved inaccurate in the face of three months of court testimony is that his hometown of Bristol, Conn., and the gangsters and criminals from it, dragged him down. None of that was true.

He wanted that life, coveted that life, embraced that silly life, where the slightest sign of disrespect meant blasting away. The people he was around, the "gang" if you will, were cheap criminals and small-town thugs – Fish, Charlie Boy, Alexander Bradley, he of the now one eye? They took their orders from Hernandez, glomming onto his NFL millions, not the other way around.

Hernandez wanted to be tough, or some warped definition of the term. He wasn't tough. He isn't tough. He could ink up all the "Blood Sweat Tears" he wanted across his body but he didn't know the meaning of tough.

Sucker punches and drive-by shootings and needing three guys and a Glock .45 to attack an unarmed landscaper in a deserted field in the middle of the night is the opposite of tough.

It's pathetic.

More:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/aaron-hernandez-finally-taken-down-by-a-5-foot-tall-operations-manager-223034962.html

Think about this... Aaron Hernandez will be spending the rest of his life at Massachusetts Correctional Institution - Cedar Junction at Walpole.  On autumn Sunday afternoons and Monday nights, if the wind is right, he might be able to hear the cheers at Gillette Stadium from his cell:

CCpNs-SVIAA14f_.jpg

It's like a modern ending to an O. Henry or Edgar Allen Poe short story.

Think about this... Aaron Hernandez will be spending the rest of his life at Massachusetts Correctional Institution - Cedar Junction at Walpole.  On autumn Sunday afternoons and Monday nights, if the wind is right, he might be able to hear the cheers at Gillette Stadium from his cell:

It's like a modern ending to an O. Henry or Edgar Allen Poe short story.

Folsom Prison Blues

I hear the train a comin'

It's rolling round the bend

And I ain't seen the sunshine since I don't know when,

I'm stuck in Folsom prison, and time keeps draggin' on

But that train keeps a rollin' on down to San Antone..

When I was just a baby my mama told me. Son,

Always be a good boy, don't ever play with guns.

But I shot a man in Reno just to watch him die

When I hear that whistle blowing, I hang my head and cry..

I bet there's rich folks eating in a fancy dining car

They're probably drinkin' coffee and smoking big cigars.

Well I know I had it coming, I know I can't be free

But those people keep a movin'

And that's what tortures me...

Well if they freed me from this prison,

If that railroad train was mine

I bet I'd move it on a little farther down the line

Far from Folsom prison, that's where I want to stay

And I'd let that lonesome whistle blow my blues away.....

She ended his pretend gangster life of guns and tattoos and pseudo-toughness and shipped him off to prison, shipped him off to Walpole, just around the corner from Gillette Stadium where they once cheered his name and handed him $40 million contracts.

What does having tattoos have anything to do with this? 

Not directed at you Dan

Think about this... Aaron Hernandez will be spending the rest of his life at Massachusetts Correctional Institution - Cedar Junction at Walpole.  On autumn Sunday afternoons and Monday nights, if the wind is right, he might be able to hear the cheers at Gillette Stadium from his cell.

I sure as hell hope so. Scum.

Is it possible the lawyer threw the case and gave grounds for appeal?

I can't figure out how such a highly paid lawyer (I assume he's highly paid...) would say, during closing arguments, that Hernandez was there when the state the trial is in doesn't care if you pulled the trigger or not.

There was nothing to gain. I can't figure out why he would do it.

Unless they knew the trial was going poorly and this way Hernandez can complain he had inadequate representation and get a retrial...

Is it possible the lawyer threw the case and gave grounds for appeal?

I can't figure out how such a highly paid lawyer (I assume he's highly paid...) would say, during closing arguments, that Hernandez was there when the state the trial is in doesn't care if you pulled the trigger or not.

There was nothing to gain. I can't figure out why he would do it.

Unless they knew the trial was going poorly and this way Hernandez can complain he had inadequate representation and get a retrial...

I wondered the same thing. Odd strategy, though the circumstantial evidence was so overwhelming maybe they figured that was their only shot.

What does having tattoos have anything to do with this?

Not directed at you Dan

As a heavily tattooed individual I asked myself the same question lol. I have never been arrested and actually do quite well for myself. But who cares, it's all good.

• 1 month later...

Folsom Prison Blues

I hear the train a comin'

It's rolling round the bend

And I ain't seen the sunshine since I don't know when,

I'm stuck in Folsom prison, and time keeps draggin' on

But that train keeps a rollin' on down to San Antone..

When I was just a baby my mama told me. Son,

Always be a good boy, don't ever play with guns.

But I shot a man in Reno just to watch him die

When I hear that whistle blowing, I hang my head and cry..

I bet there's rich folks eating in a fancy dining car

They're probably drinkin' coffee and smoking big cigars.

Well I know I had it coming, I know I can't be free

But those people keep a movin'

And that's what tortures me...

Well if they freed me from this prison,

If that railroad train was mine

I bet I'd move it on a little farther down the line

Far from Folsom prison, that's where I want to stay

And I'd let that lonesome whistle blow my blues away.....

Late to the party on this. Love this song. Think, what's the best hip hop song about prison? I'm not sure I can recall a single one, which is weird considering how much street life has controlled hip hop the last two-plus decades

Black Steel in The Hour of Chaos (Public Enemy)

The Tower (Ice-T)

Murder Was The Case (Snoop)

Behind Enemy Lines (Dead Prez)

Last Words (Nas)

Just off the top of my head

Mainstream "Hip hop" has been neutered. Now its  more hipster-ish type stuff

• 1 month later...

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/13180449/judge-rejects-aaron-hernandez-move-toss-murder-conviction

"Superior Court Judge Susan Garsh turned down a motion for a required finding of not guilty in the 2013 killing of Odin Lloyd. A jury convicted Hernandez in April. The motion was a procedural step that had to be taken before an appeal.

Garsh says in the decision released Wednesday that prosecutors proved their case beyond a reasonable doubt.

The first-degree murder conviction carries an automatic sentence of life in prison without parole.

Still pending is a separate request from Hernandez's lawyers to investigate an anonymous tip that a juror in the case might have been untruthful during jury selection."

Archived