Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)

Alaskins

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24553967/richard-sherman-nfl-wouldnt-have-banned-donald-sterling-for-life   Richard Sherman: NFL wouldn't have banned Donald Sterling for life

That punishment probably wouldn't have happened if Sterling was an NFL owner though, at least according to Richard Sherman. In an interview with Time, Sherman said that he doesn't believe Roger Goodell would've banned an NFL owner for life if a similiar incident had occurred in the NFL.

"No I don't [believe there would be a lifetime ban]. Because we have an NFL team called the Redskins," Sherman said. "I don't think the NFL really is as concerned as they show. The NFL is more of a bottom line league. If it doesn't effect their bottom line, they're not as concerned."

More at link

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24553967/richard-sherman-nfl-wouldnt-have-banned-donald-sterling-for-life   Richard Sherman: NFL wouldn't have banned Donald Sterling for life

More at link

And a dis from John McCain. Seems out of character for that conservative old stick.  

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24548522/sen-john-mccain-would-probably-change-redskins-name

And a dis from John McCain. Seems out of character for that conservative old stick.  

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24548522/sen-john-mccain-would-probably-change-redskins-name

from the article- 

"The discussion of the Redskins nickname isn't going away. Senator John McCain was asked about it on Friday and said he would "probably change" the mascot.

McCain appeared on the Dan Patrick Show Friday morning and was asked whether he would change the name. McCain said if he were Redskins owner Dan Snyder he'd want to start a dialogue with Native American leaders and find out how they feel.

"If they think it's that offensive and terrible, I would certainly -- probably -- I'm not the owner and he has the rights of an owner. But frankly I would probably change the name," McCain said. "Myself I'm not offended. You're not offended. But there are Native Americans who are."

McCain and Patrick got on the topic after McCain was asked about Donald Sterling and the Clippers. And though there are some connections, McCain doesn't see them as similar situations.

“I'm not sure I connect the two. But I do believe if I were [snyder] I would sit down with Native American leaders," McCain said. "I've been involved in Indian Affairs in a long, long time. We have a large Native American population in our state. I'd call the Native American leaders together and I'd sit down with them and say ‘What is it you want?' If I were him I'd have a dialogue." 

not only do i not have a problem with that, its what almost all of us have been saying for years. of course, no mention of dan snyder actually doing that already

but, when did accuracy and truth ever get in the way of a good article? 

The problem for Snyder is if he has a sitdown with Native American leaders and asks what they want to happen, they're probably going to ask him to change it.

Snyder doesn't want to do that, which means it's not likely that McCain's plan will actually happen.

well, the media has to get their jabs in, dont they.

from the article-

not only do i not have a problem with that, its what almost all of us have been saying for years. of course, no mention of dan snyder actually doing that already

but, when did accuracy and truth ever get in the way of a good article?

well, the media has to get their jabs in, dont they.

Snyder did just that, setting up the OAF. And was roasted for it-calling it a PR stunt.

That tells you all you need to know.

Wow. That has to be one of the most ridiculous arguments I've ever read. The name offends you only because others have simply brought it to light that it could be offensive so therefore, you're offended (I'm assuming, of course, that as you were growing up a Redskins fan & people weren't whining about the name, the thought never crossed your mind that the name could be offensive). Except, you're a Skins fan so you're not offended, or at least not enough to want to see the name changed, so therefore, you're not in favor of the name change. However, if you were not a fan of the team & thereby affecting you personally, you would totally be in favor of changing the name. But you're making an argument based on a dictionary definition about the name being a "slur" because you like to fight on the internet about the very team you support. You are incredibly double-minded.

That said, I am very much against the name change based on the fact that is largely not offensive to the people who matter the most. Acccording to everything I've read & heard myself, Native Americans themselves either couldn't care less or do not want the name to change. There are Native American schools that carry the moniker "Redskins" as there team mascot. Simple fact is, you can't please everyone. Some people are just going to have to live with the fact that they are offended. I am offended every day by the things I see & hear. Things on tv, things on the radio, things at work. If every time I was offended about something I cried about it, I wouldn't get anything done.

The other side of this is, where does it end? Let's say for the sake of the argument that the Redskins are forced to change their name. Who's next? Are atheists going to ask that the Saints change their name because they don't believe that a team should represent a religion? Are animal rights extremists going to demand that any team named after an animal be changed because they believe that a team named after animals supports or promotes hunting & poaching? I mean, where does it end? People don't think about things like this anymore. They want instant gratifiation right now without thinking about the future consequences. All that matters is right now. Change the name & we'll deal with the consequences of our actions later. It's ridiculous.

taking things to their (il)logical extreme asymptotic vanishing point is never an effective argument.

(unless you find this argument compelling:  "if the Redskins are allowed to keep their name then the NEXT team will be the Nottingham N**gers!!!   and nobody will be able to say a thing.....! "

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native_American_tribes_in_Virginia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Native_American_tribes_in_Maryland

In NoVa, the Algonquian tribe was the largest, & in Sterling, Va. there is acually a whole park, complete with the biggest swimming pool I've ever been to, named after them. For natives of the area, it's really not all that surprising for people to have NA roots.

There were a lot of Native American tribes in that area. The Potomac River is also named for a tribe, IIRC. One tribe in Va has offered Dan Snyder the same thing as the Seminoles in Fl to be adopted so they don't have to change the logo. If he is forced to hange the name, he can use the tribe name & no one can say anything about it.

You know what parts of America had a lot of Native American tribes at one point?

All of them.

You know what parts of America had a lot of Native American tribes at one point?

All of them.

All Dan Snyder's fault, if he hadn't forced Christopher Columbus to sail to the New World then no one ever would have and everyone would live in peace and harmony, and no wars would ever have happened.

I tracked this thread down just to say that Richard Sherman, who was already on the "25 to life" **** list with me, has officially been moved to "life without parole" **** list.

That man has all the talent in the world; it's just too bad he's a loudmouth jerk.

Also, I wish someone would tell John McCain and CBS that Snyder did exactly what they suggested.

And he got chewed out for it.  I guess Snyder just can't win.

This kinda stuff is why I go easy on Snyder, he deserves some of the flak he gets, but no where near the totality of what he gets.  The way people go after him, you'd think he had invented a time machine specifically to hand out smallpox blankets.

I tracked this thread down just to say that Richard Sherman, who was already on the "25 to life" **** list with me, has officially been moved to "life without parole" **** list.

That man has all the talent in the world; it's just too bad he's a loudmouth jerk.

Also, I wish someone would tell John McCain and CBS that Snyder did exactly what they suggested.

And he got chewed out for it.  I guess Snyder just can't win.

This kinda stuff is why I go easy on Snyder, he deserves some of the flak he gets, but no where near the totality of what he gets.  The way people go after him, you'd think he had invented a time machine specifically to hand out smallpox blankets.

I agree. I know the guy has made a multitude of errors, but it seems that no matter what he does in terms of trying to fix or learn from his mistakes, people automatically hate on him.

"Oh, he heard from the people & decided to start an Outreach for those suffering with [fill in the blank]? That selfish jerk! He's only doing it for his own personal gain & PR!"

"The Dan started an organization about Original Americans & reaching out & helping Native Americans? He was sleazy about it & only did it because he's tired of people making him look bad in the media!" :rolleyes:

It's actually so over the top & quite ridiculous just how much people hate him. Even Redskins fans. Sometimes especially Redskins fans. People need to take a step back & appreciate the positive things he does...& not question his intentions or his motives. Regardless of what we think of his intent, his actions should speak loud enough. But hey, people are going to hate & justify it with their own logic & no one can talk them down because they don't want to be talked down. They hold onto that hate like a woobie, a comfort blanket that keeps them warm on chilly nights.

Anyone listening to the Junkies this morning?

John Feinstein was on. When asked about the Goodell booing last night, he responded with a comment about how he wished it was over the Redskins name.

The Junkies response? Crickets. Lurch kind of muttered "uhhh." They immediately moved on like he said nothing. Great job, guys.

Then it shouldn't surprise you when people claim NA ancestors. :D

This reminds me of an old PJ O'Rourke article on South Africa during the apartheid era.

The world is built on discrimination of the most horrible kind. The problm with South Africans is they admit it. They don't say, like the French, "Algerians have a legal right to live in the sixteenth arrondissement, but they can't afford to." They don't say, like the Israelis, "Arabs have a legal right to live in West Jerusalem, but they're afraid to." They don't say, like the Americans, "Indians have a legal right to live in Ohio, but oops, we killed them all." The South Africans just say, "**** you." I believe it's right there in their constitution: "Article IV: **** you. We're bigots." We hate them for this. And we're going to hold indignant deomnstrations...until the South Africans learn to stand up and lie like white men.

Anyone listening to the Junkies this morning?

John Feinstein was on. When asked about the Goodell booing last night, he responded with a comment about how he wished it was over the Redskins name.

The Junkies response? Crickets. Lurch kind of muttered "uhhh." They immediately moved on like he said nothing. Great job, guys.

that guy has issues. seriously.

i think he sits in his basement at home looking into a mirror, seething, thinking about  new ways to trash people he hates like dan snyder and tiger woods. 

it cant be healthy.

i do like when lurch gets feisty with him- i definitely feel like lurch cant stand him.

We need to just change the name.  This is all becoming beyond annoying.  Let's do a re-brand.  Snyder will make tons of money off of a rebrand.  More jersey sales, more hats.

We all knew that Snyder would be likened to Sterling after that tape came out.  And Richard Sherman is RIGHT.  He's a jerk, and a loud mouthed, arrogant douche bag, but he's RIGHT.  As soon as the name starts to affect money, it will change.

I want to focus on football and be proud of our football team.  Keep the colors, keep the "R" logos.  Change the name and the mascot.  This isn't going away until it's changed.  So it doesn't matter if you are for or against it.  It will happen. 

I'm not saying I'm for or against, but in today's overly-sensitive society where freedom of speech is gone, and no one can say anything without being offended, our name that's been in place for 80 years is now too much for people to handle.  It's a frickin football team, and the logo and name are looked at by us with pride, but this is not going to ever go away.  The noise will get louder.

I say name the team the Washington Warthogs.  Like a Warthog fighter jet.  Then you can remember the old days by calling us the "Hogs" for short.  DC = Government = Military = Fighter Jets.

I'd be down with that.  Keep those colors, and let us watch football and not worry about offending all of the white media that claim to be offended.

No.

And I don't understand this obsession with a " military themed " team, just because we're Washington. I have a great - great grandfather who served in the Spanish - American war. My uncle died while stationed at Pearl Harbor. My grandfather served in WW II and Korea, and my stepfather who raised me, served in Vietnam in 1967 -1968, .... I respect the military, very much ..... and I absolutely, do not want a military themed name. I'm not interested in debating it, it's just my two cents.

And just to clarify on insinuations made by some in the media  and even one of our own, that this photo:

snyderherit-650x487-650x352.jpg

... may have been " staged " in some way.

The people in the picture are the people referenced here in Snyders letter:

One of my favorite fan moments took place in Gallup, NM – to the cheers of dozens of Washington Redskins fans. As Pueblo of Zuni Governor Arlen Quetawki noted, "We even had an unprompted welcoming party of Washington Redskins fans from Zuni and Navajo greet you when you departed from the airport!"

dq-redskins5.jpg

Washington Redskins owner Dan Snyder, second from left, poses with Lorenzo James, far left, from Blackhat, N.M. and two other fans Friday night at the Gallup Municipal Airport in Gallup.

dq-redskins10.jpg

Juan Garcia from Zuni, N.M. holds his autographed Washington Redskins ( helmet ) high up above him on Friday night at the Gallup Municipal Airport in Gallup.

The pictures were taken a few days before the Navajo Code Talkers appearance at the San Francisco game last year.

Hail to the Redskins

As short as 2 years ago i still thought this was a non issue.

The Washington Post, printing 92 some articles the offseason after the NFC East title, along with social media that now exists to propogate that article, has turned this into a full blown national political issue. I am convinced the name will be changed by the end of the decade, where was 2 years ago I lauged at that the thought of the name ever being changed

I agree; no to military themed names.

No offense to any vets, but we're just a little too obsessed with war and militarism.

I'll stick to my idea.. the Washington Burgundy and Gold.
We can use the Spear helmet design.

~Bang

I agree; no to military themed names.

No offense to any vets, but we're just a little too obsessed with war and militarism.

I'll stick to my idea.. the Washington Burgundy and Gold.

We can use the Spear helmet design.

~Bang

No to that name as well.  Why should we bow ignorance? A stand has to be taken to end a PC movement that has gone completely out of control.

Archived