Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)

Alaskins

We need to just change the name.  This is all becoming beyond annoying.  Let's do a re-brand.  Snyder will make tons of money off of a rebrand.  More jersey sales, more hats.

I want to focus on football and be proud of our football team.  Keep the colors, keep the "R" logos.  Change the name and the mascot.  This isn't going away until it's changed.  So it doesn't matter if you are for or against it.  It will happen. 

As short as 2 years ago i still thought this was a non issue.

The Washington Post, printing 92 some articles the offseason after the NFC East title, along with social media that now exists to propogate that article, has turned this into a full blown national political issue. I am convinced the name will be changed by the end of the decade, where was 2 years ago I lauged at that the thought of the name ever being changed

Agreed. It's over. 5 years max, but more realistically 3-4. It's now a national issue. There really is no stopping this train. It is going to get ugly and the NFL will drop the hammer.

I just want to move on. Keep the R logo and rebrand. I am worn out already and I can't imagine what is about to come in the next year.

Grow a backbone, tired of what? A yippy small minority? Add to that they also use incorrect history (also known as lies), and refuse to actually listen to the majority of Native Americans.

Does this mean I can be offended for anyone else and get their name changed? All it requires is a constantly annoying person to tire you out with bs.

Grow a backbone, tired of what? A yippy small minority? Add to that they also use incorrect history (also known as lies), and refuse to actually listen to the majority of Native Americans.

Does this mean I can be offended for anyone else and get their name changed? All it requires is a constantly annoying person to tire you out with bs.

The history doesn't matter. The national narrative has been set. It's really not going to change - it's only going to build. Don't blame me, blame Dan Snyder and years of incompetent PR strategy. He jumped on this issue years late and he is going to lose this battle.

Had the Redskins had a clear strategy and community outreach years ago to get in front of the story they would of had a chance. Everything he does now is reactionary and will be framed that way.

The history doesn't matter. The national narrative has been set. It's really not going to change - it's only going to build. Don't blame me, blame Dan Snyder and years of incompetent PR strategy. He jumped on this issue years late and he is going to lose this battle.

Had the Redskins had a clear strategy and community outreach years ago to get in front of the story they would of had a chance. Everything he does now is reactionary and will be framed that way.

It wouldn't have mattered then either. Harjo's original case was filed roughly seven years before Snyder bought the team. If Snyder should have done more; so should Cooke, and Edward Bennett Williams. I think one of the biggest differences is the amount of media we have now, compared to then, and as we know, Snyder being a preferred target by some in the media. It's become something like a fad.

There will be more things like the Navajo Code Talkers, etc. at the games coming in the next few years, not less. Will it make a difference with those who are set in their opinion of the name and Snyder ? Probably not. But, there are people that have gained respect for Snyder for sticking to his guns, and not just Redskins fans. It shouldn't be forgotten; " we " ( Redskins fans, and the general public ) are still in the majority opinion ... by far ... not  the other way around.

Here's an article from 12 years ago. It reads exactly like one that could have been written yesterday.

http://www.indianz.com/boardx/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=38465

But the debate over the Redskins' name knows no seasons; it has been with us for more than four decades and shows no sign of abating.

In the twitter and instagram era especially.

If in the summer of 1992 the Washington Post ran 90+ articles on the Redskins name (all of which were negative and pro changing the name) nobody outside of the Washington DC area would have noticed. A few here and there, but it would have been limitied.

With the UnWise Mike and Dave Zrin's of the world tweeting daily about the issue, hashtags such as #notmymascot, this thing is a media storm that will continue to grow over the next few years. As I said, 2 years ago I would have laughed at the thought of the name changing at all, but even now when people in other cities find out I am a fan of the team, the first question isn't about RG3 but about what I think of the name. And while I have incredibly sound arguments, nobody really cares and looks at me like I am a racist.

I really can't think of much Dan Snyder could have done to get out "in front" of the issue in the twitter era besides starting OAF in 2005 and really attempting to connect with the native American community back then. Besides that, it is now a losing issue with how quickly movements and protests can spawn online.

I propose the Washington "Redspears" now. Its silly, but hell most names are. Can go back to the 70s era logo/jersey's and can keep the lyrics the same, while removing any overt Native American reference.

Along with that, I would now call on all other organizations in North American pro sports to change their native American names. The Braves/Indians/Blackhawks should be jumping off this ledge with us

I am not in favor of changing the name. However, if it must be done, i'd prefer a name that flows in much the the same way as the current name does. So how about the Washington Ridgebacks

Ridgeback? Like, a dog?

Redmen flows even better. It's practically redskins. :)

It shows up a lot more frequently than that, maybe if you could tell me why none of those are offensive?  Can you say for sure that no one finds them offensive?  If you can support a name change for the Redskins because of a small minority, you don't like Dan Snyder, and really who cares about actual facts, then why can't you support a name change for these?  Would you just walk down the street and call some white guy Texan?

Ridgeback? Like, a dog?

Redmen flows even better. It's practically redskins. :)

Yea, the dog. I like the idea of a dog mascot but something other than a bulldog since thats common. And not Labs cuz thats UMBC. I like Ridgeback but we could always go with Washington Mastiffs, or Wolfhounds.

St. Johns used to be the Redmen but they had to change that so I don't think that would fly

Washington Redskins

flat,550x550,075,f.jpg

Red-Devil.jpg

artworks-000073079094-be60s0-original.jp

I've been beating this dead horse for a year now... but it'd stop the complainers dead in their tracks and that's the ONLY way they will give up. Obviously the above samples are suggestions and Dan would have to hire somebody to redesign the actual logo into something sinister/cool.

This bad standup comedy bit really needs to end. It shows up on this thread every 5 pages or so and is never not lame.

All I'd like is someone to explain why the Buffalo Bills is not the single most offensive name to any Native Group that there is

~Bang

Yea, the dog. I like the idea of a dog mascot but something other than a bulldog since thats common. And not Labs cuz thats UMBC. I like Ridgeback but we could always go with Washington Mastiffs, or Wolfhounds.

St. Johns used to be the Redmen but they had to change that so I don't think that would fly

I just want the name to mean something. I don't want a corny arena league name. When Baltimore rebranded with the Ravens, that name meant something. Maybe base it off some DC related theme.

All I'd like is someone to explain why the Buffalo Bills is not the single most offensive name to any Native Group that there is

~Bang

Or any of the team names that celebrate the policy of Manifest Destiny (Sooners, Cowboys, 49ers, Trailblazers, ect).

I was passing through Romney WVA on my way home from camping last week when I just HAD to stop to see the founder's resting place.

Appropriate that he's in 'Indian' Mound Cemetery.  :lol:

i-HvjhNhH-S.jpg

I was surprised to see he has such a low key headstone for a man of wealth and prominence. However, he does have a premium plot right by the entry gate, thus it was easy to spot. Most of the townsfolk probably have no clue of who or what he was, the grave doesn't appear to be visited often. 

i-Dm8Xj3W-S.jpg

Too bad GPM soiled his own legacy, otherwise he'd be regarded today in the same breath as the Halas's, Mara's, Rooney's etc. :angry:  Marshall was buddies with all of those legends and together they helped to make the league great. 

I was at the golf course the other day, wearing my Skins shirt, and talking with a few friends. There was about 10 of us. We were talking about Sterling and whatnot when my buddy turned to me pointed at my shirt and said 'that's racist.' Now, I have known this guy for 10 years, in fact, we have played in the same fantasy football league for that long. I always wear my Skins gear and he always introduces me as the biggest Redskin fan he knows. He has never once said anything to me about the name being racist.

So I ask him, what is racist about it. He said, 'those two words combined are racist.' So, I did the little stuff like, do you have a problem with calling someone black or white? All of us in there were either black or white. He said 'no', but the media has lead him to realize that the name Redskins is racist. So, I asked him why again and he said 'because it is.' All other people in there agreed that it wasn't racist.

So, I started going through the facts that have been stated many times in threads like these such as the Polls, the linguist tracing the name, Harjo etc., etc. It's been rehashed here several times. He actually sat there and listened to me and said 'I never heard any of that stuff.' He changed his mind about the name and admitted he was wrong for listening to the media.

I was pretty happy about changing his mind. He is a very bright guy. Way smarter than I am, and he was believing what the media led him to believe. This is just a small example of how the media have affected the minds of people with their smear campaign. It sucks that people, even very bright people, can be affected in this manner.

Of course, I am sure you have heard about Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwiches being racist by now haven't you? Where does this stuff end?

I was pretty happy about changing his mind. He is a very bright guy. Way smarter than I am, and he was believing what the media led him to believe. This is just a small example of how the media have affected the minds of people with their smear campaign. It sucks that people, even very bright people, can be affected in this manner.

Of course, I am sure you have heard about Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwiches being racist by now haven't you? Where does this stuff end?

interesting story.

i always kinda wonder how many otherwise normal, intelligent people are sucked into believing all the hype thats put out there?

its hard for me to imagine, because i'm the type of person to always look at things from another viewpoint- very skeptical. i want to the know that 'how' and 'why' of an issue (mostly to avoid looking like a dumbass :) )

unfortunately, i think your story is more common than i'd like to believe. good for you for knowing your stuff and telling him about it, though.

Did you show him a dictionary? I suggest you do NOT show him a dictionary.

i-Dm8Xj3W-S.jpg

Too bad GPM soiled his own legacy, otherwise he'd be regarded today in the same breath as the Halas's, Mara's, Rooney's etc. :angry:  Marshall was buddies with all of those legends and together they helped to make the league great. 

I thought he hated Halas.

I was passing through Romney WVA on my way home from camping last week when I just HAD to stop to see the founder's resting place.

Appropriate that he's in 'Indian' Mound Cemetery.  :lol:

i-HvjhNhH-S.jpg

I was surprised to see he has such a low key headstone for a man of wealth and prominence. However, he does have a premium plot right by the entry gate, thus it was easy to spot. Most of the townsfolk probably have no clue of who or what he was, the grave doesn't appear to be visited often. 

i-Dm8Xj3W-S.jpg

So you've spent this entire thread reminding everyone of GPM's racist history and how much of a stain it is, and you stopped off at his grave to pay your respects?

Why?

~Bang

Archived