Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)

Alaskins

I love the backlash those 50 senators are getting from people telling them to stop wasting their time on such BS.

Still waiting on evidence that shows majority of Native Americans are actually offended. If you're going to force a name change based on the offense of a small few, then Chiefs has to be changed and so does Buccaneers and Raiders since they are named after murderers, rapists, and thieves. NFL at least has to be aware that changing a name due to people complaining is only going to lead to more people complaining about other name changes. 

But screw it, I say if we change, let's stick it to them and go with the Red Devil idea. Keep the name, change the context entirely. Then our team logo is a devil and the PC crowd can revel in their fake victory of forcing a change on behalf of people that mostly don't support it, and enjoy that they disenfranchised MANY Native Americans who root for the team because of the name, and now instead of honoring Native Americans the team will have a devil on there. They want us to be the enemy so bad, they want to hate on Snyder so bad, let's embrace it. Washington Redskins with a devil logo. 

That being said, not sure exactly how the government is going to force a name change on us. Hardly any Republicans would support that. They could try and deny trademark, but the team brand has much more protection than just trademark. So the PC crowd backed by Dems can bark all they want, but it's hard to see how they are going to bite,especially when the majority of NAs and of all Americans do not support them.

If it gets bad, just change the logo to a peanut and problem solved. Let's see the PC idiots start speaking on behalf of offended legumes everywhere!  smh

I honestly don't know why we have fallen so far in this country as we have the last few years, but I am sick of it!

Yes, out of likes, nice letter socal, I will be writing Bill Nelson in the next day or so. 

If it gets bad, just change the logo to a peanut and problem solved. Let's see the PC idiots start speaking on behalf of offended legumes everywhere!  smh

I honestly don't know why we have fallen so far in this country as we have the last few years, but I am sick of it!

There was a book and forgive me but I have forgotten the title that discussed the fall of Rome. It simply stated that any empire that has more lawyers than engineers has already begun to decline. 

The VA senators didn't sign it, so I can continue liking them.

The one reason I don't mind the time the Senators spending on this is because I guarantee at least half of them didn't spend more than 10 seconds on it.  I bet none of them have even read Ives Goddard's paper on the origin of the term.

Yes, out of likes, nice letter socal, I will be writing Bill Nelson in the next day or so. 

There was a book and forgive me but I have forgotten the title that discussed the fall of Rome. It simply stated that any empire that has more lawyers than engineers has already begun to decline. 

Yeah, that is true. I heard a speaker once who talked about the ratio of lawyers to engineers, and that the numbers reversed in the late 70s. I always believed that America's best days were ahead of her, but I am increasingly believing of late that we are in steep decline. I'm apparently not alone, because the rest of the world is already taking advantage of our demise. Not that this directly has anything to do with the Redskins, or changing/not changing the name ..

The VA senators didn't sign it, so I can continue liking them.

The one reason I don't mind the time the Senators spending on this is because I guarantee at least half of them didn't spend more than 10 seconds on it.  I bet none of them have even read Ives Goddard's paper on the origin of the term.

Regardless, they put their names to paper.

This is exactly what I think should happen, if for no other reason than total spite.

You find the nickname so offensive? Fine, no name. Now no one gets offended.

This is basically my " last resort " option also. Snyder should never change the name. No one should take this as my opinion on the name, changing. It hasn't.

This is hypothetical at this point, but, it does bring up some possible interesting scenarios:

Almost all of the fans would still, of course, call the team the Redskins.

How would the media handle it ? Because you know that most of them ( that have had no problem with using the name all this time ) in doing games, highlight shows, reports, etc. would still call us the Redskins, either on purpose, or sometimes maybe " by accident " ( it would be a hard habit to break especially with the same logo, and no new name to use in it's place ) , and then let the others in the media that have been clamoring for a name change, go after them. They would then be put in the position of defending themselves and the Redskins name. Let them battle it out amongst themselves. 

The ones that have been calling for a name change, couldn't really call for it anymore.

What name? .... Washington ? ;)

I understand that the people leading the charge for name-change would continue with a " change the logo " campaign, but I'm not sure that would be met with the same amount of seriousness by some, as it is with the name...... but in general, more like exasperation, and it would be extremely hard to show that the logo itself, is in some way, wrong.

Hail to the Redskins

Regardless, they put their names to paper.

Oh yeah, they're definitely still on the poop list, it's just that I don't think criticizing them for doing this instead of something else is legit because they likely didn't spend any actual time on this, and thus they didn't lose any time they could have been doing other things but not doing those things during.

I may be really tired and that sentence might not make sense, but you get my point.

As I've said before, personally, I don't really care.  The name doesn't offend me, I'm white.  I've heard the word used as a slur in Montana.   The racism I observed towards Indians was brutal.  Very common.  I understand why the issue is what it is.

What I don't understand is how people can't see the difference between Seminole, Indians, Chiefs and Redskins.  No comparison.  If there was a "Redskin" tribe, then so be it.

What I think is comical is to see so many non Indians (Native Americans) stating that the name is NOT a slur or racist or a put down.  Of course it's not to you.  

I do not think in anyway that when the team was named Redskins, that there was any intention for there to be a negative connotation.  However, the name change is coming.  Its going to happen.  Personally, (and this is not the right way to think on my part), but I can't Snyder so in a way, I'm rooting for the NFL to force him to change it, just out of spite.  Again, sorry, not fair to the fans of the team, but I just don't like the guy.

What I don't understand is how people can't see the difference between Seminole, Indians, Chiefs and Redskins. No comparison. If there was a "Redskin" tribe, then so be it.

What I think is comical is to see so many non Indians (Native Americans) stating that the name is NOT a slur or racist or a put down. Of course it's not to you.

Nor is it, to 90% of Native Americans. According to the only time anybody has ever bothered to actually ask them.

Just imagine the precedent this will set if the gov't forces the Skins to change the name...

PETA and possibly, the gay community, will continue their crusade to change the Packers name...

Atheists will go after the NO Saints and LA Angels...

Fighting Irish will be gone too...

Sad that as a nation this is what we've come to.

Larry

Any poll can be made to cater to whomever.

The whole thing is a sign of our PC times, which sucks, but, at the same time, I get it.  In my time in Montana, I saw racism as I had never seen before. I've never seen racism towards blacks or hispanics even comparable to that.  I can only speak from my experience.

The N word isn't offensive to me. Yet I can see how it would be to blacks.  I've seen the word Redskins used in the same way.

As I've said before, personally, I don't really care.  The name doesn't offend me, I'm white.  I've heard the word used as a slur in Montana.   The racism I observed towards Indians was brutal.  Very common.  I understand why the issue is what it is.

What I don't understand is how people can't see the difference between Seminole, Indians, Chiefs and Redskins.  No comparison.  If there was a "Redskin" tribe, then so be it.

What I think is comical is to see so many non Indians (Native Americans) stating that the name is NOT a slur or racist or a put down.  Of course it's not to you.  

I do not think in anyway that when the team was named Redskins, that there was any intention for there to be a negative connotation.  However, the name change is coming.  Its going to happen.  Personally, (and this is not the right way to think on my part), but I can't Snyder so in a way, I'm rooting for the NFL to force him to change it, just out of spite.  Again, sorry, not fair to the fans of the team, but I just don't like the guy.

Then where are the outraged masses of Native Americans pushing this? I talked to three tribes and several NA's when able in different parts of the country, not one said it was an issue for them, they like the fact that they have a national stage. 

Larry

The whole thing is a sign of our PC times, which sucks, but, at the same time, I get it.  In my time in Montana, I saw racism as I had never seen before. I've never seen racism towards blacks or hispanics even comparable to that.  I can only speak from my experience.

The N word isn't offensive to me. Yet I can see how it would be to blacks.  I've seen the word Redskins used in the same way.

I hate to call bull****, but yeah I am calling bull****. You never saw racism like that before, what a sheltered life, how old are you? When I was growing up Blacks and Whites went after each other for no other reason then being a different color, just stupid. I seriously doubt you're integrity from here on out. 

Larry

Any facts can be ignored by a wave of the hand and a wish.

I hate to call bull****, but yeah I am calling bull****. You never saw racism like that before, what a sheltered life, how old are you? When I was growing up Blacks and Whites went after each other for no other reason then being a different color, just stupid. I seriously doubt you're integrity from here on out.

For example, there are people out there who think that they actually have the power, from their lofty perch, (which they apparently obtained strictly based on seniority), to tell you that things which you have personally witnessed, do not exist.

Then where are the outraged masses of Native Americans pushing this? I talked to three tribes and several NA's when able in different parts of the country, not one said it was an issue for them, they like the fact that they have a national stage.

I live in SE va, Hampton to be specific and I've lived here all my life. I don't see white on black racism very often. I'm a teacher. The HS where I teach is 70% black. We have little to no race issues. Sorry that you think I'm not being truthful, hold on while I shed a tear over your opinion of me on the internet...

I'm not sure what makes me more sad. Non Native Americans who are uninformed, but just following the crowd, trying to get the name changed or our own fans who have been life-long fans, just giving up/in and lobbying for a name change.

Been a fan for almost 40 years. I never want to see the name changed and will always call them the Redskins.

I have two Redskins hats facing out the rear window of my car, and wear our team gear all the time. People may comment on the team, but I have yet to have anyone say one single word to me about a name change.

It hasn't happened once. Even the most left-wing dude I know (former Greenpeace employee, lol, who is a Steelers fan), won't go there.

In a city this big, with lots of folks being loud-mouthed uneducated idiots, I never hear a peep.

add: our motto is "the city to busy to hate" or something like that, sooo...

I wrote my 2 Sentors a letter. Here it is:

Senator Feinstein/Boxer:

I am appalled to see your signature on the letter to the NFL requesting the Washington Redskins change their name...

You surely must be aware of the unifying force that the Redskins bring to the District of Columbia and surrounding area. Regardless of race, political affiliation, economic status and age, the Redskins have been a source of pride and unification for the area. Moreover, given the number of Americans who attend school, internships and are employed for a period of time in Washington DC prior to relocating throughout the United States, their support of the Redskins carries with them. There are very large groups of Redskins fans who are residents of California, including myself and my family....

Best regards and Hail to the Redskins!

That bolded part, it embodies a big piece of what  this team is about. On Sundays, it don't matter your class, race, party, etc. Man we're all cheering for the same team and the same goal. Love that post man, and Hail to The Redskins!!!

standing-ovation.gif

Larry

They were hanging Native Americans in Montana? Dragging them down a road, tied to a truck? 

Confused about the comparison.

I need further depth and explanation to your actual point with that response.

He said he's never seen racism on against Blacks or Hispanics on the scale of what happens in Montana to Native Americans. I find that a bit absurd, considering in my lifetime I've seen news reports of those very things happened against African Americans. Now maybe he was speaking strictly from what his own eyes have seen, but even then, that's placing a very limited view of what has occurred in this country in our lifetimes. 

Oh geez. Seen meaning witnessed.

How was that confusing ?

I've seen/witnessed more black on black crime than any other. I've read about and saw reports of plenty of school shooting...never actually saw one.

I've seen news about tons of crazy stuff. I lived in Boston during 9/11..I was never a witness to that crazy stuff.

Archived