Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)

Alaskins

If you change the name, you have to do an entire re-boot of the brand. Trying to maintain any type of Native American theme or color scheme just strikes of desperation. That is my new thought

Complete re-boot. Build a "Washington Redskins football legacy" museum or something.

Change the name, change the overall theme, change the colors to red/white/blue to match the rest of the teams in DC, and lets roll with the Washington Legends. 

If you change the name, you have to do an entire re-boot of the brand. Trying to maintain any type of Native American theme or color scheme just strikes of desperation. That is my new thought

Complete re-boot. Build a "Washington Redskins football legacy" museum or something.

Change the name, change the overall theme, change the colors to red/white/blue to match the rest of the teams in DC, and lets roll with the Washington Legends. 

you're fired

If you change the colors, you become an expansion team. I don't hink you can do that unless you are a team like the Cleveland Cavaliers and have no history to exploit or market (even though the Cavs have a remarkable number of retired jerseys. Seriously, google that and be amazed. They have 6. The Lakers have 7).

Next time the Redskins decide to move they need to move to VA. The two MD senators signed the letter and they need to face the consequences for doing that.

The change the name position is becoming politically partisan so the opposition will start to grow just because many Democrats that currently oppose the name change will start changing their position because of their political team's position. Regardless the change absolutely should never happen as the PC movement must be checked somewhere as it is a threat not only to the Redskins but a threat to freedom within this country.

Next time the Redskins decide to move they need to move to VA. The two MD senators signed the letter they need to face the consequences for doing that.

Why would we want to save the State of Maryland several million dollars in highway improvements? If you really want to stick it to a local government, move a sports franchise there.

If you change the colors, you become an expansion team. I don't hink you can do that unless you are a team like the Cleveland Cavaliers and have no history to exploit or market (even though the Cavs have a remarkable number of retired jerseys. Seriously, google that and be amazed. They have 6. The Lakers have 7).

The words to Hail to the Redskins have been changed before.

If you are changing the name, essentially it is an expansion team to many people. That is why I say you just go full re-boot rather then clinging to the native american theme

It's going to change. They are going to win. Either Snyder changes it willingly or he will be made to change it in the next few years. Just change it and let's get back to football. If I'm Snyder, and I'm beginning to be mentioned in the same sentence as Donald Sterling, I gotta start thinking about it.

The words to Hail to the Redskins have been changed before.

If you are changing the name, essentially it is an expansion team to many people. That is why I say you just go full re-boot rather then clinging to the native american theme

I just wrote a fantastic joke that would surely get me banned for life. Tis a pity.

If the name changes, the song probably goes too. You really can't edit a song TWICE to get rid of all the weird racial stuff in it. You get one shot at that.

Screw it. Change everything. I want ZERO ties to Native Americans when this is all said and done. Harjo and Halbritter can pay for the backlash later on down the line. There are NA who love the name and the imagery and these two clowns making this all about themselves can answer the questions. I've never understood why they speak for all natives anyway?

God help us all, but Florio makes a decent point:

Only if you maintain that "well, as long as one person says it's offensive, then that means there's a controversy, and therefore, that one person should win" is "a decent point".

The league and team are no longer trying to argue that it is not a slur.

Uh, somehow, I disagree with you. 

(And, last time anybody bothered to check, so did 90% of Native Americans.) 

Forget Congress for now. The next milestone in this movement will be when a team sponsor "pulls out". I don't know when it will happen, but that day is coming.

I put "pulls out" in quotes bc this controversy could become a convenient escape pod. Lets say sponsor X wants some good PR for doing the 'right thing' by being the pioneer who walks first. The short term benefits of sponsor X getting their name in lights could have more of a long term benefit than staying with the team as an advertiser. Meanwhile, sponsor X might be in the final year of their contract with the team, and had planned to not renew anyway. This scenario could be a double win for sponsor X, and yet another big PR hit for Ashburn.

Point I'm trying to make is that I doubt the first (name related) sponsor divorce will be due solely to sponsor X wanting to pioneer in the 'retire the name' movement. Eventually this will become a can't lose scenario for someone currently paying the team, who wishes to do so no longer.

For people who watch Mad Men, I'm thinking of Draper's decision to pull away from tobacco adverting in the mid 1960s, despite there still being major $ in the tobacco business with virtually full societal support. Draper was seeking a short term PR gain. Of course we know today that tobacco advertising still had decade$ of profitable life to live, which they didn't know at the time. The same could be true for the Redskins name. If you don't watch Mad Men, forget this paragraph. 

It's going to change. They are going to win. Either Snyder changes it willingly or he will be made to change it in the next few years. Just change it and let's get back to football. If I'm Snyder, and I'm beginning to be mentioned in the same sentence as Donald Sterling, I gotta start thinking about it.

No a stand has to be taken. This is a clear cut example of the PC movement completely out of control and running roughshod over what the vast majority think and the truth of the matter. We should not allow ignorance to win.

If the name must change then they should go with Washington Football Club. Keep the colors, keep the logo, keep the song. The fans know what the real name is. They could market a whole bunch of DCFC gear for people who want to buy new stuff. I have no interest in rooting for a team with a new name, new logo and new colors. 

God help us all, but Florio makes a decent point:

The league and team are no longer trying to argue that it is not a slur. They are arguing that it is not intended as a slur, but that seeing it as a slur is a reasonable interpretation.

"The Washington Redskins name has thus from its origin represented a positive meaning distinct from any disparagement that could be viewed in some other context,"

I think the team and the league have always argued that the name is not a slur, but the word could be used as one.

“Now is the time for the NFL to act,” the legislators wrote. “The Washington, D.C. football team is on the wrong side of history. What message does it send to punish slurs against African Americans while endorsing slurs against Native Americans?”

The message it sends is that one is a slur, and the name of the team; is not.

There was no new rule enacted.

“As we mentioned earlier, we have the current rule — unsportsmanlike conduct — Rule 12, Section

3,” Fisher said. “It states that, ‘Using abusive, threatening or insulting language, or gestures to opponents, teammates, officials or representatives of the league is unsportsmanlike conduct.’

Or, in other words context will be taken into account.

Except ( in some peoples eyes, including these senators ) , not for the Redskins name .... No, can't do that.

I don't get why some of our fans would want the colors to change when the Native theme retires. I haven't heard any objections from anywhere about the burgundy and gold color scheme. Trying to create a color scheme is more difficult than a name or theme.

Unfortunately, the only reason they were actually even willing to give you the chance to explain things to them, was because they were friends of yours.

For every person who will comment on it, and then allow you to explain things, there are probably hundreds (thousands?) who simply look at your shirt, think "racist", but don't say a word. (And wouldn't allow you to explain, if they did.)

The media is probably convincing people that it's racist at a rate of thousands of people a day.

You do not have the power to change people's minds at that rate.

Nope. That (perception) is a neverending tidal wave

it is entirely reasonable to believe the historical facts outlined by people that love the Redskins name and history are true (that there was no intended racism, and that in the past nobody was offended by the name) and still think that the name should be changed because the current view of the name is less benign.

It is irritating that people are increasingly offended by the name specifically BECAUSE a tiny minority has been pushing the issue so hard that their view that the name is offensive has spread.  But the fact that it is irritating doesn't change the facts on the ground that more people are now offended.   (we have no idea HOW MANY more, and thats a problem, but to deny that more people are offended by the name now than in the 50s or 70s, is being purposely obtuse).  

If i were the skins owner, i would change the name sooner, rather than later-- and do so by decree --- BEFORE the momentum builds any more.   At this point he could probably keep the native american imagery, if he just dropped the name and a little tweaking here and there (some of the fight song---- that part wil lmake me more sad then the name!)   

The only thing that I like (conceptually) about your idea is all the teams in a city having the same color scheme. However, given that this is a Redskin town and the Skins are the longest tenured team, I think the other area teams should adhere to them. 

In this case, I wouldn't be fond of a red, white, and blue color scheme. If it had ALWAYS been that way, fine. But we have 80 years of wearing burgundy and gold and I can't think of why you'd change that if the name changes. 

Screw it. Change everything. I want ZERO ties to Native Americans when this is all said and done. Harjo and Halbritter can pay for the backlash later on down the line. There are NA who love the name and the imagery and these two clowns making this all about themselves can answer the questions. I've never understood why they speak for all natives anyway?

They have money and political influence. Nothing more.

Pretty much

Imagine if, God forbid, this team is actually successful and makes a deep playoff run, or a Superbowl run in the next 3 years, and the team is still the Washington Redskins.

What will be the talk of Superbowl week? 

Archived