Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)

Alaskins

I still say that red men is by far the greatest alternative name.

I think the red men organization is a great example of how our American society has revered Native American culture, unfortunately it would not take any heat off because the real issue with Harjo et al is appropriation of NA culture, also the IORM did not allow NAs to be members.  An impressive list of former presidents were members for an organization that is almost unknown now.  I had never heard of it until I visited the Hagerstown museum.

I swear, in spite of his past mistakes, I like this guy just a little bit more every day.

I would like to see him run with the charity big time, do collections at games, etc.  I would also like to see him back off on the over the top photo ops with NAs supporting the team in Redskins gear.  Just have them in their regular clothes.  Some of it looks too staged.

I think the red men organization is a great example of how our American society has revered Native American culture, unfortunately it would not take any heat off because the real issue with Harjo et al is appropriation of NA culture, also the IORM did not allow NAs to be members.

Extremists like her won't approve, but, at that point, she would finally be exposed for the nut that she is. Granted, some would try to make the "slur" argument, but I don't think it would hold water.

I think most who oppose it either don't like Snyder, think the name "sounds" racist, or are misinformed about the name.

I think "red men" would satisfy those issues. To reasonable folks, anyway.

What's the deal with no Native American members? Is that the old policy, or a current one?

I would like to see him run with the charity big time, do collections at games, etc.  I would also like to see him back off on the over the top photo ops with NAs supporting the team in Redskins gear.  Just have them in their regular clothes.  Some of it looks too staged.

Absolutely agree on the first part, and there definitely should be a presence on gameday, but I don't really remember seeing a lot of photo's with Snyder and Native Americans in Redskins gear. Maybe there are some from the Redskins Rally's ...  I don't know. I don't think we know exactly how the picture for the OAF came about, and that's the only one I've seen tied to that, but the idea of them in their " regular clothes, ... I can see that.

There are only two instances I am speaking of, the OAF rollout and the MNF Navajo Code talkers event. 

http://www.thewire.com/national/2013/11/washington-redskins-honor-navajo-code-talkers/355519/

Looking at the pic now it does not strike me as staged as it appeared on TV at the time. It is a nice gesture to give fans team gear, but agin it can appear a bit staged when everyone is wearing the same jacket.

I think Snyder is right that there are bigger problems facing Native Americans, and I think his charity is a great idea. I agree with those who would like to see Snyder do more on this front.

As to whether or not Snyder established this charity for the right reasons, I doubt it. It smells like a PR stunt. Still a PR stunt that injects money into needy communities is not so bad.

Cynicism with no point is always such a lovely attitude. Just griping for the sake of it.

there are not a lot of pics of Snyder with fans, but they definitely exist,, a quick google search shows them. And videos too, like his appearance in a Denver Redskins bar last year before the Broncos game. He and his wife both showed up unannounced and partied with fans.

But hey..  given that nearly every single thing written about him since he's been in the NFL is severely negative and peppered with comments about how much every fan hates him, do you think maybe there's a reason why he doesn't hang out with Joe Lunchbox more often?

~Bang

I agree with Larry that part of the issue is people don't like Dan Snyder, and because of that people will try to spin whatever words that come out of his mouth into a negative light.  

I don't think he sounded dictatorial at all with his latest comments.  I think he has taken a firm stance, something he has every right to do.  They have done their homework.  He put in the time to go the extra mile in actually visiting Natives on their turf.  I think he's right...it is for the large majority of everyone, not just Natives, a non-issue.  Helping Native Americans with their real problems should be far more pressing and important.  Even if you assume the worst, that this foundation was predominantly created for good public relations....does it really matter?  If good things come out of it for the Native people, then great, that's a wonderful thing.  

Native's were overwhelmingly in support of the name even before the foundation, according to all scientific data available.  According to testimonials sent to the team.  This thing has gotten as hot as it's ever going to get.  The other side has nothing new to bring to the table.  Some people will always be against the name...I get that, and they won't stop...I get that also, but I don't see anything at this point shifting Native opinion to the number that will be required for a change, or the public at large for that matter.   

On First Take right now, Ryan Clark is on with Stephen A. Smith and Skip Bayless discussing the name.  They are basically teaming up on Clark telling him how racist our name is.  Clark is trying to be neutral on the subject.  I'm pretty sick and tired of these media bleeding hearts trying to paint Ray Halbritter as a Martin Luther King like figure.  Smith and Bayless are doing their best to get Clark to say the Redskins are racists.  So far he hasn't taken the bait. 

But hey..  given that nearly every single thing written about him since he's been in the NFL is severely negative and peppered with comments about how much every fan hates him, do you think maybe there's a reason why he doesn't hang out with Joe Lunchbox more often?

I think there's a reason that so many negative things have been written about him. Make no mistake, Snyder is the dragon that must be slain if we are ever to return to glory. Unfortunately, every coach or executive who comes here thinking they can do just that is burned alive. The dragon is undefeated.

On First Take right now, Ryan Clark is on with Stephen A. Smith and Skip Bayless discussing the name.  They are basically teaming up on Clark telling him how racist our name is.  Clark is trying to be neutral on the subject.  I'm pretty sick and tired of these media bleeding hearts trying to paint Ray Halbritter as a Martin Luther King like figure.  Smith and Bayless are doing their best to get Clark to say the Redskins are racists.  So far he hasn't taken the bait. 

Skip Bayless is such a tool. He just said he's gonna say the word Redskins for the last time. Now when they start talking about the Redskins tomorrow (the 2014 schedule), I bet you he says the word Redskins without blinking an eye.

Standard answer for any team member when asked about the name... 

"the name has nothing to do with the game, and that is what I am here to talk about."

or risk our FO deciding that it is not in the best interest of our football team to be continually distracted by harangues / questions abouy parts of the organization they have no control over, and cutting out interviews altogether.

Bellichek them into the boards.

~Bang

interesting. 

i thought stephen a smith had come to understand that many native americans support the name? i dont watch the show, so i'm not sure what he's said since then about it, but i remember thinking 'thank God a media talking head is actually at least looking into this issue'.

interesting. 

i thought stephen a smith had come to understand that many native americans support the name? i dont watch the show, so i'm not sure what he's said since then about it, but i remember thinking 'thank God a media talking head is actually at least looking into this issue'.

I guess Smith flip flopped on the subject.  Smith was against it, then okay with it, to now against it again.  I remember a few months ago Smith said something like "hey, there are Native Amercians who apparently find pride in the name.  Who are we as non-Native Americans to say what is or isn't offensive?"

Skip Bayless is such a tool. He just said he's gonna say the word Redskins for the last time. Now when they start talking about the Redskins tomorrow (the 2014 schedule), I bet you he says the word Redskins without blinking an eye.

Pretty sure he said that a couple of years ago too, it's Skip Bayless, the only thing he cares is that he gets his face time.

Stephen A flip flopped? Lol...No Way.

Lol, all i could think of when you said this was the Sugarhill Gang song Rapper's Delight, I said a flip a flop flippie to the flippie, the flip, flip a flop, and you don't stop

I really wish people would stop attempting to ambush players on the name issue. Its lame as hell. If I were Clark I'd tell them to take the issue up with their higher-ups, who had no problem scheduling the racist Redskins name on primetime television, making money off of them.

And I've said it time and again, here, and in various other threads discussing the issue, the best way to handle an issue where you want your opinion to be heard fairly, its best to go about it with a diplomatic approach. No snark, no overly dismissive tone. All it does is strengthen the "Other sides" resolve, and give them more ammo to use against you. All this is going to do is fuel more of the "See, he is a racist asshole" nonsense, fair or not. Thats the way things work when it comes to perception/public opinion

Archived