Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)

Alaskins

6 minutes ago, abdcskins said:

I really can't see that happening. People can wear what they want. As someone stated earlier, the First Amendment gives people the right to wear whatever they want. 

I’m no Constitutional scholar but not sure the 1st applies.  There are enforceable dress codes for private businesses.

Just now, stoshuaj said:

I’m no Constitutional scholar but not sure this applies considering there are enforceable dress codes for private businesses.

You may be right, I'm no scholar either. I just have a really hard time envisioning stadium staff stopping fans at the gate who are wearing Redskins gear and preventing them from entering the stadium. Do you know how chaotic that would be? Fans who purchased a ticket and who won't be able to enter the stadium if they are wearing a Redskins hat or jersey unless they take it off? They would lose more fans than they already have. Fed Ex is already half empty anyway. I can't see it happening, but who knows.

4 minutes ago, abdcskins said:

You may be right, I'm no scholar either. I just have a really hard time envisioning stadium staff stopping fans at the gate who are wearing Redskins gear and preventing them from entering the stadium. Do you know how chaotic that would be? Fans who purchased a ticket and who won't be able to enter the stadium if they are wearing a Redskins hat or jersey unless they take it off? They would lose more fans than they already have. Fed Ex is already half empty anyway. I can't see it happening, but who knows.

I would agree w this as well.  It would be a mess.  It already is, some parts of this thread being exhibit A.

w that being said, Gooooo TEAM!

40 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Probably about the same optimism as when Shanahan was hired. Maybe even less considering Shanny won Super Bowls before he came here. Even less considering how Shanny worked out. Really, there isn’t anything to make me think this WONT work out as terribly as the last time we had a top tier coach here, or the time before that (Gibbs) is the time before that (Schottenhimer).

Basically, I expect a dumpster fire before it’s all over in 2-3 seasons.

I'd say the roster is in MUCH better shape than when Shanny took over.

~Bang

42 minutes ago, Bang said:

I'd say the roster is in MUCH better shape than when Shanny took over.

~Bang

There’s lots of unproven youth on the current roster. I THINK we have a stud in McLaurin. The defense is yet to be determined and the rest of the offense is yet to be determined (save AP, but realistically how much longer can he go?).

Theres plenty of boom potential, but similarly there is bust potential as well.

5 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Rivera’s interview yesterday suggests a 16-18 month process effectively meaning we will have this name through the 2021 season too.

At that point, just keep it as is. Just call us Washington and keep the color scheme (or update it to make it look a bit more snazzy like with darker burgundy and gold that pops).

1 hour ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Rivera’s interview yesterday suggests a 16-18 month process effectively meaning we will have this name through the 2021 season too.

I doubt it. He referenced a “12, 16, 18 month long process” which to me just sounded like he a range of estimates people had been saying you need to do it right. Once Snyder retains a group to spearhead this effort, my assumption is the directive will be to spare no expense to have it ready to go by this time next year. 

2 hours ago, stoshuaj said:

I’m no Constitutional scholar but not sure the 1st applies.  There are enforceable dress codes for private businesses.

Yeah, I don’t know if freedom of speech applies or not but I also doubt the team will actively discourage Redskins stuff at the stadium since they actually don’t think there’s anything wrong with it and they are essentially acting under protest. 

That said, in these times, I think the folks who do wear Redskins gear to the stadium will be categorized las time deaf at the least and like the southerners clinging to their confederate statues at worst. And that will be a bad look for the fan base. 

i just checked.  My Jacoby and ST21 jerseys don’t have the team name on them anywhere.  I’d be fine wearing either to the stadium. (Though I haven’t for years because I find the way the team has played its almost insulting to the players to wear their jerseys to watch that epic **** show of a franchise on the field.) 

On 7/24/2020 at 11:30 AM, Mr. Sinister said:

And frankly, if I said something I didn't think was offensive, but still noticed that it was bothering someone, I would still happily oblige them (albeit temporarily), just because a situation like that isn't really that big of a deal to me.

That's my take too.  I told the wife the other day, that if I was out watching a game in the future, wearing my Redskins hat and throwback jersey, and a Native American came up to me and told me that it was offensive to them, then I'd acknowledge that, take 'em off and go toss them in my car. 

Now if some random white guy did the same, I'm probably telling them to **** off.  Unless they are 7'9" tall............

I plan to buy new gear when it's available (as long as the new name/mascot is cool and nothing dumb).  Along with new stuff for the man cave.  Life moves on, people need to accept that and do the same.  

They need to incorporate the past into the present and future.

Since 2020 is a temporpary name, you need some merchandise that brings in the past.    Our past history is available as temporary name merchandise.

I'd even do that once a the permanent name is chosen.  Now, obviously they probably won't sell say Art Monk merchandise under the new name but you can sell Art Monk merchandise under the temp name.   Actually, that will probably be the best way to remember the past.   Since Redskins is retired; sell the Redskins era related stuff under the general temp Washington Football Team.  

On 7/23/2020 at 9:51 PM, Califan007 said:

I remember asking several years back that if the name did get changed, would that mean that wearing a Redskins jersey would be seen as a racist act. I got ridiculed by some for thinking it could ever be seen as one.

After reading just the last page of this thread, I wanted to quote myself again lol...

And for the record, people can wear their Skins jersey underneath another shirt and then just take off the shirt if they want to. No one is gonna go through the stands throughout the game looking for Redskins gear, and they're not gonna insist on fans lifting their shirts to check and make sure a Skins shirt isn't hiding beneath it, especially female fans lol...

EDIT: Site is acting up--"Submit" button doesn't clear the reply text box so harder to tell that your post was submitted.

I am an old expat of the DMV. I am also a 3rd Gen fan trying to raise the 4th which is tough especially since we live in Cowboys country. I agree with the name change its time. Regardless of intent, NA imagery is a relic in 2020.

However, this team and dear memories are my only tie to The DMV. A full on rebrand and I likely fade into the ether of time. I have no tie to the D.C. expansion team and after 20 years of Snyder misery, that is what a full rebrand will be. To me, color change equals full rebrand. With premise I can probably tolerate Redwolves in Burgundy and Gold especially with some of the recent mock-ups. I think Redwolves is the bare minimum that at least feels like it is the evolution of the same franchise. 

I orginally wanted something Hog related using some cool boar style imagery. I know I am in a very small minority there. However, now my number 1 is the temp name or a tweek to Washington Football Club. I have seen some clean mock-ups online and as I have thought about it, it is unique and perfect for an old and unique franchise. This franchise has a proud and unique history in the NFL, regardless of the last 20 years. We can acknowledge that the mascot is a relic of its time and that we can do better. However, the soul of the franchise is not the name and mascot, the soul is the feats, legends, and fans.

TheWashington Football team is a team of NFL titles and SBs, a team of Legends and HOFs, a team of the "best bloody fans in football" as JKC said. 

THE Washington Football Team, est. 1932: No Mascot Necessary 

Hail to Washington,

Hail Victory, 

Bruisers on the Gridiron,

Fight for Old DC.

• Jumbo locked and unpinned this topic

Archived