Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Guys I need recommendations on the next TV series I should start watching.

stoney26

3% (Netflix original series) - it's a Brazilian TV show that is set in the future where the world is divided between destruction/poverty and the lucky that get to go to the off-shore where it is supposed to be like a paradise.  At age 20 (think that's it) the people stuck inland get a chance to apply to be tested, where they only take 3% of applicants and move them offshore.  They have an option of using subtitles or English dub over.  It's kind of like Hunger Games, but not a competition to the death.  They are run through a gauntlet of various tests and observed.  I enjoyed it, only 8 episodes, but season 2 was confirmed.

Goliath (Amazon Prime original series) - started watching this over the weekend and am loving it.  It stars Billy Bob Thornton who was a big time corporate lawyer reduced to an alcoholic ambulance chaser spending the majority of his time in bars.  Some stuff goes down and he has a chance to take a case and go against his old firm whom he had a falling out with.  Lots of crazy **** happens after he takes the case, cover-ups, etc.  Really enjoying it and hope it gets another season.

The Guild (Netflix) - created by Felicia Day who also stars in it.  It was a web series than ran for 6 years, 6 seasons, but each season is only an hour or so, been out a while (2007-2013).  It's about a woman (Felicia Day) who is a mmorpg gaming addict, that is unemployed but spends all her time gaming with her guild, mic'd up, etc.  Day based the series on her real life personal addiction to World of Warcraft.  The guild is 5 members from various backgrounds like you would really run into playing WoW or some other mmorpg.  One guy is over 40 years old, single, unemployed living in the house his grandfather willed him, one is a stay at home mom with 3 kids, one is a high school/college kid, one is a hot chick that uses people, one guy is the creepy hacker guy.  

One day, the hacker guy randomly shows up at the main characters house trying to start a relationship with her (based on her flirting with him in game chat).  Then she gets the guild to meet up in person to try and help her get rid of the guy and then it's about their adventures from there.  Sounds incredibly geeky, it is, but I found it pretty funny and loved the stereotypical portrayal of the various gamer types (imagining what people were like in real life if you were playing a game with them but had never met them).   It's funny because when I used to game hardcore on the PC and would be in guilds, there were always at least one cool chick in there, one single/stay at home mom, college/high school aged kids, etc.  

Glitch (Netflix original series) - need to finish this one up.  It's about a small town, where a policeman is called to the local cemetery one night after six people have risen from the dead, in perfect health, with no memories.  The policeman and local doctor recognize one of them and keep it covered up trying to figure out what happened, etc.  

Edited by Dont Taze Me Bro
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Both Glitch and 3% interested me when I was looking for the next series to start..thanks Taze. 

Still have to watch the Marvel shows..I suspect I should start with Daredevil first right?

No problemo man.  For 3% I chose the English voice over, so it wasn't the actors real voices.  I was watching it while gaming on the PS4 so I didn't want to bother with reading subtitles.  Of course, that probably brought down the quality a bit.  If you don't mind reading subtitles I'd suggest watching it with those.  

Glitch is interesting.  And start with Daredevil first.  I still haven't watched Jessica Jones or Luke Cage yet, probably will hold off because I read that season 2 for both won't be until 2018.  Next year we get Iron Fist, Punisher and The Defenders.  Daredevil season 3 is 2018 too from what I've read.  

27 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Did y'all watch the British murder show (The Fall) with Scully in it?  

Not yet, I added it to my queue a while back, haven't gotten around to watching it yet.  Any good?

• Like 1

I'm sure you all have mentioned it, but I watched Quarry (Cinemax) from start to finish a few weeks back.  Never heard of the show, but I was blown away.  It's gripping tv, fun concept, with an AMAZING finale.  I can't give too much away, but if you're going to binge watch something, give it a try. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

And start with Daredevil first.  I still haven't watched Jessica Jones or Luke Cage yet, probably will hold off because I read that season 2 for both won't be until 2018.  Next year we get Iron Fist, Punisher and The Defenders.  Daredevil season 3 is 2018 too from what I've read.  

The Defenders is going to be combined show of Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, Iron Fist and now Punisher. So you might want to watch Jessica Jones and Luke Cage before Defenders or even Iron Fist comes out.

Good list above. I have Glitch in the queue and was wondering about 3%. Chewing Gum is pretty funny as well.

• Like 1

I started watching West World (it's pretty good) but then discovered Drunk History on Comedy Central and that is currently at the head of the class.

If you havent seen it, they find someone that is knowledgeable about a history topic, get that person rip roaring drunk and have them splain what happened.  Then they get actors to act out the drunken explanation. Lin Manuel Miranda, because he must be involved in all things Alexander Hamilton, did the one about, you guessed it, Alexander Hamilton.  It's pretty hilarious, here is a short clip.  

• Like 2

If you like witches, I recommend WGN's Salem.  Sadly, the show will end after Season 3 final 4 shows airs in January.

You may want to catch up on SyFy's Magicians- Season 1. Season 2 premieres around Jan. 25.

ABC's Designated Survivor is excellent. Just had their midseason finale and it won't be back until March.

Spoiler

For Those who have been Designated Survivor; don't you think they have made it too easy for Mcclesh to be President?  The conspiracy goals seems to be happen very quickly; assuming Kirkman was the one who was shot.  

52 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

If you like witches, I recommend WGN's Salem.  Sadly, the show will end after Season 3 final 4 shows airs in January.

You may want to catch up on SyFy's Magicians- Season 1. Season 2 premieres around Jan. 25.

ABC's Designated Survivor is excellent. Just had their midseason finale and it won't be back until March.

Reveal hidden contents

Magicians was really enjoyable.

Designated Survivor quickly became the one show I'd actually try to watch live instead waiting until it finished recording. 

Spoiler

The sniper's aim was thrown off & I'm betting it was his wife that took the bullet because of it.

Also binged Shameless on Showtime. Effing awesome show. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TK said:

Also binged Shameless on Showtime. Effing awesome show. 

Welcome aboard. :)  William H. Macy is so good in it.  

Just binge watched season 1 of Showtime's The Affair.  Holy crap it's so good.   Dominic West from The Wire and Ruth Wilson's sexy mouthed ass.  

I love the story telling.   The hour long show is broken up into two segments, each one shows teo different perspectives of the same situation from different characters.  Wife and I simply cannot stop watching

• Like 1

11 hours ago, youngchew said:

Just binge watched season 1 of Showtime's The Affair.  Holy crap it's so good.   Dominic West from The Wire and Ruth Wilson's sexy mouthed ass.  

I love the story telling.   The hour long show is broken up into two segments, each one shows teo different perspectives of the same situation from different characters.  Wife and I simply cannot stop watching

Season 2 is great too.  That show is gets even more intense.

• Like 1

I've been watching "Lethal Weapon" (Fox) It's pretty good so far.. Nothing ground breaking, but a decent story and some over the top action.. Damon Wayans plays a conservative cop coming off a heart attack, paired with a crazy/cowboy (Clayne Crawford) getting over the loss of his family.. They play off each other and do detective type stuff, usually needing super human stunts to pull it off. But it's funny and entertaining.. Again, nothing special, imo, but in the "fall lull" it's filling the void..

17 hours ago, TK said:

Magicians was really enjoyable.

There is some serious eye candy in that show. I didn't read the books, but I've heard they differ quite a bit from the show. Can't wait for season 2 and more Fillory shenanigans. 

Also..I heard about (last week) a new show that showed up on Netflix today. It's called the OA. Early reviews are promising.

The series centers on Prairie Johnson, a woman who resurfaces after having been missing for seven years. Blind when she disappeared, she now has her eyesight restored.[5]

Edited by The Evil Genius