Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Guys I need recommendations on the next TV series I should start watching.

stoney26

Wife and I are hooked on "The Offer" which I think is a Paramount show but it's streaming on Amazon.  

It's about the making of The Godfather.  Miles Teller is in it, it's really good so far.  Talks about the making of it from a few different angles, the Italians, Frank Sinatra and Mafia guys who didn't want it made, Mario Puzo and his angle, how the producer came to be and his story as well as the movie executives.  These storylines are starting to converge.  

1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Wife and I are hooked on "The Offer" which I think is a Paramount show but it's streaming on Amazon.  

It's about the making of The Godfather.  Miles Teller is in it, it's really good so far.  Talks about the making of it from a few different angles, the Italians, Frank Sinatra and Mafia guys who didn't want it made, Mario Puzo and his angle, how the producer came to be and his story as well as the movie executives.  These storylines are starting to converge.  

Miles Teller = Shia LaBeouf

Dont enable these douche bags.

• 2 weeks later...

Final 2 episodes of Stranger Things 4 dropped Friday. Episode 8 is 1.5 hours and episode 9 is 2.5 hours. 

they are fantastic. I love when stories feel planned from the beginning rather than made us as you go. Something like Harry Potter and how they brought the deathly hallows/elder wand stuff from the earlier books into the finale. Stranger Things feels that way now with the story coming full circle and having a central antagonist that has been behind it all and it checks out. They filled every gap and answered every question in a satisfying way. Consequences are real and the stakes are now higher than ever. These episodes were an action packed and emotional sendoff, putting the pieces in place for one final season

what a ride. Perfect uses of music throughout too. That creativity of the show is impressive. They always come up with clever ideas that are fun and fit the show so well, like the metal concert in the upside down. Good pacing imo even if the Russian stuff was my least favorite aspect, it was still entertaining and had a worthwhile payoff . The amount of heart they pack into this show from the very beginning is insane and that’s what makes it special to me. 

can’t wait for the final season 

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man
  • Like 2

Westworld is back, and so am I.

Not what I was expecting, and that's why I believe it's further ahead in the damage that's been done in the background then some of the good guys realize yet.

This sci-fi show has my curiosity in a way that it will be hard to F it up, but it's not impossible...😶

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Final 2 episodes of Stranger Things 4 dropped Friday. Episode 8 is 1.5 hours and episode 9 is 2.5 hours. 

they are fantastic. I love when stories feel planned from the beginning rather than made us as you go. Something like Harry Potter and how they brought the deathly hallows/elder wand stuff from the earlier books into the finale. Stranger Things feels that way now with the story coming full circle and having a central antagonist that has been behind it all and it checks out. They filled every gap and answered every question in a satisfying way. Consequences are real and the stakes are now higher than ever. These episodes were an action packed and emotional sendoff, putting the pieces in place for one final season

what a ride. Perfect uses of music throughout too. That creativity of the show is impressive. They always come up with clever ideas that are fun and fit the show so well, like the metal concert in the upside down. Good pacing imo even if the Russian stuff was my least favorite aspect, it was still entertaining and had a worthwhile payoff . The amount of heart they pack into this show from the very beginning is insane and that’s what makes it special to me. 

Season 4 was by far the best season since 1.

My only gripe with the final episode was it felt like I was watching the last Lord of the Rings movie.  It went on way too long and could have been like the same length as episode 8.  I still liked it but god damn, end already.

• Like 1

Over the 4th of July weekend, I binged "The Bear" on Hulu.  It stars jeremy Allen White (Lip Gallagher). Its about a rising star chef in the culinary world, who inherits his brothers restaurant in Chicago, after his brother commits suicide.  It has both funny and serious moments and chaos. I'm a sucker for Chef shows, but it is worth the watch. It's only the first season, but season two was given the green light.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

On 7/4/2022 at 9:16 PM, TheDoyler23 said:

The 1 and 2 songs on iTunes right now are Kate Bush’s Running Up That Hill and Metallica’s Master of Puppets because of being used in Stranger Things. I haven’t watched the show but that is pretty funny! 

Kate Bush has apparently made $2.3 million just in streams since the song was used a month ago in Stranger Things. 

• Like 1

On 7/3/2022 at 4:53 PM, Momma There Goes That Man said:

You know, I can't tell you how much I loved ST 1. I literally couldn't wait to watch the next episode and I binged two or three at a time. That said, season two was OK and after that, it's kind of been downhill. Don't get me wrong, it's not to the point of it being bad, it's just a bit predictable and contrived at this point.

Spoiler

So, for example, the changing of Eleven's personality from kick-ass superhero to timid teen just wasn't believable, even with her losing her powers and the uncertainty around her relationship with bowl cut mullet guy (as opposed to weepy, bowl cut without a mullet dude who's obviously "secretly" in love with her). Also, it was pretty clear that Munson was going to sacrifice himself and that basketball speechmaker dude was going to get killed by Vecna. Finally, what's the deal with their powers? With the rare exception, it seems telekinesis-driven throwing of people across rooms and other similar feats is pretty much it.

Anywho, I'm not trying to totally crap on the show. It's still watchable and in fairness to them, there were a few twists I didn't expect and the scene with Dustin and Munson's Dad was touching. However, even accounting for the inevitable loss of novelty with sequels, it just feels like it could still be so much more.

On 7/4/2022 at 12:43 AM, purbeast said:

Season 4 was by far the best season since 1.

My only gripe with the final episode was it felt like I was watching the last Lord of the Rings movie.  It went on way too long and could have been like the same length as episode 8.  I still liked it but god damn, end already.

I'll continue to watch one more season of ST, but if they find a way to extend it after that, I'm out. As with Dear White People, it's really sad when the creators of a great show don't know when it's time to just pack it in, or more likely, decide to take the money just to keep it going.

2 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

i just started the boys a week ago and finished season 1. Loved it. You’ll know probably 10-15 minutes in if it’s for you 

I actually thought the first episodes were kinda slow comparatively. Things have just been getting better every season/episode. I love waiting for every episode wondering how the writers are going to shock me for what gets on TV. 😂

And the running commentary on MAGA and Fox News is hilarious.

3 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Finished Stranger Things.  ****ing awesome all the way through.  

A buddy of mine has talked me into trying The Boys but I'm hearing good things about Terminal List and I'm not sure which to watch first.  

I can vouch for The Boys. Probably one of the most fun shows on TV ever.

Edited by Die Hard
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Yohan said:

But @Momma There Goes That Manspecifically referenced the first 10-15 minutes for a reason.

Yes, I know the scene. But I thought that was a one off…. like a lot of shows start their first show with something dramatic (the hook). And the next few shows about Hughie were slow. I can’t recall the exact scene/episode when the crazy dropped… but now I expect it and they haven’t fail to deliver. Maybe when Starlight met The Deep for the first time?! 

Except that musical/dance number with Kimiko and Frenchie…. I hate when shows do that.

Edited by Die Hard
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1