Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Guys I need recommendations on the next TV series I should start watching.

stoney26

I am reading the Expanse series, and then I saw the tv series.  So I started watching it, and it is good.  I like how they handle gravity and its lack in many of the scenes.  The plot line is well done.  Like most things though, I like the book better.  Note, I will keep watching it and reading it.  I am on book 4 of the books.  It looks like the series may only go through book 1, at least for the first season.  I have no idea if there are more seasons in the works.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, gbear said:

I am reading the Expanse series, and then I saw the tv series.  So I started watching it, and it is good.  I like how they handle gravity and its lack in many of the scenes.  The plot line is well done.  Like most things though, I like the book better.  Note, I will keep watching it and reading it.  I am on book 4 of the books.  It looks like the series may only go through book 1, at least for the first season.  I have no idea if there are more seasons in the works.

Im not really a sci-fi fan… neither is my wife. But we loved The Expanse. One of those shows you’re sad to finish it. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

The Fall Guy.

I'm a sucker for '80s TV shows and this is one of the best.  Lee Majors is a stunt double who works as a bounty hunter on the side.  By 2020s standards, it's terrible but it's still fun.  

Heather Thomas is still amazing.  

Yes the good ol days. :)

Add T.J. Hooker to that list too for the other hot Heather. 

9 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

I liked Rings of Power. It’s well acted and the story is exciting and engaging so far. 

and it has to be said, this is the best looking tv show I’ve ever seen by a mile. Every scene and shot is visually stunning. Wow 

I thought it was decent and episode 2 was better than 1.  I will continue to watch.  Main chick is a badass.  I don't think I could tell you one person's name though after both episodes lol.

I personally don't think it looks that great.  I mean maybe it's the style they are going for, but it is almost a blended cgi/reality thing going on.  It's so obvious that most scenes are filmed on a green screen, then a lot of the other scenes clearly look like sets to me.  Like stuff doesn't look natural and looks "too clean" if that makes any sense. 

Even all of the hobbits and their little town looks "planted" and the hobbits look like they are "too" dirty/grimy to the point it just looks overdone.  Like they are so grimy looking that it is obvious they were made up to be that way.  Same with that bartender, just a bit too much IMO.  It's almost like they are exaggerating all of this stuff.  But I don't know if it was unintentional or it's just the style of the show. 

I prefer the more authentic/nitty gritty look and style of Game of Thrones in this type of world.  This one is definitely more vibrant and colorful though.

The Patient, on FX/Hulu.  Steve Carell is a therapist who gets assaulted and kidnapped by a serial killer (Domhnall Gleezy) and wakes up chained to a bed in a basement.  Killer wants therapy with Carell to stop killing people. 

It's kind of a suspense thriller and I'm really liking it so far.  Carell is a really funny guy but I love him in serious roles like this.

• Like 1

On 9/2/2022 at 7:44 AM, purbeast said:

I thought it was decent and episode 2 was better than 1.  I will continue to watch.  Main chick is a badass.  I don't think I could tell you one person's name though after both episodes lol.

I like it a lot so far. Have you seen the Lord Of The Rings movies?  Cause some of the characters are the same people.  Also the Elven smith is in the Shadow of Mordor and Shadow of War.

3 minutes ago, visionary said:

I like it a lot so far. Have you seen the Lord Of The Rings movies?  Cause some of the characters are the same people.  Also the Elven smith is in the Shadow of Mordor and Shadow of War.

Yes I've seen them.  The show is supposed to be thousands of years before the movies so other than Sauron, I'm not sure what other character is supposed to be the same lol.

1 minute ago, visionary said:

Galadriel and Elrond are two of the main characters.  

Honestly don't even remember those names from the LOTR movies lol.  Only remember Legalos. 

Being thousands of years before though, it doesn't even really matter if they are the same characters.  All I know is she could beat the **** out of Michael Phelps in the olympics.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, visionary said:

Spoiler

I did not know the elven smith was in those games. He’s my top candidate for secret Sauron with his desire to build the forges and that he just looks really creepy and a weird vibe to him. Guess it must be someone else then 

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man

14 hours ago, visionary said:

I was unaware about the Elven smith, thanks!

So far I am enjoying this.  It’s beautifully shot and stunning. 

• Like 1

On 9/4/2022 at 12:13 AM, Chew said:

The Patient, on FX/Hulu.  Steve Carell is a therapist who gets assaulted and kidnapped by a serial killer (Domhnall Gleezy) and wakes up chained to a bed in a basement.  Killer wants therapy with Carell to stop killing people. 

It's kind of a suspense thriller and I'm really liking it so far.  Carell is a really funny guy but I love him in serious roles like this.

Do you know if this is supposed to be a limited series?

On 9/5/2022 at 8:05 AM, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Do you know if this is supposed to be a limited series?

10 episodes total, released weekly.  Ep 3 dropped yesterday.   

It's a slow burn type of show, but the tension is building.  Gleeson does subtle crazy really well.  

• Like 1

For Rings of Power, I'm still in a holding pattern for deciding whether I "like" it or not. I don't hate it yet, but I was sort of expecting to after how far off the rails the Halo, Foundation, and Wheel of Time (going off of family member's review, haven't watched it personally) have been. I'm kind of sketchy on Galadriel being an action hero character, but it's been a few years since I read Silmarillion and the other pieced together stories that Tolkein made. Either way, the story is developing slowly but it also got a lot of ground to cover, so I can't blame it for taking its time. I'm feeling cautiously optimistic.

I'm kind of hung up on Celebrimbor though. I don't know why, but every time I look at his face, I think of the Illusive Man from Mass Effect.

b05b7780-206a-11ed-ae27-874395f11741_450FZlXc2w.jpg

On 8/31/2022 at 12:20 PM, gbear said:

I'm late to this post, but season 1 is book 1. From then on, each season generally covers 2 books. The final season covered only 1 book though iirc.

Edited by NickyJ
  • Thanks 1