Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

After this remarkable turnaround, do you want Haslett back now?

NIKKI8

I like the idea of stability and consistency. I am not sure if you can fire him after this year. The defense was supposed to carry this team. Then the cap penalty and injuries really limited the defense. I think he gets a pass this year. If the defense doesn't improve next year, I think he will be gone.

I said in the fire haslett thread that the only good that could possibly come from firing him midseason was that there would he no chance for him to do just enough the rest of the year to keep his job and unfortunately it looks like that's what's happened.

He has done a few good things with very little to work with and he probably deserves a shot with a few more pieces and a healthier defense but I just don't like his schemes.

He's got a pretty good linebacking corp, a good defensive line, and above average cornerbacks with an obvious weakness at safety. We should have been able to do better with this lot.

^^This

The way I see it, if it was strictly a question of talent or injuries, there's nothing he could have done in the second halves, right? But I watch the games and see us getting smoked early, toughening up later in games. That to me is coaching, yes he gets a cookie for halftime adjustments but where was all that brilliance in the first half? There just doesn't seem to be a lot of defensive gameplanning or anticipation, Has needs to get pummelled a bit to figure out where to block the punches?

I'm not too fussed - his play calling has been pretty good - its been execution letting us down. Too often there's been mistakes in the secondary. Perhaps he should have adjusted play calling to allow for our weak secondary, but the variety of blitzes has really impressed me. If he is fired, who do you bring in? Raheem Morris to help keep continuity, or appoint from elsewhere. I think Haslett is in the top third of options at DC, so unless something clearly better presents itself, i say we stick with Haslett and give him some picks to work with!

Thought I read he and Shanny weren't on the same page, like his stubborness for in-game adjustments earlier in the year. Think that did come from an LL tweet. I certainly remember the rumors where Morris had supposedly taken over play calling and the constant frustration on Fletcher's face from what looked like a lack of confidence in play calling.

I would like to see a change. I keep dreaming of seasons to come where we have a defense back in the top 10 and this team cruises to wins with our potent offense.

I suspect as someone said above, has a lot to do with who's available and if it'll be an upgrade. I personally would look at Ron Rivera if he gets fired. He's run a 3-4 or 4-3 depending on personnel and knows both schemes very well.

Funny how a 6 game winning streak can change the minds of so many.

You all should be ashamed of yourselves..lol. just kidding.

Look, facts are that Haslet hasn't really done that much; remember earlier in the season, players were BEGGING him to make changes and certain adjustments, and only AFTER falling to a 3-6 record did he begin doing this. Players were on the verge of abandoning ship with him; they may be for all we really know.

Also, consider this; against Dallas, Cleveland, and a couple other teams, the offense was the main reason, putting up alot of points, which forces opponents to play catch-up, giving up the running game. Where were the great adjustments during the Dallas game in the 2nd half? yea, that.

The majority of the problems are at the safety position, we, and every other team knows this, and does their best to attack it. Evidently Haslet hasn't gotten through Mayday's thick shell to get his issues corrected, and this is a reflection of his abilities.

If there's no other coach available who has promise in being a DC, then he may as well stay, but bottom line is its moreso the offense doing the defensive work than Haslet, and if this team wants to get better in the offseason changes have to be made.

SIC

I think the turnaround is owed in part to Haslett and the defense. Excluding the Cowboys game when we were up 28-6 at the half, the most points we've allowed in the 2nd half during out 6 game win streak was last week to the Eagles with 10. That's pretty damn impressive, especially with the amount of injuries we've had on defense.

Would this be one of those 'winning cures all' B/S things folk always through up?

No. This run doesn't change the fact he's a career average, very uninventive DC. I will grant him a lack of quality personnel, and until we get a dominating 34 NT, and at least 3 new players at the back end any coordinator would struggle to turn this into a top echelon D. But I don't want Haslett to be the one to ruin that when it happens.

New DC. New STC. And if Kyle get's offered the right job, then good luck to him and a new OC. But I honestly don't think that will alter things much now the system is firmly in place so long as his father is here.

Hail.

I wouldn't mind him going because even in the best of times, I think he's an average to below average DC with a rep that's not really deserved. However, having said that, the talent level on defense is fairly average, so I'm not shocked that we get average defense in the front seven where the best talent is, and below average in the secondary where he's having to piece it together with spare parts and guys that would be backups on a good team. I think Haz gets the results that the talent level dictates.

When you don't have a lot of talent on D, you work with what you have. He's gotten our defense to overachieve during this win streak. If this is the intensity our D is going to bring from now on, then getting Orakpo back and more talent in the secondary is going to equal a top 10 defense next year. They are making adjustments, moving players up and down to create confusion, tackling much better, and creating more turnovers. He did enough to get himself fired before the bye, I feel he's done enough to make me think twice about starting over on that side of the ball again.

Archived