Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

After this remarkable turnaround, do you want Haslett back now?

NIKKI8

Do you really forget this defense sucked to close out the last 8 games of 2011 while healthy..?

Do you realize that 3 of these 6 games have been played vs Nick Foles and Brandon Weeden? Two QBS that rank near the bottom of the league?

Six games of film on the Browns offense showed you they were not explosive and used drags and slants over and over again.. Not difficult to plan against.

The Defense combined a horrible half of football with a good second half against the Giants, a team they have played well against the past few years. Ironically the defenses best game over the poor 8 game stretch last season was vs the NY Giants.

The Baltimore Ravens dominated play in the first half then fell apart in the second. They fired their Offensive Coordinator the next day..

Dallas I like the way the D played until the second half.. Yes we had a big lead but everyone knows our lack of pressure combined with zone coverage is a weakness.. Ironic since we are suppose to be a zone blitz based defense.

You can make the case that the Redskins could be 12-3 or 11-4 right now with a better DC.

Why did it take 7 games for him to make changes players and fans were asking for? No excuses for that imo.

Crennel has how much talent on that kc defense and he's ranked below the skins on football outsiders.

True. I don't think it will be him, hell I'm pretty sure he asked for the job in 2010 and was declined. My ill-worded point was more that the new D-coord will have 3-4 experience, whoever he may be.

I respect the opinion of several folks on here who insist that Haslett is a horrible DC and the defense had three years to improve but hasn't despite the 6 game winning streak. But Haslett has worked with a defense missing 4-6 starters all season and relatively weak depth at some positions. Missing both safeties all year created a huge problem from the getgo, and the loss of Orakpo and Carriker for most of the season neutralized the front 7 pass rush. I'm not so sure other DCs could have done much better. By that argument, Kyle and Mike Shanahan should have been fired last year. Add an elite QB and everyone on offense looks better, as does K&M. The Skins have some quality players on D, but no stud defender that scares the opposing team. Haslett has schemed hard to avoid the weaknesses in defensive personnel. It's hard to hide that all game long let alone over six games.

IF Danny Smith has not been fired by now, I have a hard time believing Jim Haslett will be fired by Mike Shanahan at the end of the year. And neither Crennel nor Rivera generate much enthusiasm from me. Neither have had very good defenses since they left their original teams that gave them their reputation. And those teams had some very fine players that made the defense work. Bottom line, the players are more important than the coaching in the NFL. However, selecting the RIGHT players for your defense or offense is a critical component to success. Not convinced the Redskins have the right players to succeed on defense.

As Kyle has shown, you're only as good as your players....

Kyle's very underrated by Redskin fans. Kyle's pretty good, with or without players, I don't think RG3's making him. He's making him better, but Kyle's legit in his own right. Let's remember, he scraped together a 16th ranked defense with a questionable line play, 3 different starting running backs, Jabar Gaffney as the leading receiver, and Rex Grossman and John Beck at QB most of all. That's pretty impressive, in my estimation. I think Kyle's better at coaching offense than Haz is at coaching defense.

---------- Post added December-26th-2012 at 10:38 AM ----------

I respect the opinion of several folks on here who insist that Haslett is a horrible DC and the defense had three years to improve but hasn't despite the 6 game winning streak. But Haslett has worked with a defense missing 4-6 starters all season and relatively weak depth at some positions. Missing both safeties all year created a huge problem from the getgo, and the loss of Orakpo and Carriker for most of the season neutralized the front 7 pass rush. I'm not so sure other DCs could have done much better. By that argument, Kyle and Mike Shanahan should have been fired last year. Add an elite QB and everyone on offense looks better, as does K&M. The Skins have some quality players on D, but no stud defender that scares the opposing team. Haslett has schemed hard to avoid the weaknesses in defensive personnel. It's hard to hide that all game long let alone over six games.

IF Danny Smith has not been fired by now, I have a hard time believing Jim Haslett will be fired by Mike Shanahan at the end of the year. And neither Crennel nor Rivera generate much enthusiasm from me. Neither have had very good defenses since they left their original teams that gave them their reputation. And those teams had some very fine players that made the defense work. Bottom line, the players are more important than the coaching in the NFL. However, selecting the RIGHT players for your defense or offense is a critical component to success. Not convinced the Redskins have the right players to succeed on defense.

Danny Smith has compromising pictures of the owner though. lol

I am still unsure about Haslett's initial game planning. His/Their adjustments are fine and must be commended. I don't care for the way we start the game defensively.

this is how i feel. if he was a good coordinator, he wouldn't have to make adjustments because the gameplan would be good from the start.

this is how i feel. if he was a good coordinator, he wouldn't have to make adjustments because the gameplan would be good from the start.

Agee.. Funny how people have forgot the first few games of the season where the D was good in the first half then fell apart in the second. Haslett was killed for not making adjustments.

The defense seems to only put together one half of solid football under Haslett.

I've been consistent thinking that he should stay. Changing just for change's sake is what the Redskins used to do. I disagree that we have a talented corp of DB's. Josh Wilson is the closest player we have to being a shut down corner. And he's not big enough to truly be labeled that. We all know D-Hall is a good ball hawk and a good zone corner. Crawford has potential but still makes rookie mistakes. The safeties (the very backbone of your secondary) would have a hard time starting for any other NFL team.

The Front 7 has been Haz' forte'. Raheem was brought in to improve the secondary. Slowik was horrible last year. Morris has been better lately but they still give up some bad plays. The front 7 has been solid despite missing Rak, Carriker, and Keenan Robinson. If you're going to blame Haz for underachieving players then you also have to give him credit for coaching up Rob Jackson and the One man Gang as LB's. The pressures he's dialed up have been great and timed almost perfectly. Those pressures have led to most of the turn overs the defense has created.

Mike Shannahan wanted the 3-4 and wanted a defense that created Turn-overs. You can check that box big time! And that's been the secret to success for a lot of playoff teams lately. To fire Haz for doing what Mike S wanted would be dead wrong and have us starting over next year. I don't care if the players get mad at Haz. The days of players calling shots are long gone and should remain in the past! You show me a 'player's coach' and I'll show you a loser. (See Norv Turner and Wade Phillips).

Just as an added bonus, the Front 7 has been a beast vs the run all year long! There have been a couple of break aways but the avg per run has been pretty damn good all year. That's good coaching.

Keep Haz!

Yeah, I really think it comes down to the Dallas game. If we play soft like we did 2nd half Thanksgiving and lose 34-31, he might be gone. If we win, you'd have to keep him around for a playoff team with some injuries and the cap hit. Next year we'll have Carriker, Rak, Meriweather, Jackson, and a few draft picks and FAs. We MIGHT be able to be a top 10 defense next year.

Merriweather and Jackson have done nothing to earn their way onto this team next year and were signed as stopgaps. There will be other stopgaps next year, if we have to have them

Yes. I have always thought he was a good coach. He just needs some more players on defense. It always amazes me how much grief Snyder used to get for changing coaches so often and now so many fans want to do just the same thing. We have a good thing going. Let's not stop what we're doing to reinvent the wheel.

I don't think I ever wanted Haslett gone, I recognize that injuries and the cap hit have tied his hands a bit, and he can only do what he can with what he's got left.

The schemes have gotten better and the players have as well. they still give up points, but so is the entire NFL.

I'd say he has earned his keep, all things considered, and would like to see it work with his whole group and a few new pieces to fill in some wea spots.

I've been on the Fire Danny Smith bandwagon, and I've gotten off.

I don't hold grudges, so to speak. If a coach isn't getting it done on a consistent basis, then he's in jeopardy of being replaced and I MAY want to see it, and I MAY even advocate for it loudly as I have with Smith. . But if he turns it around and gets the job done, then all is forgotten, as far as I'm concerned. Coaching is about What Is Happening Now.

And this year, even though we've had some burps on special teams, by and large I think our Special Teams have been the best that Smith has produced.. aside from the lucky stroke of Forbath (who clearly should have been here competing with Gano instead of anyone else.), our cover teams are fantastic (Niles Paul and Lorenzo Alexander have been tearing it up) penalties have not been a problem, they've been practically eliminated, even though we did have a couple last week. (the hold that brought back ONiles Paul's kickoff return was ticky-tack.), by and large our special teams have been well disciplined and mistake free.

So good job, coach Smith.

My main coaching concern is Kyle getting a head coaching job somewhere.

~Bang

Do you really forget this defense sucked to close out the last 8 games of 2011 while healthy..?

Do you realize that 3 of these 6 games have been played vs Nick Foles and Brandon Weeden? Two QBS that rank near the bottom of the league?

Six games of film on the Browns offense showed you they were not explosive and used drags and slants over and over again.. Not difficult to plan against.

The Defense combined a horrible half of football with a good second half against the Giants, a team they have played well against the past few years. Ironically the defenses best game over the poor 8 game stretch last season was vs the NY Giants.

The Baltimore Ravens dominated play in the first half then fell apart in the second. They fired their Offensive Coordinator the next day..

Dallas I like the way the D played until the second half.. Yes we had a big lead but everyone knows our lack of pressure combined with zone coverage is a weakness.. Ironic since we are suppose to be a zone blitz based defense.

You can make the case that the Redskins could be 12-3 or 11-4 right now with a better DC.

Why did it take 7 games for him to make changes players and fans were asking for? No excuses for that imo.

Some of your points are legit, some are jaded. What changes were "players" asking for ? How do you know this to be a fact? If our DC made changes because "fans" asked for it, he needs to be fired..sorry.

3 of the 6 games were against Weeden and Foles, but 3 were against Eli, Romo sits to pee and Flacco, 3 QBs who played well and we still won. Our defense has no choice except to play "bend but don't break" because we have an extremely low amount of talent on that side of the ball. Haslett hasn't done a good job in his 3 years combined, but you have to act on most recent history. Continuity is very important, if we win this Dallas game about the same way we won the last 6...then Haslett deserves another year. I HATE to admit that because I have wanted him gone, but give him some real talent and let's see what he does. Something happened after the bye, things look different. I think now most of the defensive problems are on the players and the lack of talent than they are on the DC.

It isn't how long it took for Has to make changes, it's the fact that he made them and they have worked out so far. Remember how long Gibbs stuck it out with noodle arm Brunell? We rode Portis into early retirement because Brunell often passed for less than 100 yards a game. We'll see what happens, but unless we get Wade Phillips, Has is gonna stay~!

I honestly can say I have had a change of heart. Now that I know some things (behind the scenes) I didn't know before, Jimmy needs a very good safety (Merriweather Healthy). He also needs our kick butt DE Carriker back. Draft another big fast safety (if possible) and keep all of our corners. I like Cedric Griffin. Bring in another younger. Richard Crawford will develop into a #2 or possibly a number 1 in a couple of years.

so he should be able to game plan an entire game, despite the fact a well rounded team would be able to adjust itself to what he is doing?

This thread is another example of why you wait until a full year finishes before you freak out. And anyway, apparently Raheem Morris saved our franchise by being a savior and helping everyone deal with Haslett's terrible attitude. This from most insiders, anyway. Apparently Haslett beats his wife and Raheem Morris came in to stop his wife beating. Apparently Kyle S. was lost and clueless until Raheem Morris came in and told him how to get receivers open. I heard RG3 was a cornball brotha until Raheem Morris came in and told him to get down for the cause.

I mean, sure, the defensive secondary is the worst part of our team by far, and Raheem Morris is their secondary coach, but Raheem Morris is obviously gonna be our next head coach and lead us to a bunch of Superbowls, according to insiders. You know he calls all the plays for offense and defense, right?

No, no and hell no. I don't want a coach that takes half a season to figure out that you need to make adjustments at halftime to win the game. I don't want a coach that keeps doing the same damn thing (0 cover) that never has and never will work. I don't want a coach that isn't respected by his own defense. Time for a change. I'd love to run him and Danny Smith out on a rail.

Archived