Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

After this remarkable turnaround, do you want Haslett back now?

NIKKI8

I think this thread will be bumped next year when we have a top 10 defense at the midway point in the season with a different DC.

I don't think the question is "should Haslett be fired?". I think the queston should be "can we hire a better DC in the offseason?" I think the answer to that question is "yes we can". And I fully expect us to do so. :)

Do you guys realize how much better this defense would be with Orakpo, Carriker, T. Jackson and Meriweather? You saw the impact of Meriweather in a half.

This defense has been held together by rope, tape and glue since week 1. I think under the circumstances, Haz has a done a pretty decent job.

Also add in London hasn't been healthy for most of the year and neither has Wilson

Can someone explain to me why when we are outside the redzone on D we run man but when our D is in the redzone, 10yds to goal we are in zone? This drives me crazy why are our cbs 5 yds off the man when they only nd 5 or less for a td?? If Haz was so gd why was he coaching a damn ufl team an not a nfl team? You would think with his exp teams would have scooped him up but, no. Clearly it was a case of who he knew, mike, an not what he knew!

Which Haslet will we get next year

The one that finally started to try to get after QBs six weeks ago, and ramped up the aggressiveness and creativity?

Or the one before that, that seemed perfectly fine to try and win games getting no pressure on QBs, calling a very basic static defense that fooled no one. The secondary gouged week after week, Haslet content with no pressure on QBs. And we heard over and over that teams would know what defense we would be in.

In Haslets defense, we don't even know how much Mike dictates what we saw happening.

---------- Post added December-27th-2012 at 06:35 AM ----------

What is a coach supposed to do .....

Stop being predictable!

And i think that's all that we have seen during the past 6 weeks.

It all started with attempting to pressure Foles. We finally got after a rookie QB and broke the losing streak.

London didnt shed 10 years. Madieu is still the same player. Wilson is still running around back to the QB. Hall is still talking trash. Our players lost to injury, are still out. Rob Jackson is still trying to make Rak expendable.

The skins D simply masked their weaknesses by ramping up the creativity, making it much more difficult for OCs to target certain players. And during they past 6 weeks, they even had to start game planning for possible blitzes!

That's all they did. It was an easy solution.

We went after Foles 6 games ago, and never looked back.

Which Haslet will we get next year

The one that finally started to try to get after QBs six weeks ago, and ramped up the aggressiveness and creativity?

Or the one before that, that seemed perfectly fine to try and win games getting no pressure on QBs, calling a very basic static defense that fooled no one. The secondary gouged week after week, Haslet content with no pressure on QBs. And we heard over and over that teams would know what defense we would be in.

In Haslets defense, we don't even know how much Mike dictates what we saw happening.

---------- Post added December-27th-2012 at 06:35 AM ----------

Stop being predictable!

And i think that's all that we have seen during the past 6 weeks.

It all started with attempting to pressure Foles. We finally got after a rookie QB and broke the losing streak.

London didnt shed 10 years. Madieu is still the same player. Wilson is still running around back to the QB. Hall is still talking trash. Our players lost to injury, are still out. Rob Jackson is still trying to make Rak expendable.

The skins D simply masked their weaknesses by ramping up the creativity, making it much more difficult for OCs to target certain players. And during they past 6 weeks, they even had to start game planning for possible blitzes!

That's all they did. It was an easy solution.

We went after Foles 6 games ago, and never looked back.

Sorry, I really disagree with this. It's as if some of you think the players production on the field is fueled by some whipping system. At your job do you need your ****ing boss on your ass 24/7 telling you what the **** to do? I mean C'mon. This is too easy.

The majority of people here love the coach when **** works, and hate him when **** doesn't. A scheme is designed for success, not failure. Lack of execution is failure. Shanahan calls screen on the 10 yard line, it works, fans praise him. Shanahan calls screen on 10 yard line 8 games later, it doesn't work, fans hate him. Shanahan goes for it on 4th and 1 in week 3, fans love him. Shanahan doesn't go for it on 4th and 1 and still wins game, fans still hate on him for that one move.

There' no pleasing any of you. Haslett has been running multiple coverage packages the entire year, he's been adjusting with tons of personnel all throughout the year. Different safeties starting every week. Cornerbacks coming in and out of games, getting suspended. His starting safeties saw the field for a combined few quarters this season.

Half the fans don't know who the **** Jerome Murphy even is.

Again, Haslett as been running the cover 0 all year, he's been using the same scheme. Players are executing better now, is all. And yes, of course he deserves to finish his contract. That was never a question in my mind. Some of you turn one season into 13 seasons and attempt to dissect realities that don't even exist in an attempt to grab attention.

Sorry, I really disagree with this.....

I never suggested a whipping system, I suggested a dynamic system that is not predictable. Remember the Bengals first play, how they knew our defense call?

I am surprised you only think the players are performing now. I have seen a completely different defense, with the same personnel.

Did you not see how aggressively he went after Foles, and forget how passively we played against the 8 rookie QB's before that, and in the 4 games before that? Did you not we starting using a 5 man rush when 4 was failing miserably? Have Kerrigan rush from the right side? Stunting in the 1st quarter?

He has not been showing cover 0 hardly at all this year. Since getting burned by it horribly last year vs Dallas, he rarely to never runs it. Now, he only shows it, but backs out of it. Maybe I have been missing the somewhat hard to miss 11 man fronts but I first saw it this year only in december. Last year, he never backed out of it.

Yes when things go poorly or well, the fans complain or compliment.

And you are wrong, I am pleased to no end. Now that he has done more than delay blitz the ILB's when trying to get after QBs. But more importantly, he started trying to get after QBs, manufacture a pass rush, as a priority.

As the OP of this thread I want to thank everyone for there opinions and input, after reading all the posts, and everyone made very good arguments one way or the other, I think I'm leaning more now to the side that Haslett should be let go. Lavarleap56 made the strongest points to convince me. The meltdown in the second half on Thanksgiving against Dallas and letting Nick Foles nearly force overtime last Sunday were two very poorly coached games. I don't think Haslett is a horrible coach and injuries and suspensions have made it tough on him this year but I think we need to become a more consistent defense to be Super Bowl contenders year in year out and I don't think he is the man to do that. If he can get a shutout on Sunday though I may change my mind again (not that it matters what I think).

If Arizona fires Wisenhunt and doesn't give Ray Horton the head coach job I think he could be an upgrade as defensive coordinator. Their defense has been pretty good since he took over, I guess it helps to have a shutdown corner, all pro mlb and an excellent dl though. Some young, fiery defensive position coaches that I like are Keith Butler from the Steelers, Kevin Greene from the Packers and Pepper Johnson from the Patriots. I really think though that when the Redskins hired Morris last spring they gave him some asurances that he would become the DC when Haslett was let go, and that is why he took the job instead of waiting to see if Minnesota was going to hire him as DC. Just my opinion though.

On another subject involving the defense, I read last week that Baltimore would propably franchise Flacco and that would let Ed Reed as an unrestricted free agent. I know he is old and won't be around a long time but he has been playing well this year and would really fill a need at free safety. He is a leader and may have a few good years left. I guess it would depend on his price tag and it would propably be out of the Redskins price range.

I still can't make a determination either way. As i have said to Lakers fans over the D'Antoni hiring...i wanted to wait for at leazt 2 weeks of relative health before i even begin to judge his schematics & coaching.

I say the same thing about Haslett. In fact...it's easier to say that with him, he's got this D overachieving for the most part. The guys we have missing is nothing short of mind-bottling. It's no surprise that despite whatever scheme we employ we have trouble pressuring the QB, but at least we can consistently stop the run. Our safeties have played horrible for 8/10 of the time they're out there & offer little to no support for our DB's, & Kerrigan can't get by his man with any consistency without a blitz because no other rusher creates problems for the opposition.

I don't see how there's any way we can condemn this man for a sheer lack of playmakers on that side of the ball.

For my 2c i would like to see how well he can do with some Safety help & Orakpo healthy. The Carriker loss is also understated by a lot of people as he was playing VERY well to start this season.

Personally...i wanna see us get some DB help through FA & try to draft front 7 & O-line depth. But that's getting WAAAAAAAY ahead here. As for now, we have a Division title to win with Haslett as our head of Defense.

Can you cite quotes as examples?
No direct quotes, but I can paraphrase. He often points out the bad spots the offense puts the defense in, like 3 and outs and turnovers. "The opponent had a lot of possessions.", "The opponent got a short field.". My favorite is him saying earlier in the year that it's been a rarity to have a lead and they weren't used to being in that position.

And it's not like he gives credit to the offense when they control the ball and go turnover-free or build a lead.

We've had injuries, suspensions, bad luck, etc, but he often looks lost and just stares blankly at his play-sheet. This in itself is not enough to axe the guy, maybe it's just his natural expression.

There has been improvements lately. The d-line has stepped up and the LBs seem to have re-grouped after losing Rak. The secondary is missing too much talent and is obviously still a weakness.

Despite the improvements, I still think that Haslett hasn't got the most out of the players that he has got, and think that he's outta here at the end of the season.

I'm leaning towards no, despite the improvement. Part of me wonders if this is more because the team in general seems to be more motivated. There is certainly a dearth of talent on the defense at quite a few places, which both Shanahan and Haslett should be held responsible for.

But, I would like to see someone who is more dynamic at the DC. Haslett doesn't seem to have the "it" factor. Ultimately, tho, it will be up to Shanahan and what he has seen out of Haslett these past few games.

Until someone with inside knowledge says this was all Haz's doing I wont believe for one second that the D's turnaround was due to his scheming...Have a feeling more will come out in the offseason, jmo..

I completely agree with this statement and have been wondering it for weeks. There has been a lot of scheming by Raheem Morris and I think he has alot to do with the improved play as of late.

To me the turn around has to do more with what Shanahan has said and done.

He threw down the gaunlet and challenged the players to perform as if their jobs next year depended on it.

And to a apoint, he may have included the coaches in that challenge.

I trust that the FO will make the best choice for the team, but I am hoping that Haslett is coaching the Jets next year.

Archived