Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

After this remarkable turnaround, do you want Haslett back now?

NIKKI8

One thing about this defense, they HIT.

They play to the whistle, they rush to the ball, tackle well and HIT really hard. They make sure their presence his felt. We punch teams in the mouth and it's a good attitude against Seattle.

One of the biggest changes I've seen over this year is that with the exception of the second Eagles game, our tackling seemed much better in the streak. Over the first 9, we'd miss so many tackles even in wins. Also, as the defensive guys kept saying, the defensive plan was solid they just weren't executing. Haslett's schemes are pretty exotic and he lost his best horses, Once the backups really learned how to do it, the defense turned it around. I suspect it was as much about Haslett staying the course and letting the backups figure out how to do what they were supposed to do. Several games early in the season we were blitzing a lot but failed to force the issue.

After the St. Louis game I wanted him gone when Amendola had 100+ receiving yards in the first half and I thought he was a dead man walking at 3-6, but something has changed on that defense. He's beginning to use the players differently even with all the injuries. I think I do want him back if things continue to go the way have been.

I cannot remember where I read/heard it, but I remember hearing or reading that Haslett was holding back part of the defensive play book during the beginning part of the season when our D was atrocious, because of our injuries and not thinking the second/third stringers would be able to execute. I wonder if he's dialed up normal game-plans over the last 7 weeks and the guys have taken it all in and executed brilliantly? Either way, he deserves a lot of credit. Last nights game was called beautifully.

No question Has should be back. Four defensive started (inc our best pass rusher) have been gone for pretty much the entire season. Yes, our pass d has been atroucios, but at times, we had third string safetys back there. I think that he has done a pretty remarkable job with what he has been given to work with. At full strength on D, we would have been scary this year.

The only thing I don't like about this discussion is how willing some of us are to lessen or demean the coaching jobs done by all of our defensive coaches after the bye week in an attempt to justify wanting Haslett gone. We can appreciate and acknowledge how well they've been working together considering just how depleted our secondary is as well as missing our best pass rusher while still be against keeping Haslett.

As many have already stated in this thread, if there is a better coordinator out there, either within our staff or outside, we should make the move. This discussion should focus on who those guys are and why more than whether or not Haslett has been involved in this turnaround (or how much) or even if we can consider it a turnaround (which I think it's crazy not to, but I digress). The former debate includes very little other than speculation.

I'd like someone to put together stats of our defense from the bye week until now and than compare it to the rest of the league in their final 7 games as well or atleast average it out to an entire season and compare it to the rest of the league. This way we have something to go by.

I'll say it again: I don't like Haslett. I don't think he's a great coordinator. I don't think his track record is good enough to warrant being hired in the first place, and I don't like the way he runs the 3-4.

Now that that's out of the way: I don't give a crap about how I feel about the man. The way the defense played during that final stretch, regardless of the why or how, was inspirational. Haslett gave some very REAL control to Fletcher to audible on a whim. Using your, in my opinion, all pro inside backer to make adjustments on the field is the best move he's made.

Jim Haslett deserves at the very least another year.

I'll say it again: I don't like Haslett. I don't think he's a great coordinator. I don't think his track record is good enough to warrant being hired in the first place, and I don't like the way he runs the 3-4.

Now that that's out of the way: I don't give a crap about how I feel about the man. The way the defense played during that final stretch, regardless of the why or how, was inspirational. Haslett gave some very REAL control to Fletcher to audible on a whim. Using your, in my opinion, all pro inside backer to make adjustments on the field is the best move he's made.

I'd say it's hard to judge what he's really done without 1/3 of our true (projected) starters on D. We all saw what Meriweather was able to do in that one game. I think we get drastically better on D next year. The trend is definitely headed the right way into the playoffs at the very least.

Yeah, the freedom he gave to Fletcher to audible and change things on the field was a great move. Haz had earned another season, but the team has to get him some better safeties.

Not a fan of Haz, but I have to give him his due... Kudos for a job well done.

The D was well drilled yesterday. They made the right calls, players were not missing tackles and the made a seasoned vet like Romo sits to pee look like a rookie. Like Oliver Twist, I want some more. Can we do it next week. Stop a beast at RB and contain the read option?

I dont think we have much of a choice...

There will be a choice, a lot of coaches and staffs will be getting fired over the next few days - there will be some viable DC candidates likely available. Haslett and the defensive staff have done a good job the last few weeks and maybe have earned another year with some upgraded personnel but if here is a clear upgrade available with experience in the style of 3-4 we run we would be silly not to take a real hard look and make a choice ....

After the St. Louis game I wanted him gone when Amendola had 100+ receiving yards in the first half and I thought he was a dead man walking at 3-6, but something has changed on that defense. He's beginning to use the players differently even with all the injuries. I think I do want him back if things continue to go the way have been.

I agree and I may even want D-Hall back. Go figure.

---------- Post added December-31st-2012 at 11:32 AM ----------

Anybody have a gif of Fletcher after he sacked Romo sits to pee the second time? He was going ballistic and it was ****ing awesome!

that was f----ing hilarious.

You're a tough cookie.

I have to give the devil his due. I still think there's better coordinators than him out there, but giving London the freedom to change things has helped tremendously, and this last game was ****ing masterful. He did things he hadn't done all season. He was dropping Cofield into coverage and attacking the gaps and blitzing like a man possessed. For whatever reason, Haslett shows out against Dallas. He called that game like his job was on the line, and if we're being honest, it sort of was.

I still think we can upgrade at the position, and that their are better coordinators. But if I thought I could get this Jim Haslett for a 16 game season? I'd consider keeping him around a little longer.

London Fletcher for player DC.

It's an interesting question I've been thinking about, and I wanted to see how we finished before jumping in.

Our defense was giving up an average of 27 points prior to the bye week, but has since averaged 20 points a game given up since. That's a huge improvement, a full touchdown less a game.

There could be a lot of things going on behind the scenes but my hope is that Haslett had a fire lit under him and that's what caused the improvement. If that's the case, I think he's earned another year to show what he can do with the defense when it's healthy. If, for example, we can average holding teams to 20 points a game next year, I could easily foresee a 11+ win season with the way the offense is playing.

So probably, I'd say give him another year, bolster the secondary where we can, and hope our starters stay healthy, and see what happens. If next season is like the 1st half of this season, let him go for 2014, if it's more like the 2nd half, keep him around.

I still think we can upgrade at the position, and that their are better coordinators. But if I thought I could get this Jim Haslett for a 16 game season? I'd consider keeping him around a little longer.

I'm in complete agreement with this statement. I have NO idea if he can keep it up. But, maybe it's because I'm a coach and I believe a good performance should earn you an opportunity to keep building, I think he should be back next year. Doesn't mean I'm a fan of his. Just that he's earned another opportunity.

I've been less than complimentary about Haslett, questioning both his schemes, his leadership, and his ability to adjust when needed. Last nights game - and in retrospect - this whole crazy run we've been on, has made me think again.

His clever blitzes and mixed coverages were inspired. Having D-Hall cover bryant one-on-one was a brave call, it could have all gone wrong if bryant had broke free for a few big TDs, but Haslett obviously knew what he was doing and it worked perfectly.

Maybe it's just post-game euphoria talking, but I've changed my mind about Haslett, and would be ok with him for another season.

Archived