Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

After this remarkable turnaround, do you want Haslett back now?

NIKKI8

I still think he's gone, but I wouldn't be shocked if he coached his way into another year.

There is a zero percent chance he gets fired ny Shanahan.

And he deserves at least another year. He was great with the poor talent and injuries he dealt with.

I'd take I'm every day of the week over Gregg Williams too. Williams couldn't cause a turnover if we were playing the pee wee cowboys.

To be totally honest, no, I don't want Haslett back. I simply do not like how he calls a game generally and feel he could coax more out of the defense than he does if he were more adaptable. Saying that, he's CLEARLY being MORE adaptable. The variety of blitzes and coverage schemes he's running within a game are clearly maximizing the people he has by keeping the opponent guessing. Remember how confident the Rams were about dealing with Haslett? Remember Cincy telling you they kept the wildcat pass until us because they KNEW what they'd get from us once they showed it? That element seems to be gone. Haslett seems to have gone from a guy who runs HIS system to a guy who adapts it to what the opposition is doing. Halftime adjustments are evident in our winning streak. He's coaching better and in a way you have to say he deserves his job. Though I suspect he'll go back to himself and infuriate me, I have to acknowledge he's doing more with less than he had been doing. For that I am grateful and for that he will be back and remain my least favorite coach, but, at least he's shown he will do some of the things people have wondered why he won't or can't do.

Though I suspect he'll go back to himself and infuriate me, I have to acknowledge he's doing more with less than he had been doing. For that I am grateful and for that he will be back and remain my least favorite coach, but, at least he's shown he will do some of the things people have wondered why he won't or can't do.

You and I are on the same page... Completely :ols:

Kind of talking "non-football" related here ... but let's say Haz goes through the playoffs and keeps this roll on D going ... whether it's for one more week or the next four weeks. If you still make a change ... any thoughts on the message is it sends and the effect it would have on the team chemistry.

Kind of talking "non-football" related here ... but let's say Haz goes through the playoffs and keeps this roll on D going ... whether it's for one more week or the next four weeks. If you still make a change ... any thoughts on the message is it sends and the effect it would have on the team chemistry.

I doubt we make a change...

That said, I could write a glowing letter of recommendation for Jim Haslett to become the head coach of another franchise. It would be on pretty stationary with all sorts of graphs and charts. :ols:

There is a zero percent chance he gets fired ny Shanahan.

And he deserves at least another year. He was great with the poor talent and injuries he dealt with.

I'd take I'm every day of the week over Gregg Williams too. Williams couldn't cause a turnover if we were playing the pee wee cowboys.

Here and Buffalo he had problems with turnovers, but in New Orleans he had not problems. It was the defensive personnel that were the problem.

I doubt we make a change...

That said, I could write a glowing letter of recommendation for Jim Haslett to become the head coach of another franchise. It would be on pretty stationary with all sorts of graphs and charts. :ols:

:ols: I'm feeling a cool hipster like infographic!

To be totally honest, no, I don't want Haslett back. I simply do not like how he calls a game generally and feel he could coax more out of the defense than he does if he were more adaptable. Saying that, he's CLEARLY being MORE adaptable. The variety of blitzes and coverage schemes he's running within a game are clearly maximizing the people he has by keeping the opponent guessing. Remember how confident the Rams were about dealing with Haslett? Remember Cincy telling you they kept the wildcat pass until us because they KNEW what they'd get from us once they showed it? That element seems to be gone. Haslett seems to have gone from a guy who runs HIS system to a guy who adapts it to what the opposition is doing. Halftime adjustments are evident in our winning streak. He's coaching better and in a way you have to say he deserves his job. Though I suspect he'll go back to himself and infuriate me, I have to acknowledge he's doing more with less than he had been doing. For that I am grateful and for that he will be back and remain my least favorite coach, but, at least he's shown he will do some of the things people have wondered why he won't or can't do.

Always glad to see you posting. You need to come back more often.

---------- Post added December-31st-2012 at 12:45 PM ----------

:ols: I'm feeling a cool hipster like infographic!

Only showing all the positives and hiding all the negatives.

Always glad to see you posting. You need to come back more often.

---------- Post added December-31st-2012 at 12:45 PM ----------

Only showing all the positives and hiding all the negatives.

:rotflmao:

exaclty .... just selling the hell out of Haslett with bright colors and clever 3D charts and graphs ... too funny :ols:

Well, Lovie Smith is available (4-3 guy though) but it doens't look like Rex Ryan will be.

Not sure what else is out there right now.

I would love to get Lovie in here, scheme change or not. The man is a excellent DC and I dont think it would take much to make us a pretty damn good 4-3.

I wanted him fired earlier in the season, but he has adapted his schemes and gotten better performances out of the defense. That INT by Jackson was a fantastic play design.

That being said, I agree with Art that generally I don't like how he calls a game. If he keeps up the various blitzing then I'll like it more, but in general he comes off as too vanilla for my tastes.

That being said, I do think if what he has learned from these adaptations sticks with him and carries over to next year, then we will have a defense capable of being top 15. The turnovers keep happening, the defense stays consistent, and we have a top-half unit, we can win more games.

I would like someone to ask why Haslet waited until really the last possible moment before dialing up a more aggressive approach to get after QB's. Versus what we saw up until week 9, which was leaving our DBs on an island caused by no significant pass rush, and no attempt to try something different.

That same lethargic approach was implemented against all the rookie QBs we faced during our losing streak to them.

Last night, when we went to zone or rushed 3, we were instantly gouged. That's what we saw for much of the first 9 weeks.

I know Haslet has to change it up but I am fine with his play calls last night and the past 7 weeks. Last night, he did exactly what I wanted, lots of blind side blitzes by DB's.

I want Haslet back if he continues to be aggressive. Its very simple.

To be totally honest, no, I don't want Haslett back. I simply do not like how he calls a game generally and feel he could coax more out of the defense than he does if he were more adaptable. Saying that, he's CLEARLY being MORE adaptable.

I disagree that he's adapting more now, he's been adadpting all season. We've seen heavy blitzing, we've seen bend don't break, we've seen Hall rotate between FS/NB/CB, countless guys rotated at both ILB/OLB, countless guys rotated at either safety position, and countless guys rotated throughout the secondary.

And once he found some semblance of consistency he began to adapt and diversify his play-calling.

I just heard Crawford interviewed on 980, and for one it sounds like he and every other player interviewed that I've heard love some Haslett (R Jackson, Cofield as well). But he mentioned how after some injuries it took some time for this defense to find itself, and once it did Haslett was a lot more comfortable opening up the playbook as he did last night.

Remember how confident the Rams were about dealing with Haslett?

The rams have been a perennial bottom feeder for how long now? Who's to say they're making the right decision? And they let him go as a HC, not as a DC, after he was promoted.

Remember Cincy telling you they kept the wildcat pass until us because they KNEW what they'd get from us once they showed it? That element seems to be gone.

Yes. Do you remember that the play was run incorrectly? Gomes I believe it was waived off Hall, who was supposed to manned up with AJ Green. If Hall mans up with AJ, this play may very well never have been talked about. Fact is the cover-0 is a great defense to call v the wildcat, if it left our tema so vulnerable why wouldn't more people be taking advantage of this?

Haslett seems to have gone from a guy who runs HIS system to a guy who adapts it to what the opposition is doing.

I disagree, I think he ran a vanilla defense, because he had a ton of new/young guys earning their stripes still.

I don't know.

While I think the players respect Haslett more than they did earlier this season, I still don't think they like him or trust all that much. So it might be a moot point, given the fact that just a few weeks ago players seemed fed up with him.

---------- Post added December-31st-2012 at 08:14 PM ----------

Aside from the rush 3 defenders that cost us a TD, he has mixed it up quite well since the middle of the season. Somewhere along the way, he learned to call a defensive game that keeps the opponents guess and off balance.

That play wasn't really his fault though. First, Dallas didn't get the playoff before the game clock hit double zeroes but still got a free play, basically, and second, Barry Cofield got completely mugged on the play.

Archived