Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

After this remarkable turnaround, do you want Haslett back now?

NIKKI8

If the owner has his way he will not.. Just like the decision with Brandon Banks.

If the owner has his way??? I thought Mike Shanahan was calling the shots with player personnel. I am hoping he's gone as well. I am hoping it's someone other than Morris though.

If the owner has his way he will not.. Just like the decision with Brandon Banks.

If Banks was Snyder's call, than good for him. It was the right one and long overdue.

As for Haz...I'm undecided. Hard to have an opinion without having access to what's going on during the week and behind the scenes. Is Haz covering up the deficiencies of his assistants with solid halftime adjustments and macro-level planning? Vice versa? Have we just gotten lucky?

Eh. The owner gave personnel control to Shanahan. And while he could go over his head, I don't think he will. If Haslett is let go it'll be on Shanahan's word.

Here's another thing we have to put 20 to 30 plus points up a game to win them. We definitely need change at DC but again I think Raheem Morris is not the answer, if he is chosen. We need someone that has been groomed under a very successful NFL DC that is ready to take the job as a new DC. Who that person is I don't know but I want someone that runs the 3-4 and runs defenses with a firey personality.

If the owner has his way??? I thought Mike Shanahan was calling the shots with player personnel. I am hoping he's gone as well. I am hoping it's someone other than Morris though.

The owner can still say to the coach, "hey this guy is not producing, maybe try something else"?

As for Haslett, I want him gone, though if we fix the backend, it won't be a total disaster if he stays. Our offense with an average defense (especially the way we produce turnovers) is absolutely good enough to win the Super Bowl.

I'm in "fool me once" mode with Haslett but I'm still kind of torn, he's done a solid job since the bye and I really can't hate on him. Seems like the last few weeks though we've let teams hang around and it's not exactly like we're a good defense. We just score enough points not to lose.

Again, I think people are missing the point. It appears Haslett has ruffled feathers of the wrong people inside our organization. This is not just about his performance on the field, which has been mediocre at best. In my opinion, we have still been winning in spite of our defense. I will be suprised if he is with the team next year.

Haslett needs to be shown the door, because we can do better at the DC position. Slowik needs to be thrown out on his head, preferably into oncoming traffic.

The owner can still say to the coach, "hey this guy is not producing, maybe try something else"?

As for Haslett, I want him gone, though if we fix the backend, it won't be a total disaster if he stays. Our offense with an average defense (especially the way we produce turnovers) is absolutely good enough to win the Super Bowl.

The owner can say what he wants but the ultimate decision should be up to Shanahan.

No. Not even a little.

The defense has improved, but not much. He still falls pray to the same mistakes, over and over again. He still plays our awful, terrible Cover 0 package; the last time we used it to effectiveness, we got a sack off it. Then we used it again in the fourth quarter and got burnt the same way we always got burnt.

Haslett still has two tendencies that piss me off and they both point to the kind of coordinator he is.

1.) He plays passive as hell in the first half. The opposing offense moves the ball pretty much at will but Haz still rushes 4-5 (sometimes even just three guys) and plays zone and we get torched. Then in the second half (apparently, most of the time at the player's prodding/begging), he turns up the heat, gets aggressive, takes chances, and suddenly we play defense a lot better.

2.) OR it's the exact oppossite. We're aggressive as hell in the first half and do a much better job keeping a team in check while our offense does work. Then, either we run up a big lead, or we get burnt on a big play, and we go back to playing the same old passive coverages.

Once the coach forced Danny Smith's hand on the whole Brandon Bank thing, the special teams unit has been playing lights out. I haven't had a problem with Danny Smith most of the season outside of playing Banks, and once he was gone all my issues with him dissolved. We've got an awesome cover unit and Niles and Crawford are solid return guys.

Haslett, in my mind, hasn't earned the right to keep his job. He's inconsistent as hell, and if we didn't have leaders like Bowen, Cofield, Fletcher and Perry on this defense, I think we'd be a lot worse off. It took him pretty much the entire season to use Rob Jackson as a pass rusher consistently and we see how much of a factor he's been in the last few weeks, and how Jackson playing well has started to positively impact Ryan Kerrigan.

He's slow to adjust, he scares easily, the players don't like him, the offensive coaches don't like him, the owner doesn't like him. Why keep a guy no one likes?

But the owner shouldn't have his way, it should be up to Bruce and mike.

Allen has absolutely no say in the matter. Shanahan controls all personnel decisions. Snyder has no say right now either.

People complaining about Slowik forget that he has been tied to Shanahan's waist for years now. Not likely Shanny is cutting him loose. He should but probably won't. As for Haslett, the fact that Shanahan has been picking his defensive assistants without his input suggests Haslett will go. Not sure he deserves to go given the last 6 games. But it sounds like Haslett may have created his own dog house. I guess we'll see if Shanahan is talking out of both sides of his mouth if he fires Haslett after announcing his contract was extended a few months ago.

so he should be able to game plan an entire game, despite the fact a well rounded team would be able to adjust itself to what he is doing?

there u go.. he "should" be able to but cant. and if a team can simply adjust their offense at halftime to what the defense is doing, there would never be shutouts. good coordinators dont adjust at halftime, they constantly adjust. haslett isnt creative enough

Allen has absolutely no say in the matter. Shanahan controls all personnel decisions. Snyder has no say right now either.

People complaining about Slowik forget that he has been tied to Shanahan's waist for years now. Not likely Shanny is cutting him loose. He should but probably won't. As for Haslett, the fact that Shanahan has been picking his defensive assistants without his input suggests Haslett will go. Not sure he deserves to go given the last 6 games. But it sounds like Haslett may have created his own dog house. I guess we'll see if Shanahan is talking out of both sides of his mouth if he fires Haslett after announcing his contract was extended a few months ago.

People also forget that Slowik was pretty much out the door once we bought Raheem on board. Lou left for UCLA which left a gap at linebacker's coach that, apparently, we couldn't fill with someone else, so Slowik stayed to coach linebackers as the Senior Bowl, and then just sort of stuck around after that.

It's worth mentioning that pretty much anytime there's a sideline camera on the field for NFL Films, all the linebackers are either talking to each other or talking to Raheem, not Haz or Slowik. Probably just a coincidence, but interesting none the less.

Agee.. Funny how people have forgot the first few games of the season where the D was good in the first half then fell apart in the second. Haslett was killed for not making adjustments.

The defense seems to only put together one half of solid football under Haslett.

I think this comment just reinforces that the defensive talent is poor and that scheming can only hide it so long before the other team figures it out. We have too many defensive players with certain strengths that are not all around quality defensive players capable of playing all three downs or playing both man and zone or playing fast vs shifty receivers. I just do not see how another DC is going to hide all the warts that this defense has this season.

Not saying Haslett is a great DC; just saying that our defensive problems are a whole lot deeper than Haslett not scheming the players and defense correctly. Hell, he's got two former DCs working for him in Slowik and Morris....and you know the old man is not keeping his nose out of it. Morris and Slowik are as much to blame as Haslett; which means Shanahan is also to blame for the situation. I'm tired of Morris always being left out of the criticism when it is HIS GUYS who are ****ing up most of the time. He supposedly came in to "fix" our secondary issues and they are worse than last year. So I continue having a very hard time believing it is all Haslett's fault for our poor defense.

Has he really done that well since the bye week? He played Foles in his first start, Weedon, and Foles again. They aren't good QBs and aren't really good teams either. Philly was also missing its best deep threat in DJax.

He got lit up the second half of the Dallas game and nearly gave away the lead even though the offense only gave him a short field once on RG3's interception. This was without Murray and Miles Austin too.

The Giants were moving the ball all over us early and Martellus Bennet was getting anything he wanted. The Giants went away from the pass as part of their gameplan to consume clock and keep RG3 and offense off the field.We are able to shut down their run game for the most part.

Flacco looked pretty good early as did Ray Rice. I sense some things were going wrong for Baltimore though considering they fired their OC after our game.

I don't think Haslett has in anyway earned another year. We don't make any adjustments until halftime if then. I can't remember one complete game the defensive has played all year. Yeah we have played and looked better but i think that is in large part due to the circumstances of our schedule and the teams we are playing since the bye. Haslett hasn't finally "gotten it" or had that lightbulb moment. He still isn't any good.

The D looked good against the Giants running game holding them to 16 points and we outscored the Ravens. That looks like about all that has happened.

Its why I am so terrified of this Dallas game. Any defensive improvement I really think has been smoke and mirrors and could be exploited this week. I pray I am wrong.

Regardless, we should definitely look to improve our DC in the offseason.

It's kind of funny how six weeks ago everyone wanted Dan to get involved to put Shanny on the hot seat and tell him to shape up or ship out. Now Dan can't have a say in whether or not Haz should be fired. Weird.

Exactly. It has been mentioned that Slowik and Haslett will not be here next year. I hope nothing has changed in that regard. I think Shanny extended Haslett to take the focus/media attention away from him, and I think it's worked as far as that goes.

Coaches are the same as players. If you feel like you can upgrade...you do it. And I don't think it's a stretch to say that we can secure an upgrade over Haslett.

I think he deserves another season with a healthy starting line-up. He lost Orakpo, Carriker, Merriweather, and Jackson this season.

And Griffin with injuries and age for Fletcher, Golston, now Bowen, not to mention the backups in our secondary. Everyone ****ed about how bad our offensive line was last year with all the injuries and this year, even with Polumbus, they have been fairly decent because of the lack of injuries and lost playing time.

It's kind of funny how six weeks ago everyone wanted Dan to get involved to put Shanny on the hot seat and tell him to shape up or ship out. Now Dan can't have a say in whether or not Haz should be fired. Weird.

Not weird at all.

I'm fine with the owner hiring and firing Shanny (who is the defacto GM in our structure). Hiring and firing OCs DCs and the rest of the coaching staff is another thing though - that should be the sole prerogative of the HC. As for the idea that the owner had some kind of say in benching the KR/PR if that's what LL meant in his earlier post, well that would be really worrying to me.

Archived