Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

After this remarkable turnaround, do you want Haslett back now?

NIKKI8

Def do not want that... just saying. if they get the right players it doesnt matter what they run on D.

That's the key to it all. A true, dominating NT would make a heck of a diference right there. I like the attacking nature of what a 34 can be, and we've seen a fantastic upturn in tuakeaway's from them this year with sub-standard talent in an ideal World. I can take losing yardage for the payoff of turnovers.

I'd like to see, with the right personnel obviously, us go down the Texans road which is more a 5-2 than true 34 most times; than trying to ape the Steelers scheme. (Though to be fair to Haslett, we've been a mixture of 34/ 43/ 52 at times.).

Hail.

He's gotta go. I prefer the 4-3

We have spent 3 years drafting and signing players to fit the 3-4. Changing back to a 4-3 would set us back a couple of years and this is a team ready to contend next year if we can add a couple of pieces in our secondary and maybe RT.

Going into the bye week after the loss to Carolina I thought there was no chance Jim Haslett would return as defensive coordinator in 2013, I was even kinda hoping that he wouldn't finish out the season but something has changed in this defense since they came back and went on this six game winning streak and now I'm leaning towards wanting him back next season. He seems to be making better adjustments now and the half that meriweather played made me think that if we had better play at safety the rest of the defense would look alot better. I'm just curious as to what other fans are thinking regarding Haslett coming back next year?

No!

Even with the improved defense late in the season, the lack of defense earlier in the season is the only reason the season is on the line now. That shouldn't be overlooked in the post season evaluation.

I'd put more of the credit on the players banding together after Shanahan's evaluating players comments than on Haslett's coaching ability. With the comments from players bristling, I think they got fired up and got themselves together more than he coached 'em up. But he's the guy at the helm so he's gonna get the credit.

We have spent 3 years drafting and signing players to fit the 3-4. Changing back to a 4-3 would set us back a couple of years and this is a team ready to contend next year if we can add a couple of pieces in our secondary and maybe RT.

actually, with the way Rob Jackson is playing in coverage right now we might not be as bad off as we thought if we switched back. Just line up like this:

RE: Brian Orakpo, Stephen Bowen

RT: Jarvis Jenkins, Chris Neild

LT: Barry Cofield, Chris Baker

LE: Ryan Kerrigan, Doug Worthington

RLB: Rob Jackson, Lorenzo Alexander

MLB: London Fletcher, Roderick Muckleroy

LLB: Perry Riley, Keenan Robinson

Yeah, I really think it comes down to the Dallas game. If we play soft like we did 2nd half Thanksgiving and lose 34-31, he might be gone. If we win, you'd have to keep him around for a playoff team with some injuries and the cap hit. Next year we'll have Carriker, Rak, Meriweather, Jackson, and a few draft picks and FAs. We MIGHT be able to be a top 10 defense next year.

I think we win this game if we keep Dex Bryant in check. We couldn't stop him the first time and he's the way that dude is playing now, he could single handedly beat us. Can Haslett keep this secondary together enough to not let him go off with the season on the line? I have nightmares of Madieu Williams running over late while Dez is behind our corners.

I completely agree w/ what you're saying. To get hammered in the first half as if we had no clue what the other team wants to do. For instance in the Philly game. They came out and ran the ball. I'm not sure how he couldn't anticipate them wanting to get Shady off to a good start taking the pressure off of Foles. How come Williams is always on the opposite side of the field where he should be. In the passing game he's either always late or somewhere else. This guy has been around far to long to be making the same mistakes constantly. Ay the same time you still gotta wonder what our D would look like w/ Jackson, Meriweather, Rak, and Carriker on the field all at the same time.

Very good question op, I wanted him out after Carolina, but what he's done with so little to work with will make you re-think. How good would this defense really be without any injuries to 3 very good starters in AK, RAK and Meriweather and we had our pass rush back.. This defense is instantly better when they come back and we get a solid secondary this off season. As for Haslett, This Sunday Night will be huge in his future here.

I never really wanted him to go.

While some of his decisions have not been great, you could say that about any other defense coordinator in the NFL. Unless a guy like Mike Zimmer is brought in, I don't see how firing Jim Haslett and trading him in for a different guy will really make much if a difference.

Give Jim Haslett some talent in the defensive backfield and all of a sudden he'll start to look like a guru.

He pretty much has to stay. I mean look at the players he has been given and what he has gotten out of them. And i have been blown away by his halftime adjustments. I've been cussing him out in the first half only for him to make me shut up in the 2nd half. He is managing that fine line on bend dont break defense, but he has to with the players he has. Just imagine if Orakpo and Meriweather were still out there, this probably wouldnt even be a topic.

I don't attribute this run to Haz. I give credit to the players for making lemonade out of lemons. Fletch has made some critical calls - when he does the hand signals and everyone shifts around. I think the players are starting to gel and that can make up for some lack of coaching. He needs to go quietly into the night. I don't want a media rollercoaster, just shake hands and roll out. Take Madoodoo with you on your way out.

Hail

Give Jim Haslett some talent in the defensive backfield and all of a sudden he'll start to look like a guru.

Yeah lets not go overboard lol...

Haslett is still the same guy and not much has changed. A lot of fans are blinded by wins put fail to put those wins in perspective. Haslett is a mediocre at best DC and this defense will improve when he leaves.

We are not going to switch to a 4-3 any time soon, so let it go already.

This.

I wouldn't mind getting rid of Haz though. However, the biggest difference we can make on D would be to get our two starting safties back and never letting Madieu see the field again. He is the worst safety I have ever seen in an NFL uniform.

Archived