Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Colin Cowherd: RG3 can't hold a candle to Andrew Luck

SanfordJay

I would question the premise here about pressure. You don't think Luck had mounds of pressure as the #1 overall pick following Peyton Manning? Hyped for 2 solid years as the best QB to come out in a generation. While our fanbase was starved, their fanbase was spoiled rotten. Luck is out there with differenct expectations, but big expectations nonetheless. I don't think he had any less pressure than RG3.

Agreed, any qb picked so early has huge expectations. With that said, anyone who thinks because Luck throws so much means the Colts are relying on him more are just not grasping the whole picture. Our run game is predicated on not only RG3's passing but also his running ability. Morris has been a revelation, but make no mistake, without RG3 our offense would simply not function. Even if we had a guy just as efficient at passing, our play action passes and option plays just would not be effective and likewise our regular passes and runs would suffer as well. You can't say that about Luck in Indy.

Funny thing, I don't hate Luck or the Colts, but I find myself wanting to root for them to lose because of all the praise he gets for winning games against creampuffs.
A team that went 15-1 last year is a creampuff?

Look, you of all people, should know better than to make a comment like this. Cam Newton got even more praise last year than Luck's getting now and his team only won 6 games. And both guys inherited 2-14 teams, if I'm not mistaken.

Luck is getting most of the praise he's getting because he took a 2-14 team and has made them into a playoff contender. You guys can knock the schedule he's played all you want, but it's irrelevant when you consider how bad a team it was he was coming to. He has 8 wins in 12 starts. Cam Newton, the guy who had the greatest rookie season a QB has ever had, has 9 total wins...in 20 starts.

Luck and Griffin both inherited terrible teams and are doing amazing things. I don't understand why so many people feel they have to discount Luck's achievements. It's not a knock against Griffin to give Luck credit for what he's done.

It's far too early to say who's gonna win ROY. And, honestly, even if Griffin doesn't win it, it won't bother me all that much. I'm content (for now) just knowing that the Redskins are relevant again, after all these years.

A team that went 15-1 last year is a creampuff?

Look, you of all people, should know better than to make a comment like this. Cam Newton got even more praise last year than Luck's getting now and his team only won 6 games. And both guys inherited 2-14 teams, if I'm not mistaken.

Luck is getting most of the praise he's getting because he took a 2-14 team and has made them into a playoff contender. You guys can knock the schedule he's played all you want, but it's irrelevant when you consider how bad a team it was he was coming to. He has 8 wins in 12 starts. Cam Newton, the guy who had the greatest rookie season a QB has ever had, has 9 total wins...in 20 starts.

Luck and Griffin both inherited terrible teams and are doing amazing things. I don't understand why so many people feel they have to discount Luck's achievements. It's not a knock against Griffin to give Luck credit for what he's done.

It's far too early to say who's gonna win ROY. And, honestly, even if Griffin doesn't win it, it won't bother me that much. I'm content (for now) just knowing that the Redskins are relevant again, after all these years.

Beating Green Bay is a good feather in his cap, but when you have 3-9 Tenneessee twice, 3-9 Jacksonville twice (he did lose to them), 2-10 KC, 3-9 Cleveland, 6-6 fading Minnesota, 5-7 Miami, 5-7 Buffalo, lost to the NYJ (was creamed) and 4-8 Detroit, that doesn't look as daunting. I know we've lost to Carolina, the Rams and have beaten the same Minnesota team he has. But we've had to play Pittsburgh on the road, 11-1 Atlanta, 7-5 Cincy, 6-6 TB, 5-7 New Orleans on the road (who can still put up points), NYG on the road and not to mention that pound for pound, the NFC East is always a tougher game then the AFC South. But you just can't go on one win AT HOME against Green Bay as the basis for them not having a creampuff schedule. I know I can't prove it, but Indy tanked to 2-14 IMO.

Beating Green Bay is a good feather in his cap, but when you have 3-9 Tenneessee twice, 3-9 Jacksonville twice (he did lose to them), 2-10 KC, 3-9 Cleveland, 6-6 fading Minnesota, 5-7 Miami, 5-7 Buffalo, lost to the NYJ (was creamed) and 4-8 Detroit, that doesn't look as daunting. I know we've lost to Carolina, the Rams and have beaten the same Minnesota team he has. But we've had to play Pittsburgh on the road, 11-1 Atlanta, 7-5 Cincy, 6-6 TB, 5-7 New Orleans on the road (who can still put up points), NYG on the road and not to mention that pound for pound, the NFC East is always a tougher game then the AFC South. But you just can't go on one win AT HOME against Green Bay as the basis for them not having a creampuff schedule. I know I can't prove it, but Indy tanked to 2-14 IMO.

You are 100% right in everything you said. That wasn't a 2-14 team they had last year, one year removed from being a 10 win team for what 12 years?

They had to try hard to get that #1 pick and they did. Now they are playing their asses off and getting wins against a weak schedule and Luck is putting up his numbers against weak pass defenses too.

If you listen to Cowherd much you quickly realize he is like the kid in school that was in constant need of attention. He will say anything to get a rise out of someone. He will also think of the most contrary position to take on an issue for the same purpose. :giantsuck::dallasuck:eaglesuck

Exactly, he just says something so you will react to it and it gets him page views/listeners. Typical shock jock. Because he is in sports he can get away with being wrong. On the flip side, most people in sports will have a difficult time talking extensively about all players because if you think about it, how can they watch all the games. They cant, there isnt enough time in the day for them to do that. So everyone to some extent is going to be talking about stuff they didnt fully watch. Same with us and andrew luck, you watch a few games of the person when you happen to get the chance and then you try and extrapolate some sort of guess or conclusion from the statistics of how they're playing

Problem is, a lot of Luck's decisions, are the wrong ones (16 INT, 5 fumbles). He leads the NFL in turnovers.

Colin Coward says a lot of things against the grain to get people talking and keep himself relevant... but, you are correct in your Luck assessment... Colts throw a lot... he;s going to get yards... he throws well, but he;s mistake prone. I imagine it'll decrease as the years go on, but Coward is off his rocker on purpose.

Am I the only one that thinks that Luck is incredibly overrated for no real tangible reason?

Can't hold a candle to Luck? Are you joking? If anything it looks like Luck can't hold a candle to RG3, it certainly looks that way on the numbers sheet.

I listen to some of the herd pretty frequently since he replaced kornheiser. Like any other radio guy, I agree with some of his opinions, and others I think he is way off base on. He has shown a lot of love over the years for dullass and Romo sits to pee......he was also on the vick bandwagon way back when mike was in atlanta, but it is funny to hear him dismiss vick as a qb since he came out of prison and went to philly.

Even before the season began, of the rookie qbs, he hyped luck and tannehill. He claimed that rgiii was small in stature and that the league was trendind towards bigger qbs like the other 2......even though rodgers is about same size as rgiii. He gave the skins minimum love prior to the game vs dullass. Today, I listened to a lot of his show driving back from dc. And, while he would praise rgiii on one hand, he would then tell his audience about how good our d is compared to the colts.....he would mention that luck does more with less on offense (and no running game). Basically, to me, it sounded like luck was called upon to do it all himself, while rgiii has other playmakers, and coaches, who are in large part responsible for his success. To me, some backhanded compliments.

But, cowherd did not play football, nor does he analyze tape. He is entitled to his opinion, but I pay more attention to analysts like gruden, jaws, dilfer, young, ditka...... luck, rgiii, wilson and maybe tannehill should give the league exciting qb play to watch for the next decade at least. In the end, this qb class may ngo down as one of the best ever. As a lifelong skin fan, I am certainly very satisfied with who our starting qb is.......regardless of which mediot tries to imply differently.

Am I the only one that thinks that Luck is incredibly overrated for no real tangible reason?

Can't hold a candle to Luck? Are you joking? If anything it looks like Luck can't hold a candle to RG3, it certainly looks that way on the numbers sheet.

People are still brainwashed by the tons of sports media that claimed Luck was the second coming for the last two years. Tons drank the kool-aid before he even took a snap. After being hit with that for two+ years, you have some still in that mold of thinking. Plus you have those who can't admit they are wrong.

True. But my comment was to the poster that was saying he only has 8 wins because of who he's played (creampuffs, was the word he used). Obviously the Packers are not that.

Both of them have also lost to bad teams. Colts lost to Jags. We lost to Panthers.

The Packers looks like creampuffs last Sunday, but yeah I see where you're going.

I don't understand why people give any credence to these guys.

Sure you do. :D

But many of us never get totally used to, and accepting of, the knowledge that we all do/think a ton of dumb **** :pfft:--some just more than others (in degree and quantity). :cool:

Washington ranks no.9 in the NFL's DMA (Designated Market Area). Indy is no.25.

That's a pretty absurd statement from the Cow (if anything, I'd say even), so I'm guessing he's just playing the "Listen to me as I continue to be controversial" angle with the bigger market. I'm sure that if we had Luck and Indy had RGIII, he would switch that around. He's just ridiculous most times (especially with us) that it's too obvious.

If you listen to Cowherd much you quickly realize he is like the kid in school that was in constant need of attention. He will say anything to get a rise out of someone. He will also think of the most contrary position to take on an issue for the same purpose. :giantsuck::dallasuck:eaglesuck

That's his job. It drives ratings. I believe he's actually said as much somewhere. Many of us have fallen into his trap.

I have no problem with someone making an argument for either player. Andrew Luck has certainly changed that team and has them competing for the playoffs with a better record then we have even though it was pretty unanimous that we had the better overall team coming into the year (injuries have obviously put a huge dent in that - not sure of their injury situation).

But to make a definitive statement and say that not only is Andrew Luck definitely the better player but that RG3 can't even hold a candle to him is complete idiocy. I realize the definitive statement is going to get him more attention but it's also going to seriously impact your credibility/integrity as a "reporter." I'm well aware that Cowherd has very little of that to begin with, but still...

Archived