Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Colin Cowherd: RG3 can't hold a candle to Andrew Luck

SanfordJay

Griffin has to make reads/decisions on most of our RUNNING plays. So, even if Luck is dropping back more often, he might not be having to think through as many reads as Griffin is during the course of a game.

Like Griffin said last night, if you're indecisive on the zone read your head will be taken off. It's as legitimate a read as any pass.

Anyone consider the O-line's roll in this mystical "one read" offense? When the pocket breaks down, he has to either 1) throw the ball to his primary, 2) throw to his check down, or 3) pull the ball down and run. Wasn't the line a weak point coming into the season?

I think Luck is going to be a very good QB, but it irks me that I keep seeing analysts say things like Cowherd has said in regards to Luck vs. RG3. Cowherd isn't the only one.

Honestly, RG3 is hands down the more electric player. Andrew Luck has thrown 16 INTs to Griffin's 4. So what if Luck has thrown a lot more passes. I saw a stat somewhere that Luck leads the league in overall turnovers and has the leagues worst QB completion percentage. There is more to it than just comparing win-loss records. Besides, I don't think the Colts were nearly as bad as their record indicated last year. Suck for Luck anyone? Tanking? I remember reading Colt forums last year to where they were melting down when they were ahead in a game because they didn't want to lose draft position. The Colts have had a soft schedule too.

It's all good. The Redskins have haters. Most of the haters are trying to make themselves feel better by saying stuff like "the league will catch up with their gimmic offense" or "RG3 can't last taking hits". First of all, the league will not be catching up with the offense because RG3 can do it all. I remember Tebow discussions where people were saying, "man, if he could pass, he'd be a legend". Well, RG3 can do it all. He's deadly accurate and can kill you with his legs. He's pretty much impossible to defend against. To the second point about taking hits, RG3 hasn't been running the ball like he was during the first part of the season. After the Atlanta game, he hasn't taken crushing hits running the ball like he was. Last night, the biggest hits he took were in the pocket, which many QBs take. He has been much more careful running the ball compared to the beginning of the season. At the beginning of the season, I was also concern with the hits he was taking because he was running the ball like he was Clinton Portis. Since the Atlanta game, most of his runs are pretty much the same as any other mobile type QB, he just peels off bigger chunks of yards due to his speed before sliding or getting out of bounds.

No. It would just make you wrong.:)

You can make a case for both RG3 or Luck winning the ROY. But I'm not gonna put Wilson in that conversation just yet. Wilson has been fantastic. Especially the last month or so. But he's not getting any credit from me for beating the Packers. So when I grade him up against RG3 and Luck, he has one less TD pass, one more INT, one less win.

You don't think anyone can make a case for Wilson out playing Luck? Let me try.

Just look at yesterday, against the Bears defense on the road. His team was down late, but not because he had given up multiple turnovers. He had none against a defense that forces a ton. He then stepped up and drove his team down field in the 4th to tie the game, and came right back out and drove his team down field to win the game.

Basically, Wilson has shown the same clutch factor as Luck this year, but without as many mistakes. He has had 7 games without throwing an INT and 5 without any turnovers including fumbles. Luck has only had 3 games without an INT and 2 without turning the ball over.

Wilson also has one more passing TD than Luck with half as many INT's. Other than passing yards, Wilson's number are more impressive.

In games against the same opponent:

Minnesota- Wilson(Win) 3TDs, 0INTs, 173yds Luck(Win) 2TDs, 0INTs, 224yds

Greenbay-Wilson(Win) 2TDs, 0INTs, 130yds Luck(Win) 2TDs, 1INT, 362 yds

Miami- Wilson(Loss) 2TDs, 0 INTs, 224yds Luck(Win) 2TDs, 0INTs, 433yds

Detroit- Wilson(Loss) 2TDs, 1INT, 236yds Luck(Win) 4 TDs, 3INTs, 391yds

Jets- Wilson(Win) 2TDs, 0INTs, 188 yds Luck(Loss) 0TDs, 2INTs 280yds

Bears- Wilson(Win) 2TDs, 0INTs, 293yds Luck(Loss) 1TD, 3INTs, 309yds

New England- Wilson(Win) 3TDs, 0INTs, 293 Yds Luck(Loss) 2TDs, 3INTs, 334 Yds

Total- Wilson(5-2) 16TDs, 1INT, 1537yds Luck(4-3) 13TDs, 12INTs 2333yds

That's against the same opponents. Who looks better? And I watched all of these games as well if the numbers aren't enough for you.

Their remaining opponents were:

Wilson- Arizona, Dallas, St. Louis, Carolina, San Fran

Luck- Jacksonville, Cleveland, Tennessee, Jacksonville, Buffalo

You can DEFINITELY make a case that Wilson has outplayed Luck this year, though. Other than listening to what sports media tells us, I don't see how anyone can be so dismissive of the idea.

It's a stupid argument. As some have said, a lot of the throws RG3 is asked to make don't call for him to make a lot of progressions. The one last night to Garcon over the middle is a perfect example. RG3 is simply asked to fake it to Morris to draw up the LBs to the line of scrimmage and then hit Garcon (or whatever WR) in the spot over the middle they just vacated.

Cowherd and a lot of these guys clearly don't watch many Redskins games, or any games for that matter. That's why I don't really value anything they have to say.

I agree, it's a stupid argument. If the one read is almost always open, what's the problem? Like he's supposed to make progressions for the fun of it. lol

He talks about the local meatballs, but the national guys don't (and can't) watch all the games. Unless they're Jaws or Merrill hanging out at NFL Films all week doing nothing but watching tape, most of those guys are flying by the seat of their pants.

Let's face facts, shall we? Andrew Luck is NOT having a better year than Griffin III. Andrew Luck has doesn't possess a better completion percentage than Griffin III. Andrew Luck has thrown 4 times as many INTs than Griffin III. Andrew Luck's below average QB rating of 76.1 isn't any close to Griffin III's above average QB rating of 104.4.

Who can't touch who with a ten foot pole?

Let's face facts, shall we? Andrew Luck is NOT having a better year than Griffin III. Andrew Luck has doesn't possess a better completion percentage than Griffin III. Andrew Luck has thrown 4 times as many INTs than Griffin III. Andrew Luck's below average QB rating of 76.1 isn't any close to Griffin III's above average QB rating of 104.4.

Who can't touch who with a ten foot pole?

I think some just chose to believe that Luck is simply better because certain media member say so? Luck is playing good.. great considering he is a rookie but stats don't lie. Again the argument that he is being asked to throw so much doesn't work for me... if he is the next coming, shouldn't he have way more TDs than RG with all those throws? I watched every snap of his against Detroit and he looked very average. He got the win - so we can give him kudos for coming back and getting the "W"... but he is NOT out playing RG or even Wilson to this point IMO.

Total- Wilson(5-2) 16TDs, 1INT, 1537yds Luck(4-3) 13TDs, 12INTs 2333yds.

Wilson Vs Luck against the same teams. = OUCH!

Here's the difference between the two. Luck was not thrown into a pressure situation being asked to turn around a team in one season and make them a contender.

For the past five seasons this fan base, sports media, coaching staff etc etc has felt the 'Skins could have competed and won a lot of the close games if they had a franchise QB. RGIII was drafted and the expectation was that he could turn this team around fast.

Luck on the other hand is not out there with these expectations. Also, Luck is not throwing 50 times a game because they want him to, it's because he HAS TO. They have no running game.

Here is the other difference. Luck has the luxury to sit back in the pocket and toss the ball around. RGIII does not. When RGIII makes a mistake, it could cost the team a game because this defense is not good enough to pick up those mistakes.

You constantly see Luck throw an INT for every TD pass he throws. Watch him over the course of an entire game and he makes some downright horrible throws and even worse decisions. That's fine, he is a rookie, it's supposed to happen, he is going to be great. But facts are facts. The weight of Indy is not on Luck the way the weight of the DC area is on RGIII's shoulders.

If RGIII was throwing the ball 40-50 times a game, his stats would inflate by a lot. But why would the coaches have him do that when there is no need to do it?

Claiming RGIII can only go to his 1st read is also ridiculous. And it reeks of someone who is only watching ESPN News :15 highlight shows rather than actual game film.

Let's play a game! Tell me which of the following is Andrew Luck and which one is Carson Palmer.

Quarterback A - 305/503 60.6% 3,532yards 7.02avg 20TD 13INT 84.4QBR

Quarterback B - 279/503 55.5% 3,596yards 7.15avg 17TD 16INT 76.1QBR

One of them is a QB no one would even consider putting in an elite category right now and the other is simply amazing. Right?

Luck and RG3 have justified their draft positions. I think the announcers in last night's game said it best - - they are two very different QBs. RG3 would not thrive in the Colts offense and Luck wouldn't be able to run the Skins' offense effectively. Luck will never be able to run the current version of the Skins offense. But, RG3 will learn over time to do well as a drop back passer. We are happy and the Colts fans are happy.

Here's the difference between the two. Luck was not thrown into a pressure situation being asked to turn around a team in one season and make them a contender.

For the past five seasons this fan base, sports media, coaching staff etc etc has felt the 'Skins could have competed and won a lot of the close games if they had a franchise QB. RGIII was drafted and the expectation was that he could turn this team around fast.

Luck on the other hand is not out there with these expectations. Also, Luck is not throwing 50 times a game because they want him to, it's because he HAS TO. They have no running game.

Here is the other difference. Luck has the luxury to sit back in the pocket and toss the ball around. RGIII does not. When RGIII makes a mistake, it could cost the team a game because this defense is not good enough to pick up those mistakes.

You constantly see Luck throw an INT for every TD pass he throws. Watch him over the course of an entire game and he makes some downright horrible throws and even worse decisions. That's fine, he is a rookie, it's supposed to happen, he is going to be great. But facts are facts. The weight of Indy is not on Luck the way the weight of the DC area is on RGIII's shoulders.

If RGIII was throwing the ball 40-50 times a game, his stats would inflate by a lot. But why would the coaches have him do that when there is no need to do it?

Claiming RGIII can only go to his 1st read is also ridiculous. And it reeks of someone who is only watching ESPN News :15 highlight shows rather than actual game film.

I would question the premise here about pressure. You don't think Luck had mounds of pressure as the #1 overall pick following Peyton Manning? Hyped for 2 solid years as the best QB to come out in a generation. While our fanbase was starved, their fanbase was spoiled rotten. Luck is out there with differenct expectations, but big expectations nonetheless. I don't think he had any less pressure than RG3.

RG3 has a higher Total QBR and and Quaterback rating than Luck

He has played at a higher level more consistently than Luck

He has more TD and way less turnovers

He's played well in prime time and against Divisonal opponents.

He's played well at home and on the road.

He is more efficient and dynamic

He is more accurate

He is tougher to gameplan against

Luck has been playing great and he will be great, but he makes way too many mistakes

He just isnt on the same level as RG3. Hell, Russel Wilson has been playing better than Andrew Luck.

Russell Wilson is not in the argument, because he doesn't have the "shine" that Luck and RG3 have. It was Griffin vs. Luck for the heisman, for the number one pick, etc. The media is still feeding that beast. Should Wilson be in the conversation? Absolutely. The come back he orchestrated in Chicago was unreal.

Wilson won't win it, but make no mistake...he is a baller. I watched him play a ton in college, and he is doing the same thing in Seattle that he did at NC State. He extends plays, values the football, throws well on the run, and he's smart. He's the guy that doesn't wow you with measurables, but at the end of the day...he wins football games.

Isn't also interesting that no one really hates Luck? I mean, even the people who like RG3 better don't really hate on Luck.

Funny thing, I don't hate Luck or the Colts, but I find myself wanting to root for them to lose because of all the praise he gets for winning games against creampuffs.

Archived