Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Colin Cowherd: RG3 can't hold a candle to Andrew Luck

SanfordJay

The Junkies were debating this while I was driving in. The main Luck points were:

1) He throws more, impacting completion percentage. The example was late in the Detroit game when he had to throw a bunch of incompletions to come back from a 12 point lead.

2) RG3 benefits from a much stronger running game, making his job easier and allowing him to be more efficient.

I don't want to take ANYTHING away from Luck because I think he's doing a great job. But, I don't like how so many people are suddenly building in excuses for him. I think his body of work is impressive on its own without needing to play the what if game. So, here are my counter-points to these two arguments:

1) Luck was trailing by 12 with 4 minutes left in part because of his 3 interceptions earlier in the game. So, I find it difficult to give someone a pass for being in a situation he helped to create.

2) Griffin benefits from a running game of which he is a major component. It's not like our running game is to turn and hand the ball to Morris. Alfred has been great, but Griffin has 700+ yards too.

I just think the debate is pointless because it devolves into these nuanced, nit-picky things. Griffin, Luck, and Wilson are playing great. Wheeden and Tannehill have shown flashes that wouldn't be overshadowed most years. It's fun to see so many great QBs coming into the league.

I just think the debate is pointless because it devolves into these nuanced, nit-picky things. Griffin, Luck, and Wilson are playing great. Wheeden and Tannehill have shown flashes that wouldn't be overshadowed most years. It's fun to see so many great QBs coming into the league.

Pretty much. I've also heard all kinds of things as to why RG3 is being successful & is making less mistakes than Luck. The coaching & system (aka a system QB), he's a game manager, he can't make all of the throws, etc. etc. It really is pointless. People will convince themselves of whatever they want it seems lol.

Biggest difference betweem Luck and RG3, to me, is that teams are legit SCARED to play Rg3. I haven't heard any other teams say they are scared to play Luck. RG3 is such a threat, much more so than Luck b/c of his legs. Guarantee if the Giants played the Colts, they wouldn't be saying "I'm mad at the Football Gods for making us play him" like they did against us.

The thing that annoys the HELL out of me is that people are dismissing RG3 because we use the pistol. They think its a gimmick and that it isnt a real offense. I dont understand the mentality that football cant evolve any longer. Shanahan has adapted the pistol to be used with his STANDARD offense. The pistol is used as a base formation to run his STANDARD plays because it forces the defense to have to commit at the snap and greatly limits their ability to get a pre snap read on the play. It also gives the QB and the RB options once the ball has been snapped to counter what the defense is committing to. People like Cowturd and Prisco say RG3 isnt playing "real QB" because hes not in the standard set and doesnt throw the ball 45 times a game. What a joke sports journalism has become. Its a bunch of arrogant jackasses that just tout their prognostications and their opinion of the status quo. Their is no real journalism or objective analysis at all.

The thing that annoys the HELL out of me is that people are dismissing RG3 because we use the pistol. They think its a gimmick and that it isnt a real offense.

And even funnier about this is that if you really look at it, the Pistol and the variations we run of it are pretty much glorified single back, power I and offset I formations. The killer is the fact that RG3 is dual threat out of all of them.

...All the same, it's still neck and neck between RGIII and Luck IMO.
HYPOTHETICAL: You are a defensive coordinator. The supporting cast of both quarterbacks is of equal quality. Would you find it more of a problem to game plan for Luck or RG3? In other words, which represents the greater threat on his own?

I love Colin's show. He praises RG3 daily but he still likes Luck better. Why does this make Colin a hater?

i'll be honest, the only thing colin (and just about every other sports talking head) knows about sports. is they cant play them . i mean they are fine at reading stats and then coming up with talking points about how the won lost doesn't equate out to the stats. or that a team has a good d backfield because they give up very few passing yards per game, but yet give up 300 on the ground.. basically they are college educated people trying to look like they know what in the hell they are talking about

I'll say one thing about Luck right now: he can't be turning the ball over three times a game and expect to win in the playoffs. Romo sits to pee couldn't do it, even with all the flashy regular season comebacks and a talented team around him. Luck won't either. He needs to rein that **** in now.

I'll say one thing about Luck right now: he can't be turning the ball over three times a game and expect to win in the playoffs. Romo sits to pee couldn't do it, even with all the flashy regular season comebacks and a talented team around him. Luck won't either. He needs to rein that **** in now.

If he was actually playing a real schedule instead of this creampuff one the nfl gave him, there is no way he would even be .500 with all those turnovers.

If I had a vote I would be totally on the fence on who to cast it for for ROY... They are both amazing. I would probably flip a coin and say RG3. I you asked me who will be better in 10 years, I'd flip a coin and say Luck.

I know what you're trying to say, but you know that makes absolutely no sense right?

OK, I'm going to say it.

If Andrew Luck weren't white, no one would be making excuses for him. Not in this set of circumstances, anyway (other high picks, successful rookie Qbs to compare him to)

I totally agree. If RG3 were white, nobody in their right mind would be arguing that Luck is having a better season. I really think some sports guys feel threatened that a black mobile QB is playing better than the guy who was supposed to be the most pro ready QB ever. If Luck didn't have such a lackluster schedule, it wouldn't even be debated who was better. Hell if their stats were reversed, no one would be arguing RG3 was better. I don't know how someone can say with a straight face that Luck should be considered for MVP while leading the NFL in turnovers and playing one of the easiest schedules I've ever seen

I think the race angle is ridiculous. Let's not go down that road simply because a radio guy likes Luck better. I'm as big of a supporter as rg3 as anyone but I also realize Luck is a great QB as well. They do run different systems and like Gruden said on Mon night, both are suited well to them.

I think the race angle is ridiculous. Let's not go down that road simply because a radio guy likes Luck better. I'm as big of a supporter as rg3 as anyone but I also realize Luck is a great QB as well. They do run different systems and like Gruden said on Mon night, both are suited well to them.

Not ridiculous at all. I believe as well that if Luck had RG3's stats and record, and RG3 had Luck's stats and record, they STILL would be claiming Luck as king, and RG3, as "just another one of "them" that won't make it in the NFL." smh

from PFF (week 13)

1. Robert Griffin III, QB, WAS (+28.3)

He’s already pretty special right? That wasn’t his finest performance as a Redskin, but he got the job done once again. Continues to amaze in what will surely go down as one of the greatest rookie years of all time.

2. Russell Wilson, QB, SEA (+23.1)

Lost in all the debate about RG3 and Luck is just how well Wilson has been playing. His late-game heroics against Chicago should change that. He’s currently our seventh ranked quarterback on the year.

3. Andrew Luck, QB, IND (+4.8)

I’m a little bored of all the talk of his winning record as the complete measure of a quarterback. It’s too simplistic a view to break down individual performance. You can spin it however you want, but Luck was terrible for most of the game against Detroit. Against better teams that won’t do.

Not ridiculous at all. I believe as well that if Luck had RG3's stats and record, and RG3 had Luck's stats and record, they STILL would be claiming Luck as king, and RG3, as "just another one of "them" that won't make it in the NFL." smh

The only part race plays in this is perhaps the Cam Newton/Vick thing where you think a black QB who can run won't last and can't develop into pocket passers (even though RGIII already is). But I don't think people are choosing Luck because he's white. That's a huge statement to put into people's mouths.

If you really believe that people would be saying a QB that's takes over a 1 win team and already has them at 8 wins and headed toward a playoff spot won't make it NFL, I'll go ahead and bow out of this discussion.

You really have nothing to back up the treatment of RGIII as racist, he is on just about every commercial and is talked about glowingly. He is admired for his attitude and work ethic, something race baiters always alluded to in the past. I really think you should drop this line or come with some hard evidence backing it up.

---------- Post added December-5th-2012 at 10:55 AM ----------

Colin Cowherd hates black people.

Prove that. Seriously, either stop that line or prove it to be.

I'm really not trying to race bait. But tons of folks have straight up said "RG3 will be another Vick, another bust who ends up out of the league in 5 years." No one ever compares him to how great he can be ala Steve Young, but rather just another black QB who hasn't lived up to expectations.

Archived