Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Colin Cowherd: RG3 can't hold a candle to Andrew Luck

SanfordJay

Can anyone tell me why Mr Colin Cowherd flat out won't give the Redskins any credit for anything. I just heard him on NY ESPN.....all he could say was that RG3 can't hold a candle to Andrew Luck.

His reasoning is that RG3 always goes to his first read, while AL has the ability to progress thru all of his reads before making a decision. Supposedly, RG3 can't do that yet.

Also, AL is being asked to take the game onto his shoulders and win....example 50 attempts per game (a good way to justify 21 turnovers 16 ints/5 fumbles).

Just wondering......

I say do not care. There are always going to be critics regarding who is the best, who is better, etc. It is all perception which makes it somewhat subjective. When you look at the numbers in terms of protecting the football, scoring, strength of schedule, it is pretty clear that RG3 edges out Luck. The argument is that RG3 is not a "pure" pocket passer. Now he could be, BUT why should he given that he can keep Defenses on their heels trying to figure out what he can do based upon the number of looks and variables he brings to the game. He has so many variables to him that analysts can't get their heads around him and assume something is "off" and will eventually be exposed, thus the comparisons to Cam Newton, who by the way, is not as talented or versatile as RG3. I think these debates will end in the second to third years of these QB because the talent of both will be evident, although I suspect RG3 will continue to edge him out a bit and that will be noticed and finally accepted.

You've got to understand Colin Cowherd. He creates controversy to get listeners mad and they want to keep listening. That in turn creates ratings. He even goes as far as making himself believe his made-up statements so that he's always on the same page with himself. Even though I don't really care for him, he is smart when it comes to marketing his program.

I couldn't have said it better. So what if he's a "Skins hater". People are so jaded. He likes teams that win and have been winning over the past 5 years. That's who he praises and deservedly so for those teams.

yesterday he also said the redskins look like a playoff team so who knows..... the way i see it though, and no offense to anyone on this board but people have gotten really mad about talk show hosts saying how bad we are for the last 20 years calling them haters. well one up until this year we pretty much have been and i bet there are twice as many people on this board who have done the same.

Bottom line, I still think Luck is and will be a good QB but arguing that he has been a more effective player than RG3 simply because his team has a better record is overlooking a MOUNTAIN of evidence to the contrary. Given that there are 53 players on a team and players only play on one side of the ball, there is only so much one player can do to affect the outcome of the game. RG3 can't play cornerback or safety. As such, the most you can ask a QB to do is produce points efficiently and avoid turning the ball over and giving scoring opportunities to the other offense. It is extremely hard for anyone to reason that Luck has been better in those areas than RG3 has. I have every confidence that if we switched defenses and schedules with the Colts, we are 9-3 or better with a few lopsided wins.

:applause:

Wow. Amazing & very well put together post. I nominate you to replace Coward. He is one of few people I truly despise.

---------- Post added December-6th-2012 at 12:10 PM ----------

yesterday he also said the redskins look like a playoff team so who knows..... the way i see it though, and no offense to anyone on this board but people have gotten really mad about talk show hosts saying how bad we are for the last 20 years calling them haters. well one up until this year we pretty much have been and i bet there are twice as many people on this board who have done the same.

Well, Coward stands out for me. He isn't just a "hater", he is hateful. I used to listen to him prior to Taylor's death. 3 solid hours, 4 total topics. He repeats himself over & over & over & over & over & over.....& over again. He spent 1 solid hour talking about whether or not Roger Clemens' wife took steroids. Who cares?

But when he said that Sean Taylor essentially "had it comin'" when he was murdered, that was when I stopped listening. At the time, I was so angry that he said that, I would have attacked him physically if I ever saw him in public. I wouldn't have even had to think about it. I would have just walked up & started punching him maliciously, hoping to hospitalize him, knowing I would go to jail & thinking it would be worth it.

But, times have changed & I have changed (thank You, Lord) & even though I still don't like him (I can't even stand the sound of his voice), I just choose not to listen & try to influence others to do the same. The less people that listen, the sooner he gets taken off the air. I get tired of the half-informed dinglelings getting behind a mic & basing their whole opinion on half the story, half the numbers, rather than looking at the whole thing. Any one of us could do just as good a job as these bozos.

See what JPP said about facing Drew Brees after facing RGIII?

I guaran****ingtee you nobody says anything like that about Andrew Luck this year.

Defenses probably WANT to play Luck because of all those picks and fumbles he gives up. Dude has thrown at least 3 pick sixes this season.

Problem is that probably 12/16 games are against awful defenses

Oh man I've been seeing another terrible baseless argument lately, on the Giants boards especially. Apparently RG3 "can't read a defense".

From vaGiants boards:

"We know you love RG3....but if you honestly think he is good at reading defenses then wow. I really don't know what to say. "

"Anyone hear him speak during the post game interview? Let's just say his voice don't match his skin tone. He sounds like a white guy lol.

I think he's a great quarterback, however, he doesn't deserve the attention he's getting. I think once he learns to read defenses better as YA stated, he's going to keep taking a beating. "

" like RG III

but he will one day have to learn to read defenses

every play they run is based off the option , play action and the zone blocking scheme

go take a look at the Redskins 3rd and long percentage.......

if this kid had to drop back and read defenses the way Andrew Luck does in his offense he would get killed

at some point you need to read the coverage and throw the ball down the field

RG III can physically make all the throws......but he cannot yet read defenses and sooner or later he will have to learn or he will end up an injured mess

this is not college ....this is the NFL"

Are these people stupid? Bitter? Willfully ignorant?

Apparently RG3 can't read defenses and doesn't throw down field, even though RG3 has higher YPA and both of their yards per completed catch is 12.2

his radio show is the best... hes entitled to his opinion... my only argument is that he should have pointed out that Lucks more passing attempts leads to more picks, that both he and griffin have the same amount of TD passes. that being said, he praises griffin almost daily and just says things we all wonder in the back of our minds.

I don't know how you can say that with the name you're going by on here and what Cowherd said about ST when he died. You do realize he was the first to play up the "ST died because of thug life" angle right? Do you also realize that he has been called on it since, refused to apologize, and actually tried to defend his comments? Do you realize that is the biggest reason most Skins fans dislike him?

His radio show is only "the best" if you like turning your brain off and listening to shock jock comments about as deep as a puddle.

Sorry, but I don't wonder if Luck is vastly better than Griffin. They are both great talents and the can't hold a candle comment, applied to either, is wrong.

Cowherd is a POS and doesn't deserve the attention this thread is giving him.

I don't know how you can say that with the name you're going by on here and what Cowherd said about ST when he died. You do realize he was the first to play up the "ST died because of thug life" angle right? Do you also realize that he has been called on it since, refused to apologize, and actually tried to defend his comments? Do you realize that is the biggest reason most Skins fans dislike him?

His radio show is only "the best" if you like turning your brain off and listening to shock jock comments about as deep as a puddle.

Sorry, but I don't wonder if Luck is vastly better than Griffin. They are both great talents and the can't hold a candle comment, applied to either, is wrong.

Cowherd is a POS and doesn't deserve the attention this thread is giving him.

well i hope that made you feel better. anyways, i am aware of his comments and i dont agree with them and i was bothered when i heard it, but i got over it. i would also not say hes an idiot, hes more successful than most, and if you listen to his NFL blazing 5 picks hes practically dominating the NFL against the spread. we are all entitled to our own opinions which your 10,323 of them proves.

Apparently RG3 "can't read a defense".From vaGiants boards: "We know you love RG3....but if you honestly think he is good at reading defenses then wow. I really don't know what to say. ""Anyone hear him speak during the post game interview? Let's just say his voice don't match his skin tone. He sounds like a white guy lol.I think he's a great quarterback, however, he doesn't deserve the attention he's getting. I think once he learns to read defenses better as YA stated, he's going to keep taking a beating. "" like RG IIIbut he will one day have to learn to read defensesevery play they run is based off the option , play action and the zone blocking schemego take a look at the Redskins 3rd and long percentage.......if this kid had to drop back and read defenses the way Andrew Luck does in his offense he would get killedat some point you need to read the coverage and throw the ball down the fieldRG III can physically make all the throws......but he cannot yet read defenses and sooner or later he will have to learn or he will end up an injured messthis is not college ....this is the NFL"blah blah blahdiddyblah

That is so mindbogglingly stupid that it made my grandma cry (she died in '92). I mean, I can see the fans elsewhere trying to find something, anything, to slam Wundergriff with but this? Seriously?!? I am rendered speechless, and trust me, that just don't happen.

You know what the worst part of this **** is? Luck has one quality win all year, against Green Bay. The same Green Bay team that was just demolished by the Giants who we should be 2-0 against if it wasn't for a last minute 80 yard td pass. The Colts have 8 wins against teams who are a combined 38-58 (.396). We have 6 wins against teams who are a combined 33-39(.458). Of our 6 losses, only ONE was by more than a td. Of Indy's 4 losses, 3 were by 20 points or more. I expect the Colts to get throttled by the Texans in 2 of the last 3 weeks and the media can finally start talking about how baby soft Indy's schedule has been instead of how amazing 8 wins is for that team.

I don't even know if you could call there win against green bay a quality win. The packers are not the same packers team as previous years. Heck, Minny almost bet them without Harvin

Comparing these two quarterbacks is like comparing Apples to Oranges. They have completely different styles.. Comparing them is an act in futility.. LUCK is very good but he does not have the same ground attack that RGIII has. The Redskins can run the ball more effectively making them air it out less. Not because RGII cant air it out he simply doesnt have too as much

well i hope that made you feel better. anyways, i am aware of his comments and i dont agree with them and i was bothered when i heard it, but i got over it. i would also not say hes an idiot, hes more successful than most, and if you listen to his NFL blazing 5 picks hes practically dominating the NFL against the spread. we are all entitled to our own opinions which your 10,323 of them proves.

Sorry, but I have this thing called team loyalty where I don't "get over" someone dragging a recently deceased player's name through the mud before all the facts are out and then, when the facts show that player died protecting his family, being so egotistical and callous that they not only won't apologize or retract, but still try to defend what they say.

"Oh, but I think he's entertaining and he's popular" big deal. Skip Bayless is successful too, and he too is an idiot. Cowherd can correctly call the Superbowl winner in July for the rest of his life, he's still an idiot for his comments on ST, for the shock jock comments he makes just for attention, and for his comments here. I don't care if his radio show is entertaining to some people. Those of us with dignity don't give a man the time of day when he is so caught up in himself he refuses to do the honorable thing and admit he was wrong for saying what he did about Taylor and then has the nerve to try and defend his comments anyways. That is the move of a classless idiot, and no self-respecting Redskins fan listens to him.

You put your opinions in a public forum then they are open for criticism, just like with you and me, just like with Cowherd on the radio, so the entitled to an opinion defense is bunk. We're all entitled to criticize publicly stated opinions, which this very site proves.

Sorry, but I have this thing called team loyalty where I don't "get over" someone dragging a recently deceased player's name through the mud before all the facts are out and then, when the facts show that player died protecting his family, being so egotistical and callous that they not only won't apologize or retract, but still try to defend what they say.

"Oh, but I think he's entertaining and he's popular" big deal. Skip Bayless is successful too, and he too is an idiot. Cowherd can correctly call the Superbowl winner in July for the rest of his life, he's still an idiot for his comments on ST, for the shock jock comments he makes just for attention, and for his comments here. I don't care if his radio show is entertaining to some people. Those of us with dignity don't give a man the time of day when he is so caught up in himself he refuses to do the honorable thing and admit he was wrong for saying what he did about Taylor and then has the nerve to try and defend his comments anyways. That is the move of a classless idiot, and no self-respecting Redskins fan listens to him.

You put your opinions in a public forum then they are open for criticism, just like with you and me, just like with Cowherd on the radio, so the entitled to an opinion defense is bunk. We're all entitled to criticize publicly stated opinions, which this very site proves.

elkabong, that response wasn't even fair. That's like RGIII in a footrace against Albert Haynesworth.

Okay, your problem is with Cowherd, not a poster that listens to him.

I used to listen to him for an hour every day on my lunch break and I enjoyed him. I can agree and disagree with people. He had the wrong opinion about Sean Taylor.

It's just radio, it's not a huge deal if I flip my channel to him for an hour or listen to the 90's alternative rock station for an hour. These guys aren't worth getting bent out of shape over.

Archived