Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Best Tv Shows That Were Cancelled To Early (Merged)

jobaga

Terriers on FX.

I loved this show. I was pretty upset when it got canceled. It was excellent.

---------- Post added December-13th-2012 at 11:19 PM ----------

Deadwood. Only lasted 2 seasons but should have been 10.

There was a full 12 episode season 3. It ends in a kind of weird place. Resolution in a way. But the show was also about to get huge in scope considering who they brought in for that final season. With enough time having passed now, I'm almost glad it ended where it did. Almost.

• 2 weeks later...
I loved "Yes, Dear" I thought it was the funniest show on TV, and still watch all the reruns....plus jummy is an avid Redskins fan and is always rocking their gear in the show!

Yeah I think they all were since they moved from DC to LA. Jimmy and Greg use to talk about beating the Cowboys all the time. I was sad to find out the character for Jimmy was really a Patriots fan. Such a shame lol.

I watched Leverage's final episode, and apparently I am of the small but loyal audience for the show--which surely has varied in quality over the season. It never sucked, nor was ever truly excellent, just generally pretty good, with interesting characters, excellent cast, and decent scripts. These days a five year run is far from a failure, so I can't say it was really too early overall, but I'll kind of miss it. I admit that being the audio guy, I also found the sound engineering was superb. Just listening to the background music and effects over a high quality system was always impressive.

I watched Leverage's final episode, and apparently I am of the small but loyal audience for the show--which surely has varied in quality over the season. It never sucked, nor was ever truly excellent, just generally pretty good, with interesting characters, excellent cast, and decent scripts. These days a five year run is far from a failure, so I can't say it was really too early overall, but I'll kind of miss it. I admit that being the audio guy, I also found the sound engineering was superb. Just listening to the background music and effects over a high quality system was always impressive.

Leverage was a real good show. It got a bit stale though since every con was basically a recycle after about season 3, but it was still a solid show. As you said, excellent character development, though I think they could have dove into Hardison a bit more.

Surprised to hear Last Resort got the axe. I thought it was going pretty well.

5. My wife and Kids (Could have went on for another 2 or 3 seasons)

4. Arrested Development

3. Terra Nova

2. Last Resort

1. Firefly

---------- Post added December-28th-2012 at 11:18 AM ----------

Leverage was a real good show. It got a bit stale though since every con was basically a recycle after about season 3, but it was still a solid show. As you said, excellent character development, though I think they could have dove into Hardison a bit more.

Surprised to hear Last Resort got the axe. I thought it was going pretty well.

I liked Last Resort the main problem is the show was on ABC. ABC never gives the new shows with average rateings a chance. One more show that just missed my list was criminal minds suspect behavior

• 3 weeks later...
Deadwood, Earth 2, Tera Nova, Jericho, Survivors, Persons Unknown, Sara Conner Chronicles, Heroes, Blue Mountain State, Flash Forward. The list could go on and on. All the good shows get cancelled yet **** like DWTS and American Idol stick around. Horrible.

Edit: Also liked the show Reaper and can't believe I forgot Dead Like Me. Also, The Black Donnellys and Sleeper Cell, which Showtime dropped, but it appears that they wanted to have a series that focuses on terrorist and cells, thus the birth of Homeland.

WOW! thats my list. and the networks are lazy.

Lifetime just cancelled Drop Dead Diva, which was a very good show, great writing and great acting. Well, except for the Kim Kardashian arc. Now they are running a new reality show, Double Divas or Double Ds as in double d and larger size bras and the women that wear them. Stupid replacement and I'm writing to them to let them know that their programming sucks.

[update: After watching the first few seconds of Double Divas, one woman actually said the word "jugs" to describe breasts. No, I will not watch that show.

In no particular order...

Firefly

Star Trek (original)

Fawlty Towers

Arrested Development

Twin Peaks

Twin Peaks is my #1. The way David Lynch ended it as a **** you to the network just sucks. Will be hanging from that cliff until the end of time. Was hoping that since they were trapped in the lodge for 20 some years they *might* have brought it back . Sadly, nope. We ended up getting Lost instead so I'm satisfied I guess.

What is a good length for a TV show? Some shows go on way to long. If a show can make it to the magic 5th season or get to 100 episodes( the magic number for syndication); then it has been successful. How long can shows keep up the quality after 5 years? Some shows that last that long struggle but then get good. It took Star Trek: Next Gen it's third season before it really got good and while it ended at 7 years; the quality was still good.

These networks are always looking for the next Lost, Sienfield, etc.... If they don't get the ratings in season 1, it's over. Of if they somehow get a season 2, they usually don't last. Jericho, Reaper are just 2. Personally, I think think the concept of networks( over the air, cable, pay cable, satellite, etc..) will eventually be obsolete. You will have a handful of channels by genre instead. All comedies on channel, drama on one channel, etc... Heck, it will probably just be direct to online only.

• 8 months later...

Archived