Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What is going to happen in Washington and Colorado with the legalization of marijuana?

Skinz4Life12

Given the shortfall most states experience and the universal distaste people have for paying taxes and those who raise taxes.. i don't see the problem.

It only makes sense to limit faceless profit machines from selling it to kids in such forms, because given the opportunity, most will.

Same reason they don't allow alcohol containers to look like kids drinks, and they quickly pull from shelves alcoholic items that are pointed towards younger people.

The only problem with that is that special interest groups stretch what "targeted at kids" really means.  If they come out with a cherry flavor for instance they'll point to that, because adults are apparently only supposed to like flavors like shoe leather and chimney ash.    

Oh yeah, because they are only doing it FOR THE MONEY from taxes.

You say that as if it's a bad thing, I don't see the issue? Colorado is such a hippie state, there's tens of thousands of people who smoke pot here. If so many people use drugs illegally anyway, why not just legalize it and tax the living **** out of it like Colorado did? An enormous chunk of that tax revenue goes to schools.

Now granted, I live in Colorado and still probably know/understand A LOT less than you do on the situation. But I don't see how legalizing pot, with tax money going to schools is a bad thing. Also, local cops don't have to waste their time with Joe schmoe who happens to have a joint in his pocket, which hurts nobody.

I have  my medical card in New Mexico and I'm very thankful that it's an option.  Really does work wonders for MS.  That said, the edibles are something to think about.  They work great, frankly a little too good, a half of a typical one is more than enough for me and I'm not a kid plus I know what's coming.  Took a whole one once and the heart palpitations were a little off putting to me, I can only imagine what that would be like for a kid, less weight and no mental preparation.  Wouldn't kill them though not that that is any real consolation. 

As medicine I see it very similar to the nasty pain meds as far as it needing to be kept away from kids, but a chocolate candy is much more appealing to a kid than in a pill.  I could live without them or make them myself if it were that big a deal.  They put it in capsules too by the way.

Growing your own is a lot more expensive and a lot more work than you would think, if you want your product to be decent at least it is.

As for special interest groups deciding what is appealing for a kid hard to argue with chocolate or other candies.  I use an ecig and I see the flavors I like which are fruit based (the tobacco really tastes like ass) already in the crosshairs of big tobacco for being appealing to children.  That's BS.  

Much better to have weed being legally sold with taxes being paid out of the profit than being illegally sold with smack/crack/guns/sex slaves being bought with the profit - and it's not close.

This. EXACTLY this.

Since marijuana has been legal here January 1st, there's been no influx of crime, no increase in car accidents because of stones drivers....the legalization of marijuana has worked very well so far. Hell, they even said on the news that "pot tourism" in Denver is slowly becoming a real thing, generating additional revenue for the city businesses.

This. EXACTLY this.

Since marijuana has been legal here January 1st, there's been no influx of crime, no increase in car accidents because of stones drivers....the legalization of marijuana has worked very well so far. Hell, they even said on the news that "pot tourism" in Denver is slowly becoming a real thing, generating additional revenue for the city businesses.

You know I just spent a couple of months in Denver. I don't smoke, haven't smoked in years and years (quit when I joined the Army, after I got out and tried to pick it back up, all it does is make me paranoid as ****. Spend hours trying to figure out if I'm actually breathing. Not fun). That said, I was around quite a few people who do. Hell, I think a vast majority of my acquaintances in Denver did. From my brother and roommates to my bosses and everyone in between.

So that said, as I've told you before, you are literally the ONLY person I know (of) who buys their weed legally at the store. Everyone still just gets it from their pusherman. Why? Because it's cheaper. So what exactly is taxing the hell out of it good for if it keeps people away?

I've always been pro-legalization but my time and experiences in Denver has really forced my to take a step back and rethink it. Not sure what to think now.

(I do still think that drugs should be decriminalized. ALL drugs. Addiction is a sickness. Locking people up and, more importantly in my opinion, attaching a lifelong stigma to their record is completely counterproductive.)

The only problem with that is that special interest groups stretch what "targeted at kids" really means.  If they come out with a cherry flavor for instance they'll point to that, because adults are apparently only supposed to like flavors like shoe leather and chimney ash.    

And this is exactly why we can't have nice things, because no matter what, one side AND the other will try to go for too much. 

When are people going to grow up?

~Bang

I saw that article about the brownies and such...I don't really get it.

Hold those people accountable same as you would for allowing them access to a firearm or alcohol.

Rated M for mature... certainly has little impact on video games children are allowed to play.

The Budweiser Dog and the Camel...Camel, certainly did not impact my decisions.

Why can't parents be responsible parents? That frustrates me more than any pot user or usage.

Let people smoke and ingest however they want.

Someone is going to have to explain the liquid weed though.

So GACOLB had his experiences...my guess is that it is cheaper because they grow it or buy it from legal growers before it gets accounted for.

Thus some of the growers are making money on both sides, paying no tax on that pre-sale.

I suspect the stuff Chew buys is so much better than the stuff you find on the street.

@ GAC, yeah, a lot of folks still buy from dealers to avoid the taxes.  I don't blame them, especially people who smoke a ton of weed.  I don't smoke all that often, maybe once or twice a week.  Just like some people have a beer or two a few days after work. 

So for the folks who buy mass quantities of earth, I could see why they prefer to still buy from dealers, as it saves quite a bit of money.  But I only buy the pre-rolled joints from the store, usually 2 or 3 will last me a month (the weed is so strong, i only hit a joint once or twice and put it out, a single joint lasts me a few weeks).  So I really only spend $30 or so a month on legal drugs. 

Plus, as Kosher said, I know the weed is top quality stuff.  All legal marijuana stores, like "The Green Solution" which is the only store I go to, are held to strict standards at their grow farms in and around Denver.  Their weed is tested and their facilities are inspected regularly by the state of Colorado.  All organic, no extra crap is added, etc.  Not that marijuana is ever really cut with crap to stretch the product like cocaine and heroin are, but I still like to know that the weed I'm smoking is pure and untainted....vs whatever the street stuff might be laced with.

You know I just spent a couple of months in Denver. I don't smoke, haven't smoked in years and years (quit when I joined the Army, after I got out and tried to pick it back up, all it does is make me paranoid as ****. Spend hours trying to figure out if I'm actually breathing. Not fun). That said, I was around quite a few people who do. Hell, I think a vast majority of my acquaintances in Denver did. From my brother and roommates to my bosses and everyone in between.

So that said, as I've told you before, you are literally the ONLY person I know (of) who buys their weed legally at the store. Everyone still just gets it from their pusherman. Why? Because it's cheaper. So what exactly is taxing the hell out of it good for if it keeps people away?

I've always been pro-legalization but my time and experiences in Denver has really forced my to take a step back and rethink it. Not sure what to think now.

(I do still think that drugs should be decriminalized. ALL drugs. Addiction is a sickness. Locking people up and, more importantly in my opinion, attaching a lifelong stigma to their record is completely counterproductive.)

it always takes a while for ANY change to take hold.  You are talking about people that had an existing supply chain.   As the legal options become more prevalent and easier to get, and cuts in to the profitline of the illegal stuff, the legal will take over.  Plus, eventually the authorities will start to go after the tax evasion.  

You can find illegal tax free cigarettes in New Jersey.  If you are a Soprano you buy (or sell) them that way.  If you are a gym teacher, chances are you buy them at CVS.  The pot distribution chains will mature in a similar manner    

• 3 weeks later...

I just want to note in anecdotal support, that it's all going great for me. I have always loved the Pacific NW.  :D

Lots of mushrooms 'round these parts, too. Just reporting, not necessarily advocating.  :ph34r:

rotfl, sure sure :P

Can't wait until this passes in CA in 2016. Then it will be legal on the entire west coast!

Failed in Florida. Got like 55% of the vote, but needed 60%.

(According to CNN's exit polls, the only demographic that voted against it was "65 and over". But they voted against it by, I think, like 65%. And they made up 25% of the electorate.)

The big question will be how many states legalize it before the federal gov't finally changes the law.

Like gay marriage, it will be snowball, but still face rock-solid opposition in uber-conservative states like Utah and South Carolina.

Like so many hot button issues, it is a generational perspective, and society will progress as the oldest generation dies off.

So my question is, how can I make money off the impending nation-wide legalization of marijuana as an investor?

Grow legal in one of those states that already allow medical.

Get all your permits and such.

Start stacking paper.

Once legal starts you are already set-up.

Like so many hot button issues, it is a generational perspective, and society will progress as the oldest generation dies off.

They need to hurry up.  ;)

All the old, conservative, "get off my lawn" 80-somethings need to move on so we can get things going.  Like seriously.  Dude, you're 87.  You're not on facebook, you don't watch The Walking Dead, and you eat dinner at 3:00 PM.  Nobody cares what you think.  And yet old folks vote more than any other age group LOL.

This country is slowly making a great deal of progress on this issue.

It's a shame we let this topic be dominated by the law enforcement community more than the public health and scientific community.

Looking forward to the day when pot is legal and sold throughout the entire country.

All the old, conservative, "get off my lawn" 80-somethings need to move on so we can get things going.  Like seriously.  Dude, you're 87.  You're not on facebook, you don't watch The Walking Dead, and you eat dinner at 3:00 PM.  Nobody cares what you think.  And yet old folks vote more than any other age group LOL.

I'm not on facebook and watch The Walking Dead but I don't eat dinner 'til 5:30.  :)

My go to person on readings related to drug policy, drug use and drug laws is Dr. Carl Hart. Professor of psychology and psychiatry at Columbia University and all around brilliant guy. Extremely well versed in the neuroscience of drugs.

http://www.drcarlhart.com/

Every time I get into a conversation with a close minded know it all on drug issues, I refer them to his work.

Archived