Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What is going to happen in Washington and Colorado with the legalization of marijuana?

Skinz4Life12

• 1 month later...

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/apnewsbreak-effort-building-change-us-pot-laws

SEATTLE (AP) — An effort is building in Congress to change U.S. marijuana laws, including moves to legalize the industrial production of hemp and establish a hefty federal pot tax.

While passage this year could be a longshot, lawmakers from both parties have been quietly working on several bills, the first of which Democratic Reps. Earl Blumenauer of Oregon and Jared Polis of Colorado plan to introduce Tuesday, Blumenauer told The Associated Press.

Polis' measure would regulate marijuana the way the federal government handles alcohol: In states that legalize pot, growers would have to obtain a federal permit. Oversight of marijuana would be removed from the Drug Enforcement Administration and given to the newly renamed Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Marijuana and Firearms, and it would remain illegal to bring marijuana from a state where it's legal to one where it isn't.

Well, kids sure ain't wasting any time in exercising their new freedom to legally use dope. This wasn't predictable at all... :ols:

"Air Academy student hospitalized after eating pot brownie"

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_22177617/air-academy-student-hospitalized-after-eating-pot-brownie

Sucks to be a dumbass :ols:

Hospitalized for what though? The plant is completely harmless, especially in brownie form.

Hospitalized for what though? The plant is completely harmless, especially in brownie form.

I really don't know.

I suspect it would be something along the lines of teachers and administration implementing the CYA policy and sending this kid to the hospital once they observed visible symptoms???

Eating brownies that are made with butter that was cooked with marijuana will make one very high. Its much more intense and it is not uncommon for experienced smokers to get 'too high' from eating it. This happened to kids when I was in high school and in college, resulting in trips to the ER because they were wasted and didn't know what else to do. Well before any state legalized anything.

She could have gotten too much of the effect and had someone take her to a hospital out of paranoia, or got nauseous from it, which can happen. She was 14 so it was probably an overwhelming effect for her. School staff took care of her and contacted police, which is the reason for the hospitalization. Worse thing that could have happened was she threw it up and was nauseated for the day.

Everyone looking to Obama to resolve this problem is looking in the wrong place. Congress made pot illegal, and Congress needs to fix the problem. The Executive can set enforcement priorities, but it can't just say that "pot is legal" like some people seem to think that it can.

• 1 month later...

Well, in answer to the thread title question, here's one thing that's happening:

Colorado pot accidents spur call for childproof packaging

From early 2005 to late 2009, Children's Hospital Colorado had exactly zero emergency-room visits by kids who had ingested marijuana. In the following two years, when medical marijuana became legal in Colorado and federal officials backed off prosecution, it had 14.

Pioneering studies of ER charts by Colorado doctors show looser pot laws leading to childhood poisonings, often from mistakenly eating tantalizing "edibles" like gummy worms or brownies.

Those doctors are now helping lead the charge for mandatory safety packaging as Colorado gears up for even broader legal sales of pot with recreational-marijuana stores.

"We've seen a dramatic increase in pediatric exposure," said Dr. George Wang, a Children's ER doctor who also works with Denver Health's Rocky Mountain Poison and Drug Center.

Calls about potential marijuana exposure at all ages have doubled since 2009 at the poison center.

Click on the link for the full article

Safety packaging makes sense.

~Bang

Most definitely. I see nothing wrong at all with safety packaging.

I'd like to hear what became of those 14 ER visits, though. As another poster said, ingesting THC in an edible can have much stronger effects on somebody, especially if they don't smoke often, or at all. My old roommate, who used to partake once every couple of months, ate 2 or 3 brownies once. she had to force herself to go to bed because she was freaking out and began to cry.

But, it's all mental. I wouldn't think they would be physically injured.

But, it's all mental. I wouldn't think they would be physically injured.

It is more than mental, but if they do not do something harmful while impaired there should be no lasting physical harm.

unless it is ongoing

Apparently there's also a tax issue:

For Legal Pot Sellers, A Big Tax Problem

An obscure tax code provision crafted for drug dealers is giving state-licensed medical marijuana dispensaries a headache.

In Colorado, federal income tax rates for dispensaries can soar as high as 70 percent because of a tax code section that does not allow businesses to claim certain deductions.

The section is known as 280E, and it was originally written for illegal drug traffickers. But today it's a thorn in the side of licensed dispensary owners like Erica Freeman.

Freeman is co-owner of Choice Organics in Fort Collins, Colo. Two tax court decisions over the past six years have sent confusing messages about which deductions the industry can make. In 2012, Freeman wrote off the costs associated with growing pot, but she didn't deduct anything related to the sale of medical marijuana like advertising costs.

"We all feel like we are legitimate businesses. We have licenses ... but yet I'm still unable to write these things off and I'm still treated as an illegal business," Freeman says.

Freeman says existing tax code could make Colorado's expansion to recreational marijuana use very tricky for business owners. The uncertain tax climate is the direct product of state and federal law clashing on medical marijuana policy in the 18 states where it's legal. The end result right now, according to Colorado accountant Jim Marty, is income taxes rates that are much higher compared with those paid by other small businesses.

"If they were in a normal business, their top bracket would be about 45 percent. But if you have to pay tax on your gross profit and not your net income, the calculations I've done puts the federal and state income tax at about 70 percent," Marty says.

Click on the link for the full article

• 4 months later...

probably too busy challenging legal voter id laws and ignoring immigration law 

The Justice Dept is a joke

From your  sig...

Never forget that everything Hitler did in Germany was legal...MLK

Thanks for inadvertently showing the similarities between Ferengi (republican) suppression of political opponents and the nazis.

Nazi Party — History.com Articles, Video, Pictures and Facts

Hitler and the Nazis Come to Power: 1933

In 1929, Germany entered a period of severe economic depression and widespread unemployment. The Nazis capitalized on the situation by criticizing the ruling government and began to win elections. In the July 1932 elections, they captured 230 out of 608 seats in the “Reichstag,” or German parliament. In January 1933, Hitler was appointed German chancellor and his Nazi government soon came to control every aspect of German life.

Under Nazi rule, all other political parties were banned. In 1933, the Nazis opened their first concentration camp, in Dachau, Germany, to house political prisoners. Dachau evolved into a death camp where countless thousands of Jews died from malnutrition, disease and overwork or were executed. In addition to Jews, the camp's prisoners included members of other groups Hitler considered unfit for the new Germany, including artists, intellectuals, Gypsies, the physically and mentally handicapped and homosexuals.

They don't actually have the power to ban other parties so they do the next best thing, pass laws that make it more difficult for those who disagree with them to vote.

Republicans Admit Voter ID Laws Are Aimed at Democratic Voters - The Daily Beast

longtime conservative activist Phyllis Schlafly acknowledged as much with a defense of North Carolina’s new voting law, which has been criticized for its restrictions on access, among other things. Here’s Schlafly:

“The reduction in the number of days allowed for early voting is particularly important because early voting plays a major role in Obama’s ground game. The Democrats carried most states that allow many days of early voting, and Obama’s national field director admitted, shortly before last year’s election, that ‘early voting is giving us a solid lead in the battleground states that will decide this election.’

“The Obama technocrats have developed an efficient system of identifying prospective Obama voters and then nagging them (some might say harassing them) until they actually vote. It may take several days to accomplish this, so early voting is an essential component of the Democrats’ get-out-the-vote campaign.”

Last spring, for example, Pennsylvania House Majority Leader Mike Turzai told a gathering of Republicans that their voter identification law would “allow Governor Romney to win the state of Pennsylvania.”

After the election, former Florida GOP chairman Jim Greer told The Palm Beach Post that the explicit goal of the state’s voter-ID law was Democratic suppression. “The Republican Party, the strategists, the consultants, they firmly believe that early voting is bad for Republican Party candidates,” Greer told the Post. “It’s done for one reason and one reason only ... ‘We’ve got to cut down on early voting because early voting is not good for us,’” he said.

i don't smoke pot that much anymore...

but its nice to know that, when i wanna sit out on the front porch and toke the bong while watching the sun set over the Rockies, I can do so without worrying about the neighbors calling the po-leece.  :)

i don't smoke pot that much anymore...

but its nice to know that, when i wanna sit out on the front porch and toke the bong while watching the sun set over the Rockies, I can do so without worrying about the neighbors calling the po-leece.  :)

I wish it was legal here.  Alabama will be the last state that makes it legal.  Of course, it will happen the day after I die.  Just like teleportation and eternal life.  BUT, HEY, We can get a free gun with the purchase of a new car!  WOOOOHOOOO!!!!!  Let's shoot some mother****ers!!!

I am not against guns one bit, but I find it pretty stupid that I cannot smoke a little pot but I can get a free gun when I purchase a car.  You can shoot a man, but you cannot get high, get a pizza and enjoy Lord of the Rings in your own home.

I am like you though.  Smoking is a rare occurence.  But I want that option there.  I might do it once a month if it was legal.

Archived