Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What is going to happen in Washington and Colorado with the legalization of marijuana?

Skinz4Life12

The biggest hurdle may well end up being the prison system lobby. Not just guards and such, but food services and local economies have become dependent on high inmate populations even more so than has been true of unneeded military bases....and just look at how nearly impossible it is to close one of those.

The big question will be how many states legalize it before the federal gov't finally changes the law.

Like gay marriage, it will be snowball, but still face rock-solid opposition in uber-conservative states like Utah and South Carolina.

Like so many hot button issues, it is a generational perspective, and society will progress as the oldest generation dies off.

This is exactly what i was thinking about yesterday. What happens when we get to 10 states that legalize? Or 15? At what point do the feds through in the towel?

Also, this may seem ignorant but assuming that the feds legalize it at some point, what happens in the ultra conservative states that don't legalize it? If its legal according to federal law, but still illegal in the state, does the federal law overrule the state law?

The biggest hurdle may well end up being the prison system lobby. Not just guards and such, but food services and local economies have become dependent on high inmate populations even more so than has been true of unneeded military bases....and just look at how nearly impossible it is to close one of those.

not much of a hurdle, the usual will still screw up and they can always criminalize something else as usual to feed the system

• 1 month later...

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/obama-backs-dc-vote-legalize-marijuana/story?id=27536201

Obama Backs DC Vote to Legalize Marijuana

President Obama supports legalization of the recreational use of marijuana in the nation's capital as approved by D.C. voters in a November referendum, the White House says.

But he also reluctantly supports and would sign a government funding bill that includes a rider blocking the measure, White House spokesman Josh Earnest said. Congressional negotiators have quietly tucked into a $1.1 trillion spending deal a provision prohibiting the district from spending money to enact the new policy.

"We do not believe that Congress should spend a lot of time interfering with the ability of the citizens of the District of Columbia to make decisions related to how they should govern their community," Earnest told ABC's Jonathan Karl.

But despite the concerns, "the president supports the passage of this compromise proposal and would sign it if it arrives on his desk."

D.C. voters approved a referendum in November, by a nearly 2-to-1 margin, to legalize the possession of up to 2 ounces of pot or up to three plants for personal use.

District leaders have protested the anti-marijuana rider as anti-democratic interference, since residents of the capital city do not have voting representation in Congress.

Members of Congress supportive of the provision say they are acting to uphold federal law, which still bans the use, possession and sale of marijuana.

wow, that's really lame.  Hope it works out for you guys.  "Pot tourism" has generated tens of millions in revenue for the state of Colorado, totally separate from the money generated by CO citizens purchasing weed legally.

A city like DC that's already a top tier tourist destination in the country...then add legal pot?  yes please.

• 1 month later...

Read an article just a few minutes ago about DC, that led me to understand ( potentially) you could have up to six plants (only 3 budding).

Also, that you could possess up to 2 ounces for personal use and iirc give away up to an ounce.

You could sell paraphernalia and such, but you could not sell marijuana in DC.

Seems like an easy business plan to me. Free weed with purchase of vaporizer, water pipe, rolling papers, bowl, etc.

• 3 weeks later...

Now legal in Alaska - NPR - Marijuana Is Now Legal In Alaska, The 3rd U.S. State With Legal Pot

Becomes legal to use, grow, and possess in Washington, D.C. starting at 12:01 AM this Thursday - NBC 4 - Marijuana Becomes Legal in D.C. Thursday at Midnight -- Unless Congress Steps In

But not legal to sell in DC. Which will make it interesting.

In addition to that DC has lots of federal law enforcement, buildings/property, etc. So this might provide an interesting clash between federal/local law.

WP:

House Republicans warn D.C. mayor not to legalize pot

Two powerful House Republicans late Tuesday warned D.C. Mayor Muriel E. Bowser not to move forward with legalizing marijuana in the nation’s capital and they warned of stiff federal retribution if the city’s chief executive did not yield.

The letter came on the same day that Bowser declared that a voter-approved measure to legalize pot would become law in the city at 12:01 a.m. on Thursday and the letter set the stage for a dramatic final 24 hours before that deadline.

“If you decide to move forward tomorrow with the legalization of marijuana in the District, you will be doing so in knowing and willful violation of the law,” read the letter signed by U.S. Rep. Jason Chaffetz (R-Utah), chairman of the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee, and Rep. Mark Meadows (R-N.C.), chair of the appropriations subcommittee that handles the D.C. budget.

In an interview with The Washington Post, Chaffetz went further. He said that if Bowser and city officials are “under any illusion that this would be legal, they are wrong. And there are very severe consequences for violating this provision. You can go to prison for this. We’re not playing a little game here.”

Read more: http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/dc-politics/house-republicans-warn-dc-mayor-not-to-legalize-pot/2015/02/25/2f784a10-bcb0-11e4-bdfa-b8e8f594e6ee_story.html

i don't know about y'all, but as soon as the first gay couple got married my marriage fell apart, and now that pot is becoming legal i'm turning into a heroin addict.

the only reasonable thing to do to protect fine Americans like myself would be to put cameras in everyone's bedroom with requirements that any and all sexual participants stand for inspection to insure gender compatability, and  install toilets equipped with drug testing monitors in every home.

It's the ONLY way to keep me from becoming a dope shooting gay person who wants to marry a table.

~Biff

I keep remembering a story I'd heard, years ago.

It's a drug trial. The jury is deliberating, and the send a question to the judge:

"Since it took a constitutional amendment to give the federal government the authority to prohibit alcohol, where is the constitutional authority for the federal government to prohibit marijuana?"

(Supposedly, the judge demanded to know which juror asked the question, and removed him from the jury.).

i don't know about y'all, but as soon as the first gay couple got married my marriage fell apart, and now that pot is becoming legal i'm turning into a heroin addict.

the only reasonable thing to do to protect fine Americans like myself would be to put cameras in everyone's bedroom with requirements that any and all sexual participants stand for inspection to insure gender compatability, and  install toilets equipped with drug testing monitors in every home.

It's the ONLY way to keep me from becoming a dope shooting gay person who wants to marry a table.

~Biff

:lol:  You are on fire today. 

Archived