Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What is going to happen in Washington and Colorado with the legalization of marijuana?

Skinz4Life12

The tests can determine a timespan

http://www.shouselaw.com/dui-marijuana.html#prove

Numbers 1-3 will be introduced through testimony from the arresting officer and the Drug Recognition Evaluator (DRE). Number four will be presented through the testimony of a criminalist from your local law enforcement agency’s crime lab.

Thanks, that was extremely helpful...guess I coulda googled it but I just hadn't heard much discussion on it.

The website does go on to say that the drug tests are "basically meaningless."

It is virtually impossible to detect when you actually used marijuana. Current chemical tests can only detect that marijuana was used, not when it was used, or whether it was still producing an intoxicating effect when you got pulled over. All that matters is whether you were under the influence of marijuana at the time you drove.

And the site gives pretty simple arguments against 1-3 as well. So basically, they have a system, but it is easy to get around. Most likely you failing to stop at a stop sign or something...it's just so much "easier" with alcohol because of the set limit...

This is basically what I thought, I just didn't know if there was some secret special way to prove if you were actually under the influence or if it was just in your system.

they can determine under the influence,but level of impairment is uncertain(much like alcohol)...different places set arbitrary limits

and the tests are advancing

I understand the system and how they can determine it, it's just that the website basically gives loopholes for everything and makes it seem almost easy to escape conviction even if it the person is "obviously" guilty.

Maybe it's just the website or my lack of faith in the justice system. Or that it's almost 1 and I'm supposed to be writing a paper that has nothing to do with the legalization of marijuana.

I'm not trying to argue with you (or for or against legalization), by the way, I'm just curious about this.

laws are usually easy to get around

Legalization isn't much of a issue to me,they can legalize it all as far as I'm concerned

As I said, my lack of faith in the justice system.

I'm torn on the issue. I think technically it should be legal, I just don't really want it to be....but that's not what this thread is about :)

As I said, my lack of faith in the justice system.

I'm torn on the issue. I think technically it should be legal, I just don't really want it to be....but that's not what this thread is about :)

Kind of on your same point, if there isn't a test that can prove or disprove you're high right now, will business owners enect a 0 tolerance policy of if you have MJ in your system during a drug test you're not hired or fired on the spot. I wonder if this will increase the number of drug tests companies do on employees. I always saw this as the biggest hurdle to legalization.

Yeah, I don't feel the overwhelming need to earn respect from people like you. Speaking of respect, it is universal truth that respect is not gained by employing a snarky underlying tone in a debate. If you want people to actually take you seriously and spend their time getting involved in a legitimate debate with you, the first step is to cut out the jackass tone.

As a result of my lack of respect for your "debating skills" in addition to time constraints, I don't feel it necessary to waste my time running a lit search for links when you aren't open to a reasonable debate anyway. Based on your historical posting pattern on this site, it's very evident that you enjoy playing the antagonistic and patronizing role on an internet message board more often than you do involving yourself in a thoughtful debate.

I'm comfortable with my knowledge regarding this subject as it's a something I actually deal with (not Google search about or read blogs regarding) every day from a law enforcement perspective. :)

in other words..." cant defend position so bow out of the discussion." Got it

I'll eagerly await any evidence at all that Obama followed through and didnt raid CA Medical MJ spots after saying he wouldnt. My guess is that it wont appear any time soon.

---------- Post added November-8th-2012 at 07:29 AM ----------

I guess I shouldn't be surprised, although I wonder what the real motivation is with this.

The states can generate a lot of revenue with legal marijuana, but there is a lot of politically influential groups who stand to lose (e.g the for-profit prison system, drug companies, and law enforcement agencies).

I honestly think it was something that President Obama thought he could sneak through and no one would notice or make a big deal out of since it's just "stoners" that would worry. He obviously has zero respect for the medical research that has shown all the benefits for medical MJ.

In the end, despite all his rhetoric, he is just a major advocate of Federal control no matter the issue and will always aim for expanding or solidifying that control when he can.

they can determine under the influence,but level of impairment is uncertain(much like alcohol)...different places set arbitrary limits

and the tests are advancing

Much like how alcohol was treated prior to the 80's and the creation of MADD lobbying for the .08 limits. You have to figure that anyone under 30 probably doesn't realize that in a time not that long ago you could practically drive around drunk, but once a "legal limit" was set, LE had a right (and in many cases were probably strongly encouraged) to begin to throw people in jail for driving around after a few beers. I guess that's how I see this issue. We're probably in 1970's territory, whereby there's a substance that's available for consumption that can impair a human brain, and at some point, although its legal to consume, a "bar" will be set by the government, and it will only be tolerable below that "bar" , without facing legal consequences.

I honestly think it's a big waste of time and energy worrying about weed. I could see if it was cocaine or heroin, but weed? Maybe if more people smoked it, the world would be a happier place :D

Back in my 20s,I actually tried to think of a way to put it in my mom's food when I go home to visit. She seriously needs to chill!!

I'm buying stock in Frito-Lay.

I told my husband to check the mutual fund.

Nothing much is going to change. Marijuana is more common than cigarettes in the Bay Area now, and it hasn't changed a thing. No one cares. Everyone still goes to work and gets the job done.

It can happen, not everyone's a doofus.

i'm not familiar with the topic but have there been tons of smokers suing cigarette companies? if so, have they been winning?

Some have, it stems from Congressional hearings where big tobacco CEOs lied about nicotine being addictive.

Personally, if they are really looking for new revenue streams, they ought to legalize it nation wide and then tax it like they do cigarettes and Alcohol. It might go a long way to reducing th overhead in some of our prisons too, thus saving money.

Personally, if they are really looking for new revenue streams, they ought to legalize it nation wide and then tax it like they do cigarettes and Alcohol. It might go a long way to reducing th overhead in some of our prisons too, thus saving money.

You are right it would save money. The problem with this is that the prisons are privately owned, for-profit, and get paid by the taxpayers based on how many people they have incarcerated. The last thing they want is less people in prison.

And this is to say nothing of big pharma.

Colorado is already a hotbed, a lot of the weed around here is shipped from that state. This will be like firework smuggling on a much grander scale. Colorado will be the heart, the interstates will be the arteries. Weed is relatively easy to find around here, but you always run in to those days where everyone seems to be laying low/dry. This will obviously make weed even easier to get. Colorado is going to be 'the China of the US', gobbling up the country's money.

Yeah, I was talking with our vice narc officers today and most of the marijuana they confiscate off the street (from people without the MMJ cards) is medical-grade marijuana. The "medical" aspect of the MJ trade is a joke and it's enabled MJ to infiltrate everything. All of us who work with the industry are well aware of that fact....it's a mess.

It will be very interesting to see how this proposition plays out here in Colorado. It might have to go back to the legislature for an overhaul because it was worded so vaguely, no specifics about taxes, enforcement structure, and a host of other legal issues. So it will be very interesting to watch how politicians in this state deal with it, considering legalizing MJ has little to no support amongst law enforcement, CO legislators, and Gov. Hickenlooper himself.

Another thing we discussed at our coalition meeting today is the role big tobacco is going to play in this sector. Right now, they're just waiting in the wings seeing how this is going to play out. But the politicians and narc officers I've talked to fully expect, once the proposition is ironed out, big tobacco to collaborate with the MJ industry in production and marketing. There's even discussion that there is the potential for the tobacco industry to carve out a little niche in this sector by adding things like nicotine or other substances that could hook more customers for lifetime usage (kind of like how the drug cartels are lacing the MJ with heroin in some cases to create a much stronger dependency on the stuff).

K, come visit and bring some samples. I don't smoke...but for you I will make an exception. I think you might need a smoke.

:siily: You know I love you.

Never smoked before, but after the past cluster**** year I've had here in CO, this isn't a half baked idea :ols:

/kidding

Speaking of visit, I actually was almost in your state today. FEMA tried to deploy me out last night...but I figured since I've already started the chain reaction of events necessary for my relocation back to CA in a month, this wouldn't be the best time for a deployment. NEXT time though! :D

It will be very interesting to see how this proposition plays out here in Colorado. It might have to go back to the legislature for an overhaul because it was worded so vaguely, no specifics about taxes, enforcement structure, and a host of other legal issues. So it will be very interesting to watch how politicians in this state deal with it, considering legalizing MJ has little to no support amongst law enforcement, CO legislators, and Gov. Hickenlooper himself.

They could just do what the legislature does, here in Florida.

Ignore the Constitution, and the voters, and just don't implement it.

Another thing we discussed at our coalition meeting today is the role big tobacco is going to play in this sector. Right now, they're just waiting in the wings seeing how this is going to play out. But the politicians and narc officers I've talked to fully expect, once the proposition is ironed out, big tobacco to collaborate with the MJ industry in production and marketing. There's even discussion that there is the potential for the tobacco industry to carve out a little niche in this sector by adding things like nicotine or other substances that could hook more customers for lifetime usage (kind of like how the drug cartels are lacing the MJ with heroin in some cases to create a much stronger dependency on the stuff).

No clue about the "adding things to make it addictive" theory.

But, yeah, it wouldn't surprise me at all if Big Tobacco wasn't looking into getting into the market. (Although they might fail. They wouldn't have the monopolies they have with tobacco.)

Lacing it with heroin?

Really?

:doh:

Please, you have to be kidding me. Its scare mongering.

Heroin? :ols:

Sadly I know all too well about heroin and its dangerous impact. To state that weed is being laced with H is a joke

Suppose Peyton Manning or any other Donkey smokes a joint, will he get in trouble with the NFL?

Depends on your opinion on whether the NFL actually cares about that stuff, right now.

(Yes, IMO, they can punish them. Just because something is legal, doesn't mean the NFL has to allow it. But the impression I get is that the NFL's drug policies really depend on Who You Are, already.)

Archived