Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Election 2012- Post Mortem

88Comrade2000

Used to be when I was younger, but I realized that libertarianism is a historically bad governing philosophy for the vast majority of people. But I know what libertarians, particularly hardcore libertarians, believe and they would not get behind Romney. Not in enough numbers to swing the election. Obama won Ohio by about 300,000 votes. Are you telling me there are 300,000 Ron Paul supporters or sympathizers in Ohio that would have swung it to Romney? Or in Nevada? Or in New Mexico?

I think the only chance they could pull it off is if the GOP adopted the Green Party's foreign policy and ran far to the "left" to Obama on war and civil liberties.

Thats kind of what I expected you would say. You have painted a false equivilancy between a Paul supporter and a regular Libertarian Party supporter. They arent as mirrored as you believe and that is driving a somewhat skewed perspective on your part. This happens a lot and its not a big deal, but I encourage you to learn more about the overall Liberty movement (start with Campaign for Liberty).

I actually had read that the popular vote difference was closer to 100,000 but could be misinformed. I'll have to look. There were over 100k RP primary voters in Ohio.

Excellent article. I really, really hope my conservative friends and family now realize how they've been duped

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2012/11/how-conservative-media-lost-to-the-msm-and-failed-the-rank-and-file/264855/

How Conservative Media Lost to the MSM and Failed the Rank and File

CONOR FRIEDERSDORF

NOV 7 2012, 6:30 AM

Before rank-and-file conservatives ask, "What went wrong?", they should ask themselves a question every bit as important: "Why were we the last to realize that things were going wrong for us?"

Barack Obama just trounced a Republican opponent for the second time. But unlike four years ago, when most conservatives saw it coming, Tuesday's result was, for them, an unpleasant surprise. So many on the right had predicted a Mitt Romney victory, or even a blowout -- Dick Morris, George Will, and Michael Barone all predicted the GOP would break 300 electoral votes. Joe Scarborough scoffed at the notion that the election was anything other than a toss-up. Peggy Noonan insisted that those predicting an Obama victory were ignoring the world around them. Even Karl Rove, supposed political genius, missed the bulls-eye. These voices drove the coverage on Fox News, talk radio, the Drudge Report, and conservative blogs.

Those audiences were misinformed.

Outside the conservative media, the narrative was completely different. Its driving force was Nate Silver, whose performance forecasting Election '08 gave him credibility as he daily explained why his model showed that President Obama enjoyed a very good chance of being reelected. Other experts echoed his findings. Readers of The New York Times, The Atlantic, and other "mainstream media" sites besides knew the expert predictions, which have been largely born out. The conclusions of experts are not sacrosanct. But Silver's expertise was always a better bet than relying on ideological hacks like Morris or the anecdotal impressions of Noonan.

Sure, Silver could've wound up wrong. But people who rejected the possibility of his being right? They were operating at a self-imposed information disadvantage.

Conservatives should be familiar with its contours. For years, they've been arguing that liberal control of media and academia confers one advantage: Folks on the right can't help but be familiar with the thinking of liberals, whereas leftists can operate entirely within a liberal cocoon. This analysis was offered to explain why liberal ideas were growing weaker and would be defeated.

Today?

It is easy to close oneself off inside a conservative echo chamber. And right-leaning outlets like Fox News and Rush Limbaugh's show are far more intellectually closed than CNN or public radio. If you're a rank-and-file conservative, you're probably ready to acknowledge that ideologically friendly media didn't accurately inform you about Election 2012. Some pundits engaged in wishful thing; others feigned confidence in hopes that it would be a self-fulfilling prophecy; still others decided it was smart to keep telling right-leaning audiences what they wanted to hear.

But guess what?

You haven't just been misinformed about the horse race. Since the very beginning of the election cycle, conservative media has been failing you. With a few exceptions, they haven't tried to rigorously tell you the truth, or even to bring you intellectually honest opinion. What they've done instead helps to explain why the right failed to triumph in a very winnable election.

Why do you keep putting up with it?

CONTINUED AT LINK...

I love how people (most notably Donald Trump) was calling the election a travesty, etc because Obama only won the electoral college and not the popular vote. You'd figure they are bright enough to realize that all of the votes had not been counted up yet when Obama was declared the winner. As of now, Obama is winning the popular vote....

Is it okay for me to call the blacks who vote for Obama racist?

There is no courting the blacks away from Obama, most voted because he was black. Yes, you will disagree of course, but you know deep down I am right.

Your post is too idiotic for a legitimate response.

So I give you this instead:

1352269603832vqquc.gif

I love how people (most notably Donald Trump) was calling the election a travesty, etc because Obama only won the electoral college and not the popular vote. You'd figure they are bright enough to realize that all of the votes have not been counted up yet when Obama was declared the winner. As of now, Obama is winning the popular vote....

Especially when you consider that most of those yet-to-be-counted votes were from the West Coast. They're all clowns. They're all fools. I loved how Rove was freaking out about Ohio being called too early, meanwhile Colorado, Virginia and Florida are making the whole thing moot.

Excellent article. I really, really hope my conservative friends and family now realize how they've been duped

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2012/11/how-conservative-media-lost-to-the-msm-and-failed-the-rank-and-file/264855/

I think its very true. I hope a new conservative movement grows out of this election where they stop blaming the "mainstream media" for bad coverage of bad events, and stop ignoring facts in favor of ideological positions that make no sense.

Of course, none of that will happen.

Especially when you consider that most of those yet-to-be-counted votes were from the West Coast. They're all clowns. They're all fools. I loved how Rove was freaking out about Ohio being called too early, meanwhile Colorado, Virginia and Florida are making the whole thing moot.

I mean, seriously, if you didn't like the result of the election, fine. But don't sound like a completely dumb*** about it. I had several friends post on their Facebook that America's voice had not been heard because Romney was winning the popular vote and it seemed like they assumed he had it won. But this morning, I saw no one complaining about Obama losing the popular vote.

Conservatives were at an information disadvantage because so many right-leaning outlets wasted time on stories the rest of America dismissed as nonsense. WorldNetDaily brought you birtherism. Forbes brought you Kenyan anti-colonialism. National Review obsessed about an imaginary rejection of American exceptionalism, misrepresenting an Obama quote in the process, and Andy McCarthy was interviewed widely about his theory that Obama, aka the Drone Warrior in Chief, allied himself with our Islamist enemies in a "Grand Jihad" against America. Seriously?

Conservatives were at a disadvantage because their information elites pandered in the most cynical, self-defeating ways, treating would-be candidates like Sarah Palin and Herman Cain as if they were plausible presidents rather than national jokes who'd lose worse than George McGovern.

Nail...meet head.

There is no courting the blacks away from Obama, most voted because he was black. Yes, you will disagree of course, but you know deep down I am right.

:ols: You really think that? Do I have to bring out the model that debunks your theory, or should I leave it alone :) Your choice.

---------- Post added November-7th-2012 at 12:47 PM ----------

Umm they've been historically democrat for the past few decades. Where have you been?

I know I'm late to the party, but I'm just waiting for him to respond so I can show him exhibit A and B.

Yes, just like they voted for Michael Steele over Ben Cardin.

Oh wait, that didn't happen. In fact, it was the exact opposite. I wonder why?

Nail...meet head.

shhhhhhhh! one of the biggest advantages democrats enjoy over republicans is the latter's reliable pattern of shooting itself in the foot strategically because of their insistance on dismissing any data that doesn't tell them what they want to hear.

the final days of this election were like a team down by a field goal with 2 minutes to go, and a coach who insisted they were secretly ahead according to internal scoreboards, thus ordering the victory formation.

Healthcare premiums would have continued to rise with or without Obamacare. Obamacare is just making them rise more slowly, and hopefully, they will stop rising. And what taxes and new regulations has Obama actually imposed on small business? Hell, at that size, you don't even have to provide insurance for your employees.

I love these conservative "small business owners" - they blame every ****ing thing on Obama; it's Obama that's stopping them from hiring more, regardless of the actual facts on the ground. Stop listening to the far-right "unskewed facts".

I wish someone would put out a yearly budget for their business and show, chapter and verse, how their lack of hiring is DIRECTLY related to liberal policies.

Southeast Sheet Metal Contractors. We've been in business since 1963. Started in Southeast DC, moved to Alexandria shortly thereafter, and we've been in Woodbridge now almost as long as I've been alive, and i'm 30. Three years ago, we had 20+ employees. Now we're down to 9, and facing having to downsize even further because of the shape this economy is in due to your precious President Obama and his ridiculous need to abuse the hardworking, backbone of this country. I'm third generation and I'll be damned if i'm defending my business to someone on the internet who hasn't a CLUE what it takes to run a small business and not only provide food, clothes, health insurance etc for YOU and YOUR family, but all the families of those employed by you as well.

And no, you're right...we DON'T have to provide insurance for our employees....but we DO. Yet hardworking Americans like us get blamed for not "caring for their fellow man", because we don't want to support the scum who refuse to do anything for themselves. Well, now we'll be MANDATED to provide Obamacare, at an expense we can't afford...when we were already providing quality healthcare for our employees in the first place.

I don't want to be harsh, or argue. But just what the hell does "small buisness owners" in quotes like that mean? Are you questioning the validity of a small business like mine? Do you think the small business owner is needlessly ****ing because we don't already have enough responsibilities, and we need something else to complain about to bide our time? No, Barack Obama has placed TREMENDOUS stresses on small business like mine, that the common citizen simply doesn't understand, nor will unless they choose to learn a little something outside of their box that they're so tightly secured in. I'd tell you to walk a mile in my shoes, but I'm not even sure you could put them on the right feet.

You have at it, rebut me all you want. I'm not wasting my time talking to a wall. Enjoy our President, hope he does exactly whatever the hell you bought into him doing. He won't be sorry when he tricked you.

You have at it, rebut me all you want. I'm not wasting my time talking to a wall. Enjoy our President, hope he does exactly whatever the hell you bought into him doing. He won't be sorry when he tricked you.

But,But they are going to give Tax credits .....Good Luck Sir, you are going to need it by my reckoning.

I have to wait until I get home to watch it due to work. What is it?

A most indignant lady's opinion of Ron Paul supporters...

I offer my opinion...I don't CARE if you like it or not. ***Thank you for all the VIEWS you Ron Paul loving douchebags!!! The views, unlike YOU, will REMAIN on my channel forever. Ha. Ha. Ha.*** Thanks a bunch, Paulqaeda.

Archived