Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Election 2012- Post Mortem

88Comrade2000

I don't see the GOP moving more towards the Center in the coming years. I see them moving more towards traditional right views. The face of the GOP is young and they are traditional Republicans.

Rubio may well be the face of the GOP in 2016. If that's the case, you wont get 70% of the hispanic vote. This is not to say that the Democrats will not try and off set this and get a strong showing from the Hispanic voting block but it won't be nearly as strong as it has been in the two previous races.

Doesn't really matter. 2016 is a very long way off. These next two years are going to be critical. I hope the Democratic Party is up to the job.

I have to wait until I get home to watch it due to work. What is it?

An unhinged and enraged Gem Sweater Lady sound-alike, clearly an avid misery enthusiast with way too much time on her hands, blames the entire political right for not forwarding her self-produced vacuous YouTube crap to enough people in advance of the election. Her fans' lack of effort in spreading her gospel of hatred apparently is a major reason why Romney lost.

It's so, so very satisfying to listen to. Just delightful. I hope she never gets over it.

I hear people try to equate gay marriage rights to civil rights, and I happen to agree there are many similarities. The one which struck me the most was the role of big businesses. I know many, including some on here, have said this will impose additional costs on businesses, but I've rarely seen evidence of it born out. Still, I was reading http://blog.seattlepi.com/seattlepolitics/2012/11/06/same-sex-marriage-leads-in-washington-maryland-and-maine/ and I cam across the following,

"“On the surface, Washington is known as the home of Microsoft, Amazon and Starbucks but on a deeper level we represent the best of rugged individualism combined with deeply held values of the common good,” said Carlyle. Amazon, Starbucks and Microsoft brass were generous donors to the Ref. 74 campaign, and business leaders argued that marriage equality would draw talent to the state."

What struck me about this was reading back to the abolitionist movement in the U.S. and U.K. It was quite often stated with absolute certainty in the press that without slaves the economies of the countries would fail. Yet some of the earliest and biggest proponents of abolitionism in the U.S. were the Quakers...who incidentally were a huge business coalition not just a religion. Pennsylvania owed much of its early prosperity to the same Quakers who made the economic arguments against slavery right along side their moral arguments against it.

As we rebel against big business as soulless, perhaps we would do well to recognize how much social progress has been promoted by big business.

I didn't mind what Obama said at all. In fact I was already voting for revenge before Obama even said it. I'm voting to spit in the face of a hypocritical, jacka**, filibuster-happy congress that has done nothing but throw the American people under the bus in an attempt to regain power. These hypocrites (including Paul Ryan) wrote a blank check to Bush for 8 years but conveniently got "conservative" when they lost. I'm voting for revenge because of Republicans suddenly trying to pass voter ID laws and kill early voting to obviously suppress the vote. I'm voting for revenge of the GOP trying to buy an election with the Citizens United crap. I don't want to see their actions of the last 3+ years rewarded with the presidency because it will do nothing but encourage these fools to keep trying these tactics in the future. Mitt Romney talks about voting for love of country? Well I see no love of country from the GOP. I see nothing but contempt and I've grown sick of the birther talks they've fed into, the ignorance they spout, and the blatant obstructionism.

The above reasons were my main motivations to vote and as far as I'm concerned justice has been served. Last night was a referendum on the way the Republican party goes about its business and it was thoroughly rejected by people like me who are fed up with their bull****. Now it's time for them to take a long look in the mirror and grow the **** up. Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way.

Is it okay for me to call the blacks who vote for Obama racist?

There is no courting the blacks away from Obama, most voted because he was black. Yes, you will disagree of course, but you know deep down I am right.

Let me see if I get this straight.

You are telling me that when the conservatives relentlessly label the first major African American candidate for President a Muslim communist atheist homosexual jihadist usurper Kenyan criminal ghetto thug drug addict witch doctor who is too stupid to speak without a teleprompter....

it should surprise us all that this drives up the black vote? :)

Let me see if I get this straight.

You are telling me that when the conservatives relentlessly label the first major African American candidate for President a Muslim communist atheist homosexual jihadist usurper Kenyan criminal ghetto thug drug addict witch doctor who is too stupid to speak without a teleprompter....

it should surprise us all that this drives up the black vote? :)

Or how about trying to pass voter ID laws in an election year. Close election in 2000 and 2004? No voter ID laws needed. Black president wins election in a landslide in 2008? Voter ID laws out the ass from the GOP :ols: Kill the early vote on top of that!! Did they really think after all of the birther nonsense for the last 3 years that minorities wouldn't see that as a slap in the face? They can read between the lines. Tossing the "welfare", "free checks" catch-phrases around in attack ads ad nauseum didn't help either. Yeah, that's not going to motivate minorities to vote against the GOP as a big **** you. I swear it's like that party is stuck on stupid.

Not sure why people think that they Republicans need to change. They obviously don't. They needed stronger Presidential candidates. I think they picked up 4 or 5 governorship for a total of 33ish. (numbers are a little fuzzy). they have the first GOP governor in NC in 2 decades, I think they also picked up seats in the house. Did they get the big prize? No. But they are sitting quite well. This was not an Obama blow out by any means. What this tells me is that BOTH parties need to drag themselves to the center and quit being so partisan.

There was a time when Democrats couldn't win the presidency, save for Carter's win in 76 after Watergate. I don't see Obama's coalition voting Republican for President unless they change. Hillary in 2016, I believe would actually build on what Obama did. What's funny; I think Romney won less votes than Mccain did.

GOP needs to appeal to somebody besides old white men.

Women, young people, and all the minorities are heavily against the GOP right now. They need to take a long look at themselves.

Also they need to start nominating viable candidates. Ron Paul might have had a chance.

Ron Paul would lose badly. Whatever people Paul would've brought would be canceled out by all the people who would've left if he was the nominee.

---------- Post added November-7th-2012 at 03:35 PM ----------

Dick Morris (on Fox):

- I feel bad for Obama, he really inherited a mess from himself.

- Polling reflected the same turnout of 2008, I did not think this was going to be the new turnout model.

- I was wrong. Turnout model is different than what we had.

- Blacks, Latino's and young people are greater than we had before (and single white women).

- This is the new America, the percentage of single women, African American's, Latino's and young people are greater than before.

- Unless the GOP changes, it can never win another election.

- If this candidate (Romney) in this economy (bad) can't beat this President (Obama), the GOP can never win another election.

He finally said something right. Actually, I say let the GOP die. Time for a new party to replace it.

Ron Paul would lose badly. Whatever people Paul would've brought would be canceled out by all the people who would've left if he was the nominee.

Thats likely true (and it pains me to admit it) however, back during the primaries, he was the only candidate of all the GOP that consistently came out on top in a head to head race according to many polls.

To me, if the GOP had just tried to be respectful and listen with even half an ear, even pretend to be nice,. then they could have garnered a lot more votes. Instead, we saw what they did and they lost us completely, root and branch.

Reap what you Sow GOP

Millions of highly politically active Ron Paul supporters would have given Romney the edge he needed to win in a few states, especially OH and Fla . All that was needed was to include us in the process, recognize our successes at gaining delegates, and allow some of our ideas in the platform.

But the public rejection of our supporters at the convention sealed your doom.

The GOP told us libertarians in the party, who brought renewed energy, and awesome fund raising at the grassroots level to it, to get lost, and now they have paid for it.

Really. If they gave Paulers some significant bones; odds are they would've lost a part of the base.

No- Paulers should went third party so their movement could build to become an eventual third force in American politics.

Archived