Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Garcon + Meriweather = Win over Philly???

Renegade7

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Wait, we are only 3 games back with 7 games to go and of those 5 more divisional games.....I'm still optimistic if we can get them both back.

You think like me. The tough thing is, Shanny isn't pulling the reigns from Haslett. In this game though, defense didn't really lose it for us. Lack of effort on Offense did. we gave up 21 points. through the first 5 weeks we were average around 30 points per game. Sooooo...I don't know. First time ever I'm extremely frustrated. Guys getting opportunities and not cashing in. Both sides of the ball. That has nothing to do with play calling or coaching. Has to do with just plain ole idividual sucking. Period.

HTTR

And with us being down by two TDs with six minutes left and having just given Carolina the ball back, we absolutely had to start using timeouts at that point. But we didn't, and the reason why was Shanahan was either clueless or gutless. Just not sure which.

Well, at first, I agreed with you until I saw how the game played out. Had they scored with 2:15 left when they got to the 2, they would have had 3 time outs, the two minute warning, and a chance to get the ball back with 1:30 or so left on the clock.

The penalties leading to the touchdown prevented that from happening, but it could have worked out had they scored on the first play from the 2.

we have too many injuries i see us winning some more games but were really really hurting to the point that our whole roster is swiz cheese... i would love to see the giants and some other team cope with all the injuries that we have... right tackle, stud tight end, stud wr, stud olb, good de, 2 starting safeties etc...

Newsflash - all I was saying was everyone else thinks we need a miracle to beat Philly when all we need is to not have a terrible game.

The Eagles are not that good this year but are WAY more talented than the Redskins. I think we need to do more than not have a terrible game to beat the Eagles.

Well, at first, I agreed with you until I saw how the game played out. Had they scored with 2:15 left when they got to the 2, they would have had 3 time outs, the two minute warning, and a chance to get the ball back with 1:30 or so left on the clock.

The penalties leading to the touchdown prevented that from happening, but it could have worked out had they scored on the first play from the 2.

Even though Shanny showed complete idiocy in not using his timeouts at that juncture of the game, Carolina kind of bailed him out a little. After calling a running play, on second down the Panthers tried a bomb to the end zone which stopped the clock for us. Then they called a screen pass and we still didn't stop the clock. Finally, on 4th down, with about 4:30 left, the Panthers tried a 50-yard FG......understandable in that a conversion there essentially ends the game, but they also were risking giving us the ball at the 40 (which they did since the FG was missed), instead of having it on the 20 or perhaps inside there, which would've happened with a punt.

I just think that from the outset of the series that Shanny should've been focused on getting the ball back into his offense's hands ASAP, and that perhaps it would've given him more options at the end of the game as far as kicking deep vs an onside kick. Then again, I think Shanny has zero confidence in his defense right now, and probably figured that he was going to do the onside kick no matter what.

uhmmm before people get their hopes too high for a defensive turnraound, please remember that merriweather is a safety who lost his last job to a WIDE RECEIVER playing safety for the first time.

Yeah, I thought Merriweather wasn't well regarded in NE. Ppl are expecting a lot from him.

Oh and everyone needs to chill on Garcon. IF he plays, he won't be able to provide much with a busted foot and I am not labeling him a stud until he plays more than 5 quarters

Unpopular as it may seem the skins are hiding some issues with RG3 I think. It's the only explanation for the play calling and the offense that we've seen. In the first half of this game we saw a traditional drop back with play action. When that stopped working they had to change it up to something different in the 2nd half and what did we see? Option. What happened in other games when the offense was shut down at first and the skins had to change things up? Option. I think when the offensive gameplan doesn't work the skins have to go back to 'basics' or what RG3 knows. This isn't necessarily a bad thing because he's a rookie. A great rookie who has exceeded expectations on many levels. I'm just pointing out that the offense does have some issues and I don't think that having Garcon in the game changes any of that.

As for the defense that's completely up in the air. I truly believe that most of the issues are due to a lack of pass rush and the safety position. If the skins could generate a rush, even a small one, the corners and secondary would have an easier time in coverage. The more time the QB has the more chances the receivers have time to find open spaces in zone coverage. Or exploit the horrible safety play we've seen and burn someone deep on blown coverage. Merriweather may actually help with that if he knows where he's suppose to be and the corners trust him to help over the top. However, to think that he will be able to change the game enough to impact anything is a huge stretch.

I voted yes. Why? Because the skins can beat Philly with or without Garcon. They can play with anyone when they are playing well. We've seen that before. The last two weeks they have regressed but they have lots of time to prepare for the next game. If they drop the next game and get beat badly you know it's time for some wholesale changes. I'm not advocating that Shannahan needs to go yet but something has to be done to shake things up at the end of the year. I hope they keep Shanny and stick with ONE damn system for years instead of changing all the time.

I think the only thing the coaches are trying to hide is their lack of faith in the skill positions outside of morris. Also the panthers didnt really stop anything. The offense just couldnt punch it in the redzone and some drives were stopped by stupid penalties.

Yeah, I thought Merriweather wasn't well regarded in NE. Ppl are expecting a lot from him.

Oh and everyone needs to chill on Garcon. IF he plays, he won't be able to provide much with a busted foot and I am not labeling him a stud until he plays more than 5 quarters

New poster here. I agree that it would be unreasonable to expect a lot from him on a bad foot. I think it would be better for him and the team in the long run if was put on the shelf for the rest of the season, at this point.

I love it when fans decide players aren't very good because they got hurt. We see a certain WR run around the field like crazy scoring TD's, (the longest we have seen from scrimmage in a LONG time) and unfortunately a stupid toe injury sidelines him. Now, he's no good....ridiculous

Couldn't click "no" fast enough. Meriweather hasn't played a down this season and he's expected to turn around the worst secondary in the NFL with no pressure from the line to help them? smh

Garcon, I hope, would make a difference. But he won't start against Philly, so it's moot.

If the coaches get the players ready and they show an ounce of passion for the game while minimizing penalties, unlike last week, they can beat a crappy Eagles team handily at home. If they come out sloppy and uninterested, then the answer should be obvious. Meriweather and Garcon might fire the players up a bit, but there's a lot more wrong with this team than those two being out of the lineup.

I think the only thing the coaches are trying to hide is their lack of faith in the skill positions outside of morris. Also the panthers didnt really stop anything. The offense just couldnt punch it in the redzone and some drives were stopped by stupid penalties.

Skins faced Steelers and had 12 drops from receivers, so RG3's performance suffered. Carolina's D is actually good vs. the pass (31st in points allowed to WRs in fantasy), and our receivers are lackluster. 2 games is all it has been though, and the offense w/ RG3 can certainly bounce back, especially if Robinson comes back after the bye fully healthy. He and Moss are the only real deep threats IMO. as Hanky is way too inconsistent and has alligator arms, and Morgan is only the over the middle guy.

I agree that the weakness is at receiver, which most folks know.

Unpopular as it may seem the skins are hiding some issues with RG3 I think. It's the only explanation for the play calling and the offense that we've seen. In the first half of this game we saw a traditional drop back with play action. When that stopped working they had to change it up to something different in the 2nd half and what did we see? Option. What happened in other games when the offense was shut down at first and the skins had to change things up? Option. I think when the offensive gameplan doesn't work the skins have to go back to 'basics' or what RG3 knows. This isn't necessarily a bad thing because he's a rookie. A great rookie who has exceeded expectations on many levels. I'm just pointing out that the offense does have some issues and I don't think that having Garcon in the game changes any of that.

Think the issues are more related to pass protection, and the fact that most of our healthy WR's have had hands of stone over the past couple of games. Sure RGIII is a rookie, and is making some mistakes as a QB. I listen to the radio broadcast for the games, and I hear Sonny, and Doc, point out when receivers were open and RGIII went a different route for whatever reason. While I did not see the Panther game, I did watch the Steeler game and RGIII was hitting the receivers in the hands, and they were dropping the passes. That is not on RGIII.

We just do not have a lot of playmakers on either side of the ball, and less with Rak, Garcon, and Davis gone. Note that our passing offense really started to struggle with the loss of Davis. While Garcon is still pretty much an unknown, he did show more than enough during Pre-season and regular season to be very excited if he were to return to our lineup, healthy. That would give us a sure handed, fast, WR that defenses could not ignore. Right now, none of our WR's are putting any type of scare into the defenses, and this is impacting how they play RGIII. Don't think that the presence of Meriweather will be that significant, but god only knows that he could not be that much worse than what we have seen already.

We do not have the horses that Philly does. Yes, they are down, but heaven only knows we seem to be the cure for what ails many teams.....and sure no one has forgotten the Monday Night Massacre. If that team starts to click on the day they play us, it could get ugly again....especially if Kyle does not figure out how to get the Offense clicking again.

Archived