Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.com: Robert Griffin III already an MVP candidate in Redskins' system

RawBBQSauce

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Ok so I found this article on NFL.com by Bucky Brooks. He illustrates some of the plays we've been talking about and how the Redskins are utilizing his strengths to max capacity.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000082366/article/robert-griffin-iii-already-an-mvp-candidate-in-redskins-system

My question is, if the Redskins make the playoffs and Griffin's total touchdown numbers are comparable to the top-tier guys, could he possibly win ROY and MVP in the same year?

The only guy to do it was Earl Campbell in 1978.

This is a QB driven league, and now we have one. On the one hand I keep thinking lets not get ahead of ourselves. But then i see his stats

we have a core of solid young players at key positions. LT, RB, LB, WR, and of course most importantly QB. Let the building begin. After we get out of cap hell that is lol

I honestly don't believe we make the playoffs this year, which is what it will take for him to be considered. Honestly, I think we would have to at least make it to the NFC Championship game for him to have a good chance of winning both. ROY? Absolutely; I see him winning that easily. But I don't see him winning MVP also. I can see the usual suspects finishing in the MVP discussion by the end of the year, barring any injuries (Ryan, Peyton, Brady, Rodgers, to name a few).

I'm definitely not downplaying his importance. Without him, we'd probably be winless right now. Let the flaming begin. :)

On one hand I say we are only 3-3 and a .500 team should not have a player in the MVP discussion no matter how early it is.

On the other hand, what would our record be without him, and isn't that what the MVP should be about? The player who made his entire team better than it should be.

if he plays the remaining 10 games the way he played the first 6 then ROY is a lock.

MVP - Well... i think he's certainly a candidate, but I take a different approach to the MVP than the league/media and a lot of other people seem to.

To me MVP means - Most Valuable Player - meaning the guy that means the most to his team. To give you an example, I would have considered Peyton Manning the most valuable player of the colts last year; can you think of another guy where removing just him from the team means going from sure-bet super bowl contender to absolute worst team in the league?

At this point I can't think of a player that transforms his team more than Griffin has (so far) transformed the ours. Not one.

That said the NFL/Media/Most other people seem to pick the MVP to be the person that helps lead his team to do the most in the season. I doubt the Redskins are doing to be among the teams that 'do the most' this season, and so I wouldn't expect him to even be in the discussion.

He better be an MVP candidate after the way this kid has played.

Forget this one game at a time stuff, this Griffin kid is awesome and deserves any accolades he gets, because regardless of what we, or the media say, this guy will be laser beam focused on the task at hand.

Why do fans care about this one game at a time stuff anyways, isnt that the players jobs? Do you guys have game tape you are supposed to be avoiding because its not time to review it?

My favorite part of the article is this:

In the following screengrab, the Redskins have called a QB draw for Griffin on 3rd-and-6, with the Minnesota Vikings in a double A-gap blitz. Griffin is assigned to take a few fake dropback steps, then look for an open lane:

Which is, of course, a mistake. If you listen to Griffin and Kyle Shanahan, Shanahan called a pass. The reason I like this so much is that Griffin read the defense, diagnosed the best approach, watched it unfold, and reacted to it so quickly and succesfully that people still think it was a designed run all along (the announcer at the time made the same mistake).

Amazing.

Only if we get deep into the playoffs will he have a shot at MVP, but you never know.

I don't want to think about what he would have to do to lose his obvious lock on ROTY.

well up until last season, MVP was usually announced by the first week of the playoffs. Even with the new system, performance in the playoffs has no bearing on the award. If we included playoff performance in the MVP discussion, I think Tom Brady should have won it over Aaron Rodgers. I don't believe RGIII will win it but if he continues to play at such a high level and leads the Skins to the playoffs, he should definitely stay in the discussion and definitely lock down ROTY and I do give him a really good shot at OPY as well.

---------- Post added October-19th-2012 at 09:44 PM ----------

My favorite part of the article is this:

Which is, of course, a mistake. If you listen to Griffin and Kyle Shanahan, Shanahan called a pass. The reason I like this so much is that Griffin read the defense, diagnosed the best approach, watched it unfold, and reacted to it so quickly and succesfully that people still think it was a designed run all along (the announcer at the time made the same mistake).

Amazing.

yeah... but then again I attribute it to RGIII quickly recognizing the double A gap blitz and processing the information quick enough to take off and make it look like a QB draw.

he could certainly pull it off, and if the skins make the playoffs, he'll have a great shot at mvp.

as of now, he should be in the top 5 for the mvp race, and could easily be considered number 1 so far.

he's got to break records to win the mvp though. he already has a very good highlight run, and being the first rookie qb to have a winning season (i think) will also be important. maintaining the league passing completion % will be invaluable as well.

Archived