Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.com: Robert Griffin III already an MVP candidate in Redskins' system

RawBBQSauce

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

I wonder if Morris will be as much as a contender with III for OROTY

If we are a run first team and most of III at his best is off of play action, Morris may be closer to our MVP than I thought. But all of Shanny's backs dominate so the proverbial question remains, is he that great or a product of the system. But the same can be said of Brady Peyton and others, whose offenses are designed around their strengths.

I wonder if Morris will be as much as a contender with III for OROTY

If we are a run first team and most of III at his best is off of play action, Morris may be closer to our MVP than I thought. But all of Shanny's backs dominate so the proverbial question remains, is he that great or a product of the system. But the same can be said of Brady Peyton and others, whose offenses are designed around their strengths.

Between a QB and an RB, a QB will win every single time.

But our offense is dominant. The main factor is RG3.

He doesn't have as many combined TDs as Rogers or Manning and they are bringing dominant passing attacks (which is more important for a QB than the running game). RG3 has been great but he's not in the MVP conversation IMO. That not to say he can't be but right now I just done see it.

He doesn't have as many combined TDs as Rogers or Manning and they are bringing dominant passing attacks (which is more important for a QB than the running game). RG3 has been great but he's not in the MVP conversation IMO. That not to say he can't be but right now I just done see it.

Well our offense scores more than their offense and probably puts up more yards. Right now I say RG3 is ahead of Peyton and Rodgers in the MVP race. Just because we do have the same record and his wow factor.

We'd be in first place in the division going into week 8 if we win this game. If he goes up to New York and does the sportscenter thing again and we win this game, he deserves to be in the MVP conversation, imo...

No he doesn't. One win a QB is not defined (in my Yoda voice). Unless we have a 11-5 - 13-3 record and he starts tossing more TDs and gets his passing yards up per game, he wont even be considered.

No he doesn't. One win a QB is not defined (in my Yoda voice). Unless we have a 11-5 - 13-3 record and he starts tossing more TDs and gets his passing yards up per game, he wont even be considered.

lol, one game? It's week 7 and we're 3rd in points per game after being one of the lowest scoring offenses over the last decade. The man already has 6 rushing TDs, is leading the league in passing percentage, and is going up against a team that just scraped SF in SF. I don't know if that makes him MVP-elect, but he does deserve to be in that conversation if he wins this game for us.

Flaco, Ryan, Dalton, Sanchez took their teams to the playoffs in their first year and none were even mentioned at the time to be MVP. Personally, he's making plays when needed and is a true leader on the field, a franchise QB and I love the kid, he is flat out dynamic. But, we are a run first team and being the #2 rushing team in the NFL takes away from his stats, which we all know has a huge impact on the voting along with overall team record. Brees should have won it last year, but they gave it to Rodgers cause his team finished 15-1 and the Saints finished what 13-3?

We are a .500 team right now. RGIII is 21st on the list of total passing yards, meaning 20 other QBs have thrown for more yards. But, he leads all QBs in completion %, which is extremely amazing for a rookie. But, he only has 5 passing TDs, which is 26th on the list, but again we are a run first team and most of our points have come on rushing TDs this season. Then he is 3rd in QB rating, with 100.5, which again is amazing for a rookie QB on a historically horrible offense. Then you look at rushing stats, hes 20th in the league (and hes a QB) and he is second in the league for rushing TDs with 6, only one behind the best RB in football right now (Arian Foster). Morris is third in TDs with 5.

The kid is amazing and while the numbers and what he is acomplishing so early in his young career, I think ROY is a lock if he plays at this level the next 10 games, but MVP will not be. For him to be even in the talks I think it will take more than making the playoffs, I think it will take us finishing with a record of 12-4 or 13-3, which very likely will not happen. Our defense still scares me. But for the first time since '99 when we were the second highest scoring team in the NFL (only behind the Greatest Show on Turf) I feel like we can come back and win the game or have a shot if we are behind. Ironically, we are the 2nd highest scoring team in the NFL this season only behind the Pats. I can handle 10-6 and a playoff spot :D

Not Sanchez, Flacco, Dalton, or Ryan was the real reason for that team's success. It was either defense or pure luck. RG3 is having a great season for Vet not just a rookie.

If he is considered an MVP candidate at the end of the year that means we are most likely making a playoff push and I'm pretty certain if you ask RGIII he would prefer playoffs first. So would I.

I have a multitude of bruises on my body from constantly pinching myself because I still can't believe we have a franchise QB after all of these years. My passion, excitement and expectations are high as they've been in years.

Yall are crazy if you think rg3 has not done enough to be at least top 3 in consideration for MVP so far. If he maintains his current progression, he will redefine the way the game is played, kinda like p. Manning did with his extensive pre snap reads. That is worthy of MVP. As long as our record is close to the record of other top performers, he'll have a good shot at mvp. and even if the team doesn't play well, he'll still at least be in consideration.

---------- Post added October-21st-2012 at 09:23 AM ----------

Remember this was the talk about Jason Campbell when we started off 6-2 with jim zorn. That was when we had back to back wins on the road inside the division

people who thought jc had a chance at MVP that year were shortsighted to be kind. Jc is a game manager not a plamaker, they don't win mvps. Cp was the MVP of the skins during that run anyways.

This is a QB driven league, and now we have one. On the one hand I keep thinking lets not get ahead of ourselves. But then i see his stats

we have a core of solid young players at key positions. LT, RB, LB, WR, and of course most importantly QB. Let the building begin. After we get out of cap hell that is lol

you finally take some Prozac? haha

Year 5 of Shanny will be a big one. We get 18 mil back, which means signing 2 elite players. On paper, provided Griffin is still healthy and getting better, we should compete for a long run in the post season that year.

We need 3 players IMO to be top class in the NFL. A premiere safety, a premiere CB and a premiere DE. 2 of those problems can potentially be solved w/ the return of our 18 mil depending on whats available that year in FA.

maybe we can pick up someone w/ one of our 2nd rounders that we get lucky on between now and then.

This team can score points and should only get better. So Defensive secondary should be a priority with RT and DE being next in line. Solve those problems and we are top notch.

lol, one game? It's week 7 and we're 3rd in points per game after being one of the lowest scoring offenses over the last decade. The man already has 6 rushing TDs, is leading the league in passing percentage, and is going up against a team that just scraped SF in SF. I don't know if that makes him MVP-elect, but he does deserve to be in that conversation if he wins this game for us.

You said this:

We'd be in first place in the division going into week 8 if we win this game. If he goes up to New York and does the sportscenter thing again and we win this game, he deserves to be in the MVP conversation, imo...

I know we have won 3 games and are 3-3 and this is week 7.........by your own words, you say if we win we would be in first place in the division going into week 8 he deserves to be in the MVP conversation. That is one game, one win. Its football, it doesnt matter who beat who last year, last month, hell last week. Cowboys went 1-15 back in '89, who did they beat that year? Us. The worst team in NFL history, the Lions that lost 18 straight games, first game they won.......against us.

Point Im trying to make is its 1 game (a huge game right now at this point in the season). Im sorry, but QBs with a 4-3 record after week 7 should not be in the talks unless they are putting up huge numbers and truely making everyone around them better.... He should not be in any MVP conversation talks at this point of the season. Rookie of the year, absolutely. Also, just because we had one of the lowest scoring offenses in the past decade should not have any factor towards him being considered for MVP after 7 weeks. Last time I checked, our offense has had tons and tons of players moved in and out of it that are no longer on the team. Aside from Moss (8yrs), Davis (5yrs), Montgomery (4yrs), the rest of the offense was all during the Shanny era and this year alone we have 6 players that are new to the team (both FA/drafted - I count Plumbus cause we signed him Nov. last yr and he only played 5 games).

Those 6 players in their first year with us are Morgan, Garcon, Robbinson, Morris, RGIII and Polumbus (again, I dont count the 5 games last year). So, explain to me how RGIII made a decade long horrific offense better? It wasnt improving the current pieces in place. He made it better cause he is that dynamic and they built and put pieces around him this year, the main ones being skill positions (3 WRs, RB). Fred Davis was already a beast, Moss was always reliable when healthy. Point Im trying to make is, yeah we have an awesome offense now and Im loving it and it is because we have a true franchise QB. With that said, RGIII did not come into a team with every position on the offense solidified except the QB spot and turn them into winners/division contenders. See Manning, Peyton.

RGIII came in with a ton of new faces/targets and some solid ones in place (Davis, Moss) and he is making huge plays and its fun to watch. But right now, IMO the only QBs that should be in talks for MVP are Schaub, Ryan, Flaco, P. Manning, Brady. P Manning is on the list cause again, he came into Denver and they didnt change anything in place except the QB position for the most part. Brady, cause he is putting up incredible numbers right now. Rogers/Brees.........sorry guys not this year. And you will have to put in a couple of the top RBs.

Also, only 2 rookies have ever won the MVP, both at the running back position and that was Jim Brown and Earl Campbell. Look what Cam Newton did last season and all the records he broke and he wasnt even in the talks.......why? Cause the Panthers finished 6-10. See his stats below:

Most passing yards by a rookie in a game (432), September 18, 2011 vs. Green Bay Packers[62]

Most passing yards by a rookie in a season (4,051), 2011

First rookie in NFL history to pass for more than 400 yards in back to back games, September 11, 2011 vs. Arizona Cardinals and September 18, 2011 vs. Green Bay Packers[62]

First rookie in NFL history to throw for 10 touchdowns and run for 10 touchdowns in a season.

First rookie quarterback to throw for 4,000 yards in a season.

Third most pass TDs (21) in a rookie season.

Most total touchdowns by a rookie NFL player: 35 (21 pass, 14 rush).

Most rushing yards by a rookie quarterback: 706

Most rushing touchdowns in a single season by a quarterback: 14

Along with Andy Dalton, the two make the first pair of rookie QB's to make the Pro Bowl

Not Sanchez, Flacco, Dalton, or Ryan was the real reason for that team's success. It was either defense or pure luck. RG3 is having a great season for Vet not just a rookie.

They all had strong defenses and running games but pure luck? How exactly does one quantify a team's luck?

Flaco, Ryan, Dalton, Sanchez took their teams to the playoffs in their first year and none were even mentioned at the time to be MVP.

outside of dalton, all those QB rode a a rushing attack those years and really solid defenses. and only matt ryan got rookie of the year. joe flacco was a rookie the same year as matt ryan, sanchez lost to harvin (not even sure if he was in the discussion), and dalton lost to newton.

for rg3 to get mvp however, he would need 30+ passing TD, throw for at least 4000 yards, 10+ rushing TDs, rush for 600, and a 12-4 record at the minimum. it won't happen. i would love it to happen but it just won't.

Based on one game.

Good argument, there.

Read my previous posts in this thread.......I said even if we win, he shouldnt be considered for MVP. And only if he starts putting up better passing/TD stats and leads us to a record of like 11-12+ wins, he shouldnt be even considered. And the fact history is against him, only rookies ever to win MVP were RBs and they were Jim Brown and Earl Campbell. We have a loosing record now, how in the hell should he be in any talks other than ROY?

Last time I checked, ROY is more individual based as opposed to MVP. To win an MVP, you have to lead your team to pretty much the best record that year with awesome stats, or be a RB on a good team and break records (see Alexander, Shawn and LT) and put up wins. Team is not doing well, RG3 Stats dont matter in that conversation.

Archived