Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.com: Robert Griffin III already an MVP candidate in Redskins' system

RawBBQSauce

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

This will be a real good discussion in week 15.

Man, I love my ES brothers and sisters, but this is only the week 7. Let the pot cook a bit before we call the chili blue ribbon. :stir:

:helmet: The Rook

The disscussion arose from a artlicle posted on NFL.com. Nobody started the topic on their own whim. It shows the country has taken notice on what a special player he is.

Wow Im in the vast minority here....I say no way

I tend to agree w/ "no way", but that's just based on what we've seen thus far--not extrapolated stats or RG3's potential. If he continues to improve and stay healthy, no doubt in my mind he wins at least one MVP, maybe more, but this year? Seems... ambitious...

This is just my personal opinion, but it seems like RG3 is getting less media attention than Cam Newton did last year, which is kinda baffling to me. I only bring up the media exposure because it inherently plays a role in the MVP race. It'll be interesting to see how this all plays out if he ends the season: #1 in completion %, Top 3 in passer rating and Top 3 in rushing TD's. If that happens, he should win the ROY for the next three years, OPY and be a strong candidate for MVP, but the Skins gotta win some games or those stats won't mean any more than a ton of optimism for the franchise. HTTR!

I would've liked a third option, just so it wasn't so black and white. That way I don't sound like a blind homer or on the flipside a negative nancy.

---------- Post added October-20th-2012 at 01:43 AM ----------

Very little chance. Over the last 10 years the MVP has come from a team with a 12-4 record or better.

Big Blue brings up a good point, and we're just not there yet as a team. Strictly is he the most valuable player to our team than any single player to another team, maybe. That's not really how they do that though.

Well we will know more after this Sunday. I'd like to think a RoY MVP candidate at the end of his season his resume would include *won first NFC East division game on the road against the defending champions dropping them to 0-3 in the division*. I think it will come down to the end like always and fully expect the Redskins to pull it out.

RoY yes. MVP, no i would have him listed as an candidate. He's not even a top 3 QB so far this season let alone the best player in the NFL at the moment. The skins passing game is no where near dominant and it really needs to START there.

I agree with you - ROY yes MVP very unlikely. But you don't grade RGIII just on his passing - although that's impressive enough - you have to factor in his impact in the running game as well. I do agree though that the passing game needs to develop which I'm sure it will as RGIII gets more experienced and as teams start to adjust to take away some of the running threat.

I have to admit I am tickled to see "Griffin III" in the same headline as "MVP," but it is a bit early for this discussion in my mind.

I will say this though, if he continues to produce at his present pace for the rest of the season, or better if he improves over the course of the season, then the answer is yes, you could make a good case for him as the MVP.

Not sure if this has been asked, but has a rookie ever won a league MVP award? I'm not sure, perhaps somebody can back me up here, but I doubt it.

Rookie of the year? Griffin is the early favorite.

MVP? You might make a good case for it, but I'd be surprised to see it.

Okay just looked up the rookie winning MVP thing, and it is exceedingly rare but it has happened.

Earl Campbell in 1978.

Lawrence Taylor with defensive player of the year in 1981.

There is some confusion about the earlier dates, but some people say Jim Brown (1958) and Y.A. Tittle (1963). Not sure about these last two though.

He is not far from being an MVP IMO. Imagine Garcon not getting injured, padding his passing stats.But our top FA grab and top weapon for III, is on the shelf. On a limited budget, his top target out makes III even more valuable to us.

Imagine us not taking 2 of maybe the worst timed unsportsmans at the end of 2 losses. We only have 3 losses. I am not sure we are happy with the teams progress in 3 years without III.

Yet we have seen him scaled back at times. Punting on 4th and 1 vs Cincy after dominating .Easing off the gas vs Tampa end of the first half. Versus Atlanta, we didn't use him to his strengths. We have played not to lose for the most part. Sure Mike is just finding his comfort zones, but our pocket passing pro has been ugly.He has done what he has done largely on the run. He seems a perfect fit for hurry up, yet we play at a slower pace than many MVP's get to play.

Its a passing league so the MVP will probably win the award in large part to his passing TDs, done from the safety of an all pro line. The fact he has rushing TDs, perhaps its a testament to the fact he is more valuable to us. III is just taking the league by storm. This is only the beginning.

Not that RGIII hasn't played great, but this Giants game is going to be a defining moment. If he continues to do what he has done, RGIII will be even more talked about next week, if possible. I am excited about tomorrow. Option the hell out of em early, then mix it up and they will be as lost as Minnesota looked by the second half. But we all Just want to keep him safe at the same time. I think the Giants know whats coming, it is just a matter of stopping it which will be just as hard as our D stopping the Giants O.

Yes, if we make the playoffs and his numbers are solid

No way Jose

Why just the two choices? I think he could win it on his own even if the team fails to make the playoffs, but that is a long shot considering the overall win/loss record.

This will be a real good discussion in week 15.

Man, I love my ES brothers and sisters, but this is only the week 7. Let the pot cook a bit before we call the chili blue ribbon. :stir:

QFT, but the NFL.com brought it up not an ESer.

:helmet: The Rook

If this team were to make the playoffs, RGIII would have to have been the best football player of the last decade, if not since Sammy Baugh.

QFT, he is carrying the team right now, along with Morris, can he keep up this pace without the D stepping up.

I agree with you - ROY yes MVP very unlikely. But you don't grade RGIII just on his passing - although that's impressive enough - you have to factor in his impact in the running game as well. I do agree though that the passing game needs to develop which I'm sure it will as RGIII gets more experienced and as teams start to adjust to take away some of the running threat.

Most likely our team will be .500 at the end unless the team gets on a roll, so you are probably right.

If he got his passing TDs up and we started winning, he would have the stats to do it. I don't think the media would ever give a rookie an MVP, even if he deserved it.

Unless we finish anywhere from 11-5 to 13-3, and he puts up like 25 passing TD's and 10+ rushing TD's. lol

Unless we finish anywhere from 11-5 to 13-3, and he puts up like 25 passing TD's and 10+ rushing TD's. lol

I wonder what the history of MVP candidates is as far as their team record. I think if we get more than 8 wins, regardless of whether we make the playoffs, he has to be considered. This assuming he continues his production at the level he's done so far. Either way, he's a lock for Offensive Rookie of the Year !

RoY yes. MVP, no i would have him listed as an candidate. He's not even a top 3 QB so far this season let alone the best player in the NFL at the moment. The skins passing game is no where near dominant and it really needs to START there.

But our offense is dominant. The main factor is RG3.

Flaco, Ryan, Dalton, Sanchez took their teams to the playoffs in their first year and none were even mentioned at the time to be MVP. Personally, he's making plays when needed and is a true leader on the field, a franchise QB and I love the kid, he is flat out dynamic. But, we are a run first team and being the #2 rushing team in the NFL takes away from his stats, which we all know has a huge impact on the voting along with overall team record. Brees should have won it last year, but they gave it to Rodgers cause his team finished 15-1 and the Saints finished what 13-3?

We are a .500 team right now. RGIII is 21st on the list of total passing yards, meaning 20 other QBs have thrown for more yards. But, he leads all QBs in completion %, which is extremely amazing for a rookie. But, he only has 5 passing TDs, which is 26th on the list, but again we are a run first team and most of our points have come on rushing TDs this season. Then he is 3rd in QB rating, with 100.5, which again is amazing for a rookie QB on a historically horrible offense. Then you look at rushing stats, hes 20th in the league (and hes a QB) and he is second in the league for rushing TDs with 6, only one behind the best RB in football right now (Arian Foster). Morris is third in TDs with 5.

The kid is amazing and while the numbers and what he is acomplishing so early in his young career, I think ROY is a lock if he plays at this level the next 10 games, but MVP will not be. For him to be even in the talks I think it will take more than making the playoffs, I think it will take us finishing with a record of 12-4 or 13-3, which very likely will not happen. Our defense still scares me. But for the first time since '99 when we were the second highest scoring team in the NFL (only behind the Greatest Show on Turf) I feel like we can come back and win the game or have a shot if we are behind. Ironically, we are the 2nd highest scoring team in the NFL this season only behind the Pats. I can handle 10-6 and a playoff spot :D

Archived