Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.com: Robert Griffin III already an MVP candidate in Redskins' system

RawBBQSauce

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

You said this:

I know we have won 3 games and are 3-3 and this is week 7.........by your own words, you say if we win we would be in first place in the division going into week 8 he deserves to be in the MVP conversation. That is one game, one win. Its football, it doesnt matter who beat who last year, last month, hell last week. Cowboys went 1-15 back in '89, who did they beat that year? Us. The worst team in NFL history, the Lions that lost 18 straight games, first game they won.......against us.

Point Im trying to make is its 1 game (a huge game right now at this point in the season). Im sorry, but QBs with a 4-3 record after week 7 should not be in the talks unless they are putting up huge numbers and truely making everyone around them better.... He should not be in any MVP conversation talks at this point of the season. Rookie of the year, absolutely. Also, just because we had one of the lowest scoring offenses in the past decade should not have any factor towards him being considered for MVP after 7 weeks. Last time I checked, our offense has had tons and tons of players moved in and out of it that are no longer on the team. Aside from Moss (8yrs), Davis (5yrs), Montgomery (4yrs), the rest of the offense was all during the Shanny era and this year alone we have 6 players that are new to the team (both FA/drafted - I count Plumbus cause we signed him Nov. last yr and he only played 5 games).

Those 6 players in their first year with us are Morgan, Garcon, Robbinson, Morris, RGIII and Polumbus (again, I dont count the 5 games last year). So, explain to me how RGIII made a decade long horrific offense better? It wasnt improving the current pieces in place. He made it better cause he is that dynamic and they built and put pieces around him this year, the main ones being skill positions (3 WRs, RB). Fred Davis was already a beast, Moss was always reliable when healthy. Point Im trying to make is, yeah we have an awesome offense now and Im loving it and it is because we have a true franchise QB. With that said, RGIII did not come into a team with every position on the offense solidified except the QB spot and turn them into winners/division contenders. See Manning, Peyton.

RGIII came in with a ton of new faces/targets and some solid ones in place (Davis, Moss) and he is making huge plays and its fun to watch. But right now, IMO the only QBs that should be in talks for MVP are Schaub, Ryan, Flaco, P. Manning, Brady. P Manning is on the list cause again, he came into Denver and they didnt change anything in place except the QB position for the most part. Brady, cause he is putting up incredible numbers right now. Rogers/Brees.........sorry guys not this year. And you will have to put in a couple of the top RBs.

Also, only 2 rookies have ever won the MVP, both at the running back position and that was Jim Brown and Earl Campbell. Look what Cam Newton did last season and all the records he broke and he wasnt even in the talks.......why? Cause the Panthers finished 6-10. See his stats below:

Most passing yards by a rookie in a game (432), September 18, 2011 vs. Green Bay Packers[62]

Most passing yards by a rookie in a season (4,051), 2011

First rookie in NFL history to pass for more than 400 yards in back to back games, September 11, 2011 vs. Arizona Cardinals and September 18, 2011 vs. Green Bay Packers[62]

First rookie in NFL history to throw for 10 touchdowns and run for 10 touchdowns in a season.

First rookie quarterback to throw for 4,000 yards in a season.

Third most pass TDs (21) in a rookie season.

Most total touchdowns by a rookie NFL player: 35 (21 pass, 14 rush).

Most rushing yards by a rookie quarterback: 706

Most rushing touchdowns in a single season by a quarterback: 14

Along with Andy Dalton, the two make the first pair of rookie QB's to make the Pro Bowl

The redskins would've been 1st place in the division with an inside track on winning it if we won today. If you're argument is that he shouldn't be considered because we aren't winning, you would be wrong if we won this game. Griffin basically won that game for us, even though Eli took it back, and this is not the first game that's happened. Griffin is having a lot of his own fourth quarter heroics. With our secondary, we may not have a single win without Griffin. We were ranked 16th in total offense and 26th in points per game last year. He has made that much of a difference for this team, despite the injuries and lack of talent on his side of the ball.

You keep going on and on and on and on about this being one game. 7 games in and could've been in first place? Ya, he would've deserved it. Now we lost, but he's still leading the league in passing percentage and 7 games in still has a 100.5 passer rating, which is third in the league behind Brady and Manning who's teams both are at .500 right now (that's something Cam never lead in and finished 2011 with an 84.5 passer rating). Despite 4 turnovers and more injuries, we still got 480 yards of offense? Is your argument that he doesn't deserve it because we aren't winning and that's it? What if we do make the playoffs?

The redskins would've been 1st place in the division with an inside track on winning it if we won today. If you're argument is that he shouldn't be considered because we aren't winning, you would be wrong if we won this game. Griffin basically won that game for us, even though Eli took it back, and this is not the first game that's happened. Griffin is having a lot of his own fourth quarter heroics. With our secondary, we may not have a single win without Griffin. We were ranked 16th in total offense and 26th in points per game last year. He has made that much of a difference for this team, despite the injuries and lack of talent on his side of the ball.

You keep going on and on and on and on about this being one game. 7 games in and could've been in first place? Ya, he would've deserved it. Now we lost, but he's still leading the league in passing percentage and 7 games in still has a 100.5 passer rating, which is third in the league behind Brady and Manning who's teams both are at .500 right now (that's something Cam never lead in and finished 2011 with an 84.5 passer rating). Despite 4 turnovers and more injuries, we still got 480 yards of offense? Is your argument that he doesn't deserve it because we aren't winning and that's it? What if we do make the playoffs?

Ok, Im actually not going to go back on my stance that I have posted. Im going to take a new approach on this, probably the one I should have prior to my posting anything in this thread. If Griffen won the MVP, I'd be pumped up with the rest of them. I love this kid and words cant describe how happy (my wife included) I am about what RG3 has done in just seven games. My new look on the whole MVP talk is this, no players name should come up until after 10-12 games have been played. Preferably 12, then you are going into the last qtr of the regular season and you have a more accurate perspective on players that should be in the running.

After 12 games, if your team is sitting at 4-8, no player on your team should be considered in MVP talk. Meaning, sitting at week 13/14 if your teams QB/RB/Whatever is putting up numbers, playing great, making everyone around him better and your team record is say 8-4 or 9-3 then yeah your in the talks.

But after 7 games, no player should be considered unless they have zero to one loss.

Ok, Im actually not going to go back on my stance that I have posted. Im going to take a new approach on this, probably the one I should have prior to my posting anything in this thread. If Griffen won the MVP, I'd be pumped up with the rest of them. I love this kid and words cant describe how happy (my wife included) I am about what RG3 has done in just seven games. My new look on the whole MVP talk is this, no players name should come up until after 10-12 games have been played. Preferably 12, then you are going into the last qtr of the regular season and you have a more accurate perspective on players that should be in the running.

After 12 games, if your team is sitting at 4-8, no player on your team should be considered in MVP talk. Meaning, sitting at week 13/14 if your teams QB/RB/Whatever is putting up numbers, playing great, making everyone around him better and your team record is say 8-4 or 9-3 then yeah your in the talks.

But after 7 games, no player should be considered unless they have zero to one loss.

You're right, that's very different then what you said in your last post. Guess we'll just have to come back to this in November/December then...

This. I feel confident RGIII would rather have a playoff run more than an individual accolade.

so what? this thread isn't about the playoffs.

personally, i don't think yesterday's performance hurt the case for RG3 as MVP. if anything, it only highlighted how he is singularly capable of winning any game for a crappy team.

Archived