Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How much value would you put into the second game of the season?

OxonHillSkinsFan89

Agreed, this is my concern as well. Fisher and that defense almost pulled out a win against one of the most explosive offenses in the league. This is going to be a knock down, drag out fight. Our defense better be ready to shut them down, because their defense won't be nearly as lax as the Saints. They're going to be ready to play, and like this man said, they have great talents on every level.

What's going to be interesting is to see how the Rams defense sets up differently from the Saints. The Saints didn't know what to expect and it showed in the first half. The Rams have one set of film to work from, and a better defense (last year, and it looked good on Sunday) than the Saints, so I don't expect a high scoring game.

The value will be if RG3 plays something like as well as he did against the Saints; that will give us some hope for consistency. He doesn't have to have a 100+ QB rating. Another week without a turnover would be a good sign.

The real tests come later, by week 7 when we play the Giants and they have 6 games of film to study. We play some tough, tough defenses later on.

It's only a trap game if we take them lightly and go into it with unrealistic expectations. The Rams have the potential to do some damage, they are not a gimme game by any stretch, and I fully expect that Shanahan, Rob's parents and even Rob himself are going to keep his head in the game and not in the rave reviews he's getting.

This is arguably the single greatest attribute that Griffin brings, he is a dedicated worker, he takes his job seriously and will not be out clubbin and laffin it up even if others are.

A fact about the Saints game that shouldn't go unrecognized is the massive changes in their coaching ranks. Even though they are all guys from Payton's staff, a new coach is going to have to get used to in-game adjustments, play calling when the bullets are flying.

To me, the next couple of games are a truer test of our team and rookie QB. As someone already mentioned, Jeff Fisher is a savvy coach. I fully expect a tougher second outing for RG3 and wouldn't be surprised to see us struggle to win or even lose this one. That's OK, though. Rookie QB. He needs to take his lumps this year.

Janoris Jenkins and Cortland Finnegan both scare me, I thought Jenkins was a better cover corner than Claiborne coming out of the draft...

I think the key here will not be Griffin, I think if our run game and pass rush steps up and takes advantage of the mismatch we should be able to win this, if the pass rush stalls and the run game can't find a rhythm I think we will be in for a very long game. The Rams offensive line and run defense are horrible as in like worst in the league, at least they were last year. Bradford looks like he might have improved a bit from his terrible sophomore campaign but with Orakpo and Kerrigan coming at him I can see him getting nervous and making mistakes and he is not a world beater/4 TD a game QB, I think we can handle their offense if the secondary holds up. It should be a good game but it makes me nervous, I think we might have trouble on this one because we seem to always play pretty shaky against the Rams recently.

Next 3 games to me are gimme games. Should be able to coast thru-hopefully without injuries. I don't consider the next 3 teams big threats unless the 'skins become too relaxed. Instead, they should come out and shut up the nay-sayers. Make a statement with offense and defense. Try holding them to 10 or less points while the 'skins score 20+ points each game.

this game determine if this team can make a jump from 7 wins to a 9 win team. I truly believe if this team is 2-0 and coming back to Fedex and that we are 4-0 and playing ATL

Whoa, getting ahead of yourself. The Buccaneers have a pretty smashmouth team going on. They manhandled the Panthers Sunday. We'll be on the road. I say we will be favored over the Bengals when they come to our house, but let's just play the Rams first.

believe it or not this Rams game is a must win in order for this team to take that next step into being a winner. for many years we have seen the Redskins play to the level of the teams they are playing against. we need to take that next step into whipping the teams that are not on the level of the Saints and other good teams like them.

Next 3 games to me are gimme games. Should be able to coast thru-hopefully without injuries. I don't consider the next 3 teams big threats unless the 'skins become too relaxed..

First there is no such thing as a gimmie game in the NFL. Second which is it - are we coasting or making sure we are not too relaxed?

Lets just take care of the Rams and play each week as it comes.

Well as far as putting the game away, I hope the coaches tell Orakpo that even a caveman could have caught that interception.

I also hope they let him know that it wasn't funny and was nothing to laugh about.

Anyone that drops a "gimme" interception in a game should be made to spend an hour after every practice the next week catching balls.

It happened with multiple players in the preseason and seems to be continuing into the regular season.

Kerrigan had one earlier in the game he couldn't hold onto also. That one might have gone for 6.

Well as far as putting the game away, I hope the coaches tell Orakpo that even a caveman could have caught that interception.

I also hope they let him know that it wasn't funny and was nothing to laugh about.

Anyone that drops a "gimme" interception in a game should be made to spend an hour after every practice the next week catching balls.

It happened with multiple players in the preseason and seems to be continuing into the regular season.

Kerrigan had one earlier in the game he couldn't hold onto also. That one might have gone for 6.

I was dissapointed in those drops. Kerrigan's less so because it was knocked out of his hands by Darren Sproles I think it was (who turned into a defender), still would have liked to see him take that one. Orakpo's drop was a let down, but not too suprising since it really isn't his game, I was so excited to see Orakpo's first career interception and I suppose he just was not expecting the ball right there, if we had lost that game I think he would have taken a lot of heat, thank God we won. Also kinda bummed that Orakpo didn't record a sack (I think).

We are just plagued by a lot of drops, in preseason and in the Saints game. I think we really need to run some catching drills for everybody, not just people who dropped them. One of these days the drops are going to lose us some critical games.

Yeah they need to have a day of volleyball using footballs instead of volleyballs lol. They've consistently dropped almost everything they touch since Rogers was drafted. Other than Hall and ST we've had nobody that can hold onto 25% of what hits them square in the hands.

I would have said Skins -7 but Vegas says -3.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/gaming/sheridan.htm

-7 is a big margin...It will probably end up being -5 by sunday.

---------- Post added September-11th-2012 at 10:48 AM ----------

Next 3 games to me are gimme games. Should be able to coast thru-hopefully without injuries. I don't consider the next 3 teams big threats unless the 'skins become too relaxed. Instead, they should come out and shut up the nay-sayers. Make a statement with offense and defense. Try holding them to 10 or less points while the 'skins score 20+ points each game.

Craziness. Bucs are a solid team. Bengals were a playoff team last year. Definitely not gimmes...then again this is the NFL, no game is a gimme

Yeah they need to have a day of volleyball using footballs instead of volleyballs lol. They've consistently dropped almost everything they touch since Rogers was drafted. Other than Hall and ST we've had nobody that can hold onto 25% of what hits them square in the hands.

It's the Curse Of Roberto Duran

I'm with the crowd that this game is quite important IF we are actually building something for this year.

That qualifier is meaningful in that most of us would not have expected a great season with a rookie QB. Signs of improvement, sure, but, none of us reasonably expected double digit wins and strong contention. None of us should as yet, but, the way the Saints game went was especially of interest because we were clearly the better team. That's man for man, we were. Everything we got, largely, was easy. Guys were open. Nothing seemed forced or pressed. Importantly, nothing really seemed surprising. We just cruised. Everything they had was hard. Everyone was covered. So many passes contested. Looking at the review of many of Brees' passes you have to wonder how many other QBs even conceive of throwing some of those balls into those windows due to how tight the coverage was. And much of their success was irregular. A blocked punt for a score. A fourth and 10 lob for a score.

This game is somewhat similar to the Giants opener last year in that we played against a good team and didn't seem to lack the ability to play with that team. As injuries mounted and Beck took place, things took a downward turn.

That game, though, was at home. Here we were on the road and dominated a team almost everyone agrees is a Top 5 group. We were, legitimately, better than them.

Now, we still have a rookie QB, and it is certain teams will adjust and force us to change what we do, at which point we'll see more of what we really have in Griffin. So, the importance of the Rams game thinking we'll be improved, record reflecting such improvement or not, but not really contending is less than the importance of the Rams game thinking we're really emerging. Frankly this is a game all recent Redskin teams lose WHEN those Redskin teams have a real chance to solidify success and start to poke out of the suckdom hole. Losing, therefore, would be routine for what this team has been and probably continues to be. Winning against the youngest team in the league with a new coach isn't THAT exciting and though it builds on the Saints win, doesn't mean we've arrived, but it would mean we can take care of business when no one expects us to AND THEN, oddly for us, follow it up by taking care of business when EVERYONE expects us to.

That's a positive step, regardless of how the season ultimately turns out.

So, I'll sit in the camp that winning this is meaningful for the Redskins, as an organization, beyond just what happens in 2012. It's a step we don't usually take and is a step toward eventual success.

I'd venture to say that this game has a significantly bigger meaning to this team than we could imagine. As we know, we have three away games in the first quarter of the schedule. Beating the Saints was a huge lift for this team and truly produced confidence-building momentum. In years past, this game would have scared the **** out of me. However, I feel like this team believes in itself and that the players know they have a true, bonafide QB in Griffin. Therefore, I, for one, feel like this team won't have a letdown and will take care of business Sunday vs. the Rams.

I also believe that it's crucial for the Skins to handle up on teams through the first quarter of the schedule. In fact, I'm believing that it's a very real possibility of being 4-0 going into the Falcons game in Week 5. Call me crazy, but I could easily see that happening.

This is a tough game. Saints were on our players minds for 6 months. rams for 6 days. It's hard to get that energy 2 weeks in a row. And it's the Rams opener. Tough game for us. That being said RG 3 is the best player on earth (kind of kidding on that).

The players may have only been thinking about the Rams for 6 days, but I would hope the coaches have been game planning for the week 2 game for much longer. I doubt the coaches waited until Monday to begin looking at game film and team weaknesses. I expect another top shelf game plan from our coaches. If we get that, then it comes down to our players executing the plan. I think they will execute the plan with authority and win by more than seven!!!

PS - The Raven's showed last night that our week 3 team is beatable too!!

Every game counts, and there are only 16 contests in the entire regular season; that is, one football game means more than one baseball game or basketball game. In order to win it is important that no player or coach takes the upcoming game lightly; and there is a natural tendency after a win to relax slightly (loose a little focus and intensity). In this game (coming after a big win in the opening game of the season) it will be important for coaches to stress that it will take the same focus and intensity in this game as it took to win the New Orleans game. We need to consistently play with the same mental and physical effort in each game, in every play in order to be consistent winners. Not only is this game important, every play is important; that is what a winning attitude is all about. At the end of the season a single loss might mean not making the playoffs (that is why this game is so important).

what are the expectations if we post 40 points again this weekend considering we are playing on the road again, does this mean that the Skins have arrived or are just getting started...i understand the Rams arent the best team in the league, but if we start beating the lesser lights comfortably where does this put us in relation to the other teams in the NFL in particular NFC,

Archived