Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

OK I got asked a logic/IQ question in an assesment for a job

DeaconTheVillain

So here is the question and I will post my answers ninja style. I don't know if they are correct or not, but I will explain why I chose them.

John and Mary Hazlitt left the airport and carried their bags into their high-rise apartment building. They admired the gifts they had brought back - an illustrated book for themselves; a stylish business suit for their daughter Helen; and the Scotch whiskey John's boss had asked for.

John and Mary most likely:

Forbade the drinking of alcohol

Discouraged the drinking of alcohol

Encouraged the drinking of alcohol

Can't tell

John and Mary Hazlitt left the airport and carried their bags into their high-rise apartment building. They admired the gifts they had brought back - an illustrated book for themselves; a stylish business suit for their daughter Helen; and the Scotch whiskey John's boss had asked for.

John and Mary most likely:

Read more than others

Read as much as others

Read less than others

Can't tell

My answers: D and C. D because I simply felt WTF I dunno. They might not condone drinking, but it was their boss who asked. Don't wanna make the boss mad.

I chose C, read less than others, because it was an illustrated book and they were sharing it. Although, now I am 2nd guessing myself because the other information seems to imply that they are educated (high rise apt, buying suit, boss asking for Scotch seems to imply white collar work) and therefore maybe read. So maybe the correct answers were D and D and this was a question to see if I would jump to conclusions. Or maybe there is no right answer and im going crazy trying to figure this out.

---------- Post added June-7th-2012 at 12:56 AM ----------

If I could fill in my own answer, it would be that clearly the alcoholic boss knocked up the daughter while they were on vacation

Looks like an LSAT question...

Since they 'admired the gifts', they must admire the alcohol they bought for their boss (even if they only bought it because he wanted it). So C) Encouraged the drinking of alcohol, should be correct.

I believe the correct answer to the second question is D) Can't tell. Them admiring the book, does not give any information about how much they read relative to everyone else. Lots of people buy books.

These types of questions are always annoying, doesn't ever seem like there is an answer. It's all subjective, based on what the person answering has determined is normal and/or what they have seen other people do in similar situations. A person raised in a household (likely a highly religious one) will potentially think that these people encouraged drinking because if they forbade it, they wouldn't have bought it. Similarly, a non well-read person may jsut think an illustrated book is for "non-educated" people.

I would go with can't tell for the first one. People who don't drink or don't like alcohol still buy it for friends/co-workers/family if it's a nice or requested bottle.

As for the 2nd one, due to their lifestyle (high-rise, likely meaning living in a downtown area, stylish suit), I could go with A or D here. They admired this illustrated book. I kinda see it like a coffee table or other book. I don't think it being illustrated has any bearing on how much they read, some illustrated books are pretty impressive out there. Therefover, I don't mind it being D either and D is probably the better answer.

Thats Easy:

Mom reads the book on the plane while Dad drinks 'his' bottle of scotch and does bad things to the serving cart. Dad then reads it waiting for release from airport authority to his Deluxe apartment in the sky. They own a drycleaners store shown by their gift to the daughter to continue their sudden fame and lack a gift to their maid Florence.

I have to ask Technical Questions (TQ) and behavioral questions (BQ)

I alternate them and each person gets the same exact questions. Then turn them in the HR.

Obviously, they're Mormon

I think you have an extra "m" in there.

What kind of job is this you were interviewing for? Personally, being asked this kind of question in an interview would make me seriously reconsider whether I want to work there. Unless your job requires you to tolerate inanity on a regular basis? Then in that case it was a good test to see how well you can restrain yourself and maintain professionalism.

I think you have an extra "m" in there.

What kind of job is this you were interviewing for? Personally, being asked this kind of question in an interview would make me seriously reconsider whether I want to work there. Unless your job requires you to tolerate inanity on a regular basis? Then in that case it was a good test to see how well you can restrain yourself and maintain professionalism.

The position was a job at a staffing agency.

---------- Post added June-7th-2012 at 08:59 AM ----------

A lot of this stuff was a personality assessment, but then they also had questions like the one in the OP and they had lots of analogies.

Encouraged the drinking of alcohol, ---- Hello they bought this guy Alcohol for him, even if he asked for it and paid for it, they are still facilitating it by buying it and handing it to them.. They are literally "encouraging" drinking by doing so.

"Read more than others" - they bought a book on vacation and they have some trappings of wealth or prosperity... I would say in a country with nearly 18% true unemployment numbers that's evidence they were well read, and educated... also "stylish" business suit suggests they have taste...

This is a phycology exam question... it's not geared towards you haveing a right or wrong answer it's more geared twards trying to diagnose something about the person who answers.. Do you attmpt to reason out the question, do you throw up your hands shout out an explitive, are you thoughtful; etc....

Do you go home and shoot yourself cause you're so anal you must know the right answer to every question... This is the kind of question which would lead some people to such.

Encouraged the drinking of alcohol, ---- Hello they bought this guy Alcohol for him, even if he asked for it and paid for it, they are still facilitating it by buying it and handing it to them.. They are literally "encouraging" drinking by doing so.

"Read more than others" - they bought a book on vacation and they have some trappings of wealth or prosperity... I would say in a country with nearly 18% true unemployment numbers that's evidence they were well read, and educated... also "stylish" business suit suggests they have taste...

This is a phycology exam question... it's not geared towards you haveing a right or wrong answer it's more geared twards trying to diagnose something about the person who answers.. Do you attmpt to reason out the question, do you throw up your hands shout out an explitive, are you thoughtful; etc....

Do you go home and shoot yourself cause you're so anal you must know the right answer to every question... This is the kind of question which would lead some people to such.

JMS, I must say your postings lately (for the most part) reek of logic, thoughtfulness, reason, and objectivity. Did someone change the robot over there?

Is this supposed to be some kind of obscure riddle? Maybe I'm bad with people, but I don't see any information that would reveal answers to either of those questions.

That they bought the boss whiskey and then admired it indicates they most likely don't forbid or probably even discourage drinking alcohol while the question asks what is most likely true not what is true and is multiple choice tells you the can't tell is wrong. As to the second question, I'd agree but that is based on my experience. The questions are not so much about are you able to draw accurate conclusions but are able to read or how you interpret such phrases as most likely and whether you realize that multiple choice questions are about selecting the best answer from the set not necessarily the completely correct answer.

---------- Post added June-7th-2012 at 07:51 AM ----------

There is no wrong answer.

As part of the test results there is probably a breakout of what type of person selects which answer. They will judge your personality/thinking based on your selection.

I have to agree somewhat. The keys are that the question asks what is most likely true, not what is true, and that the answers are restricted.

That they bought the boss whiskey and then admired it indicates they most likely don't forbid or probably even discourage drinking alcohol while the question asks what is most likely true not what is true and is multiple choice tells you the can't tell is wrong. As to the second question, I'd agree but that is based on my experience. The questions are not so much about are you able to draw accurate conclusions but are able to read or how you interpret such phrases as most likely and whether you realize that multiple choice questions are about selecting the best answer from the set not necessarily the completely correct answer.

My problem with the alcohol one, though, is that your process of elimination gets rid of the two negative scenarios, but there's nothing that shows the positive--that they actually encourage it. Had they bought the boss Whiskey on their own, rather than being specifically asked to bring him some, then I'd agree that they encourage it, however in this scenario they seem like passive actors when it comes to alcohol. They were asked to get it so they did, which as you pointed out, does provide some evidence that they aren't against it, but I don't feel it's enough to say they actively encourage drinking.

Archived