Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is it ethical to teach your children that people who do not believe in God are going to Hell?

alexey

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Is it ethical to teach your children that people who do not believe in God are going to Hell?
Well sure, if that's what you believe. I don't see the need to be personal about it - little Suzie, don't be like Mr. and Mrs. Godless because they're going to burn in hell forever - but in general if you believe it there's nothing wrong with teaching it, its your obligation.

Just as there's nothing wrong with atheists teaching their kids that churchgoers are people who believe in strange fairy tales. No need to make it personal by telling them Reverend Jones is an idiot who worships an imaginary friend in the sky, just teach your kids that this is how some people comfort themselves.

edit: I see some responses questioning whether they really do go to hell, or whether you have the right to make that judgement. I didn't think that was the point of the question.

Might as well say "do you believe in God". I think somebody asked the question "why do you believe in God" in the other thread. That might have been a better thread.

Now I'm curious to find out which posters actually think Adam and Eve really happened, but I'm glad I won't.

Was with a young adult group meeting last year and the priest was discussing the theology of Hell.

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?357363-Hell

Right off the bat, he said that the Catholic church has not declared anyone to definitely be in hell. We, humans, just don't know because we don't know if the grace of God has saved them at the last second. Even people who commit suicide. Suicide by definition is a willful act, so if you're mentally unstable then you're not acting willfully.

Further, there isn't a definition in the bible (IIRC) that says hell is a fiery location, but rather the idea of Hell is just having no relationship with God. So you could be in hell while still alive. So, by Catholic definition, not believing in God IS hell because you have no relationship with HIm.

Penn Jillette says it is ethical, in fact he says that if you believe someone is not going to inherit eternal life and you don't tell them then that is the equivalent of hating that person. I posted this video in the thread in which this question was originally asked of me, so I'll just link it here.

Indoctrinating children into a religion is unethical. But, if we let them grow up and make up their own minds, there won't be any religion. Can't have that. What I would ask these people is if they believe that the non-believer DESERVES an eternity of torture for not believing in their god (or because of the geography of his birth).

Penn Jillette says it is ethical, in fact he says that if you believe someone is not going to inherit eternal life and you don't tell them then that is the equivalent of hating that person. I posted this video in the thread in which this question was originally asked of me, so I'll just link it here.

But what if the best way to get through to someone is not to to tell them they are going to hell, but to befriend them, and then some time later, just ask them if they would like to come to church with you?

Even in Penn's story, the fan did not tell him he was going to hell, he gave him a bible in a very polite way.

I think the duty to proselytize is clear when you are on a missions trip, where you know you are in a population that does not know God and has had little exposure to the Bible. But in everyday American life, you are not meeting many people who have no exposure to Christianity. People generally already have strongly held views about Christianity, and telling them that they are going to hell does not bring them to the flock.

I think it is a much more powerful force to live your life as a Christian, to treat others well, to talk about Christ when it is relevant, and to invite people to your church when you see an opportunity. I think that brings a lot more people to Christ than harsh warnings about heaven and hell.

Are you going to warn them about hell in church?

I agree with your theme and don't support using fear and damnation as a tool....but do believe in a hell of some sort

Bringing children to religious events is the equivalent of brainwashing, in my opinion. Having suffered through the Methodist version of such brain washing (and depending upon WHICH Methodist version we attended, no card playing, no dancing, no images of anything including a crucifix just a plain cross), children are taught that if someone doesn't believe as they do, those people are sinners or whatever the religious organization's equivalent of sin is.

I think that if adults want to believe in these myths, then they can certainly make their choice, but to indoctrinate children is no less than brainwashing.

So let me get this straight. Bringing a child to a religious event or indoctrinating a child into a religion is unethical. But a non-religious person completely dismissing a religion as "brain washing" and basically declaring anyone who practices a religion is stupid? Perfectly fine.

I love the irony on this board. "I hate it when people tell me how to be or stick their nose into how I live MY life, but let me tell you how you should live yours"....

Bringing children to religious events is the equivalent of brainwashing, in my opinion. Having suffered through the Methodist version of such brain washing (and depending upon WHICH Methodist version we attended, no card playing, no dancing, no images of anything including a crucifix just a plain cross), children are taught that if someone doesn't believe as they do, those people are sinners or whatever the religious organization's equivalent of sin is.

I think that if adults want to believe in these myths, then they can certainly make their choice, but to indoctrinate children is no less than brainwashing.

The whole learning process is, effectively, brainwashing per the manner the term is being used here. Doesn't mean there's absolutely no merit to it.

Indoctrinating children into a religion is unethical. But, if we let them grow up and make up their own minds, there won't be any religion. Can't have that. What I would ask these people is if they believe that the non-believer DESERVES an eternity of torture for not believing in their god (or because of the geography of his birth).

So how do you explain people who grew up without any "indoctrination" to any religion (say, in a village somewhere that hasn't had exposure to any religions) having theological revelations and converting to a religion? I've personally met 3 or 4 people who have had that experience.

So how do you explain people who grew up without any "indoctrination" to any religion (say, in a village somewhere that hasn't had exposure to any religions) having theological revelations and converting to a religion? I've personally met 3 or 4 people who have had that experience.
This comes up in every religious thread. Left to themselves, society will eradicate religion simply by educating themselves because it is common knowledge that educated people are less religious than the uneducated. Then the circle begins where people take offense at being called stupid for being religious. And others claim they are only stating fact and make antagonistic comments about religion and war and murder. yada yada yada, blah blah blah

I certainly think it's ethical.

(I would think that, if I were the parent, then as the child becomes older, and can accept more nuance, I'd teach him that "This is what I, personally, believe. But other people don't. And I can't PROVE that they're wrong. They may be right." I'd try to teach him that just because you believe this, doesn't give you the right to be a jerk about it. (In fact, that being a jerk is at least kind-of a sin.) I'd teach him that the time will come when he will decide for himself on this matter.

In short, I'd try to teach him to be a grownup about it.

But yes, it's certainly ethical to educate him in the parent's belief system.

In fact, I'm stunned that, at least so far, 50% of the respondents have said that it isn't.

Archived